Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

San Andreas does make you work for it though. About 180 objectives, some of which are pretty hard. I remember that destruction derby being a massive pain in the arse. Also, one of the collectibles in Las Venturas glitched for me. I can't remember how I got around that. It may have involved restarting the game, use of a cheat device, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
The rewards are nice, but it's a similar problem to games with ultimate weapons at the end of a super dungeon. You've already surmounted every challenge the game could possibly give you and you're probably sick of the game afterwards anyway.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Even if you don't do 100% you can still get some really good and useful stuff from the side missions, such as health and armor boosts, free weapons and infinite sprint. While San Andreas does require you to do a lot of things for 100%, I'd actually say it's still one of the easier GTA games to do that in because it doesn't have rampages (always the bane of my existence in 3 and VC) and unique stunt jumps aren't required. Here's the full list:

GTA Wiki posted:

Complete all storyline missions (In The Beginning to End of the Line), as well as the optional Heist strand (Architectural Espionage to Breaking the Bank at Caligula's).
Collect all pickup items.
100 Tags
50 Snapshots
50 Horseshoes
50 Oysters
Complete all vehicle challenges.
BMX Challenge
Chiliad Challenge
NRG-500 Challenge
Finish all stadium events.
8-Track
Blood Bowl
Dirt Track
Kickstart
Learn all new moves from the three gyms.
Complete the Ammu-Nation shooting range (level 12)
Complete all odd job missions.
Firefighter (level 12)
Paramedic (level 12)
Vigilante (level 12)
Taxi Driver (50 fares)
Pimping (level 10)
Freight Train (level 2)
Get all 30 vehicles to the Import/Export crane.
Win all race tournaments
Los Santos
San Fierro
Las Venturas road
Las Venturas flying
Finish the four optional schools with at least bronze on each test.
Driving School
Boat School
Bike School
Pilot School
Complete all asset missions.
Los Santos courier mission (Roboi's Food Mart)
San Fierro courier mission (Hippy Shopper)
Las Venturas courier mission (Burger Shot)
Trucking missions
Valet Parking
Zero's RC Shop (involves completing several storyline-style missions)
Wang Cars (involves completing several storyline-style missions)
Hunter Quarry's Quarry Missions.
Purchase all 29 safehouses.

It'll definitely take a while because of the sheer amount of stuff to do and a few of those things are a pain in the rear end, but not too bad overall.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 30, 2016

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whenever I'm kind of done with a GTA game, I jump in now and then to hunker down in a shop or restaurant and try to survive while killing cops and causing increasingly more mayhem. Basically lone wolf shooter sim.

With GTA IV on, using that settings tweak that causes cars to fly around and trying to survive is also a fun distraction.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
All taxis getting (infinite?) nitros in San Andreas for doing the 50 fares was a nice bonus along the way on the 100% grind.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

[e] Oh yeah, here's the music we heard during "Roman's Sorrow":

Philip Glass - Pruit Igoe (1998 version)
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene Part 4
The confrontation with Faustin has a really appropos one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQuuvMHbOM

By videogame standards, all the Russian stuff in this game is rather top-notch.

Doc Morbid posted:

Here's the full list:
Pfft. We have very different standards of acceptable when it comes to that sort of poo poo. Yeah, I'm definitely going to voluntarily do all the pilot school missions, never mind the toy plane ones. Totally preferable to slamming a hammer against my crotch.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 1, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Pfft. We have very different standards of acceptable when it comes to that sort of poo poo. Yeah, I'm definitely going to voluntarily do all the pilot school missions, never mind the toy plane ones. Totally preferable to slamming a hammer against my crotch.
Fair enough. I have been working on the Final Fantasy X postgame recently, and compared to that poo poo (it's ridiculous even WITH the cheat options that were added to the PC version and cut out approximately 200 hours of grinding for money and items to make decent postgame armor -- I have not and will never do it totally legit, this is as far as I'll go) the 100% requirements in San Andreas are downright pleasant. :v:

Pilot school wasn't nearly as hard as I remembered, it took me about 20 minutes to get gold medals from all the lessons (which you don't even need for 100%, bronze is enough and that wasn't hard in the slightest). The biggest difficulty I had was in the very first lesson, because the frame limiter was making it impossible to finish within the gold time of 30 seconds.

Episode 10 is coming sometime this week, the video has been edited and parts of the commentary recorded. Right now it's entirely too hot to do anything, so at the moment I'm just wishing for the sweet release of death enjoying the summer weather. It's supposed to be cold and rainy in the summer, dammit :finland:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 1, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Cleaning the Hood (Polsy)

Manny Escuela is here to help the streets of South Bohan by... uh, dancing like an idiot and "rapping" extremely badly? Well, and paying us to kill some drug dealers. What an inspiration to us all!

I apologize in advance for saying "kind of" far too many times in this video. I didn't notice how bad it was until I watched the episode on Youtube.

---

ROCKING MUSIC IN EP 10:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell :regd10:

---

Oh yeah, I also did a thing in San Andreas. A few things, actually:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2016

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Manny is the dweeb Niko deserves to have as an employer for how whiny he's been lately. At least Brucie is looking out for his homies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doc Morbid posted:

Manny Escuela is here to help the streets of South Bohan by... uh, dancing like an idiot and "rapping" extremely badly? Well, and paying us to kill some drug dealers. What an inspiration to us all!

And yet, the fact that Niko clearly doesn't like him makes me think he's probably OK.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

To be fair, just about every other character who interacts with Manny seems to dislike him as well (as we'll be seeing in the next episode), so it's not just Niko.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Congrats Manny, you've put Brucie into perspective and in doing so made me appreciate him more!

That MP5 looked way better than the micro-uzi, can you just buy it from Little Jacob now?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh yeah, I was supposed to mention the MP10 (I thought it was an MP5 too, but apparently it's not) but somehow that didn't end up in the finished commentary. I think you can buy it after this mission, although I stuck with the micro-Uzi until I got another MP10 a few missions from now. After that mission, you're definitely able to buy it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sorry about the bit of delay, I have no excuses this time and I've just been a lazy bum lately. Episodes 11 and 12 have been edited and only need commentary at this point, but :effort:. I will try to get both episodes out soon enough.

Episode 11 is also going to be a bit... awkward due to the fact one of the missions involves Niko going on a date with a gay man in order to murder him (which I honestly forgot was a mission in this game until now). Doing commentary for this mission would have been fairly awkward anyway, as the target is exactly the kind of unfortunate stereotype you'd expect from a Rockstar game, but in light of recent events it feels particularly weird and I just might present the entire mission without any commentary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh yeah, I was supposed to mention the MP10 (I thought it was an MP5 too, but apparently it's not) but somehow that didn't end up in the finished commentary. I think you can buy it after this mission, although I stuck with the micro-Uzi until I got another MP10 a few missions from now. After that mission, you're definitely able to buy it.
Oh yeah, forgot to note this about the Faustin mission (and Uncle Vlad, I think?) - the game allowing to just gun down thugs looking to for a punch-up is one of the few bits of intentional comedy that really works.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

On my first attempt at the Uncle Vlad mission, the two gorillas actually managed to stunlock me and I couldn't do a thing while they beat me down. I tried to melee attack them and Niko just kept whiffing. :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Apologies about the delay once again, I had the 11th episode uploaded a few days ago but decided to wait to post it until I got the following episode done for a :siren: DOUBLE UPDATE :siren:

Episode 11: Luck of the Irish (Polsy)

Yeah, that whole mission with "French Tom" is a bit awkward and probably would cause some controversy if the game was released now. Fortunately, that is not all we're doing in this episode, as we also help out Manny with his brand of street justice once more and meet a couple of new characters, helping one of them out by killing a bunch of guys with a sniper rifle. You also get to see me being really terrible at sniping, as I opted to keep playing with the controller instead of switching to M+KB. :eng99:

Episode 12: No. 1 (Polsy)
NOTE: VIDEO MAY BE BLOCKED ON SOME DEVICES BECAUSE PHIL COLLINS

In this one, we join our new buddies "Playboy X" and the Lost MC's Johnny on a drug deal that goes ever so slightly wrong. But before that, we participate in the obligatory street race, everyone's favorite type of mission in these games. Personally, I quite enjoy these and spend nearly all my time on GTA Online racing against people, but a lot of folks seem to be much less enthusiastic about this stuff.

GTA Wiki with a protip for the race mission posted:

Although the player might be tempted, try not to lay on the gas. There are a lot of tricky turns so use the brakes and do not shoot the other racers. Take turns slowly and the race can be won easily.
Do people actually not use the brakes when they drive in GTA? (Well, the pubbies on GTA Online usually don't, judging from their driving) That'd certainly explain a lot of the complaints I've seen about these missions...

---

MUSIC HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS UPDATE:

Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses (That's the Buffalo Bill song from Silence of the Lambs)
Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen
Genesis - Mama (The reason why the video may be unavailable on some devices. I was hoping Brucie yelling over this would've distracted the Youtube copyright robots, but no such luck)
David Bowie - Fascination (You only hear this for a couple of seconds in the background, but I still include it here because it's loving David Bowie)
Queen - One Vision (Same thing here, just with Queen instead of Bowie)
Brand Nubian - All for One
Jeru the Damaja - D. Original
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, that whole mission with "French Tom" is a bit awkward and probably would cause some controversy if the game was released now.
I dunno, I didn't see anything particularly objectionable about it. :shrug:

In fact, episode 11 actually made the game seem relatively good. Aside from the phone calls, those seemed terrible. But even the on-foot escape from the cops made that game mechanic actually look realistic and fun, as opposed to the usual "drive like a maniac until the cops stop chasing you for no reason". And the performers at the club were both funny too.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Tiggum posted:

Aside from the phone calls, those seemed terrible.

That's the authentic GTA IV experience though. Its not really been apparent with all the editing but when you're actually playing the game has a huge problem where any time you're in proximity of a mission marker or anything remotely fun it goes "COUSIN LET'S GO BOWLING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CITY!" and if you refuse you're punished with loss of relationship (and thus lose access to the bonuses provided by being friends with someone).

The whole social mechanic is really the downfall of this game. Not only is it really annoying in and off itself but you also have to realize what the game could have had instead. I mean people always tried to pass off the lack of features compared to San Andreas with the move to a completely new engine and that most certainly played a part, but then you look at all the minigames and realize the devs had plenty of time to implement side content, they simply chose to spend it on modeling bowling alleys and programming darts rather than attack helicopters and jetpacks.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the trick to phone calls is that you accept them, and then immediately cancel - you won't lose any rep that way. because for some reason refusing someone's invitiation when you're busy makes them hate you, but cancelling on them when you made plans is completely alright.

probably should've been the other way around!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Smashing Pumpkins' 1979 is in the first video too

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I love how everyone hates Manny and just shits on him behind his back.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: The Snow Storm (Polsy)

In which we follow a train around Broker, visit one of Liberty City's NRHP sites on Colony Island, and I flail around like a complete moron while trying to find a way out of a building. :eng99: I had a lot of people shooting at me from all directions, okay?

The old hospital in this video, as you may be able to tell from the image, is of course based on the old Smallpox Hospital on Roosevelt Island. Since I'm a drat dirty FOREIGNER who has never been to NYC or America in general I had no idea the ruined hospital in the game actually had a real-world equivalent until after I finished recording commentary (which is why I don't mention it in the video). I probably should have guessed that because many of the places we visit in GTA IV and V are based on real locations, and now that I think of it I'm pretty sure I've also seen the hospital in a number of movies and comics such as Spider-Man.

---

MUSIC HIGHLIGHT:

Hello - New York Groove (So does New York exist in the GTA universe? I know some tracks on the contemporary rap station were edited to replace all mentions of New York with Liberty City, but I suppose getting some UK glam rock band from the 70s to re-record their old hit song with altered lyrics would've been a bit more of a hassle)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 28, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Get hosed, coke dealers :cheers:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

In which we follow a train around Broker

That was the slowest train I've ever seen. But why was it necessary to follow it instead of just waiting at the place you knew the targets were going to?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Because then we would've been deprived of a movie reference, and Rockstar wasn't going to let that happen.

I've never seen The French Connection which this whole mission is supposed to be paying homage to/ripping off, so I don't know if Gene Hackman's character knows where the target is going to get off the train as he follows it through NYC (according to the plot summary on Wikipedia, he doesn't).

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Hey Doc, I'm curious - did you ever get the graphics screen to use/state your actual amount of memory? Like, more than the 2 GB that is supposed to be the minimum requirement? Even with my rig built, in 2014 (with a GTX 760, 16 GB of RAM, and an i7) this game still chugs during heavy traffic, high-speed driving, and other stuff that the horsepower of the computer should be able to whip.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It doesn't show my 3 gigs of VRAM on the screen, but I did do the command line tweaks to get rid of the restrictions so it should still use all that VRAM. When I was running the latest version (1.0.7.0) through Steam, that did show the correct amount of VRAM with the right launch option parameters. Unfortunately, that version would have completely random frame drops and crashed whenever I adjusted my graphics settings, so I downgraded to version 1.0.4.0 which is what I've been using for the LP.

When I'm not recording, I get a pretty stable 60 fps but yeah, GTA IV PC is a notoriously bad port and prone to chugging even on machines that should easily be able to handle it.

Anyway, the next video is coming along nicely and I expect I'll be able to post it tomorrow or the day after.

edit: gently caress's sake, the audio in the newest video is desynced. Not by a huge amount, but enough to mess up lip sync and that kind of thing. I could've sworn I fixed that, but apparently not. Let's render and upload again, and this time check the audio before uploading. (The one I've posted is obviously the fixed version)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 13, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 14: Proper Grenade Use (Polsy)

Grenades. Never again. Seriously, this is stupid. Not just due to my own incompetence, but from a game design standpoint as well. You can tap the fire button to throw a grenade (or hold the button to cook the grenade and then release) without aiming, just like in San Andreas, but that only works when you're in cover. When you're not in cover, pressing the button without holding LT to aim makes Niko drop the grenade at his own feet. Why is that even a thing and why in the bloody hell is "BLOW YOURSELF UP" the default mode for the grenades?

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 13, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Well poo poo, that's one way to not be annoyed by Manny anymore.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
If you are still highlighting songs, the Goth classic Dominion by Sisters of Mercy is quite noticeable in this update.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I highlighted Dominion/Mother Russia in the update that had the explosives truck, so I didn't include it this time. That's twice it's been played during a "drive carefully from point A to point B" mission! :v:

Kino's Gruppa Krovi made another appearance in this one as well.

edit: In other music-related news, the FBI Special Agent track from Deadly Premonition will make another appearance in the next video as I'm yet to find a more suitable song for sped-up segments. I wanted to use the gallery music from Pokemon Snap because the segment involves taking photos, but once again I'm assuming that Access Games might be slightly less protective than Nintendo when it comes to using their music.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 14, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I had somehow been informed at somepoint that Manny wasn't going to make it, but I didn't expect him to go out like that. His 'story' didn't so much end as much, just stopped, though I guess with how GTA4 is, that might be the point. Wasn't implied earlier they were actually friends though?

I liked the small detail of some random NPC having the ringtone on her phone being the same one as the beeper in GTA3, based off the 'Joyride' song. Happened just before you called Jacob.

And that's the first time you've been through 'Times Square' right? I've not been to NY myself yet, but at the very least the GTA4 version certainly makes you go 'wow'. Has a feel of being in a completely different game for a moment. Such a contrast to the rest of the city.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I was supposed to bring up how cool it was that the route to the first Algonquin mission takes you through Times Square (or The Triangle, as it is called in-game) which really does feel completely different to everything you've seen in the game up until that point, but that bit somehow didn't make it into the final commentary. I may have driven through it off-camera but this is the first time the game takes you there.

As for Manny, he and Elizabeta obviously knew and at least tolerated each other, but Elizabeta wasn't in any state of mind to deal with him and his documentary bullshit at this point. She already knew the cops would bust through her door any day now, and the last thing she needed was to appear on Manny's documentary that, I assume, would've shown her exact location to the LCPD. They probably could've worked out a deal if Elizabeta wasn't all paranoid and coked up, but this was really not the time.

edit: I started playing RDR once again and kinda feel like I want to do an LP of that game once I'm done with GTA IV sometime around the year 2084. I'm not entirely sure what I could bring to the table since Belgaer's LP is already pretty drat comprehensive, but I just love the gently caress out of that game. Maybe I'll go back to my Knights of the Old Republic SSLP first. Maybe I should finish this one before I think about what comes after it...

Speaking of Red Dead, is the Hardcore Mode in the GOTY edition any fun? I've heard some people say good things about it, but I'm looking at the list of changes and it just looks like one of those hard mode romhacks that add "challenge" by making all enemies kill you in a couple of hits and being super stingy with money and items, basically just making the game more tedious.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 16, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm at the point in the game where the lack of mid-mission checkpoints is really starting to bite me in the rear end. Truck you're driving blows up ten meters from the end of the mission because a bunch of assholes keep shooting at it, every AI driver on the road attempts to ram you off, and the guy riding shotgun is doing gently caress all despite saying he'll take care of any followers? gently caress you, start over!

Load my save because it's faster than going to buy a new set of armor, drive back to mission giver, drive back to the mission location, do the slow first part again, throw a grenade at a cluster of enemies who don't see me. TRUCK HAS BEEN DESTROYED even though it was nowhere near the grenade's blast radius. MISSION FAILED

At least I managed to finish the mission on the third attempt and only wasted about 30 minutes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15: Hostile Negotiation (Polsy)

Roman gets in trouble again and (surprise) we have to save him. I also start doing some more editing on these combat missions because they're beginning to drag on quite a bit and I'm trying to keep these videos under 40 minutes. I assure you you're not missing anything relevant. I'm really glad Rockstar improved on the combat mechanics in RDR and GTA V and made things move at something resembling a decent pace, because this is just not good. The combat in GTA IV was widely considered an improvement over San Andreas, but I don't know about that. The only real problem there was the dodgy lockon, and if you were on PC you didn't need to care about that at all.

Music:

Juliette and The Licks - Inside the Cage (David Gilmour Girls Remix)

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Not sure if you're aware, but you don't have to take pictures of the people individually. I've always done this mission by taking a picture of the whole group talking amongst themselves and Playboy X confirms which one of the three it is in his return call.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, when I was watching back the final video I thought "wait, can't you just take a picture of the whole group and let Playboy sort them out?" A bit late at that point, though. :downs:

I might have taken a group photo on my first attempt, but when Playboy told me he couldn't see poo poo and I need to get clear face shots (which he would say no matter what I did on that attempt) I ended up taking individual pictures.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
So am I the only one who finds it odd that the Russian mobster insulted Roman by calling him a Slav?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Now that you mention it, yeah, that's very odd indeed. I didn't even really notice that bit when I was playing/editing.

• Locked thread