Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Huh, I don't recall ever having that problem in that game. Or in this game for that matter, even though I've seen a lot of people make similar complaints about GTA IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Do you get any comments if you try to show up at the funeral in a tracksuit or something?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'd imagine you can't. Lots of missions in this game insist on you wearing a suit before you can progress and I'm guessing this is most definitely one of them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I think the objective marker at the church only appears when you're wearing a suit or just tells you "go put on a suit, you moron" when you go to it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 12, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I like the McRearys.

Hardly a compliment, but GTA4 is making me feel like most the regular missions are just Niko doing his 9 to 5, whilst McReary missions are doing favors for a mate.
The exceptions being the 'main plot' missions... but they are so few and far between.

I guess it sums up GTA4 well, with it's more 'realistic' take on things.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I do too, I think it's because they're probably some of few characters that aren't just shrieking hypocrites. Rockstar likes to write characters that say one thing whilst blatantly do the opposite and gta IV is full of characters like that. The McRearys are a clan of burnt out crooks but at least they don't pretend to be anything else.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Zeniel posted:

I'd imagine you can't. Lots of missions in this game insist on you wearing a suit before you can progress and I'm guessing this is most definitely one of them.

I actually really enjoyed GTA IV but this was without a doubt one of those small irksome things that drove me up the wall (see below for another!). Compare to previous titles in the series where if you required an outfit for a mission, you'd be automatically changed into it upon starting said mission. It's a complete quality of life downgrade.

Then on the flipside, we go back to the old system in GTA V but the protags are also constantly changing their clothes if you're not controlling them, so picking something you like becomes pointless unless you don't plan on switching.

Why can't they find a balance? :negative:

Paused posted:

I like the McRearys.

Hardly a compliment, but GTA4 is making me feel like most the regular missions are just Niko doing his 9 to 5, whilst McReary missions are doing favors for a mate.
The exceptions being the 'main plot' missions... but they are so few and far between.

I guess it sums up GTA4 well, with it's more 'realistic' take on things.

I also like the McRearys, but listening to them talk is a little jarring. For whatever reason Rockstar ran with the fact that they're Irish and it shows in the dialogue. Only the problem is, none of them speak with a brogue. It's really awkward and off-putting listening to clearly notIrish voice actors "try" and sound Irish with certain sentence structure and a bit of common vocabulary here and there. I say "try" because you can tell most of it is read without conviction. A prime example being Derrick's line: "I'm honest about me demons."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's plenty of people that grew up in immigrant communities in the US that don't have their tradition accent but still speak in the dialect and slang

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah they're Irish-American, not Irish. Mind you the cousins Belic are meant to be worse. I believe they offered Nikkos voice role to the guy who he's meant to be modeled after some Easter European actor I forget, but he turned the role down so :shrug:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zeniel posted:

Yeah they're Irish-American, not Irish. Mind you the cousins Belic are meant to be worse. I believe they offered Nikkos voice role to the guy who he's meant to be modeled after some Easter European actor I forget, but he turned the role down so :shrug:

Niko's modeled after Sasha from Behind Enemy Lines, for context. And yeah, his actor was offered the part but turned it down.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

Huh, I don't recall ever having that problem in that game. Or in this game for that matter, even though I've seen a lot of people make similar complaints about GTA IV.
When I posted in the steam thread, people said you need to know how rear-view drives (?) work in order to drive cars in D:SF.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Xander77 posted:

When I posted in the steam thread, people said you need to know how rear-view drives (?) work in order to drive cars in D:SF.

Rear-wheel drive cars do function differently than the more common front-wheel drive; namely, because the power is coming from the back wheels while all the weight is still in the front, they're easier to lose control of & spin.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 31: Pegorino's Pride

Incidentally, "Why does everything that's meant to be fun have to be so miserable?" is what I was wondering for most of GTA V. Not GTA IV, though, because it's established right out of the gate that this was never meant to be fun.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You know these missions where you oversee a meeting would be at least somewhat interesting if the same thing didn't happen every time. There's zero tension in it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm actually liking Niko's relationship with Bernie. Despite being a complete stereotype he really does honestly seem to care for Niko, and Niko for him. It's nice to have a character who isn't focusing solely on loving Niko over.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

No, it's still not an update post, sorry about that. I swear I'll get to it one of these days.

Even though I finished recording the game and editing the video footage a while ago now, recording commentary has been taking much longer than it should and I really do apologize for that. Truth is, at this point GTA IV has dropped all pretense (what little there was) of being an enjoyable video gaming experience and embraced its true identity as an overlong, miserable slog. Playing through it was one thing, but getting motivated to do the commentary (which, frankly, is my least favorite part of the workflow at the best of times) is really tough when the game doesn't give you much to work with. It's not even bad enough to be entertaining, it's just treading water with endless filler missions until we finally get back to the plot somewhere around episode 38.

Well, I suppose the next episode does contain one of the absolute worst missions in the series, so that's something to look forward to at least. Don't worry, even if the gaps between updates start to approach your evil twin levels (YET, if you're reading this, I'm still hoping the Mortal Kombat thread gets updated at some point) I will finish this LP if it's the last thing I do.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 9, 2016

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
No worries, life happens.
However, if you're having trouble mustering the energy or harvesting enough material for actual commentary would you consider a co-commentator to help liven the party?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I did consider the possibility of looking for co-commentators earlier because I thought this kind of situation might eventually happen, but kinda abandoned the idea because it turned out I prefer to record my commentary in bits and pieces (with many of these bits requiring several takes due to audio glitches or me stumbling over simple words). That would make co-commentary a bit of a nightmare to coordinate, so I haven't seriously considered it for a while now.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
And right out of nowhere, Rockstar dropped a new patch for GTA4 last week. The first new update in YEARS and finally fixes that 2 GB VRAM bug. I haven't had the chance to give it a test-drive yet, but ICYMI etc etc.

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 10, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh, so that's what that update was. I just assumed Steam had finally noticed I was running a downgraded version of GTA IV (because the most recent one didn't work very well) and wanted to redownload some files. Obviously, if I were still playing the game for the LP I'd have declined the update, but since it no longer matters if my save files break (which they do if GFWL is active) I figured I'd just let it install.

Of course, next they could strip GFWL from the game (and Episodes from Liberty City) entirely, but I suppose that's too much to ask for.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 32: Do It Again, Stupid

This mission only took me three or four attempts, but it could've easily been many more. Now, you can skip most of the pain by ignoring the GPS and the whole test drive bit and just driving straight to the hideout, but where's the fun in that? :shepicide:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Enjoyed the names in the background in the prison. Yeah, seemed completely unnecessary to tell her about the kidnapping - what's wrong with "want to see my apartment", given how it was going?

Nice to see the serious firepower at that meetup, instead of yet another long cover/SMG slog.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That last mission looks like an absolute chore to play. Do you need to finish all the quest chains or can you finish with some left? Is that last one required?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GTA IV doesn't have any optional story missions, all of this is required to get to the ending. Some quest chains have branching paths depending on your choices, but that's about it.

I think this mission maybe could've been salvageable if you could do something - anything - to regain some control when Gracie grabs the wheel. As it is, all you can do is hope you don't hit something at the wrong angle (or if you do, hope you can get the car back on its wheels like I somehow did on this attempt) and fail the mission. You could drive slower, but if you go too slow Gracie will get out and you fail the mission. When the car does end up rolling over, you can't immediately retry the mission because you have to wait until Gracie gets out and MISSION FAILED pops up, and on one of my failed attempts she didn't even bother doing that so I had to reload the last save.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 33: Flatline

I'm just an intern, I still make a mistake or two.

Fun fact: You don't have to turn off Anthony's life support, you can just shoot him instead although that obviously is the less professional method and results in more violence. Knifing doesn't work because you keep missing and the cops outside the room somehow hear it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Smooth jazz; for a classier car chase.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I love the jazz stations in this game. Fusion FM, which I was listening to during the chase, is the station with more... well, fusion and jazz-funk type stuff from the 60s and 70s onward. Jazz Nation Radio plays the older stuff like Duke Ellington and Miles Davis. I'm not a huge jazz guy but these stations are both absolutely fantastic. I listened pretty much exclusively to them and International Funk for the last third of the game.

One of my favorite songs on Fusion is Holy Thursday by David Axelrod. I'm clearly not the only one who liked this track, because the GTA 3 main theme was obviously inspired by Axelrod.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 34: Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend

We make a deal for the diamonds, wrapping up GTA IV's big subplot. Surely, our efforts will be handsomely rewarded!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 8, 2017

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Wow, that was about the wettest fart of a subplot close I've ever seen. At least Packie and Niko got some more screen time and another car chat. I'm starting to really like Packie.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Wow, that was about the wettest fart of a subplot close I've ever seen. At least Packie and Niko got some more screen time and another car chat. I'm starting to really like Packie.

The diamonds are unfortunately what ties all the characters' stories together, so you haven't seen the last of that subplot, DLC permitting. You're not even gonna loving believe what happens to them by the end.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which continues the theme of GTA IV, "Priorities 1-5 of this game are making sure the super tiny details of the physics and NYC replica are PERFECT! Thhhhhen if you have time throw together a story and a couple of mission types if you want."

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Alternatively, the level and environment designers are drat good at their jobs and the writers and game play people not so much.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think it was an issue of competence so much as the focus on "realism" they were adamant on for IV. The story was satisfactory at best, driving was a lot less fun, although I appreciated the attempt at more realistic handling. When you get down to it though, it's just not as fun when you spin out 9 times out of 10 trying to do a handbrake turn. Weapon selection wasn't as varied, they completely axed the military from the game, it was just... bland. Like the environments of most games of its time. Dan Houser's a pretty decent writer but GTA just doesn't belong in a realm of gritty realism. GTA is about mayhem, crime and staying out of prison despite the odds and sheer lunacy of it all.

Look at GTA V or hell, even The Ballad of Gay Tony. They went back to their roots after how lukewarm the story's reception was and surprise surprise--they turned out great. GTA is meant to be crazy balls-to-the-wall action through and through and I hope they never forget that again.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I agree with that. I keep returning to GTA IV through this lp and others, thinking that there must be more to this game then what I'm seeing. But there really isn't. It's sad in a way.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lukewarm is a good way to describe it, because it averages out the two reactions I saw back then: "Total poo poo" and of course the infamous "Oscar-worthy"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

Episode 34: Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
Is this the first time you've used the combat roll / blind fire? Useless freaking features.

For one reason or another, this mission cemented my dislike of Niko and company more than all the drug trafficking and random murders.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Is this the first time you've used the combat roll / blind fire? Useless freaking features.
I've used the combat roll plenty of times, it's actually kinda good! It looks really slow and doesn't seem like it'd help at all, but enemies genuinely tend to have a much harder time hitting you while you're rolling.

Blind fire is okay-ish, especially if you're aiming with a mouse. For some reason (that reason being the fact this PC port is complete poo poo), KB/M actually disables recoil and bullet spread completely so it's easy to get those headshots even when firing blind. Even easier than intended, that is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 35: To Live and Die in Alderney

In which we fight a bunch of Russians, the Feds and the lockon system.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Man, I don't remember the scripted events being so....obvious. The bus was pretty decent but the forklift from nowhere and the cop slamming into the guardrail and being in absolutely no hurry to get going again were just cringeworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The cop going full Austin Powers in front of us was actually not a scripted event (I just watched another run of this mission and it didn't happen), I just happened to hit his car at just the right angle to spin him out in a way that made him block the road.

The cop that smashes into a guardrail earlier and flips over is scripted, though.

• Locked thread