Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Flying Witch

This is a surreal daily life anime about the everyday life of one Makoto Kowata, a 15 year old teenage witch who's moved in with her second cousin's family in Northern Japan. Being a witch, she can fly on a broom and do magic spells, but mostly takes things easy, living life one day at a time! She's also something of a space cadet.

Here are some of her friends and relatives:

Chito, a cat. Unlike a certain other black cat familiar, not voiced by Phil Hartman.

Chinatsu Kuramoto, her adorable, perky, energetic little cousin.

Kei Kuramoto, Chinatsu's older brother. Pretty laid-back, just like basically everyone and everything else in this show.

Akane Kowata, Makoto's older sister. In the manga, makes her first appearance in a :krad: Vietnamese ao dai. Quite well-traveled!

And the normal friend girl. Oh her name is Nao Ishiwatari. Okay! Now I know!

This show is directed by Katsushi Sakurabi, known for works such as Gunparade March and Lunar Legend Tsukihime.

Stream episode 1 on Crunchyroll!!!

I love the low-key approach to magic in this show, and the way the fantastical interjects itself into the mundane world so seamlessly. It's just a heartwarming and relaxing thing to watch!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANGA

If you want to check out the manga, we've been reading it and enjoying it quite immensely (when translations have been arsed to come out) in the Surreal Daily Life Manga thread. You should! It's pretty magical. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
KITTEN'S GIF CORNER

a kitten posted:

This show is great!

VVVVVVVV

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

"I have to move out because I'm an adult, but I have to finish school because the witch job market is poo poo."

Magical Millennials.

Flying Witch Anime Thread: Magical Millennials

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

My only minor point of contention is the way they did the little shiny mark/shadow thingy on their noses. It kind of looks like it's floating over them, and it's sort of weird and distracting at times. You can sorta see it in this gif.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think they picked a good VA for him! He always sounds so chill. Also, yes, Chinatsu is a super adorable kid! I wish they could've gotten an actual 11 year old kid to play her, the way they got an actual 6 year old to play the kid in Bunny Drop, because her voice sounds just a tad odd. Oh well!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wow! For an episode that was just about frying some veggies, that was over surprisingly quickly! I wanted more!

I loved the everyday yet clearly paranormal appearance of the Harbinger of Spring. It's slightly uncanny stuff like that which reminds one that they're living in a world with magic right around the corner.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The most unrealistic thing about this is that she's like 8 or 9 or something and she doesn't know how to call 911. Every kid knows 911!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

In addition to what's been mentioned, unlike 911 (which is just pronounced "nine one one"), the word for "110" (as in the 911 phone line equivalent, not the number) is pronounced in sort of a special way that doesn't make as immediately clear. It's hyaku-too-ban, which is "one hundred"+"somewhat less common reading of the number ten"+"number"--but "tooban" sounds a lot like "on duty" (touban) (which is probably an intentional mnemonic thing), so you could in theory get people confused sometimes, like this person on yahoo answers.

Of course, in reality you're not really going to see that happen, but it's a joke on how absurdly peaceful the place is that a kid wasn't even taught how to dial 911.

This is also a good example of how a lot of things that seem weird in anime/manga are actually jokes that were lost in translation.

Huh! Well that's a helpful explanation. Thanks!

dogsicle posted:

Nao wasted her lucky day :rip:

She already got it, it was happening to stumble on butterbur sprouts. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That thing with Chinatsu's cheeks -- I totally did that with my younger sibling when he was about that age. Kids with cute cheeks, makes you wanna mush 'em!! :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, this is the season for calm dudes. There's Alpha Omega Nova from Luluco, Tanaka who's always listless and sleepy, and this guy here with his astonishingly soothing voice. Bring on the calm dudes!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You guys should've been reading the manga to begin with!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Naw, nothin' bad here. Just a quirk of the anime, not sure why they did it - but it works.

If you don't want to see stuff in the manga before the anime, don't read the manga before the anime's done. But really, this isn't a plot-heavy manga, so it's not like you'll spoil yourself on the ... cute witchy slice-of-life stuff.

Yeah, that's the funny thing about slice of life stuff. I can watch things like this and Dagashi Kashi and Kumamiko, but I can't watch anime adaptations of manga like Hunter X Hunter and so on because I already know what happens and they're so plot-heavy. While with these I actually look forward to seeing the anime because I'm like "Oh boy, I can't wait to see how they animated [x] scene! :neckbeard:"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The :what: dog is the best expression in this episode. Also: Big sis turns up in a lovely ao dai, the national costume of Vietnam! Nice to see it get a bit of representation!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Twiddy posted:

Can you believe that the surreal daily life thread has been hogging this poo poo to themselves for years? What assholes.

:ssh: Don't tell everyone! We need to keep our supply of SDL manga safely hoarded!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Sandman posted:

Nobody knows why.

:ssh: Lum's the word!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

mpyro posted:

This anime is really cute. Any others like it?

You should try Kumamiko: Girl Meets Bear. It's very much the same sort of thing, with surrealness and folks chilling in the country.

Also, this:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm sure we're going to get a lot of great recommendations here in a sec, but if you like this there is a lot of fun to be had in the Surreal Daily Life Manga Thread.

If you don't like reading though, just hold tight and I'm sure there'll be some good recommendations soon. I have to go to dishes and sleep.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Just lie down already, god!

A fitting username/post combo. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gosh that was a hilarious episode. Nana's such a great mom, she's just cool with everything and rolls with it all like it ain't no thang.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Like, have you ever laughed really hard non-stop for a few minutes? poo poo starts to hurt man.

It's not like Makoto's crying is any better. Have you ever had a fit of crying that lasted for a few minutes? Your throat gets freaking ragged!

That cursed candy is nothing to sniff at!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dan7el posted:

The older sister doesn't even help out around the house. She just eats, sleeps, and casts spells that seem to always cause problems to others -- the massive amount of crows for her sister for that first spell, turning her friend into a were-fox or whatever, and today's stuff.

When she's not traveling the world on a journey of self-discovery. In other words, she's a privileged, upper-middle-class magical twentysomething. It's too bad she dropped out of high school, she could've stuck to it a few more years and got a degree in Sociology or English Lit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

And she's also bad at making potions! What witchy thing is she good at then?!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Help I'm in love with this anime and I want to marry it.
__________________/

This is the face you make when a new episode comes out, isn't it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I want the older brother dude's VA to record himself reading bedtime stories or something. That would be so very relaxing~

EDIT: It'd be funny if they met a bear and it turned out to be Natsu from Kumamiko.

Hahaha, Makoto's such a space cadet!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

esselfortium posted:

This show is so endlessly adorable. It finds new ways to be delightfully cute every week.

It does! Akane really takes things a bit far though. I felt a bit bad for boat-tour guy there. You reject my prices, you deface my boat, you toy with my lake, you toy with my liver...

That was no lake, that was the Ha Long Bay! She messed with a UNESCO world heritage site! Hahaha!

I love how Chinatsu went from being terrified by the Harbinger of Spring to going over to the Veil of the Night and chatting it up! She's just so into being a witch and experiencing all the wonders of the spirit world! :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Makoto's just a wee little bit on the :downs: side, isn't she? It's adorable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wallrod posted:

It's great. Also,

I WANT TO TASTE THE SPACE CANDY.

Dude, that's where the Men In Black universe is. Don't do that. :gonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, I wish I had Home Ec back in high school. That would've been so much fun! It's a shame they don't teach these kinds of practical life skills in high school anymore, I for certain would've benefited from learning to cook and use power tools.

I say this every episode, but Chinatsu is so wonderful! I'm also separated from my younger sibling by several years, though not quite as many as between Kei and Chinatsu, and she reminds me of him when he was that age. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Chinatsu popping her head out of Akane's robe like some kind of cat just about made my day. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

H-hey wait. Chinatsu's robe in the last episode looks familiar.

What does it remind me of...?

Ah! Looks like she's ready to be a witch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Peers into your soul
How do you make this without giving her a Chito???

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-DOL-9010

HNNNG. I already spend enough on stupid plastic crap from Japan, why tempt me so?! She's even got actual cloth clothes!! And look at the fine details on her hair!!

• Locked thread