Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

slow souls games, fast souls games, and armored core

and the half is Déraciné

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

Everybody always latches onto the DS1 callbacks (usually to complain), but nobody ever talks about all the DeS references.

I don't get any of the demon's Souls, or Bloodbourne references, and I doubt I ever will.

Not unless Sony gets real cool about a bunch of stuff.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Can you still get to the top of fire link shrine without the tower key by using the tree jump method?

Having a hard time jumping up and wondering if they changed it.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Still doable.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Best I remember they tried to patch it once but only half-heartedly, so instead of being insanely easy you need to put a little effort in.

I was shocked at how readily I was able to do it despite being on KBM.

...Then quickly doing it again because I got confused about something and dropped down wrong. :argh:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The only thing necessary to see player summon signs is be in ember form correct?

Just wondering since I don’t see any, though it’s an old game so makes sense.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's impressive that they managed to make a prison with enemies even more anxiety-inducing than the squids in tower of latria

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

theblackw0lf posted:

The only thing necessary to see player summon signs is be in ember form correct?

Yes. If you can see NPC summon signs, you should be able to see player signs. Except for Anri at Aldrich’s and Gael at Friede’s, but those are exceptions.

I’m on PS4, and there are some areas that get very few signs. Where are you looking?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Anri's is also unique in that you load into a new instance, you are the summon in their world. Meaning your flasks are halved, you lose any embering. And you also get embered if you were not beforehand, which is honestly quite handy.

They explored this mechanic further in Yura's questline in Elden Ring.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Yes. If you can see NPC summon signs, you should be able to see player signs. Except for Anri at Aldrich’s and Gael at Friede’s, but those are exceptions.

I’m on PS4, and there are some areas that get very few signs. Where are you looking?

Aldrich. At the bonfire and at the gate.

Edit: now at Dancer: still no summon signs

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 6, 2024

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Anri's is also unique in that you load into a new instance, you are the summon in their world. Meaning your flasks are halved, you lose any embering. And you also get embered if you were not beforehand, which is honestly quite handy.

They explored this mechanic further in Yura's questline in Elden Ring.

Sirris at the Irithyll bridge is also a summon into her world, right?
And Sellen in ER

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

theblackw0lf posted:

Aldrich. At the bonfire and at the gate.

Edit: now at Dancer: still no summon signs

I don't think either of those are big summon hotspots to begin with. At least they weren't for me on PC years ago, I can't imagine they're any busier now. :shrug:

Even Twin Princes could be spotty, but if you're gonna get hits it'll be for them. Or maaaybe Dragonslayer Armor?

It's also possible you're at a slightly wrong level range and just not matching with whatever few players are around.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

theblackw0lf posted:

i saw a few signs here and there but like 98% of the player interactions i had were in the ringed city, where it seems like most people congregate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone else doing earlygame having problems with the summons timing out? Idk if it’s just a Steam Deck/PC Dark Souls problem (I did my last run on the PS4) or just my internet, or maybe even the international summons being on.

Also maybe the wrong thread for it, but is there any way to make the controller properly show the PS4 inputs if I’m using one?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Also maybe the wrong thread for it, but is there any way to make the controller properly show the PS4 inputs if I’m using one?
Not officially, gotta use iGP11 or UXM: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/278

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ugh, thanks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I like how they never bothered to fix the freezing issue, and it seems worse than ever. Must have happened half a dozen times or more just in reaching firelink just then. A search result said to disable in game overlay, but its already off. This is unplayable.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

codo27 posted:

I like how they never bothered to fix the freezing issue, and it seems worse than ever. Must have happened half a dozen times or more just in reaching firelink just then. A search result said to disable in game overlay, but its already off. This is unplayable.
Try this:

giZm posted:

Old af post but I finally found a solution to those freezes (also fixes them in Elden Ring):

Disable "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" in Device Manager -> Software Devices
Stops Win10 from constantly trying to talk to an offline FireTV stick on my network, no more freezes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That did it alright

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Grinded for the Lothric Straight Sword because the scaling is supposed to be good and it’s one of the best 1H weapons in the game, and this thing…feels really, really good. I guess the dex requirement is a bit steep on a pyro build but I’ll make up for it eventually.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Whenever I listen to the song "All along the watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix it makes me think of Dark Souls and IDK why precisely. Its just got that vibe IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI you can safely just use a Fire or Chaos or Dark Longsword (that's right, the same one the Knight class starts with) and have 90% of the same functionality as an LKSS. LKSS really shines in pvp, where spacing matters and that extra length really helps with spacing and roll-catching.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Counter argument: Longswords are just long daggers, functionally they can't stagger anyone who's not naked in PvE and provide no benefit to the the knight's poise. But they sure to buzzsaw through things fast, which might be all you care about.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

codo27 posted:

I just knocked off Gael last night after starting Easter weekend with my high faith Jesus character, I should have checked the thread because the graphic freezeups were loving interminable. I remember the same thing happening the first few months Elden Ring was out and it was nigh unplayable there, but for some reason I just powered through on this one, probably because it was the last Souls game available on PC that I hadn't played.

Foul Fowl posted:

oh yeah and the other really cool thing about the ringed city was that i actually got invaded like three times, and i had no problem finding a human to fight for the halflight fight. pvp in these games is still super fun. i beat two people and got absolutely smoked by this one player.

I got pretty regularly invaded any time I was embered all through the game on PC, and got summoned to get killed by other people's invaders pretty constantly as a blue sentinel.
I was actually relieved when I finally got a round at Halflight where a human DIDN'T get summoned, because I'm terrible at pvp and they thoroughly destroyed me every time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Spears of the Church is my favorite. My crowning achievement was dunking the same player 3 times in a row. Round #4 they came back with a small army of summons and steamrolled me. They technically won but that player will have to live with the fact they couldn't handle me and got so tilted they summoned 3 extra players to get past me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

raditts posted:

I got pretty regularly invaded any time I was embered all through the game on PC, and got summoned to get killed by other people's invaders pretty constantly as a blue sentinel.
I was actually relieved when I finally got a round at Halflight where a human DIDN'T get summoned, because I'm terrible at pvp and they thoroughly destroyed me every time.

in retrospect i may have completely wrecked my soul memory or whatever it's called in DS3 by doing dancer first and picking up the fat knight twin axes in the castle.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ds3 doesn't have soul memory. Matchmaking looks for your highest upgraded weapon and then tries to match you vs players with similar equipment & character level.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool replaying DS3 after Elden Ring and Sekiro, because a lot of poo poo just plain doesn’t bother me as much. Some of the generic enemies still feel like a bit much in terms of effort, but I’m not really dreading dealing with a lot of stronger ones like I used to, just mildly annoyed when a glowing red eyes giant man with wombo combos shows up. This is still a real good game in general, but I liked it a lot when I played it, which means I remember a lot and kinda wish I could erase my play through of my first run.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

I remember a lot and kinda wish I could erase my play through of my first run.
I think I speak for everybody in the Soulsbornes thread when I say: amen.
Nothing like the first time full of "what the gently caress is THAT?!" and "how the gently caress!?"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always held 3 over 1 as my favorite/best IMO but I'm finding it a bit of a slog this time around. I just got done with Breath of the Wild, and I was always cursing its many flaws like the absolutely insane weapon durability system, lack of enemy variety, too many bland open areas and the final castle section being a wet fart to end it off. But going back to something more linear right after is making me eager to just ditch it and finally NG+ Elden Ring, I'm missing the adventure aspect.

It starts pretty slow, High Wall isn't terrible but it doesn't compare to the Undead Burg, and the Undead Settlement isn't all that great either. I dreaded the giant crabs but I know things are going to pick up after that.

Invariably, in every game, I wind up going with big 2H gently caress off sticks but I want to try and get a grasp on parrying while also using something with faster response for a change. I'm using the tired old axe of the deep but its still too slow for what I'm looking for. Even the uchigatana isn't doing what I want. Seeing big chunks come off the life bar scratch a certain itch and I'm already a bit frustrated at taking 3 hits to kill rank and file peons but I need to try and overcome that. I tried the red hilted halberd I found but the R1s are still too slow. Guess I'm gonna have to give in and try the damned dagger.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Try a rapier for a fast and fun weapon. I really liked the frosty Irithyll rapier that you get from the outrider knight at Lothric Castle.

Big Hat Sage’s soul can be turned into a magic rapier that embiggens item discovery too.

Then there’s the vanilla rapier at the High Wall.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol that the Crystal Sage clones have like 1 HP so the cheap as poo poo throwing knives every build can use make them way more manageable than probably intended. Also I remember the watchdog minibosses being a lot harder, I still cheesed one (curved sword guy) but that’s because Muhammed Ali came and almost killed me while i was fighting them. Man, summons are great sometimes, I almost miss how Elden Ring made it nearly impossible to be ambushed by some weirdo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Last Celebration posted:

It’s cool replaying DS3 after Elden Ring and Sekiro, because a lot of poo poo just plain doesn’t bother me as much. Some of the generic enemies still feel like a bit much in terms of effort, but I’m not really dreading dealing with a lot of stronger ones like I used to, just mildly annoyed when a glowing red eyes giant man with wombo combos shows up. This is still a real good game in general, but I liked it a lot when I played it, which means I remember a lot and kinda wish I could erase my play through of my first run.

The most infuriating enemies for me were the penishead snake men at Archdragon Peak and the thrall guys in the ringed city who can throw lightning bolts and completely ruin your day when you have to dodge multiple of them at once and keep an eye out for those fat Harald fucks who are desperate to pound you into the ground as soon as they get a glimpse of you. The big guys at least telegraph their moves enough that they're easy to dodge or get some distance.

axolotl farmer posted:

Try a rapier for a fast and fun weapon. I really liked the frosty Irithyll rapier that you get from the outrider knight at Lothric Castle.

Big Hat Sage’s soul can be turned into a magic rapier that embiggens item discovery too.

Then there’s the vanilla rapier at the High Wall.

I don't know what I was doing wrong but rapiers in ds3 felt so slow to me. I loved them in ds2 because you could poke someone like it was a prison shiv, but there must have been something different about the way you're supposed to use it in 3 that I never had the patience to get the hang of.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Last Celebration posted:

lol that the Crystal Sage clones have like 1 HP so the cheap as poo poo throwing knives every build can use make them way more manageable than probably intended. Also I remember the watchdog minibosses being a lot harder, I still cheesed one (curved sword guy) but that’s because Muhammed Ali came and almost killed me while i was fighting them. Man, summons are great sometimes, I almost miss how Elden Ring made it nearly impossible to be ambushed by some weirdo.

The throwing knife trick turns a boss that would otherwise be a complete nightmare at high NG cycles or at SL1 extremely doable.

Also trying to hit the clones with an UGS is also extremely annoying and would otherwise lead to a huge number of chain punishes.