Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

JordanKai posted:

Non-PS4 havers can rest easy. :buddy:

I've been hoping so hard for this. :unsmith:

Now he just needs to release Steam versions of Nier and Drakengard 3. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

Guess what everybody!

Non-PS4 havers can rest easy. :buddy:

This man is a treasure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

dancingbears posted:

I've been hoping so hard for this. :unsmith:

Now he just needs to release Steam versions of Nier and Drakengard 3. :pray:

And Drakengard, and Drakengard 2. Fun for the whole drat family.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Maybe Drakengard 1, but 2? Theres Nowe.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

ultrafilter posted:

:airquote:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:synthy: Update Time! :synthy:

It took a lot longer than initially anticipated, but it's finally time to conclude the plot of Drakengard! In today's intermission, we'll be looking at endings B through E. Things were already getting pretty wild last time, but this is where things really start taking a turn for the :dogbutton:.

Enjoy!(?)

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 21, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You think that Drakengard 3's plot is downhill from Drakengard? The impression I got was that the former's plot was notably more coherent, though to get the full story it really helped to buy a bunch of DLC because by then Square Enix was firmly in control. :20bux::20bux: The other thing was that it was an incredibly self-aware game, to the point where The Dark Id never really bothered to insert any snark in his hybrid LP of the game. (TID has by now made a lot of screenshot or hybrid LPs of weird things like the Drakengard/Nier series, and he would regularly add acerbic in-character or out-of-character comments in italics to poke fun of goofy poo poo. Not so in Drakengard 3, though, to which the general thread response was :psyduck:)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Drakengard
what the Fuck

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love TDI's summation of the, well, experience of Drakengard 1.

quote:

In the center of the Sky Fortress is this little tower protected by about eight cannons. The game expects you to fly through one end, take out a few cannons, and quickly fly out the other end before being bombarded. Then repeating the process two or three times... Drakengard!*

* For the record: You're supposed to be reading this in the tone of a kooky sitcom catchphrase. Pretend someone looking at the camera with a goofy face and shrugging their shoulders while saying it. In other words, it is not to be mistaken with abject rage as "NOOOOOOOMMMMMMMUUUUURRRRAAAA!!!" was...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A+ use of Forces.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I thought there was more of an actual plot connection to Drakengard 1, rather than just a thematic one.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

[I'm actually going to just remove this entire post, because it was a little too allusive. Sorry! -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 21, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Leonard didn't build an orphanage, he decided to live as a hermit to stay away from children. When the Empire attacked and killed his parents, he took his three younger siblings in to protect them. After that, he frequently had some "alone time" away from the house to make sure he wouldn't try to do something terrible to his brothers.

After he's realized about his inclinations, he shows all the efforts to keep children safe from himself and others, and dealing responsibly with his disposition. For how batshit insane the overall plot in this game is, it's a strangely human depiction of a legit remorseful paedophile.

Not really what you'd expect from a fantasy dynasty-warriors-like, but that's Taro Yoko for you. NieR also goes in some pretty deep and unexpected directions the same way.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 21, 2016

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Drakengard has the same spoiler-proofing that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has because you could straight-up tell someone something and they won't believe you until they see it themselves, and I love that.

Also my PS4 will continue to sit quietly on my shelf as my Destiny-playing machine now that the new Nier is coming to Steam.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

You think that Drakengard 3's plot is downhill from Drakengard? The impression I got was that the former's plot was notably more coherent, though to get the full story it really helped to buy a bunch of DLC because by then Square Enix was firmly in control. :20bux::20bux: The other thing was that it was an incredibly self-aware game, to the point where The Dark Id never really bothered to insert any snark in his hybrid LP of the game. (TID has by now made a lot of screenshot or hybrid LPs of weird things like the Drakengard/Nier series, and he would regularly add acerbic in-character or out-of-character comments in italics to poke fun of goofy poo poo. Not so in Drakengard 3, though, to which the general thread response was :psyduck:)

This goes doubly so for thinking 2 is better than 3. I don't even know how you could come to that conclusion.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

WHOOPS SPOILERS

Hey, Ikwalyx reads this thread too, so let's not do this please! Jordan has revealed as much information as he feels appropriate for his co-commentator's experience. Also...

The Opening Post posted:

SPOILER RULES: Don't talk about spoilers, even in spoiler tags.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

Hey, Ikwalyx reads this thread too, so let's not do this please! Jordan has revealed as much information as he feels appropriate for his co-commentator's experience. Also...

poo poo, sorry about that! Edited out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The thing that always makes me laugh is that, on your side, you've got Verdelet, who hates everything and encourages Caim, who murders everything, Arioch, who literally eats babies and Leonard, who... well, he tends to his own. And the Watchers turn out to be giant babies. It's like, which came first, the monster babies or the perfect anti-baby task force?

Speaking of Arioch, the Evangelion connection was mentioned in the video there. Her voice actress, Megumi Hayashibara, was best-known at that point (and arguably still today) as Rei Ayanami, a character who was intended to be creepy as poo poo and wound up being fetishised horribly. Knowing how Taro Yoko feels about anime fans and trends in anime in general, it's a good bet her casting wasn't coincidental.

And Drakengard's final boss theme is great :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4u8QYJmO0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you're tracking the rhythm game, the four-note is one button, the two-note ascending is the other. It sounds when they're emitted so you're hitting them off-mark.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

This goes doubly so for thinking 2 is better than 3. I don't even know how you could come to that conclusion.

I'll go into it more when we get to the game itself, but I think Drakengard 3's story is a complete slog, whereas Drakengard 2 is at least a fun, goofy JRPG romp.

Bruceski posted:

If you're tracking the rhythm game, the four-note is one button, the two-note ascending is the other. It sounds when they're emitted so you're hitting them off-mark.

That's my favourite thing about the final boss: it's completely broken as a rhythm game. You get so much space to put in commands that the odds of the sounds coming out at the right time are really low, unless you know how to time it beforehand.

Sindai posted:

A+ use of Forces.

Thank you. :3:

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015

tlarn posted:

Drakengard has the same spoiler-proofing that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has because you could straight-up tell someone something and they won't believe you until they see it themselves, and I love that.

But then it loops around and anyone will believe literally anything you say happens.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So is that mask a reference to anything in particular or does Yoko Taro just think it looks cool?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
if I recall, Ending C was going to have it's own game at some point but it got canceled :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

So is that mask a reference to anything in particular or does Yoko Taro just think it looks cool?

Majora's Mask. Taro Yoko makes interesting games but when it comes to making stuff with his hands, he's not as perfect.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hmm...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ugh, you didnt tell me that this game has a lame nightmare before christmas crossover. i dont know if i can tolerate that. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ending E: We defeated the GIANT IN-SECT! EDF!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Weiss has seen better days.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also I'm trying to figure out the best way to ask why that one woman turns into an angel scorpion monster specificall but I know the answer doesn't matter in the slightest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Also I'm trying to figure out the best way to ask why that one woman turns into an angel scorpion monster specificall but I know the answer doesn't matter in the slightest.

Drakengard!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

C-Euro posted:

Taro Yoko inadvertently made a better Parasite Eve sequel than Square did.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
These intermissions are very good and I appreciate you making them and continuing on with the less relevant games

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Bruceski posted:

Drakengard!

I believe that's the correct answer for just about any question regarding that game.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
That and "Yoko Taro!"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

Honestly, what else did you expect to get when you inserted someone called The Goddess into something called a Seed of Destruction?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I just wanna say thank you for summarizing Drakengard in such an elegant manner. I want to say more but I feel like I can't wordify my thoughts on.....all that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Honestly, what else did you expect to get when you inserted someone called The Goddess into something called a Seed of Destruction?

Well I knew it would be bad news in general but considering all the dragons floating around I thought it would spit out something more...dragony? Or maybe she would come out as a giant stone baby since there was a grip of those floating around at one point. Basically it's a question of character design.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ending E definitely reminds me of Night of the Living Dead, where the last survivor of the movie leaves the place they were holed up, only to get shot by some other yokels who thought he was a zombie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Highwang posted:

I just wanna say thank you for summarizing Drakengard in such an elegant manner. I want to say more but I feel like I can't wordify my thoughts on.....all that.

I think it's impressive that Drakengard inflicted ACTUAL SUFFERING on Jordan in real life by exposing him to gross fetishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

if I recall, Ending C was going to have it's own game at some point but it got canceled :(

The game was called Cry On and was also being co-developed by Mistwalker, Hironobu Sakaguchi's company that he made after leaving Square. And though I remember hearing that it was supposed to be connected to Drakengard, I can't find an official source at all. Sakaguchi did put the trailer on his YouTube account in 2014.

Also I wonder if Ending B was ever intended to be the default/canon ending, though my only real basis for that is that the credits theme for B, Exhausted (Japanese) / Growing Wings (English) is the only song with vocals and basically turned into Drakengard's main theme, showing up in 2 and 3.

• Locked thread