Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

FutureFriend posted:

im kinda sad yoko taro actually learned on how to write compelling characters whose trials and tribulations you feel for because caim being an rear end in a top hat who kicks children and old men in the head is still the best thing

He always knew how. Caim was intentionally a psychopath you were not intended to really sympathize with (aside from his one moment of humanity with Ending A there).

To add some context: Caim was an intentional parody of Dynasty Warriors type game protagonists, the kind of lunatic who would ENJOY murdering soldiers by the thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pesky Splinter posted:

His loss was great.

Well I'll be! :stonkhat:

RareAcumen posted:

I can't remember what thread it was where I read it but people were talking about Suda51 and I think someone else too- the games in the discussion were Killer is Dead and Shadow of the damned and I remember the thing being that one game was told 'tone back the weirdness' [Shadow] and the other one was told to pump it up [Killer] and that's why poo poo like the Giggalo missions existed in the first place.

I'll try and find where it was that people were talking about it because my memory sucks.

I think it's quite prophetic that Suda51's most playable game, Shadows of the Damned, was made in conjunction with Capcom alumnus Shinji Mikami. Because now Yoko Taro is making a game with the Capcom alumni at Platinum Games as well!

Good things are in our future.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

[REDACTED]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 9, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I think it's quite prophetic that Suda51's most playable game, Shadows of the Damned, was made in conjunction with Capcom alumnus Shinji Mikami. Because now Yoko Taro is making a game with the Capcom alumni at Platinum Games as well!

Good things are in our future.

Yeah, Scalebound and Nier Automata just looked like Dynasty Warriors or Drakengard with a stable framerate to me. Nothing against that though but I can see Platinum's putting some work in there.

And I'm also sorry to say that I never managed to find that thread I was looking for. :sigh:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Careful now, Ikwaylx reads this thread too! :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Obligatum VII posted:

He always knew how. Caim was intentionally a psychopath you were not intended to really sympathize with (aside from his one moment of humanity with Ending A there).

To add some context: Caim was an intentional parody of Dynasty Warriors type game protagonists, the kind of lunatic who would ENJOY murdering soldiers by the thousands.
Not sure if it was a parody since there are a number of crazy people in those games. Maybe a low budget knock off of Dynasty Warriors.

I forgot that Drakengard had its happy moments. The true story of Leonard is hosed up.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

FutureFriend posted:

im kinda sad yoko taro actually learned on how to write compelling characters whose trials and tribulations you feel for because caim being an rear end in a top hat who kicks children and old men in the head is still the best thing

You say that but he still openly admits he expects us to feel bad for the characters and unite with them via suffering through the lovely gameplay.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Yoko Taro is one of those directors that makes games with pretty engaging, unique stories, but just the worst gameplay, like early Suda51 and Swery. You can imagine, then, why people were excited to see that he's making a game with Platinum.

To be fair to Nier itself, the gameplay isn't that bad in terms of the basic combat (especially as compared to Drakengard). It flows really smoothly, Nier is super-fast and fun to control, and the fighting usually feels nice and weighty (such as when getting hit by the goats/boar). The combat can get repetitive, but its not like in Drakengard where you need to mow through 500 dudes at a time. Now, there are elements of gameplay that are pretty bad that I won't talk about as they haven't come up yet, but I want to emphasize that Nier is actually fun to play for the most part.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The soundtrack to this game is, in my opinion, the best soundtrack to any piece of media, interactive or otherwise this side of Chrono Trigger.

Gonna be fun to re-experience this thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What happened to the blind dude with the fairy? Is he just in the background with you for all these other scenes or did I miss a part where he runs off somewhere?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like Jordan said, for the most part, your party members don't figure in the story at all after they're introduced.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Oh boy! I'm in before the game has a chance to really get soul crushing.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

ChorpSaway posted:

I feel like the difference between the two is that, from what I understand, Suda just comes up with an idea and then lets a staff of writers work on it, so his actual input is light. Yoko Taro on the other hand seems to be part of the process throughout the entire development. So I think while that still stands, Yoko Taro's special brand of storytelling will continue to shine because he puts the work in for his ideas.

Its just such a balance that I worry it will either be trying too hard to be weird, or be too polished to have his charm. I hope that whatever he is doing, he keeps doing it well. Based on interviews for Automata it sounds like he also pushes gameplay to do odd (possibly inadvisable) things, which do add a certain charm and unique feeling to the game. I know in an interview for automata he came up with the idea of having a boss that purposefully tanks the framerate or drops the resolution. Having him helm a competent team is either the best or worst possible thing, and I am really hoping it makes something memorable.

Of Drakengard 1... I decided to pop my disk in and try playing some of it again. I forgot how absolutely painful that game was to play for any amount of time. It is so clunky, and it just goes on and on. Did any of the warriors games ever try adding anything like the dragon, because gameplay-wise I think it would be a neat addition if it was done remotely competently. While I think drakengard 1 has a unique charm for its story and music, the game is absolutely miserable.

Jordan, are you planning on talking about Drakengard 3 in another intermission? (or I guess 2 as well? 2 does not seem relevant in any real way to me though.)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm really enjoying the retrospectives on these games - they really are broken as gently caress, but they definitely have a unique pathos driving them, something that compels people to play and even derive some kind of enjoyment from them despite the abysmal gameplay. Nier definitely improves in terms of it actually being pretty fun to play, but there's a whole hell of a lot of rough edges. Can't wait to see what you guys have to say about the other titles, I'm loosely familiar with them, enough to know that Drakengard 1 is going to be outdone on every possible 'crazy' front.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Jordan, I hope your nerve issues aren't paining you too much :(. I just discovered this thread and it's a++++ would watch again so far.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah, your let's plays are always good and chill and enjoyable to watch

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
I'm glad there's at least a new Nier LP, especially with Automata on its way. I've played the game through 100% twice and read id's thread, and I don't think I'd ever get tired of hearing people talk about this game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Jordan, I hope your nerve issues aren't paining you too much :(. I just discovered this thread and it's a++++ would watch again so far.

Looper posted:

yeah, your let's plays are always good and chill and enjoyable to watch

Thanks for the words of encouragement, you two! :kimchi:

I guess now that this thread has been bumped back to the first page again I should explain why there hasn't been an update in a little while. Ikwaylx is going to be out of town for a while and we won't be able to record until he gets back. He couldn't specify exactly how long he'd be gone for, but I'm assuming it'll be at least a month or two.

If you're an indiscriminate fan of ~My Brand~ you can look forward to some other stuff I'll be putting up on Youtube soon. But as far as the NieR LP goes, that's going to have to take a break for a bit.

Sorry everybody. :smithcloud:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:synthy: Update Time! :synthy:

We're back again; and much earlier than anticipated to boot. On today's episode, we're going to explore a whole new village, fight a gross-looking boss, make a new friend (sort of), and get sidetracked from our adventure to take care of what's most important. And along the way we're going to listen to some really nice tunes, too.

Yonah's Diary Entries:

Quest Logs:

Weapon Stories:

Moonrise

quote:

Level 1:
There is a legend of a blade that cooled an entire country wrapped in hellish conflagration.
Out of the misery of the endless flames came the people's saviour: a sword, surrounded by thousands of statues made entirely out of ice.

Level 2:
A man searching for the world's legendary weapons came across the sword.
He bundled the sword tightly in a long roll of cloth and took it in hand.
But as he placed the sword in his pack and left, unbeknownst to him, the sword began to freeze his cloth, and soon froze him too.

Level 3:
A priestess travelling the world came across the sword.
She offered a prayer to the gods, and attempted to draw the sword.
But frost quickly spread from her fingertips to her arm, and all across her body.
As she cursed the gods she had invoked, the sword froze her too.

Level 4:
A slave woman, working in a cave, came across the sword.
Hoping to escape her painful life forever, she gripped the handle of the sword and drew it out.
But neither did she freeze, nor was she able to trust it into her breast.
The blade's edge gleamed in the moonlight as she was beaten that night by her quickly freezing master.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdO8kX6GNcw

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Haha, that sword is such an rear end in a top hat.

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1mFfFxiVw

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basically Nier 2 should have actually been a kart boar racing game.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Basically Nier 2 should have actually been a kart boar racing game.

Yeah when's the boar race sidequest you do for the gold dust to make the gilded sword?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm glad to see that you're all giving Boaris a warm welcome!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If 90's style advertising for games was still a thing, a Nier advert would include a legally distinct Chocobo getting run the gently caress over by a drifting boar. Or maybe even straight up a Chocobo, game adverts during that time were fierce.

I want this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's been said plenty of times, but the music in this game is really really loving good.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yay, you're back! That town seemed like a painfully pointless detour. You fought your way through to speak to the elder only to have someone go "nope", then meet the actual (strangely dressed) relevant character on the way out. They could just as easily have been like "there's rumors of a mysterious woman with strange powers beyond that village, maybe she knows something", had you fight your way through to it with the boss arena on the other side and achieved the same thing without the weird pointless beat of a bunch of villagers going "go away" through the doors.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I loving love Kainé, even if we only got a tiny goddamn taste of her personality and a lovely-loving pissbucket of a bossfight with her

rear end

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
The visuals and music just doing their thing and being top-notch again. The Aerie's beautiful and Kainé's theme is one of the very best.

e. Very happy to see the LP's still alive, thanks guys.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

So glad this LP is back, you guys are doing a great job so far at showing off one of the most unique games I've ever played. Can't wait for more Sad Dad.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kaine surely won't be a recurring character.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You've managed to sell the heck out of this game, it's pretty drat good. Always heard that it was a mediocre game with a great story, but honestly it looks like a fantastic game with just slightly poorer graphics than the average. Nier and Weiss would make for a drat good buddy cop series, their chattering as you go about the place is probably my favourite thing about the game.

It'd be called, By the Book. :rimshot:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My only question is, is the extremely obvious plot twist taken, or not?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My only question is, is the extremely obvious plot twist taken, or not?

Whoa now, we're not going down that route, for that route leads to spoiler city regardless of which exit you take! :frogsiren:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The only thing I've heard about this game before your LP was that it was "anime as hell," which is pretty much what I'm getting out of it so far. I wasn't expecting porkyo drift though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:synthy: Update Time! :synthy:

I've got a very special update for y'all: it's our first double feature! In our regular scheduled episode, we're going to head out to Seafront to see if we can find ourselves a Shaman Fish. On our way there we're going to learn a new trade, meet a very...personable old lady and play the role of mailman.

The second video is first sidequest round-up of the LP so far. Sidequests in NieR are pretty boring content-wise across the board, but they often tell neat little mini-stories or expand our understanding of the world in some way. There are some throwaway ones too (especially early on) but a lot of them are worth a cursory look, at least. Anything to get more discourse between NieR and Weiss, in my opinion!

Yonah's Diary Entries:

Research Reports(?):

Documents:

Quest Logs:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone who skips the sidequest video is a monster.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If it's processed wheat, you could use flour for dumplings in the stew, or I guess she could use whole wheat berries as if it was barley for a meat&barley stew?

The Be A Good Dad sidequests are the best sidequests :kimchi:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh, talk about an unfortunate birthday date. Though I suppose by that point that was chump change compared to more recent events.

• Locked thread