Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Great adaptation so far, really looking forward to the next episode.

One thing I noticed in the translation though:
(not really a spoiler but eh)

Chinatsu actually says "woman" here ("girl" could work too I guess), not girlfriend. The basic meaning is the same, of course, but some of the joke/shock factor/characterization is lost. Not a huge deal, but figured some people might like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This week's episode is delayed due to the Kumamoto quake.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Waffleman_ posted:

This week's episode is delayed due to the Kumamoto quake.

Namazu! :argh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It wasn't delayed for too long!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/flying-witch/episode-2-a-visitor-for-the-witch-712217

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even less happened than last week and I loved it. this is the good poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Witch still flying. Witch still good.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's a show about nothing. And a drat good one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, the ED was actually the OP. The actual ending is super nice too.

e: haha Nao in the post credits :3:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Flying Witch has invented time warping, because I don't understand how that episode was 23 minutes long.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Mandrake-kun... nooo! :smith:

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
Episode 2: less flying, more frying.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow! For an episode that was just about frying some veggies, that was over surprisingly quickly! I wanted more!

I loved the everyday yet clearly paranormal appearance of the Harbinger of Spring. It's slightly uncanny stuff like that which reminds one that they're living in a world with magic right around the corner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Now I have a craving for fried bakke (butterburr). I wonder if it's anything like brussel sprouts and if those would be good as tempura.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Chinatsu continues to have great expressions

what a lovely episode! That second half was exactly what I needed today :kimchi: I need to make tempura soon

a kitten posted:

e: haha Nao in the post credits :3:

Yeah! :3:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This is as wonderfully, entertainingly boring as Non Non Biyori.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

chumbler posted:

Flying Witch has invented time warping, because I don't understand how that episode was 23 minutes long.

I was thinking that same thing. The time just passed in a flash with nothing seemingly happening, but at the same time no discontent felt over the lack of content. Not sure how they pulled it off.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gotta say their house looks mega comfy and classy with all that wood everywhere.

Also the OP is great.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
that was very relaxing. we need more iyashikei shows with characters of both genders, without making either one the butt of the joke

i now want to pick some herbs, but that could be difficult, im in a city. also, apparently you dont want to eat too much butterbur, it can cause liver problems

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm hooked. What a calm, cute, fun show. And of course, appropriately magical. :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dog peeing on the utility pole right before the credits got me cracking up. Sometimes it's the little things.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://my.mixtape.moe/xzukeg.webm

This is actually the appropriate response to this situation.

AnacondaHL posted:

Dog peeing on the utility pole right before the credits got me cracking up. Sometimes it's the little things.

That cracked me up, too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The most unrealistic thing about this is that she's like 8 or 9 or something and she doesn't know how to call 911. Every kid knows 911!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

calling 911 wouldn't help a japanese girl at all!!!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

The most unrealistic thing about this is that she's like 8 or 9 or something and she doesn't know how to call 911. Every kid knows 911!

They're in the boonies though. Did the NNBs ever really need to know how to call 110/119?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

In addition to what's been mentioned, unlike 911 (which is just pronounced "nine one one"), the word for "110" (as in the 911 phone line equivalent, not the number) is pronounced in sort of a special way that doesn't make as immediately clear. It's hyaku-too-ban, which is "one hundred"+"somewhat less common reading of the number ten"+"number"--but "tooban" sounds a lot like "on duty" (touban) (which is probably an intentional mnemonic thing), so you could in theory get people confused sometimes, like this person on yahoo answers.

Of course, in reality you're not really going to see that happen, but it's a joke on how absurdly peaceful the place is that a kid wasn't even taught how to dial 911.

This is also a good example of how a lot of things that seem weird in anime/manga are actually jokes that were lost in translation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm still laughing about Nao just chilling out excitedly waiting for something lucky to happen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

I'm still laughing about Nao just chilling out excitedly waiting for something lucky to happen.

Nao's good, and trusts her friend.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nao wasted her lucky day :rip:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

:smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

In addition to what's been mentioned, unlike 911 (which is just pronounced "nine one one"), the word for "110" (as in the 911 phone line equivalent, not the number) is pronounced in sort of a special way that doesn't make as immediately clear. It's hyaku-too-ban, which is "one hundred"+"somewhat less common reading of the number ten"+"number"--but "tooban" sounds a lot like "on duty" (touban) (which is probably an intentional mnemonic thing), so you could in theory get people confused sometimes, like this person on yahoo answers.

Of course, in reality you're not really going to see that happen, but it's a joke on how absurdly peaceful the place is that a kid wasn't even taught how to dial 911.

This is also a good example of how a lot of things that seem weird in anime/manga are actually jokes that were lost in translation.

Huh! Well that's a helpful explanation. Thanks!

dogsicle posted:

Nao wasted her lucky day :rip:

She already got it, it was happening to stumble on butterbur sprouts. :v:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Edit: I'm dumb and my post is dumb. I need a nap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Harbinger of Spring is my friend and nobody should be scared of him.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I just happened to be reading through Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series and this anime is the perfect accompaniment to it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The OP to this is great. My favorite part is the Harbinger of Spring joining in on the dancing.

Tangentially, this show reminds me of Golden Sky Stories, what with the magic and stuff in some small(-ish) Japanese country town and the laid back nature of things. It has me wanting to play that again.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This show is fighting with Non Non Biyori for the title of Monarch of the SoLs, and for my heart. It's so good.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I dunno, it's a three way tie between this, Non Non Biyori, and Encouragement of Climb for me. :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

The OP to this is great. My favorite part is the Harbinger of Spring joining in on the dancing.

Sha-la-la-laaaaa~

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Onean posted:

I dunno, it's a three way tie between this, Non Non Biyori, and Encouragement of Climb for me. :(

Also very good. And that's... that's quite the Lum you've got there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't know where she came from, but she's here for a little while, I suppose. I was thinking it was about time to switch, so I'm glad someone pushed me to actually make a decision, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That second episode felt weirdly sparse, but in the sense that if flew by in an instant rather than dragging on. I can't decide if that is a good thing or not. The only thing I am sure about is that Chinatsu is utterly adorable. :allears:

• Locked thread