Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Please don't think I'm intentionally making GBS threads up the thread or anything, but I'm trying to get into the series and I'm just not digging it. I recently picked up DS 1 (PC) and went into a game with a monumentally lovely control scheme, unintuitive play, and a laundry list of some relatively basic questions I had to consult a wiki for.

I really want to get into the game - I love the try-until-success concept, the art, and the oh-poo poo terror of seeing a new boss - but so far it's just flaccid rear end. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you playing with a keyboard+mouse? The default controls are infamously lovely and can easily ruin the game. I found a setup that worked for me but it took like 2 hours of tinkering, and most people call it crazy. If you really want to play these games you should probably just get a controller.

As for the wiki consulting, these games can be obtuse at times. Its fun to figure stuff out on your own but sometimes that simply isn't possible. The best way to handle that is to just ask in one of the threads. There are more than enough people that know every last stupid detail about this series.

Yeah, KB+M. I don't mind a challenge, but I hate having to fight against the interface. It's aggravating in all the wrong ways.

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

lets hang out posted:

Sounds like it's not for you

Guess you're probably right.