Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If you got the Abyss Watchers on the first try, you somehow got good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

giZm posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Rad Games > Dark Souls III: The Ringed City DLC - We just can't stop talking about DS2

Don't give up, Skeleton!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mata posted:

A bit curious about killing Yhorm on your first try though, did you pick up and equip the storm ruler during that first run or kill him without it?

If you draw aggro from Yhorm with a regular weapon, Siegward can pretty much solo him. RIP old friend.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

No Dignity posted:

The five knights outside their door were a much harder fight

Those knights are my go to guys if I need to farm some quick and shameful souls.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Nameless King is the most Player vs Camera fight in DS3. Hard to judge if your strike will connect or whiff the chicken, since there are no points of reference. Total confusion if you forget to remove lock on when the chicken starts flying. Stand too far down the neck, and the camera will swivel to inside the chicken and give you a nice view of just the polygons inside the neck.

Other that that, fun and epic! Good fight for jolly cooperation!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

And then I 1-shot Champion Gundyr. This game...

One-shot means beating a boss with a single attack. They usually require sequence breaks and glitches to perform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOilKDGDwLA

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

After the Demon King, there’s a gauntlet where you just have to haul rear end. Then there’s another part that’s a gauntlet too if you want. Stopping and killing everything isn’t really worth it, and there’s very little exploration.

Once you find the bonfire at the bottom of the stairs, it’s really good. There’s a swanp, but bo poison this time.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

After you beat Gael, go see babby Priscilla in the painted world. That’s about as much cutscene you get for the DLC endings.

Also, explore Gael’s arena after he’s dead. Treasure and a very angry NPC!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

What are some good/cool weapons for a Dex build?

The uchigatana dropped by the Sword Master outside firelink is a good starter. Lots of people like the sellsword twinblades that you find in Farron Keep near the Black Knight.

The Astora Greatsword, near the Cleansing chapel, is awesome and has S-scaling for Dex with a Sharp infusion.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If you convert the Dragonslayer Armor's soul into a shied, that will make the Nameless King very easy.

It's also a good spot for Jolly Cooperation!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Another completely bonkers video from Ymfah! How to beat Gundyr with AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qxuyUQ5GU

The AI stuff is bullshit, it's weird glitches and sequence breaks all the way.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I'm coming in DS3 after many years,

Pyro is great in DS3. You just have to beat the tutorial boss to reach the pyro trainer.

Pyro scales with INT and FTH like hexes in DS2.

The best offensive pyro spell is hidden behind and optional boss’ soul. It is awesome fun.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^^
Pyro and Dorhy’s, two flavors that go well together. The bleed buildup is static, and is not affected by rings, gear, talisman level or stats. No need to adjust the pyro loadout except swapping in a talisman.

Quickest way to get top rank in the Sunbros is to put down your sign outside the Dancer’s arena and then just eliminate her with Dorhy’s.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can go for Oceiros at any time you are strong enough to beat the Dancer, so you don't have to wait until late game.

If you are extremely good at Dark Soulsing, Oceiros can be the third boss you take down. Not recommended in any way, though.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Yoel’s free levels are needed in a questline that leads to the ’weird’ ending. But getting to that ending is convoluted and involves several other NPC.

As most DS3 NPC quests, it’s easy to break by just going to the wrong place at the wrong time. As in if you visit place X before talking to an NPC hiding in place Y, you’re locked out of the quest until next playthrough.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There’s some good loot in that room, but you can always yolo right through it to the other side and keep running.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Unlike DS2, you can run past pretty much everything.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The stairs between Dancer and Vordt is a good place to farm for a Lothric Knight sword.

Great allround weapon for the entire game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You are close to the Sunbro covenant shrine. Be a Sunbro, put down your sign in front of fog gates and get summoned.

Turn in 30 sunlight medals for the second best offesive faith spell in the game.

Dancer’s is a great place for getting summoned. If you have found Dorhy’s gnawing, that spell will just rip Dancer to shreds in a sing blue estus.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

My FTH run was maybe my least favorite build. The good offensive miracles come late in the game or are hidden behind a covenant.

Most fun part was ripping Namesless king to shreds with sunlight spears in the first phase, and dorhy’s gnawing in the second.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I just beat Dark Souls Remastered last night! Having fun, so I am just jumping into Dark Souls 2.

I am thinking of doing a straight up caveman build. So just focus on VGR/END/VIT/STR? What would be good caps for them?

The Stone ring is available pretty early, and it is great for improving poisebreaking. The enemies in DS2 are harder to pancake than in DS1.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I have never minmaxed resistances in DS3 except for getting the items swimming in lava down in Demon's Ruins.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

goblin week posted:

This is gonna sound like a joke but you can just use a shield to block the lava damage.

:laffo: That is incredibly stupid! Love that janky FROMsoft logic.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Magitek posted:

The "I shall partake" dudes appear in the third swamp, in the Ringed City DLC

There are swamps in the Ringed City, Corvian village and in Irithyll, but they arent poison swamps.

There are lady NPCs with bare feet in…

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Technically, Blighttown wasn't a swamp.

:hmmyes:

Water, leeches, mosquitoes. But not dominated by trees. It’s more of a marsh.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The hand axe that the pyro starts with is actually great and can carry you the whole game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

The only thing necessary to see player summon signs is be in ember form correct?

Just wondering since I don’t see any, though it’s an old game so makes sense.

Yes. If you can see NPC summon signs, you should be able to see player signs. Except for Anri at Aldrich’s and Gael at Friede’s, but those are exceptions.

I’m on PS4, and there are some areas that get very few signs. Where are you looking?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Try a rapier for a fast and fun weapon. I really liked the frosty Irithyll rapier that you get from the outrider knight at Lothric Castle.

Big Hat Sage’s soul can be turned into a magic rapier that embiggens item discovery too.

Then there’s the vanilla rapier at the High Wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Also, am I remembering the lore right, and the reason the Profaned Capital is so effed up is because they tried making their own version of the Chaos Flame?

In every cycle someone tries to create a new First flame. It never works. In DS1, it resulted in Demons and deformities like Bed of Chaos and Ceaseless Discharge. In DS2, it’s more obtuse, but it ends up with the Lost Sinner locked up in the Bastille.

Someone tried to create a flame in the Profaned Capital, and everyone got burned to a crisp. Also, demon-like monsters happened. Yhorm sacrificed himself by linking the flame and restarting the cycle.