Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Pile of Kittens posted:

Careful, I'm sure you know this because your wife is a horse lady and all, but if you take a horse from a winter diet straight to new spring grass, they can founder and be lame forever. I'm sure you wouldn't move the horses without her permission, but I wanted to mention it on the very remote chance that you would, and didn't already know about that danger. Foundering is dumb and horses are built really stupidly in certain ways. Whoever invented the term "healthy as a horse" was a goddamn idiot.

Hahaha. Yeah I'm enjoying the way they find new and interesting ways to cost me money.

I let her decide where to put them for the day as I also am still learning about land management as well as horse diets. I know they were eased into grazing as well as a new diet. I believe they also get some kind of supplement to help as well. I just follow instructions and try to ask pertinent questions so I can not sound completely dumb when the vet, farrier, hay guy, or her friends are around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did you ever get the mudpit turnout addressed? I may have some insight, as I've spent the last year addressing drainage issues at the farm I work at. It's crazy what a little ditch-digging and sand does to transform muddy areas into dry ones. Our pole barn used to get a small creek running through it every time it rained. Now it's snug and dry during even the hardest rains.

Not yet, though the warm and sunny weather has gone a long way towards improving the situation. I really need to rent or buy a trencher. Throw that on the ever-growing list of poo poo to buy, hah.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Noise Complaint posted:

Hahaha. Yeah I'm enjoying the way they find new and interesting ways to cost me money.

I let her decide where to put them for the day as I also am still learning about land management as well as horse diets. I know they were eased into grazing as well as a new diet. I believe they also get some kind of supplement to help as well. I just follow instructions and try to ask pertinent questions so I can not sound completely dumb when the vet, farrier, hay guy, or her friends are around.

You're so good. :3: I give way too many fucks about random internet animals. You're also living my childhood dream, before I realized I love living in the middle of the city and having no back yard.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

You're so good. :3: I give way too many fucks about random internet animals. You're also living my childhood dream, before I realized I love living in the middle of the city and having no back yard.

I know the feeling. :)

Speaking of random internet animals, Sam is becoming quite the helper dog. He loves having all this space to run around in. He respects the other animals and is quite the ridiculous pup.

I mean cmon. Look at this face.

No real updates today but I wanted to post this pic and comment how incredibly nice it is to come home to this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Noise Complaint posted:

Not yet, though the warm and sunny weather has gone a long way towards improving the situation. I really need to rent or buy a trencher. Throw that on the ever-growing list of poo poo to buy, hah.

Nah, sometime all you need is a mattock, shovel, gravel, and time. If you can get a good idea of how your land flows, you can pretty easily dig a shallow ditch and divert a major percentage of water away into sacrifice drainage areas, like low-lying lawns or swamp or woods. Digging a small pond can also be helpful, but you need to put it in the right place and will probably want a digger for that. What's the layout of the property like?

I'm working on getting my knucklehead to respect other animals. She loooooves to chase chickens and goats and anything that moves. We're working on it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nah, sometime all you need is a mattock, shovel, gravel, and time. If you can get a good idea of how your land flows, you can pretty easily dig a shallow ditch and divert a major percentage of water away into sacrifice drainage areas, like low-lying lawns or swamp or woods. Digging a small pond can also be helpful, but you need to put it in the right place and will probably want a digger for that. What's the layout of the property like?

I'm working on getting my knucklehead to respect other animals. She loooooves to chase chickens and goats and anything that moves. We're working on it.

Here's a very basic layout, oriented north.

The entire property from north to south has a slight downward grade, including the muddy turnout. The sand ring has drainage dug to the north of it, the drainage runs all the way to the east of the sand ring and follows the property line all the way to the main road where it joins the road drainage ditch. There's also drainage dug on the western side of the dirt road running all the way down to the main road.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So it drains to the road ditch? I would just dig a nice little 2ft deep trench along the south edge of the mud pit, then dig a channel down to tie in to the road ditch. Put leech pipe on bottom, then a layer of gravel (1's and 2's are good if you can get them for a base layer, then finer tillings on top), then a layer of sand, then replace the dirt and top with grass, but mark the area so you remember not to drive over it or park the mower there or whatever.

Or you can dig a dry well, that would work too. What's the soil composition like?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

So it drains to the road ditch? I would just dig a nice little 2ft deep trench along the south edge of the mud pit, then dig a channel down to tie in to the road ditch. Put leech pipe on bottom, then a layer of gravel (1's and 2's are good if you can get them for a base layer, then finer tillings on top), then a layer of sand, then replace the dirt and top with grass, but mark the area so you remember not to drive over it or park the mower there or whatever.

Or you can dig a dry well, that would work too. What's the soil composition like?

It's deep, dark soil, no clay, not sandy at all, it's classified as USDA Prime Farmland. I haven't had the composition tested quite yet, however.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Noise Complaint posted:

It's deep, dark soil, no clay, not sandy at all, it's classified as USDA Prime Farmland. I haven't had the composition tested quite yet, however.

Daaang. Nice. But ditching and french-ish draining should go a long way towards improving the mud situation.

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!
All the more reason to prioritize a tractor. Sure you could dig that poo poo by hand, but tractor.

I put a french drain in my driveway to reduce the washout at the bottom. I was going to dig it by hand because all i have is a loader on my kubota. Took me about ten minutes of digging before i said gently caress it and just ended up using the loader. It worked pretty well considering the rocky clay bullshit that passes for soil at my house.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had the local extension service come out and look at my pastures - evidently I'm buying a sprayer for the tractor, and I should have treated with grass safe herbicide like, a month ago.

Estimated cost between various treatments and purchasing a sprayer, $1-1.2k. Aren't horses great?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

Aren't horses great?

.......Neigh.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Been crazy busy the last month working on the farm, and unfortunately lost my crazy awesome grandmother a little over a week ago so I haven't gotten back to updating this in awhile. I figured I'd at the least do an image dump because everything is quite beautiful right now.

So spring is awesome, legit everything is in bloom, and nothing is soggy and muddy anymore! We have some gorgeous flowers growing pretty much everywhere on the property.

Everything that was formerly a dreary brown mud pit is now exploding with green, even the horse turnouts that were heavily abused.

The chickens are really filling out, and in fact we were given a big black cock to watch over them, and he's been doing a fantastic job. He even takes care of the ducks!

I borrowed some heavy equipment to clear out the planting area, turned the soil, and put down all the seedlings I had planted. I have to get some better pictures of my work but I'm very proud of this. I also found a secondary shallow well for irrigation, repaired that, and found all the underground pipes to the various outdoor taps were still good to go, which means I don't have to haul water around anymore!

My wife and I took our firearms safety course and we were gifted a hand-me-down ..22 and 12 gauge, which I'm pretty happy about.

We also went and picked up those two goats mentioned previously, Grasshopper and Luna. The horses won't eat most of the crappier plants the goats are completely at home devouring. We brought them home in my wife's new to her car, including going through a DUI checkpoint, which made the cop's night.

Sam and Ellie are doing extremely well, with both happy to be off leash on the farm, which makes me very happy.

Ellie is slowly morphing into the :stare: emote.

Anyway, I hope to make a more extensive update soon with some plans. Especially with some pictures of the large horse turnout that had been completely destroyed. All it took was a bit of drainage and some grass seed and it's doing wonderful now!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Goats are the best. You're gonna get more.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Noise Complaint posted:

Anyway, I hope to make a more extensive update soon with some plans. Especially with some pictures of the large horse turnout that had been completely destroyed. All it took was a bit of drainage and some grass seed and it's doing wonderful now!

GOATS! Awesome. What cuties. How did you end up doing the drainage?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Did they breathalyze the goats?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Goats are the best. You're gonna get more.

We're already looking at bringing another home tonight that a neighbor wants gone. Hah.

Suspect Bucket posted:

GOATS! Awesome. What cuties. How did you end up doing the drainage?

So you're going to laugh, but there was already drainage for the street. It was filled with dirt, leaves, branches, rocks, etc. I just took a day and cleaned it out and while the property still has swampy areas. It's much better during rainfall.

I was able to plant grass seed in the large horse turnout area now that they graze in the pasture, we lucked out and got some AWESOME weather for the grass, and now it's rooted and the turnout looks great. I figure by next year it'll be mature enough to actually put the horses in there.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

My wife brought home another goat today and this one needs to be milked. :gonk:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Noise Complaint posted:

So you're going to laugh, but there was already drainage for the street. It was filled with dirt, leaves, branches, rocks, etc. I just took a day and cleaned it out and while the property still has swampy areas. It's much better during rainfall.
I'm gonna cheer instead. That's a lucky break. For the remaining (non-horse) swampy areas, if you need them to be walkable, I can only recommend making friends with your local tree services. Tell them they can dump chips at your place for free. You'll usually have to move it yourself from whatever convenient pile they put it in, but it's the best solution we've found for lifting wet areas. Smells good too. This is of course, for areas the horses don't go, as wood chips can be dangerous for horses. but great for goats!

also, your hands are gonna get hella strong from goat milking. Take it easy at first, don't rush or push yourself, take aspirin beforehand. Enjoy delicious milk and cheese and butter.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Noise Complaint posted:

I'm coming from a southern New England perspective, so I should definitely clarify. The town I live in is "farm" rural vs undeveloped rural. While I do have neighbors, the bulk of the town is small to medium sized family-owned farms. The vast majority of the routes in town are still dirt roads and there's little to no non-agricultural industry. I'd say it qualifies as very rural (for Connecticut) but not remote. I'm about a 20 minute drive from the nearest Dunkin' Donuts. That might as well be in Timbuktu as far as New England is concerned. Hah.

im in middlesex county in CT and the dunkin donuts location must be wrong, i live in a town of <11k people and we have 3 of the fuckers in a 2 sq mile radius

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I really loved the pic of the goats in the car. Can we have more goat and horse pics please?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im in middlesex county in CT and the dunkin donuts location must be wrong, i live in a town of <11k people and we have 3 of the fuckers in a 2 sq mile radius

That's how they do. The secret of Dunkin' Donuts is that they aren't great doughnuts. They're just everywhere, and exist in density to make them a habitual stop.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

True story. My wife went through Dunkin Donuts drive through on a horse. They did not even flinch.

Tonight is real fun. One of the goats got out and into an azalea bush so we medicated and gave charcoal and such and we're checking on her in intervals while about 20 coyotes circle. Both my wife and I are walking outside armed. I've shot a few rounds and hit one of the coyotes and my wife shot 2 rounds and didn't hit anything.

I knew I signed up for some poo poo when I got a farm, but sitting in a lawn chair next to a possibly dying animal with a rifle across my lap to defend it was not in my mind at that time.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dang man sorry to hear that. Hope it pulls though. loving coyotes

So I guess you have some bushes to pull up now. =/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

WHAT'S YOUR AM REPORT SOL-JUR, WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THAT GOATLY

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Noise Complaint posted:

I knew I signed up for some poo poo when I got a farm, but sitting in a lawn chair next to a possibly dying animal with a rifle across my lap to defend it was not in my mind at that time.

Hard core. Fuckin azaleas though. Tear them out and plant blueberries instead.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Grasshopper made it through the night. We had no coyote problems after 3:30 or so so I was able to get fresh air into the barn. I think it was the amount of noise she was making that attracted them, it was really sad.

She made her way out to the field this morning and my wife just ran to Tractor Supply to get some fluids, syringes, and a few other things so we can help her out a bit.

I gave her a bit of subcutaneous pain reliever and a bit more charcoal this morning. I am very very optimistic.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Noise Complaint posted:

Grasshopper made it through the night. We had no coyote problems after 3:30 or so so I was able to get fresh air into the barn. I think it was the amount of noise she was making that attracted them, it was really sad.

She made her way out to the field this morning and my wife just ran to Tractor Supply to get some fluids, syringes, and a few other things so we can help her out a bit.

I gave her a bit of subcutaneous pain reliever and a bit more charcoal this morning. I am very very optimistic.

I am not sure what kind of fencing you have, but I have found 5 wire electric effective at keeping goats safe. My wife and I have 5 acres fenced in with a 10 joule charger. I sunk 4 8' ground rods and also used the existing barb wire for a ground. Coyotes, stray dogs, and our cat won't mess with it. Even the local deer have learned to stay away. It also helps that one of our geldings really hates dogs.

If grasshopper is up and eating feed/drinking again she/he will probably be ok. Some of ours got into white snakeroot last year and survived. It's when they are down and refuse anything that it's big trouble.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Many goat prayers for grasshopper, bah'men.

In lieu of an update from Noise Complaint, here's a picture of our very happy goats just released today into a couple acres of woods at the back of the property behind my pond that we just got fenced in. They (and I) are very happy that they will spend the hottest couple months in the shade, doing what they love most. (And clearing out the unusable mess we've got back there).

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Happy goatz!

We lost Grasshopper this morning. We had given her some probiotics and a bit of pain reliever the night before. At some point in the night she kicked the bucket. Too late for me to harvest the meat.

Burying a large animal is hard, and it seems like an animal gains about 3 times its body weight when it passes. The intramuscular pain reliever and questionable time of death kept me from harvesting the meat, as well as the poison from the Azalea.

What a goddamn waste. RIP Grasshopper

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

How much did the goat cost you? I have no idea what the going price for "A Goat" is.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Sorry about your goat. Be sure to give them B vitamins as well whenever they stop eating.

As far as cost goes, that depends on the breed, pedigree, sex and who's selling it. We have some bucks that I expect to get $60-100 for as meat goats at auction, a normal (we have saanens and Guernseys) milking doe is $300-1000 depending on a lot of things. A decent pedigreed breeding buck can go for $500-1500. For a pet, I would sell a weather (castrated male) for about $50-100.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Sorry to hear about grasshopper :( If coyotes are a big problem in your area you might want to look into getting a livestock guardian dog, especially if your planning to expand your herd down the line. A good LGD is worth it's weight in gold and depending on your area, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good working litter on craigslist.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So sorry to hear about Grasshopper also.

Ausrotten posted:

If coyotes are a big problem in your area you might want to look into getting a livestock guardian dog

Donkey.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Guard donkeys are neat in theory but they're much less effective than LGDs

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
So what you're saying is that he needs a guard llama?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Noise Complaint posted:

Happy goatz!

We lost Grasshopper this morning. We had given her some probiotics and a bit of pain reliever the night before. At some point in the night she kicked the bucket. Too late for me to harvest the meat.

Burying a large animal is hard, and it seems like an animal gains about 3 times its body weight when it passes. The intramuscular pain reliever and questionable time of death kept me from harvesting the meat, as well as the poison from the Azalea.

What a goddamn waste. RIP Grasshopper

Do you not have any woods to just drag her to

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

He's already got a coyote problem. Feeding them will make it worse.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Needs to make a proper hunting party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Shoot more of the coyotes, they cause less trouble when dead.

I one-shotted a squirrel off the swaying branch over the bird feeder last weekend. The others still haven't learned, but small amounts of lead should train them too eventually.

• Locked thread