Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kastein posted:

Shoot more of the coyotes, they cause less trouble when dead.

Shooting coyotes only makes the problem worse in the long run. Shooting them leaves a void in the population that mamma yotes rush to fill with babies. Babies that grow up and compete for wild resources, and get pushed right back on to your land. The only way to get rid of coyotes from your livestock is to reduce access to easy meals. I would suggest a Livestock Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I one-shotted a squirrel off the swaying branch over the bird feeder last weekend. The others still haven't learned, but small amounts of lead should train them too eventually.

High speed lead poisoning is quite satisfying. But yeah, what Suspect Bucket said.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

I one-shotted a squirrel off the swaying branch over the bird feeder last weekend. The others still haven't learned, but small amounts of lead should train them too eventually.

I like to take squirrels with a wrist rocket and glass marbles.

It's quieter, so the others don't run, and I can do it inside city limits if I have to without the cops coming over.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We actually found out slingshots are illegal in my state recently. Not sure about NoiseComplaint's.

I do have a slingshot that needs a new rubber hose and a few hundred marbles though, I had the same idea :ninja: at the time the local dollar store was selling bags of 50-100 for, well, a dollar.

I'm more accurate with an air rifle though... squirrels are pretty dumb and come back 5 minutes later anyways.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

So what you're saying is that he needs a guard llama?

Place I used to work at in Virginia had guard llamas to take care of the small herd of sheep.
I never heard of them losing one to a coyote and we would hear them all the time.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Suspect Bucket posted:

Shooting coyotes only makes the problem worse in the long run. Shooting them leaves a void in the population that mamma yotes rush to fill with babies. Babies that grow up and compete for wild resources, and get pushed right back on to your land. The only way to get rid of coyotes from your livestock is to reduce access to easy meals. I would suggest a Livestock Guardian.

Yep, their response to population pressure is pretty insane really. It's no mystery why they're so difficult to get rid of. We had a massive coyote cull this year and I'm really dreading the surge in the population next year. At least by then my Pyrenees will be old enough to start handling them though.

The other thing is you can't shoot coyotes when you aren't home or are asleep.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The worst part is, if you shoot one adult coyote, they get quickly replaced by three or four sub-adults. Shooting them piecemeal is a great way to actually increase a coyote population.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

coyotes in CT are a goddamn menace

when i grew up we had a small forest in our backyard that ended about a mile away. every spring you could hear when the pups were born, the pack would go nuts and you'd hear yips and howls all goddamn day

the pets would be freaked the gently caress out and hide in the house

i moved back in town and live on another edge of the forest and i haven't heard them yet this year. maybe im too far

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
The pests, coyotes, deer, etc. Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have so many people moving in and deciding to feed the cute animals.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a buck goat to keep separate so I can breed on demand. The nubian that's left apparently only really goes into heat early in August for about 6 hours to a day at a time, and the other goat, who knows. I have plenty of room for a herd of 10 or so, so I am going to breed.

As far as coyotes go. I'm looking into more spotlights on the property. I also am looking into picking up a rifle with a little more punch than my little .22. I was recommended a .223 Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and I've been looking into those. I know killing them isn't a great plan, but once they step into the cleared portions of the property and seem unphased by the lights, or me yelling, or the big dog being aggressive, I get a bit worried.

Sam isn't a livestock breed or anything, but he's a lab/hound mix that's headed towards the 100 lb range and is unwaveringly devoted towards protecting me and my own. I love that loving dog. He'd put himself in between a chicken and a goddamn grizzly if he had to.

Anyway, this weekend we start prep on the property for NEAI 2016. The big AI goon meet that we have every year. This year it's here. This should be interesting.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have found the mini-14 to be a bit loud. If you want a .223 I would suggest building an AR. I gotta wonder though, being that your only on 5 acres in Connecticut, do you have enough distance between houses to safely discharge a .223? Are rifles even legal to discharge in your county? You may want to strongly consider that before you get into trouble.

Also, bucks are my least favorite part of keeping goats. Dairy breeds are seasonal, as you already know. Ours come into season around September and immediately start pissing all over themselves. They pee and pee until they are covered with stinky rotten musk. We pen breed, so this is the only time of year we wind up handling them. Not fun. Wish you were closer, I have a dozen or so Saanen buck kids ready to go (with ADGA registration and a good pedigree too). By the way, a doe should cycle every 21 days until she's bred. Ours generally remain in heat for a couple days. We try to breed once early on in the cycle.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

rdb posted:

I have found the mini-14 to be a bit loud. If you want a .223 I would suggest building an AR. I gotta wonder though, being that your only on 5 acres in Connecticut, do you have enough distance between houses to safely discharge a .223? Are rifles even legal to discharge in your county? You may want to strongly consider that before you get into trouble.

Also, bucks are my least favorite part of keeping goats. Dairy breeds are seasonal, as you already know. Ours come into season around September and immediately start pissing all over themselves. They pee and pee until they are covered with stinky rotten musk. We pen breed, so this is the only time of year we wind up handling them. Not fun. Wish you were closer, I have a dozen or so Saanen buck kids ready to go (with ADGA registration and a good pedigree too). By the way, a doe should cycle every 21 days until she's bred. Ours generally remain in heat for a couple days. We try to breed once early on in the cycle.

I'm surrounded by many acres of woods and can legally discharge any firearm on my property in my town as long as I'm far enough away from the road ( I am. )

I can not, however, legally buy an AR-15 in CT. Woo.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Oh my god and yeah, I know about bucks. A goat who pisses on he own face, a shameful goat.

I just would rather be self sufficient and have the pastures and barn stalls to handle some males for the time being, so I might as well until the inbreeding/genetics won't work out.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rdb posted:

I was going to make a snarky post about why you thought a Mini-14 would be louder than an AR when they fire the same round from the about the same length barrel, but then I did some research and apparently that is indeed A Thing. I learned something today.

An AR would also be easier to get a suppressor/barrel for, if CT allows them.

e; I think I just answered my own question. AR-15s are pretty much banned in Connecticut.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 18, 2016

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Why do you need semi auto though? If you miss I assume the coyote will get the gently caress outa dodge anyways

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Why do you need semi auto though? If you miss I assume the coyote will get the gently caress outa dodge anyways

I don't, however, the ranch rifle was the model I was pointed towards. I'm open to bolt or lever action as well if it's in the same price range. I'm not on the up and up as far as the best makes and models go.

Anyway, I have a broody hen this morning, which is good, because I've been hoarding some fertilized eggs in hopes of getting a batch of chicks. The mix of the 3 hens I have now and the rooster I have should produce "olive eggers" which lay dark olive colored eggs.

So hopefully in 21 days I'll have lots of baby chick pics to share!

Here's little miss broody. She's one of the 3 hens my new technician at work gave me as he's trying to cull his flock down as he's wasting a lot of eggs.

Here's the 3 ducks now, nearly grown up. The grey one is the male, the other two are female. I still have yet to get names for these guys so feel free to suggest some!

The eggs I've been collecting every morning. Not bad at all.

Here's Luna and the chickens. Look at that goat titty, shes gonna be a GREAT milker.

And more of the two goobers. They save me so much lawn cutting time it's not even funny.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You have some nice fat chickens.

I'm sticking to game chickens....they stay away from the house mostly and kinda mind their own business in the pastures. I highly recommend some Malaysian Seramas. They are fun little birds, and the roosters have the tiniest little crow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Terrible Robot posted:

An AR would also be easier to get a suppressor/barrel for, if CT allows them.

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Yeah uh I already edited my post to show I knew what a retarded statement that was.

Duck names: Sir Ducklesworth III, Esq

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I also need duck names as I've got 8 little muscovies and 3 Pekins that need identity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You should name the male duck Corky. :haw:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Noise Complaint posted:

As far as coyotes go. I'm looking into more spotlights on the property. I also am looking into picking up a rifle with a little more punch than my little .22. I was recommended a .223 Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and I've been looking into those. I know killing them isn't a great plan, but once they step into the cleared portions of the property and seem unphased by the lights, or me yelling, or the big dog being aggressive, I get a bit worried.

I'd probably look into something like a Savage Axis bolt-action in your situation. Something like this. Savage makes good rifles, and the glass they come with isn't terrible, and the price is half of what you'd spend on an AR or Mini-14. Probably do even better used.

kastein posted:

We actually found out slingshots are illegal in my state recently. Not sure about NoiseComplaint's.

I do have a slingshot that needs a new rubber hose and a few hundred marbles though, I had the same idea :ninja: at the time the local dollar store was selling bags of 50-100 for, well, a dollar.

I'm more accurate with an air rifle though... squirrels are pretty dumb and come back 5 minutes later anyways.

With good bands, the slingshot'll kill them. :gibs:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 18, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

You should name the male duck Corky. :haw:

:perfect:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Comedy option: get one of those weirdass Remington pump-action .223 rifles. :v:

Actually those apparently start at $1k msrp, so maybe not. I can see why, though, they can't be moving that many of 'em, so you don't get the discount because they're selling a zillion of 'em like with the 12-gauge version that retails for under $400.

Double comedy option: Marlin Guide Gun, I know people who swear by them for coyote hunting. Downside, you're burning like $1.50 (it's been awhile since I bought ammo) every time you pull the trigger on a .45-70; otoh, 350-grain hollowpoints will drat near turn a coyote inside-out. Also good for moose, grizzly bears, and anything else that walks upon the earth with heavier solid bullets.

But yeah, looks like a used Mini-14 is your best bet. Or if you're not married to .223, also consider an SKS or Mini-30 if they're legal there. We're well past the time of dirt-cheap surplus 7.62x39 (and cheap SKSs, for that matter, I wish my dad had bought a second one for me back in the '90s when they were $100), but because of that glut of SKSs new cheap 7.62x39 is still cheaper than .223 (and the Soviet rifle dgaf about quality of the ammo), and an SKS might still be a little cheaper than a Mini-14.

The Mini-30, of course, is a Mini-14 that shoots the 7.62x39 round of the SKS/AK, worth it if you find one at a good price just because it's goofy as hell (the Mini-14 being a scaled-down .223 replica of the M14 battle rifle that took 7.62x51NATO, then scaled back up a little to take the Commie short 7.62) .

Also, name a chicken Cumfartz (after a chicken so named by the viewers in a Harvest Moon Let's Play thread here ages ago.)

Edit: what sort of range are we looking at here? Because a 12-bore with 00 buckshot is by far the cheapest, legalest option. With the proper choke it's good to ~40 yards, or use slugs and get out to short rifle distance. Cheap slugs are probably on par with .223 in terms of price and you can get a used 870 for a couple hundred bucks at any pawnshop. And you can also use it for ... oh wait you're raising ducks, so you'd probably not be terribly into duck hunting, since you've got them right there.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 18, 2016

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Haha. I actually have a Mossberg 500 and a metric fuckton of 00 buck. I'd like a little more range as the song dogs seem to like prowling around the tree line which is about 70 or so yards from the small barn.

I'm raising ducks so I don't need to duck hunt. That's why I got a drake. I can raise and cull as needed for that delicious delicious duck meat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

I'm open to bolt or lever action as well if it's in the same price range. I'm not on the up and up as far as the best makes and models go.

This is not in the right price range, but would be the appropriate choice: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

That's actually only a few dollars over the mini14 and goddamn I'm loving it. Maybe it's just growing up with way too many John Wayne movies but there's just something about a lever action that incites a bit of excitement.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Motronic posted:

This is not in the right price range, but would be the appropriate choice: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

That's ... interesting. Though that barrel looks a bit silly -- I'm used to levergun barrels being the same OD at both ends (or at least not so steeply dropping off). Aside from the derpy profile, it looks like fun on a bun.

Hell, if you're that into leverguns, get a used Winchester 94 in .30-30, same ballistics as 7.62x39, decent ammo price (again, because they've been making them since 1894, everybody and their dog has one for deer hunting -- in most places .223 isn't legal for deer, may not be an issue for you), THE OG levergun, cheap as poo poo at the pawnshop. And has iron sights, which the .223 Henry doesn't, oddly.

Edit: check your local stores for bargains before paying MSRP for some special snowflake rifle, is what I'm getting at in the broader sense.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 19, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

That's ... interesting. Though that barrel looks a bit silly -- I'm used to levergun barrels being the same OD at both ends (or at least not so steeply dropping off). Aside from the derpy profile, it looks like fun on a bun.
And has iron sights, which the Henry doesn't, oddly.

Yeah, it's supposed to be a long range thing and I think they were going for balance. I'm also confused at the lack of iron sites, but I guess they really wanted to sell this as a distance rifle.

Delivery McGee posted:

Hell, if you're that into leverguns, get a used Winchester 94 in .30-30, same ballistics as 7.62x39, decent ammo price (again, because they've been making them since 1894, everybody and their dog has one for deer hunting), THE OG levergun, cheap as poo poo at the pawnshop.

I revise my statement. THIS is the right answer.

Also, .30-30 is a touch less powerful than .308 (in a standard load) with fewer precision pullet options, but has this perception as a "brush round" that has somehow been misattributed to ballistics. It's mostly because of the rifle you posted. Short barrel so you can swing it in the brush, great saddle gun.

Since we started this at .223, any 30 cal will do the job.

But just to make sure, maybe we should start suggesting 50 cal solutions.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Noise Complaint posted:

Haha. I actually have a Mossberg 500 and a metric fuckton of 00 buck. I'd like a little more range as the song dogs seem to like prowling around the tree line which is about 70 or so yards from the small barn.

I'm raising ducks so I don't need to duck hunt. That's why I got a drake. I can raise and cull as needed for that delicious delicious duck meat.

A Mossberg 500 seems to be a good candidate for Brenneke slugs. I don't know how much they are, but Brenneke has some interesting claims for their slugs.

Brenneke KO slugs: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html?&L=0%22%20onfocus%3DblurLink%28this%29

You could probably buy a decent shotgun optic and a lot of slugs for the price of a new rifle.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

.243 Win is a VERY, VERY versatile round and cheap as poo poo to boot- You get a fair whack more punch than .223 but its nowhere near as brutal on your shoulder as the .30+ calibers in a lightweight gun. Will eat anything from a little 55gr round doing nearly 3500fps right up to 100gr rounds so you can easily have some big heavy expensive rounds for deer and then little lightweight rounds for smaller vermin. I've got a big BSA .243W that i'll use 55gr rounds in to knock foxes over at 2-300m and it will also quite happily drop a goat or a fallow deer at 100-150m with a 90gr Nosler ballistic tip.

.308 on a coyote seems a tad, excessive.... you gotta think about what that round is going to do after it punches clean through and fucks off at god knows what angle across your paddock- Small high speed rounds are brilliant at not going out the other side.

That said, my father uses a .22 Hornet to very deadly effect on anything from a rabbit, through a fox all the way to goats, with the bonus of it doesnt tell EVERYONE in the district he's shooting. If you want to do that, you drag out the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Then people 5km down the valley know we've shot something.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
.243 is a necked-down .308, no fuckin' way it's quieter than .30-30 blackpowder-equivalent loads.

Edit: if you can't find the Ur-levergun, get an SMLE. .303 Brit is somewhere between .30-30 and .308 in ammo price and oomph (and JHP round are available at extra cost, there's enough around from the last days of the Empire to get the volume pricing, just like the modern-ish NATO/commie baby-rifle ammo), and the rifle (boltgun, $200, ten in the mag and reloaded via 5-round stripper clips, I'll send you some clips if you pay for postage) is, well, what Victoria's soldiers conquered half the known world with. And if you're right-handed, it's on par with a levergun or semiauto -- the best of the British clockwork musketry machine scored 36 hits on a minute-of-man target at 300 yards in a minute, starting with half a mag and slapping SEVEN clips into it at some point.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 20, 2016

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

So here's some before/after photos on the two muddy overused turnout areas. Click for big.

Before I planted forage and let the small turnout rest.

3 months later.

This is the large turnout. The "after" pic isn't the greatest, I'll have to snap a new one today.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do you have a high and dry sacrifice area for winter, or will you use the same pastures all the way through?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you have a high and dry sacrifice area for winter, or will you use the same pastures all the way through?

I think we're going to use the goat pen and just turn the horses and goats out together during the winter. It's at the higher end of the property and has been nice and dry. The barn attached to it also has power so I can run immersion heaters for the water troughs in the colder months attached to some thermocouples.

I'm not willing to let the big turnout attached to the larger barn turn into a soupy mess again.

Here's the better after pic of the large barn's turnout. No more soupy mess after it was allowed to drain properly! Amazing how that works. :)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

When they're all turned out together, will you be feeding everyone at the same time, or will you feed the horses in stalls?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

angryrobots posted:

When they're all turned out together, will you be feeding everyone at the same time, or will you feed the horses in stalls?

The horses get grain in their stalls separately as they're on a pretty strict individual regimen including supplements.The goats will be getting grain together in a trough feeder in their own stall as well. We're feeding them some timothy/alfalfa pellets right now and have a mineral lick in their stall until I make a trip to the feed store and get something nutritionally balanced for them including the minerals they need. In the winter we will probably toss out a bunch of hay for them all in the turnout during the day and they'll all get a couple flakes in their stalls individually at night as well.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Might wanna swap out the mineral block for loose minerals, goat tongues are pretty soft and they can have a hard time getting the correct amount of nutrients from block. Plus a lot of blocks have a shitload of molasses added to them to encourage consumption which can gently caress with their copper absorption. Honestly if they're not knocked up or in milk, legume hay, forage, and loose minerals should meet their nutritional needs just fine. Some grain is fine obviously but there's no need to feed them shitloads of it unless you're raising show Boers or something.

I'm loving jealous of your pasture btw

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

That's my plan. I just need to get time to get over to the feed shop in town vs. buying from TSC. They'll be good until Saturday.

Annie is putting on some weight. She was really emaciated when we picked her up. It's insane how much better her coat alone looks, nevermind her shape in general.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

gently caress. Just, gently caress.

Lilly, the thoroughbred, got out of the pasture yesterday evening and got hit by a guy in a truck doing 30 over and not paying attention. She had multiple compound fractures, I mean her legs were nearly severed, and her ribs were shattered.

I had to put her down on the side of the road because the state troopers aren't allowed to do it for a domestic animal and it was too late to find a vet that was close enough to do it. I loaded her up with sedative and the troopers held her down, gently, while I took her life with a shot to the back of her head. It was horrific.

This is the first time I've had to do anything like that and it's going to stick in my mind for a very, very long time. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Noise Complaint posted:

gently caress. Just, gently caress.

That sucks so bad, man. I'm so sorry to hear that.

• Locked thread