Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

porkinson posted:

Steam is pushing that stupid controller of theirs with ds3 for 40% off.
Is it good for ds? Any one with any experience with that controller?

No. Use the ps4 controller. Takes a bit to set up but is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah that p2 arrow rain of death is a real killer. Even dodging around the room constantly it's hard not to get clipped by it. As far as I can tell in the first phase it just goes in a line, but in the second it's always homing in on you. That fight feels a little too RNG heavy for my liking, but I still managed to get him down after only two or three attempts. But I kind of feel like I just got lucky with his spell selection, so it wasn't a very satisfying win.

The arrow rain is easy to avoid. Don't roll away from it just run. I run the perimeter of the room usually. Though then you are open to getting sniped by the 2-3 and sometimes 4 in a row dark blasts.. I ended up using switching out my Grass shield for the Crest shield, when it'd rain arrows i'd bust it out and hold it up and run a big circle, trying to face the boss right around when the arrow rain finishes. The Crest Shield has very good dark resistance for those cross-room attacks. Another thing I hate about the fight is how he teleports into the corners. If you get close the camera tends to wig out out the walls and broken pillars, especially when it pans up as he rises to do attacks.

Also, man, every time I get summoned it is with people who seem to know what they're doing. Yet when I need help seems like I either get down syndrome or palsy victims

Tenzarin posted:

Str weapons feel like total rear end in pvp. So hard to land hits. Can only get 3 hits from a full stam bar also.

what weapons are you using? If you're using big fuckoff str weapons it better have wide sweeping attacks.

Also running sweeping attacks are the poo poo, great for punishing chuggers.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 18, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

i love this so much, i can't wait for more gimmick pvp videos

oh god, that kick at 1:10 lol

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I sent the Thrall vendor "out to pillage" Like 3 days ago and he's still not back. He's not coming back is he? :( He sold good stuff.

I think you need to save Siegward dude a second time. You can recover his ashes so the handmaiden will now sell his wares but I dunno where they are.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Since I somehow posted this question in the wrong thread like an rear end in a top hat, where do I buy greatarrows?

only ones i found were from this http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/easterner-s-ashes

There may be more but I've not found em

600 souls an arrow yikes

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
on bluecops, you seem to get much more summons when embered. Though I could be wrong and often am

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

argondamn posted:

I give up. Blue Sentinels might as well not exist.

Works well for me. Are you embered? I definately get more hits embered. Just wear the covenant item and clear out stages as you go. It isnt as regular as the wolf covenant for sure.

Also, just to cover all the bases, the way of the blue and the blue sentinels are two different things.

Also go into options and enable cross region play for a bigger pool to pick from.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 23, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Aah. Serves me right for using Wikidot instead of Fextralife.

First playthrough I killed Curse Rotted Greatwood, but that's before I found out that doing that locks you out of Mound Makers.

Thanks!

It dosent lock you out of the coveneant, from what i read you can get it later via the sirris chick or whatever her name is.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Glenn_Beckett posted:

The way this game kicks you from a boss fight if your wifi disconnects, even though you're not summoning or anything, is really loving cool and good. what a cool and good feature that this game has.

Dont games on wireless connections.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

argondamn posted:

Nope. Doesn't work at all for me and a lot of people. I've done a bunch of playthroughs and literally left my ps4 on for two days to see if I'd ever get a summon.

I've had one and the host was already dead.

I wonder if it is a console thing. Works well for the PC master race

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anal Surgery posted:

I have now died to the loving Crystal Sage as a Lvl 27 pyro about 15 times. 7 of those, summons couldn't make it through the loving FOG WALL

I sure am glad we made greatswords do .5% more damage but maybe From could focus on fixing their suuuuper hosed up glitches at some point jesus i'm pissed i keep losing to this chump boss

someone hold me :smith:

use a quick hitting weapon and a summon. Those long windups leave you too open in the second phase.

That said there is a degree of luck involved on where his clones spawn and what spells they cast.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

Dear FROM thanks for making it so that it costs 75k to replenish my greatarrows after clearing a level, but I also can't sit and farm souls for them because I can only hold a MAX of 50 in storage.

its almost like they were trying to keep you from cheesing everything in the game with arrows

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Better get in on the boss soul glitch while ya can. PC master race can autohotkey it (use a program to lock in 30 frames/sec)

Saves lovely grinding if ya wanna quickly make highet lvl pvp characters

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I missed Demon Ruins on my first character. I just went through it on my second character, and I can safely say gently caress Demon Ruins. My least favorite zone by far.

yeah, it blows, but it became much more manageable when you just run past everything

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

Patches finally showed up for me. He was just sittin' there in his vendor spot (which is so far out of the way I only found it by dumb luck), and then he apologized to me for something he didn't actually do. Then I sent him after Greyrat.
How long does it take for him to show back up at firelink so I can buy the freakin' Catarina set?

i think greirat leaves and only comes back after you beat a boss

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Melanion posted:

Hooray for lovely hitboxes and longsword spam. A+ PvP I can see why so many people love it.

This guy was getting hits with his titchy little sword when I was too far for an uchi 1H R2 poke.

parry, or use any weapon with perseverance and punish r1 spam. Red hilted halbred or the black knight sword were solid for me. Preseverance is a great weapon skill for hard hitting weapons. The idea us you tank one or two hits to out-damage them in a trade.

Don't get upset just change up your build, R1 spam can be dealt with.

Overall I like the pvp, thou i am a bit tired of ganksquads.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd be lying if i said didn't always have an estoc on hand to exploit hitboxes use elite pvp tactics.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

I like that in a game about redemption and people getting second chances that most of the bosses have a "second chance," when they go into phase 2 or power up. I think every single boss has a phase change, actually.

trying to think, pretty sure wolnir dosen't unless you count him running you up into the skeletons

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

I bought PS4 over PC because I wanted the CE, but otherwise fully intended on making the PC version my go-to eventually. With the rampant hacking and softbanning though I may never touch it. 60fps isn't worth playing with hackers. I had enough of that poo poo in DS1.

I've been playing since release and pvp a bit and have only come across two hackers.

One was on a ladder and never died after I kept kicking him down. Black crystaled out. Another one has infinite poise and I could never stagger him with the BKS. (no he wasnt using Preseverance)

Neither were game ruining. Maybe it will become more prevalent as the player pool thins out.

Most annoying thing to me in DS3 is when my summoned helpers keep getting locked out of boss fights

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

How do people get banned from Dark Souls and what does it do? Just make it so you can't summon/invade?

It throws you in a server with other softbanned dudes. Much smaller and shittier pool of multiplayer players.

I am pretty sure people who pull the chord or quit out when invaded get put there also. gently caress em

At least that is what I heard, its all goonsay

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Does fire defense matter at all against the boreal dancer? Seems no matter what I'm wearing she does half my health with every major blow.

it does.

but I did wuss out and used the greatshield (black iron i think) which made the fight much easier. Still felt like I was cheesing it

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Oh so you're meant to grab the one at the throne and use it against him. That kinda sucks actually.

i imagine that must be really fun to do on a no-death run

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My issue with the dancer is just the number of different moves she has in her 3 stages. Difficult to memorize

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Despite people complaining about how PvP works, I feel like asymmetric pvp invasions have never been better.

It's effortless, fun and the matchmaking actually puts you against people of the same level. Love knocking people off with my Dragonslayer Bow in the Catacombs.

gripes aside I think I've had more fun pvping in this game than the others.

My favorite moments are when you and another invader kill off a hosts 2 summons and you chase him down and murder him while he desperately tries to summon others

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

dex was good in dark souls 2

katanas, spears, rapiers, bunch of good choices

:agreed:

Power-stancing dual +10 rapiers was pretty fun

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey, when farming for Symbol of avarice using the hunter charms do you have to rest at a bonfire between tossing them on the mimics? or can use the charm, wait for it to close, and use another charm? Also do the chests later in the game have a higher likelyhood to drop?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

I've found 3 Symbols of Avarice.

I have gotten one every playthough except this one, just haven't been lucky I guess

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

Don't you keep the things you find?

christ man use your loving brain and think for one minute why I would need one if i haven't found one on a new playthough instead of being a snarky, condescending tool

Jaaam posted:

Throw the charm, then when it's yawned and closed its mouth after a couple of seconds its teeth will shift and if there's an item it will appear. If no item, give it a single whack with a low damage weapon to reset and just keep repeating that til you get the symbol, you only need to rest to replenish the charms. I generally use the one in Sully's room with the golden ritual spear. Don't think later ones have a higher chance til ng+.

Thanks. Do I need to whack it? I noticed if you just wait it closes back on its own

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Got one. Thanks for the tips. Also to add, if you leave yorms boss room and go left there are two mimics side by side. Both open with just one charm. Downside is you have to kill a gargoyle and eight priests every run.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I've got a +5 Rotten Blood Ghru sword with 35/37 bleed and poison and it's pretty fast - but I don't seem to ever proc either on the enemies. My luck is at 18 now and I will be pumping it through the game, presently at Yhorm as the final one of the four. What am I missing?

Use carthus rouge with bleed builds and not the infusion.

Also, I am not sure if is as viable as it was, but you could grab Anri's sword which has pure physical damage that scales with luck. A side effect is your bleed proc increases with luck too, so when you used carthus rouge on it you'd get a drat good bleed with drat good base damage on a drat good longsword moveset. It was really overpowered, though I believe they nerfed the bleed on it, I've not attempted it post nerf so maybe another goon can chime in

Edit: They nerfed the AR but not the bleed. took roughly an 8% damage nerf. Still a solid weapon.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 27, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

gently caress, so I've got 40 dex and the remainder split among 10 STR, minimum usable health and the rest to luck - so I should respect to full luck and get his sword + carthus rouge it up? I spent a LONG time farming Warden Twinblades with no luck :(

er, well I dont think using carthus rouge on anri's pratical for pve, the anri sword was more of a pvp/bosskiller thing.

Keep grinding those twinblades :(

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Otakufag posted:

DS3 sucks: vitality and poise are broken, most spell casting builds are useless, no reason to manage armor apart from barbie dress-up mini game, tries to be bb in gameplay but ends up in a weird spot, lovely "team A" console port coding/optimization similar to ds1, etc. There, I said it.

Woa woa woah careful with all those unpopular opinions!

It aint perfect. None of the games were

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Am I the only sicko who uses Curved Ultra Greatswords? I never see anyone use them or, really, any mention of them at all. Are they a trash-tier class of weapons for idiots or something?

Exile greatsword is OK.... but most people use fast weapons it seems.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

caldrax posted:

Ever since the last patch I can't get controller support to work in this game with my ps4 controller on PC... I've googled the crap out of it with no success. It makes me sad cuz I really did want to finish this game. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be fixed with the first dlc or something.

What software are you using? Most trouble I have had is with the cable i was using. It requires a PS4 cable otherwise it keept disconnecting if using a wired setup. I thought for the longest time it was the software but it was just not using Sony's special cable.

Also make sure you have the 'hide from other programs' setting on. You may try running the software before even starting steam, I have to do this for Witcher 3.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 18, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Even in PvE? I was always under the impression that heavy weapons rocked in PvE and the faster weapons tended to be favored for PvP. Are fast weapons super dominant in PvE in this game also?

Don't get me wrong, I want to love big fuckoff str weapons, but after trying both the quick weapons are just better all around.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
my favorite thing to do in pvp is to watch duels and then nuke the winner with forbidden sun before he heals

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The only thing in the game i cant ever seem to handle are the jumping ghru wrestler things. Fuckers always kill me a few times in any playthrough. Well, except for my pyro playthru.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't like the dungeon because sometimes when you invade the game plays the ear-splitting corpse scream as soon as the world loads. That scream is way too loving loud when you're wearing headphones.

Also it has way too many mimics.

I got sooo tired of killing mimics, now I just blow like 50k souls on hunter charms every playthrough.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Agreeing that emebered up and fingered is the way to play. Kickin myself for pussying out and avoiding pvp in ds1 and most of ds2

edit: but you may wanna peek and pick a decent pvp weapon. guess you could just estoc/longsword your way thru but that's Boring Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
You can easymode the dlc's using a greatshield and a +10 mace

edit: thou not the bosses