Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Not sure if you're aware, but you don't have to take pictures of the people individually. I've always done this mission by taking a picture of the whole group talking amongst themselves and Playboy X confirms which one of the three it is in his return call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

rchandra posted:

I've only really played 1 through San Andreas, I think my least favourite from the PS2 era was Vice City's The Driver. You have this race that's much tougher than the rest, all to convince the guy to drive for you, then you end up having to drive yourself anyway.

gently caress that mission. The only way I've ever been able to complete it is by blocking the road before the mission starts and shooting Hillary's tires out. Though the only thing that's ever really caused me to ragequit was one specific mission in San Andreas's Driving School side missions. Specifically, the one where you have to ramp the car up on two wheels and steer it towards the target area while remaining on two wheels.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Some of those driving school tests in San Andreas are completely ludicrous and getting gold is seemingly luck-based. Namely, "barrel roll off this ramp, land without a single percent of damage and stop at this exact point" and the "Jump & Stoppie" from the motorcycle school. The latter was actually removed from the iOS/Android releases because it was nearly impossible to pull off even with proper controls.

That one too, I forgot about that one. I also had a lot of trouble with the time trial mission for James Woods (Mike Toreno, I think the character was?) where you're driving a Monster all through the Las Venturas countryside. That was mostly because my graphics card was poo poo at the time, so I had some desync between the mission timer and the actual gameplay, meaning I could never finish the mission on time. After I upgraded my graphics card and got around to playing it again I finished it first shot with so much time to spare I was flabbergasted.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a family issue, obviously, so why doesn't Niko tell Packie about it? I'm sure he would probably still tell Niko to ice Francis, but it would be more likely that he would do it himself.

Either that or tell Gerald and Gerald would do it himself. I don't actually remember if Gerald was in the slammer by this point.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Zeniel posted:

I'd imagine you can't. Lots of missions in this game insist on you wearing a suit before you can progress and I'm guessing this is most definitely one of them.

I actually really enjoyed GTA IV but this was without a doubt one of those small irksome things that drove me up the wall (see below for another!). Compare to previous titles in the series where if you required an outfit for a mission, you'd be automatically changed into it upon starting said mission. It's a complete quality of life downgrade.

Then on the flipside, we go back to the old system in GTA V but the protags are also constantly changing their clothes if you're not controlling them, so picking something you like becomes pointless unless you don't plan on switching.

Why can't they find a balance? :negative:

Paused posted:

I like the McRearys.

Hardly a compliment, but GTA4 is making me feel like most the regular missions are just Niko doing his 9 to 5, whilst McReary missions are doing favors for a mate.
The exceptions being the 'main plot' missions... but they are so few and far between.

I guess it sums up GTA4 well, with it's more 'realistic' take on things.

I also like the McRearys, but listening to them talk is a little jarring. For whatever reason Rockstar ran with the fact that they're Irish and it shows in the dialogue. Only the problem is, none of them speak with a brogue. It's really awkward and off-putting listening to clearly notIrish voice actors "try" and sound Irish with certain sentence structure and a bit of common vocabulary here and there. I say "try" because you can tell most of it is read without conviction. A prime example being Derrick's line: "I'm honest about me demons."

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Wow, that was about the wettest fart of a subplot close I've ever seen. At least Packie and Niko got some more screen time and another car chat. I'm starting to really like Packie.

The diamonds are unfortunately what ties all the characters' stories together, so you haven't seen the last of that subplot, DLC permitting. You're not even gonna loving believe what happens to them by the end.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think it was an issue of competence so much as the focus on "realism" they were adamant on for IV. The story was satisfactory at best, driving was a lot less fun, although I appreciated the attempt at more realistic handling. When you get down to it though, it's just not as fun when you spin out 9 times out of 10 trying to do a handbrake turn. Weapon selection wasn't as varied, they completely axed the military from the game, it was just... bland. Like the environments of most games of its time. Dan Houser's a pretty decent writer but GTA just doesn't belong in a realm of gritty realism. GTA is about mayhem, crime and staying out of prison despite the odds and sheer lunacy of it all.

Look at GTA V or hell, even The Ballad of Gay Tony. They went back to their roots after how lukewarm the story's reception was and surprise surprise--they turned out great. GTA is meant to be crazy balls-to-the-wall action through and through and I hope they never forget that again.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

So here's a thing. On my first playthrough, I killed Darko but on my second I decided to spare him... kind of. While driving away with Roman he started his little speech about how Niko should be proud that he was able to let go and all that jazz. I then ran over Darko which cut the dialogue mid-sentence and prompted Niko and Roman to immediately switch over to their "execute Darko" dialogue.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Ah dang, I was hoping you'd go the other way. Doing the deal makes more sense from a plot standpoint since Dimitri has been the primary antagonist the whole game. Logically, he should be the final boss.

However, I find the revenge ending more satisfying. Everything plays out the exact same with the exception of Dimitri being swapped out for Jimmy Pegorino, plus you get to hunt the bastard down on his own boat like an animal. Also Kate dies instead, so no major loss there.

Johnny Amadeus posted:

Thanks a ton for this LP, Doc. I used to feel so guilty for not having finished this game due to getting frustrated with just about everything in it. Now I know it wasn't going to turn into my cup of tea later on!

It's not over yet, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Maybe it makes more sense the way it plays out? But as far as the choice goes, I can't see any reason why you'd choose not to kill Dmitri at that point. Like you say, Dmitri's been an antagonist since near the beginning, so why would Niko work with him now? gently caress that guy. Really he should just not agree to help Pegorino, but since he already did that in a cutscene the only reasonable choice is to go kill Dmitri.

And yes, he should be the final boss. The game story should end when you kill him, whether that be after Roman's wedding or before.

The whole game's just kind of a mess like that. It was developed in a time where player agency was the Next Big Thing (Mass Effect, et cetera), but the choices were kind of hamfisted into the game, almost like they were afterthoughts. For all we know, they were afterthoughts and instead of being linear mission progression they just tweaked them to work in a forked path fashion. Considering how many of the choices affect so little of the game (only the Deal/Revenge choice affects the plot in any way shape or form), it's entirely possible choices were added later on in development.

• Locked thread