Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Great adaptation so far, really looking forward to the next episode.

One thing I noticed in the translation though:
(not really a spoiler but eh)

Chinatsu actually says "woman" here ("girl" could work too I guess), not girlfriend. The basic meaning is the same, of course, but some of the joke/shock factor/characterization is lost. Not a huge deal, but figured some people might like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The most unrealistic thing about this is that she's like 8 or 9 or something and she doesn't know how to call 911. Every kid knows 911!

In addition to what's been mentioned, unlike 911 (which is just pronounced "nine one one"), the word for "110" (as in the 911 phone line equivalent, not the number) is pronounced in sort of a special way that doesn't make as immediately clear. It's hyaku-too-ban, which is "one hundred"+"somewhat less common reading of the number ten"+"number"--but "tooban" sounds a lot like "on duty" (touban) (which is probably an intentional mnemonic thing), so you could in theory get people confused sometimes, like this person on yahoo answers.

Of course, in reality you're not really going to see that happen, but it's a joke on how absurdly peaceful the place is that a kid wasn't even taught how to dial 911.

This is also a good example of how a lot of things that seem weird in anime/manga are actually jokes that were lost in translation.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This face killed me.

https://a.pomf.cat/pyhcqj.webm

If I had to pick at something, it would just be that the subs for the uncle were far too understandable :v:

Kibibit posted:

For some reason this frame from the opening kills me every time.

:lol:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I feel like this is probably a show that's just as good whether you've read the source material or not.

I'm also pretty impressed that it's apparently the author's first (professional?) work.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

• Locked thread