Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

a lot of people are having that feel when no gf, apparently.

Also I got a bomb as gently caress hex version of fire snake, as well as a move where I throwup a boulder and flatten whatever it hits, v good for slow fatties

I couldn't find a good use for the latter thanks to the windup, until I realized it pancakes. Then I just chain cast it to smash to death anything unlucky enough to get backstabbed or riposte :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, gently caress.

I didn't pick up the grave warden fire spell tome during woldin fight, am I hosed? I want those black fire spells.

e: no fear, other people too stupid to pick up items it's hidden in the back of the bonfire room if you miss it

Minera fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 13, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

gently caress me right in my dick

If it helps, the same thing happened to me, only the crystal spear faded just before impacting as I got the last hit. You'll get him, buddy. :unsmith:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The dungeon has the first thing to make me literally jumpscare in Dark Souls. :mad:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Also I feel like I've gotten a decent way into the game by now, and I still haven't seen any offensive or buffing Miracles. My Faith/Dex build can't make any use of its faith! Stupid Firekeeper better start selling some soon...

If you've found the wolf covenant in the swamp area, you're really close to lightning spear. Keep going higher!

And 30x sunbroing gets you a really nifty miracle buff.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

solaranus posted:

Wooo made it to the firelink shrine, and now poking around. Have yet to die :hehe:

Anything I might wanna check out first?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_VlbduSdEk

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

mods please allow posters to upvote posts in this thread for estus flask charges tia

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Your Computer posted:

A way beside purging stones and curing it? How far into the game?

This is honestly putting a damper on my fun and if I can't do anything about it until the game is halfway completed or something I'm gonna be pretty sad.

getting five free stats and knowing my guy is beef jerky under the helmet i wear all game ruined the game for me too, just like ds2, and ds1.

not

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Oh my, Aldrich's is the best. It's like turbo bellbro.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

nice, I got my first ever dark souls hacker doing aldritch stuff

though to be fair I've never pvped much

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

This is why I stick with the PS4.

I am using the opportunity to poo poo post and catch up on all the news I've ignored the past two days, as I sit in his game camoflauged. he, unable to take damage. me, infinitely patient. him, unwilling to just cheat the 'real' game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

PVP is a clusterfuck, in the best possible way. I rolled up a knight and got zweihander and threw magic weapon on him, so as soon as I kill the tree and get the red orb I invade and I come in to...

me, a mad spirit
a host, with finger popped
a sunlight warrior, guarding him on a bridge
a second sunlight warrior, dueling a mad spirit
said mad spirit, dueling the second sunlight warrior
a red phantom, who was standing nearby where I spawned in

I didn't bother attacking the red phantom cuz I figure, gently caress it, we'll work together and get the host. We journey to the bonfire and find the scene described above. First thing I do is rush in and finish the sunlight warrior off. The first sunlight warrior makes a dash for the red phantom, and I make a dash for the host. I make it in, knock him off his perch, and manage to land a falling blow, so I'm thinking, poo poo, I'm gonna end this right here. And the second mad spirit instead moves in and begins poking at me with my rapier. I keep going for the host but I realize this nerd'll chip me to death if I ignore him, so I'm forced to acknowledge him and fight him. I manage to land a few hits but he's chugging estus. I'm thinking, like, "Shoulda let him keep fighting that sunlight warrior, poo poo." After I manage to land a few good hits and I acknowledge a Blue Phantom has arrived! notification, he goes full roll warrior on me and I never manage to land another hit and he chips me down. As I'm slain and collapse to the ground, I catch the host dying to the red spirit in the background. It all went better than expected. :unsmith:

Also, people are already getting pretty twinked or just staying underleveled, intentionally. PVPing in the undead settlement and I saw no less than 4 people with the catacombs invis roll ring. Impressive.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

plape tickler posted:

I just beat Yhorm the Giant and I have no idea where to go next. Help.

edit - looks like it's Pontiff Sulyvahn but I haven't been able to get into the church.

Head back to the mansion that leads to the dungeon, and look for the sewer entrance. If you're finding dung pies and eventually silver knights you're on the right track.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What do you guys think of the world in DS3?

12 hours in and no signs of DkS1-esque looping and intertwined zones. It feels all too linear with the occasional branch that goes off into a dead-end. Don't get me wrong - great game, but it's a long A to B path instead of the tangled world of DS1 and flower design of DS2. It's the least well-made game world of the series in my personal view. The world is a step down from the prequel.

It's a bit linear but there's some branches. At one point I had my choice of three boss fights to do because I had reached a fog gate and went elsewhere to explore.

It means that there's a logical progression of enemy difficulty so the tuning feels tighter. I never had a DS2 moment of "time to go back and slay copse/wharf/etc now that I'm comically overgeared and overleveled"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

CabaretVoltaire posted:

What's the deal with parrying in this? I can parry no problem in DS1 and Bloodborne but am absolutely hopeless in DS3. I spent a bit of time practicing against the weak enemies at the start and get a partial parry maybe 50% of the time and a proper parry very rarely.

what are you parrying with

different weapons have different windows, I'll use the DS2 chart as an example since DS3 uses similar windows and DS1 had instant parries.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

dark souls 3 probably has the best world design in the series. i've been to every area and all of them were cool aesthetically and mechanically.

agree

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Dezztroy posted:

Farron Keep

is a good zone and much better at accomplishing what the swamp tried in DS1. I genuinely got lost more than once, but I think the zone has enough rhyme to it once you know it that I could sketch out a simple map from memory and not get lost there again.

it helps that poison feels like the weakest it's ever been, to boot.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

plape tickler posted:

Thanks. Unless there's a cheap gimmick, Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be my first npc summon. gently caress that guy.

The cheap gimmick is Be a Mage or Learn to Parry :v:

My friend spent like 4 hours on it with his dex build and was super excited to see me do it. I uh, two shot it with a pyromancer.

Your Computer posted:

After watching a bit of Lobos Jr's first playthrough I've come to the conclusion that From specifically designed DS3 to be an rear end in a top hat to people who play "traditionally" aka. carefully with a shield up.

He mostly just rushes in with his Broadsword and stunlocks everything and so far there are a bunch of nasty attacks and mechanics that he's never seen, both because he's killing the mobs fast and because the AI reacts differently. He breezed through the were-birds in seconds and none of the casters ever used their "shriek and enrage everything in a 100m radius" attack, nor did any of the birds attack him with the "you're dead"-flurry (because they were stunlocked the entire time mostly). Same goes for a bunch of enemies.

On my next playthrough, maybe I'll skip shields entirely. It really does seem like the AI is made to react and gently caress you up if you stay behind your shield.

This has always been true. Shields are for suckers, unless you're using it to parry.

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The lack of an interconnected world means there's no choice in where you want to go next. DS1 if you were good enough you could go to Londo Ruins or Catacombs from the start. Throughout the game, depending on your skill, you always had at least one other area you could do instead. DS2 and 3 doesn't have that.

If you're trying to argue that the interconnected world of DS1 was merely cosmetic, you are being incredibly disingenuous.

edit: also I'd like to raise another point that from Firelink in DS1 if you looked up you could see Sen's and Anor Londo, if you looked down you could see Blighttown and the chasm of drakes. Everywhere you looked you knew you would end up there at some point. Beyond being 'cosmetic' it was a huge aspect of the game that you could explore the world around you.

It seriously owns that you can make a new character and have a red eye orb in <1 hour.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

i think other people do a lot more coop and level a lot more than me, I'd just rather blow a bunch of souls on throwing knives and RP a ninja when I invade people.

edit: wow you said you guys were around 45 after the watchers? no wonder I feel like everyone I invade is loads stronger than me -- they are.

There is a matchmaking range for invaders, I believe it's +10 levels higher than you or -20 levels lower. Weapon buffs are a +/- 3 range as well, I think?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

That lovely Smouldering Lake area has all of the game's worst enemies in it and old DK has some hosed up hitboxes

It's pretty appropriate considering what the area is; I was joking to a friend that the worst area from DS1 managed to meet its match in Even Worse Enemies, since there's a buncha capra and asylum demon corpses littering what used to be Izalith. Of course, that partly comes down to me being a Pyromancer and having no good way to fight them except puking boulders and a raw weapon at the time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I can understand what they're going for with Yhorm the Giant but man oh man, gently caress gimmick fights. That wasn't challenging just tedious.

:agreed:

I think the worst part is that if it's your third cinder lord soul, it teleports you to the lady who's all "yo put this thing on the thing and let's go to the castle!" and then starts a boss fight... which can be kinda frustrating if you were planning to spend some souls or, you know, unequip your gimmick weapon. :mad:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

yeah but since almost everyone where im at is higher than 30, im only getting those people

drat hoss, you gotta spend some souls. I rushed a knight through to tree guy to invade people and I think he's 33.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiB_Sqf17vY

:stare:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Can you buy or farm all the different upgrade materials later on? I like too many weapons, I dont wanna find something new and not have enough special titanite left in the world to upgrade it.

Yes

By the time you start finding the next upgrade tier, enemies will start dropping the last tier en masse. Now that I'm finding chunks, every enemy drops large titanite and I'm up to my ears in it. I have like 60 of the regular titanite shards alone.

kikkelivelho posted:

The biggest bummer for me right now is how linear progression seems to be. I loved jumping between different paths in DS2 and so far I'm not really seeing any meaningful branches in DS3. If you hit a tough wall you usually just have to beat your head against it till you come out on top since there's rarely alternative ways to make progress.

Also how the gently caress am I supposed to choose between the Farron and wolf greatswords? They both have such awesome movesets.

Roads of Sacrifice is the first split, with several more after that. Notable ones off the top of my head,

Farron Keep and onwards or Cathedral of the Deep
Irithyl or Smouldering Lake
Irithyl city proper or Irithyl Dungeon
Untended Garden and Lothric Castle

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Would you guys be interested in some pvp videos? Thinking of recording some of my invasions cause I am doing well

Hell yes

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think the DS3 wiki is probably useable at this point, but this older list is still the most concise one I've seen for people who want to know where to find all the shop items

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4crk2p/coals_tomes_scrolls_scriptures_ashes_heavy/

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

why are the stairs on this side? anyone attacking your castle can now walk up the stairs and kill men in your gatehouse

immersion ruined, steam refund filed

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I dunno about GS, but UGS feels just fine.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

b0red posted:

So has a pvp place been established yet? Like the bridge?

Probably Undead Settlement, which also has a bridge conveniently located near it. Seems to be the place I've seen the most fight clubs and clusterfucks.

Higher level, my guess would be Anor Londo...?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

6 points in int worth it for a str build, to grab greater magic weapon? it seems to add a 'measly' ~50 damage, but hey free damage is damage and covering my bases against some physical immune or enemy I can't quite three shot is nice, without needing to bother using consumable pines.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

man every single invasion has been 3v1 lately and it's not the kind of 3v1 where they chase me to the mobs and i can divide them, it's the 3v1 where they just stand at the bonfire spamming emotes until i run in and die or black crystal out

when this happens I normally just go sit down and rest emote and initiate shitposting, like right now

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Just use resins.

fair enough, I'll probably just fully commit to str build and grab a bow when I hit rosaria's

GreyPowerVan posted:

that's what i did on my quality build. using a +4 refined broadsword and throwing greater magic weapon on it for pve.

for pvp im testing a bunch of different weapons, spin2win bleed swords is pretty fun for now

I was digging zweihander and having an easy time catching people with the knockup, but then I tried the spiked mace that witches have and :eyepop: that skill moveset is loving BALLER. It chains really well into R2 crushes, as well. it's so speedy and has so much tracking that it almost feels like it's cheating to overcome the usual slowness of Great* movesets.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

How does Carthus Flame Arc (Flame Weapon) compare to Charcoal Pine Resin, assuming I'm not going to go full pyro and just get like 12/12 or 15/15?

I can't cite numbers, but as an actual dedicated pyro at 30/30, it was making my melee hits match up if not overcoming my spell damage, with the obvious caveat that I wasn't being locked into slow animations. At the same time, you get chaos fireball shortly after and the non spell game is over.

e: cursory search seems to imply that it scales with pyro flame upgrades and clutch rings at the least. usable at 10/10, so try it and report back? it has some sort of scaling at the very least, unlike magic weapon.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm really considering starting up a dedicated pyro just because pyromancies are so drat fun.

What weapon are you using? Getting the stats for the weapon I'd love to Chaos-infuse (Carthus Curved Greatsword, go full Carthus) is going to prevent me from either having decent HP or reaching 30/30, but it would sure be a good time.

I'm full 30/30 and mostly relying on spells (chaos fireball op) but I do have a Dark infused Lothric Knight Sword, and a Chaos infused Uchigatana since they have similar dex/str requirements that are fairly low. Shout out to Lothric Knight Sword: it's one of my favorite straight sword movesets since it has a strong rapier stab on R2 that tracks, and it has dex requirements, handy if you want to boost your cast speed.

I would try sticking with low int/fth and using carthus flame; if it sucks you get plenty of respecs at Rosaria's, lord knows I've burned through plenty on my pyro trying out various hybrid builds, but never one that focused on low int/fth.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

One build I want to try out will have 18 Strength, 40 Dexterity, and 25/25 Int/Faith. It's not perfect for pyromancy, but with the three rings I have to imagine it'll be really strong still, and I'll have great scaling stats for a normal/sharp weapon and also be able to buff it.

On the down side, this build would only have 18 Attunement and 30/30 Vigor/Endurance, which seems low on both, so if it falls down anywhere that'll be where.

At low Int/Faith I'm mostly curious if Carthus Flame Arc outdamages a Charcoal Pine Resin or not. I'm sure it does at high Int/Faith.

18 is actually the sweet spot, imo. 150 is enough for 6x casts of chaos fireball, and 3 spell slots. 24? is when you hit 4 slots, and then you get less and less returns after that.

I think that might be a bit hopeful on the int/faith and dex values, though. soul levels at 70+ start to get really scarce. Should be fine if that's your intent for absolute end game/NG+, though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

In general, hybrid builds seem a lot weaker than DS2

1 - increased scaling on spells means you're getting less returns for not fully devoting to a caster build
2 - it feels like there's less soul levels in a full playthrough of DS3
3 - and most importantly, no HP gained from primary stats means you end up really squishy, instead of "kinda squishy but with enough HP from your mixed of str/dex/int/fth" to make a difference.

Harrow posted:

Oh yes, I'm 100% thinking NG+/SL 125 PvP for this. Should've clarified. I'm not sure yet if I want to respec my current character to pyro heading into NG+ or start a new pyromancer when I finish my first NG. My priorities will be getting enough Str/Dex to wield a good raw weapon, then focusing on Int/Faith and Attunement until I have them where I want them to be, then back to the Dex (with Vigor/Endurance sprinkled in). Raw weapons seem strong enough, with buff spells, to get you through a good part of the game, which is nice.

Oh, word, then yeah that all looks good to me. Plenty of int/faith to make pyros really hurt when you need to tag a fleeing target, but with the focus on dex to still be a melee build and with the strongest melee buff magic.

And yeah, shout outs to raw astoria sword for carrying me through cathedral, farron keep, and catacombs. Dunno how I would've managed without them. :v:

Minera fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 14, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Good rolls require 50% or lower

All sub 70% rolls should be the same, in terms of iframes. The only distance is how -far- you roll, which can matter for avoiding some aoe attacks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

lol i've been playing through the game with base vig/vit/end

glass cannon is the only way to play yall

I think, uh, I was one or two zones ahead of you where I gave up on this mentality and put ~a few~ points into vigor. I got one shot during an invasion by another pyromancer and went, okay yeah time to get some HP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, I love that multiplayer lists character names instead of usernames

Helped a dude yesterday named Dank Souls 420

My first invasion was, of course, by Hugh A. Nuss