Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you playing with a keyboard+mouse? The default controls are infamously lovely and can easily ruin the game. I found a setup that worked for me but it took like 2 hours of tinkering, and most people call it crazy. If you really want to play these games you should probably just get a controller.

As for the wiki consulting, these games can be obtuse at times. Its fun to figure stuff out on your own but sometimes that simply isn't possible. The best way to handle that is to just ask in one of the threads. There are more than enough people that know every last stupid detail about this series.

Yeah, KB+M. I don't mind a challenge, but I hate having to fight against the interface. It's aggravating in all the wrong ways.

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

lets hang out posted:

Sounds like it's not for you

Guess you're probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Looking forward to running around with a parrying and poking stuff again. Basically relied on a parrying dagger and ricard's rapier in DkS1 a whoooole bunch. Didn't use them as much in two though. While thrusting swords weren't bad at all, I found the timing on the parries to be a bit weirder to pull off.

I've also been quite happy to see how fast this one looks, since speeding around and poking stuff in Bloodborne made it a bit a weird to go back to DkS1 and 2. Pretty excited!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

3Romeo posted:

Yeah, KB+M. I don't mind a challenge, but I hate having to fight against the interface. It's aggravating in all the wrong ways.

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

I've never heard of anyone actually beating the game with the default control scheme. Either rebind some stuff til you find a setup that's comfortable, or just get a controller. The default is trash.

And for the most part you can figure out stuff on your own, its just easy to miss a lot of small details. Most of these don't matter in the long run; missing one item in an area won't end your game. Don't feel like you need to do everything perfectly, there's no point in that. What exactly is giving you trouble?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

3Romeo posted:

They could've made the kb+m better but it would still be bad, if you want to play this game definitely get a controller.

You don't need to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough, the game works inside it's own universe :confused:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just get a gamepad, it makes the game click pretty much

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

am I understanding these PC requirements properly? If I have a 750ti and a 3570k @ 4.2 I'll need to upgrade to at least a 780 in order to play dank butts 3? :smithicide:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

GreenBuckanneer posted:

am I understanding these PC requirements properly? If I have a 750ti and a 3570k @ 4.2 I'll need to upgrade to at least a 780 in order to play dank butts 3? :smithicide:

Depending on the resolution you probably will be able to (not at 60 fps, but still able to play).

Genocyber, you should probably leave these somewhere in the op

http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-dark-souls-3-port-analysis/

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 11, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

Correct. And at this time tomorrow it should be the only open Dark Souls III thread.

It's kind of bad for min/maxing due to having >7 luck, since you only want luck if you're going to do a luck-centered build. Starting naked is also actually more difficult now because defense has a greater effect at mitigating damage than it did in previous games. It does start with the club though, which has a rad Skill.

that is awesome that armor may actually mean something now, instead of just having another round of fashion souls

How important/not important is luck? I do like to collect items in the Souls series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

3Romeo posted:

Guess you're probably right.

Get a gamepad. And you absolutely do not need to every consult outside help; at most you might need to do this to find some secret areas. It gives you the basic controls in the Asylum (also why you should have a controller since it only shows controller prompts for that) and from there teaches you through experience.

Node posted:

that is awesome that armor may actually mean something now, instead of just having another round of fashion souls

How important/not important is luck? I do like to collect items in the Souls series.

For the purposes of getting items Luck is kind of bad. Each point boosts item find by 1, when item find boosting gear/item boost the stat from 50-100 depending on the item. However, a Luck build is worth doing (probably not on your first run) because there is not only a Luck-scaling sword but also an upgrade path that makes weapons scale with Luck.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 11, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Node posted:

well you can go a build that scales damage off of luck

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I've got an exam tomorrow in Clinical Neuro. If I do well, I'm buying DS3 with the season pass to celebrate. If I bomb the exam, I'll buy DS3 with the season pass to forget about my sorrow.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Use a game pad, either an XBOX controller or a PS3 Controller. Don't play with mouse and keyboard. Don't consult things just play the game.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i'm kinda anxious to see how my aging GTX 680 4GB and i7 3770k perform at 1680x1050, witcher 3 was rough

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm loving jazzed that this game unlocks at 3p PST in the US. this is going to be the only redeeming thing about getting a tonsillectomy over the weekend.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Carl Seitan posted:

I've got an exam tomorrow in Clinical Neuro. If I do well, I'm buying DS3 with the season pass to celebrate. If I bomb the exam, I'll buy DS3 with the season pass to forget about my sorrow.

Good luck with your exam Carl Seitan

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

ShadowMar posted:

i'm kinda anxious to see how my aging GTX 680 4GB and i7 3770k perform at 1680x1050, witcher 3 was rough

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GreyPowerVan posted:

well you can go a build that scales damage off of luck

Naaaaah I want to be a knightly dude with heavy armor and a heavier weapon and an even heavier shield.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

oh! i didn't see that. that's not too bad at all really.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Are the Mushroom Monsters back in this game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yes but now they are parasites that grow out of undead like adorable cordyceps fungus.

May or may not be true.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Am I the Furtive Pygmy?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We're all furtive pygmies by virtue of posting on this forum.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I cannot wait to play this game.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

This weapon arts business worries me. Does this mean I HAVE to use shields now?

EDIT also LUCK? From loves introducing strange new mechanics that enrage fans. Looking forward to 30 pages of "LUCK ruined the series" chat.

White Phosphorus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 11, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

White Phosphorus posted:

No. Pressing the Weapon Skill button will use the skill of the weapon or shield in your left hand, or the skill of the weapon/shield you're two-handing. There are certain shields that let you use the Weapon Skill of the right-hand weapon without having to two-hand it, but they're not mandatory by any means.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

White Phosphorus posted:

No, some shields let you use weapon arts instead of parrying, but all weapons can use their weapon art when 2-handed.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

or if you're one handing with nothing in your off hand

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
How viable is punchman options. The only thing I take pride in my life in is my ability to punch my way through all of the souls games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ryen Deckard posted:

How viable is punchman options. The only thing I take pride in my life in is my ability to punch my way through all of the souls games.

The basic Caestus is good, and there are additional fist weapons in the game that are also good.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ryen Deckard posted:

Extremely viable.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly, dark souls 3 is really good and with the 1.03 patch, pretty much everything is viable. Can't want to start 100%ing this game.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Vermain posted:

The basic Caestus is good, and there are additional fist weapons in the game that are also good.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Extremely viable.

I'm not sleeping tonight, slapper soros will ride again.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

homeless poster posted:

i'm loving jazzed that this game unlocks at 3p PST in the US. this is going to be the only redeeming thing about getting a tonsillectomy over the weekend.

I have an outpatient surgery in the morning. I can't wait to get home, get loaded up on pain meds and play some Dark Souls 3.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

White Phosphorus posted:

Like others have said, Weapon Arts are not reliant on shields. I think there are even normal sized shields that still parry, so you still have the option to have a shield larger than a postage stamp and parry.

It can feel a bit odd when you are using a weapon skill that just forces you to two hand the thing anyways, such as the longsword stance. But that's still more convenient than stopping to switch between one and two handed wielding.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

3Romeo posted:

These games absolutely "work inside their own universe" without consulting wikis etc in the same sense that a game like nethack does. its totally possible but you have to be very patient and very attentive to detail.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

These games absolutely "work inside their own universe" without consulting wikis etc in the same sense that a game like nethack does. its totally possible but you have to be very patient and very attentive to detail.

Keep in mind this is also largely still talking about DS1. Good luck understanding your Warrior or Bandit only has 5 I-frames on their naked front flip dodges in DS2, while in DS1 you can easily work out that 9 I-Frames is because you are flopping onto your back like a fatass, instead of the 11+ wearing less gear.

Meanwhile, I really only consulted a wiki in my mostly blind DS1 play to check what stuff I missed in areas I had beaten. (Wish I had known about that particular Ring before I had been through Blight Town and Sen's Fortress though :shepface:)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 11, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Earwicker posted:

yes and no. something like adaptability and attunement increasing your agility, and then realizing that there's certain agility breakpoints where you get more iframes on your roll, or that you drink estus faster, or etc. are not things that the average player is likely to ever notice on their own.

now stuff like "should i answer yes or no to the NPC who asks me X Y Z" you could reasonably expect the player to be able to figure out, although again, with DS1 the pyromancer actually worded his question so that you would answer it the opposite of what you might intend if you actually wanted to buy poo poo from him.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

3Romeo posted:

Wait. Wait wait wait wait, wait. Wait! Wait; wait--wait. One moment, please.
Are you playing Dark Souls 1 on PC without the DSMFix (Mouse Fix) to unfuck the controls?

Beyond that, good luck 'n all for however long you're willing to play with that wonky scheme.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Just blasted through DS2 NG+ in the last few days to get ready :2bong: Sat on the seat to perpetuate the cycle. Any word if the kb+m controls are similar to DS2's? I was fine with those, though they were less than ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
How many ways are there to recover FP in this game? Is there a regen ring like in Demon's Souls? Are there consumables like grass? Or are you entirely reliant on Ashen Estus?