Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mindblast posted:

And what are some good Dex things? Im kinda spoilt for choice.

The Irithyll rapier is fun, even if it’s more of a quality than a dex weapon.

One of very few frost weapons, has decent reach and a fast moveset. Hearing the frostbite ping during a tough fight is very satisfying. Possible to get relatively early in the game if you decide to cut Emma and fight the Dancer before you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The Watchers are hard as heck, and gave me more trouble than anything else in DS3.

First part of the the fight you can pretty much sit out. Let the redeye phantom do most of the work. Next part I beat by sort of figuring out which attacks were punishable, and which had a mean followup and rolling rolling rolling.

I am bad at DS3 :saddowns:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Get the DLC. Painted World is great, and Ringed City is more of a mixed bag.

Friede and Gael are some of the best bosd fights in the entire game. Midir is more of an endurance challenge.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Barons, tell us about your DS3 build and which bosses still are a challenge.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The hardest part of the King of the Storm battle is fighting the goddamn spinning camera. :barf:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Qmass posted:

does painted world have an "end" ? I killed friede and the wolf man down in the ice and now I dunno where else I could go.

There are no end cinematics for either DLC. Kill the boss, get the souls, that's it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Murder all NPCs, buy all embers, weapons and spells.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I have never once accidentally attacked anyone in any souls game

how are people doing it

DS3 is my first Souls game. I had just killed Gundyr and made it into Firelike shrine. There are no friendly NPCs up to that point, so when I see a knight sittning on the stairs I went for a backstab :ese:

...and that's how I started my second character in DS3.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Is the parry window much smaller in DS3 compared to DS1?

I could never pull off parries reliably in DS3, and in DS1 it seems to work if you start your parry as soon as the enemy starts the attack.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

I have just encountered dark eater gently caress face and legit had a five minute fight where I missed every attack I did

After each attack, run up to Midir and boop his nose. Once.

Retreat. Dodge. Boop. Retreat. Dodge. Boop.

The worst part is staying patient and never be greedy with attacks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Blundering into the Abyss is pretty much the only way to die by Wolnir.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

I like to play Dark Souls 3

:same:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Someone should mod in the rusted iron ring, Dark Souls 3 really needs it in places.

The DS3 version is two-handing a dagger and hopping through the swamps with L2.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do I keep reading/hearing about how Old Demon King is one of the hardest bosses in the game? He's been consistently one of the easiest in my experience.

For me it was that it's a player-vs-camera fight. That's a problem for me with all the huge bosses (Midir, Demon Princes, King of the Storm). I get motion sickness from the spinning camera :barf:

Also, I went in a bit underleveled for a new player, since I hadn't found the Cathedral and died a lot.

Later I learned that it's a good fight for summoning the NPC phantom since it gets you some nice stuff for Fashion Souls.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Summoning Gael for Friede doesn't count :colbert:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Friede is sensitive to bleed and lightning. If you are summoning Gael, keep him alive and let him be bait and you can get backstabs and bleedouts.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The most anticlimactic ending is The Ringed City. You get some paint for Baby Priscilla, maybe.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There's another DS3 thread??? :confused:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I got a lot busy lately so I'll be trying to tackle Farron Keep next, and Catacombs (which seems like a tough/scary level, idk).

Should I do Smouldering Lake first before going to Irythill?

If you summon the NPC phantom for Smouldering Lake boss and they survive the fight, you can pick up som nice rags for Fashion Souls in the Undead Settlement after.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

For a quality build, infuse it with a Refined stone. Improves STR and DEX scaling from C/C to B/B. Or if you decide to go more DEX it gets an S scaling for DEX with a Sharp stone.

Since Lothric Knight Swords are farmable, and stones are relatively abundand, go nuts!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I went back to DS3 for a bit with my glasscannon DEX build. I got an odd question: How do I fight Midir as a phantom?

Playing Solo, Midir is hard as hell but predictable. When you're a phantom, Midir's attacks are all over the place and it seems like the punishable openings are smaller somehow. I keep dying before barely getting any hits in. Any tips?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The NPC quests in DS3 are stupidly fragile. I have never got to see Patched dressed as Siegward in the cathedral because there are so many ways to break that part of the quest.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I can reliably kill the first phase of nameless king with minimal damage, but the second phase?

This is harsh... Evaluate me.

It's one hell of a fight.

Prince Lothric is very sensitive to lightning. Get some resin and try to stab him when he falls off. Switch the lock on so all attacks focus on the little guy.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

central dogma posted:

Started a fun DS3 build yesterday. Ol' Cornelius Coot, a farmer. His background story is he drank some funky moonshine and woke up in the Cemetary of Ash. He's not sure what all this hollow and fire-linking business is and just wants to go home.

He's limited to using "tool" weapons from Undead Settlement, such as plow, scythe, hand axe, wooden hammer, great machete, etc. And wears only worker garbs. Refined build.

I've never taken any of those to end game, let alone ringed city. We'll see how they fare.

Cool idea. Go with the big rake thing from the settlement!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I rolled a Knight. Hoping to get a Claymore soon.

Zweihander right there in the Shrine :fyadride:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Equip a dagger two-handed and use the weapon art to hop through the swamp.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I am playing DS2 for the first time, after a couple of runs through DS3 and a single one of DS1. Currently at the tower with the bullshit room where I just read itt that you’re supposed to lure a dodongo to climb down.

I like the coop.

Despawning enemies is a weird mechanic but gives people like my who suck at certain aspects of the game a chance. Not sure if it’s net good or not.

Jumping is much better implemented than in DS1 or DS3. Actually feels like a jump can be aimed and timed and has a nice whoosh fx.

I liked the slowly illuminating a level with torches mechanism in the Gutter.

Many bosses are too easy, but Sinh is maybe the best boss fight in the entire series.

Controversial opinion: All Souls games are actually good. :colbert:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Hey, I like posting about Dark Souls here, and I’m happy it looks like the forums aren’t dead yet.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Wolnir summons skeletons if you keep him alive. Once you know the ONE WEIRD TRICK! (Abyssals hate it!!) he never stays up long enough to start.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Post pics.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

aka pestilent mercury mist :yosbutt:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Lots of threads in DS3 are similarly unsatisfying imo. Like what the gently caress is up w ludleth that weird little freak? What did he do?? Did they create a new pocket of reality or some poo poo? No one knows

Ludleth linked the fire during his age, like all Lords of Cinder except Prince Lothric. When the fire faded and there was no one to link the flame the old Lords of Cinder were resurrected and summoned to Firelink.

Ludleth was the only one with the courage to show up, but there are no real bits of lore about his age.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I kinda got the impression the Watchers and Yhorm had just straight up hollowed past the point of even understanding the call.

That makes sense. Poor Yhorm doesn’t even recognize his old best friend anymore. And with the Watchers busy murdering each other, they have got to be as hollow as to only remember stabbing.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Kind of disappointing that Orbeck is an assasin that never actually tries to kill you or anyone else.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

neurotech posted:

DS3 (on the Aussie PS store at least) is on sale at the moment, 75% off. I'm very tempted to get it... how active is DS3 on the PS4 in terms of multiplayer these days?

:getin:

I played DS3 first, and it's dank and good.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The route to disable the ballista in Smouldering Lake is the best part of that whole area, and you can pick up the ridiculuos Fume Kninght Gonzo Sword from DS2 there.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can just dash past the Pus of Man on the High Wall. Once you drop off the roof you’re safe.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The Judicators, angels and Harald knights on the stairs are bullshit :argh:

The long hike from the Ringed inner wall bonfire to the Ringed city streets bonfire is bullshit too :argh:

Other than that, the Ringed City is very atmostpheric, and I actually enjoy fighting the Ringed Knights. Leto is a fun phantom fight. Resolving Lapp's storyline is fun too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

They should have made the judicators non-respawning, would improve the city wall and the swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

I've never finished this dlc

You are missing out on one of the best boss fights in the entire series.