Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

darksouls3spoilertags.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

replaying the game before I play both the DLCs, doing Ancient Wyvern and it gets stuck and it can't path to where you plunging attack it. I run through the gauntlet again to try and reset it so it will path correctly, and then it suddenly died when I was half way back up the tower. I think it walked off the cliff and died. :nallears:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

First time invading since DS3 launch, in the DLC areas, and god drat I have killed like two dozen phantoms in a dozen invasions and maybe like two hosts. :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

They use a special version of it where they tuck into their shell and spin at you like a top. Its hilarious. Those guys are tied with the locust for my favorite enemies in this DLC.

Blighttown. The giant tree roots and swamp are supposed to be from the bottom of it.

Another thing that makes this idea fall flat is they didn't even bring anything memorable from those areas. There were no toxic snipers or giants tossing boulders at me. And while getting instagibbed by forbidden sun is certainly a painful Earthen Peak memory for me, they could of done more. Like had manikkins rise out of the ashes and swamp as you run past. The only other enemy they brought back are those dumb ants which were conveniently already in the game.

Don't forget Firelink Shrine http://imgur.com/a/k1NDn

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Invading in the swamp area of Dregs is loving amazing

I'm using Millwood Greatbow and half the time the invasion spawns me on the root in the swamp: just head to the top, past the pyromancer, and you can rain exploding arrow death on people trying to hide from angels in literally the entire zone, nothing can escape your wrath. :getin:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

DS2 would be so much better if the soul level concept wasnt such a botched disaster. Like it's not even a big deal but it's so loving annoying psychologically (even if it's not a big deal) to pvp if you gently caress up and lose 50k souls somewhere.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Sum Gai posted:

So how are you supposed to deal with the Demon Prince's meteor swarm, anyway? At SL 84 and 27 Vigor everything else he did was easy to deal with, but that was always a oneshot. I 've beaten him but it really felt like I got lucky- I hit him a bunch as he was doing the summon and he only called in 4.

Attack him. It interrupts the cast and the meteors just go limp and fall on the ground near him instead of heat seeking you to death.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

What level are people getting lots of summons for the spears? I'm at 80 and thought that was an ideal PvP level but its going pretty slowly.

Then again I see the 3 embers symbol at the bonfire so maybe its less being in a bad level range and more "everyone else is trying to get summoned too".

You're probably just too low. I was having difficulty with the inner ringed city and said gently caress it and bumped myself up 10 levels for some extra vigor, to go up from 900 hp, and I have zero wait time on summons/invasions/being invaded at SL 105.

Oh and for real gently caress the Inner Ringed City. Was having so much difficulty until I said gently caress it and very, painfully slowly and methodically went through the area and abused my greatbow a shitload. I really wish there was a shortcut in there, once I said gently caress it and ran for the bonfire in the swamp and cleared backwards it was much easier going.

Minera fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 29, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Hahaha, the optional boss owns and I feel bad for anyone who hasn't played Monster Hunter, because that is the most Monster Hunter fight of all time and being patient and pretending it's a Tigrex makes for an easy hunt boss fight. :getin:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Am I the only one who​ is still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this DLC? I'm half expecting there to be some ridiculously obscure sidequest or a super hidden area that opens up into a final boss fight. Or maybe another bonfire hidden somewhere that leads into a previously inaccessible part of the Ringed City? Or maybe an additional bit of content still left to be released that they're going to patch in a month from now?

I'm fully aware that this may just be full-blown denial that the series could really, truly be over, but the way that handing off the Dark Soul to an NPC just resulting in a couple throwaway lines of dialogue and that's it seems... off. It feels like there's something left to find.

the ending of the dark souls series is you defeating the Soul of Cinder and choosing to reset this twisted game or else snuffing out fire for good

The DLC isn't meant to be an ending, more of a send off.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like the humanity puzzle would make so much more sense if the young white branches were closer nearby and the humanity illusion could work inside the building

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

WHEN YOU COME TO IT
AND YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH IT
AND YOU CAN'T KNOCK IT DOWN
YOU KNOW THAT YOU FOUND

THE WALL

the roll/l1 on that weapon is so busted lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I know it's hilarious in PvP but how viable is it in PvE?

It's... okay? It really lacks burst or consistent damage and in PvE you're usually better off just stunlocking something to death or chopping its head off in one or two blows.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

A guy invaded and he turned completely invisible. Which is a shame because we were both fighting using the door greatshields and then I started wildly flailing everywhere until he got bored and left. :iiam:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm waiting hours between Spear summons now. For when this covenant is gonna be most active this is pretty disappointing.

You can always reset the boss and do that but yeah... it's not quite as fun as being the boss. :(

Speaking of which, doing that seems to make you eligible for invasions in the Ringed City area again, sorta like popping an ascetic in DS2. Which means this place will probably become the de facto zone for invasions and invasion gank squads, I guess?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think you have to join the covenant?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Elman posted:

This has been my PVP experience so far:

https://gfycat.com/ColorlessWearyEuropeanpolecat

You can wear heavier armor to go beast mode, and if you REALLY want to be an annoying prick and win at all costs, just run away forever and spam the spear when it's up and win the attrition battle by poking them with the free soul mass until they run out of estus. Also try to be really cautious about engaging until the painted guardian is up to boost your chances when you're out numbered, they make a big difference since they're fairly tanky, fast, and heal both of you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

brightstone cove was one of the few general areas i actually liked in ds2, but mostly because it made me think that it was something that would have been in demons souls

which doesn't say too much about the game it's in, but, hey

if dark souls 2 could have been labeled "demon's souls 2" and then there were only 2 dark souls games, people would be a lot happier instead of all the confused expectations imo

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I'd feel bad about using the ringed knight armor, since literally everyone uses it, but gently caress it just looks so drat good

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah i haven't played it yet, it certainly seems to hit the subjective difficulty spikes pretty hard. Although unlike DS it has difficulty modes, i've heard.

And yeah, this DLC definitely harks back to a lot of previous patterns, obviously in a knowing wink and nod way. The dragon that breathes fire on a bridge in a trivially predictable pattern is basically required by law now, as is Patches kicking you down a hole, the callback to DS1's Great Hollow entry with the triple illusionary wall, that area that basically feels like a section straight up from the DS1 catacombs, the straight up DeS Old Monk boss fight. Probably way more than i'm forgetting or missing now. Even both Midir and Gael seem to encapsulate my favorite parts of their true-and-tried boss archetypes.

All cool and good and a great note to go out on.

I thought the first boss felt like a reverse spin on the old gargoyle fight; at this point fighting two mobs is old hat, in stark contrast to the "I HAVE TO KILL TWO OF THEM?" when you first face Gargoyles in DS1. So then of course the boss's "real" form is the "fair" 1 on 1 fight :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

is it ever explained why portions of earthen peak are included in the dreg heap or is it just the case that the devs heard every lore nerd bitching about how DS2 is the unloved step-child and not a canon game and so they just stuck some token DS2 stuff to shut them up? because other than titty armor, i couldn't find any other explanation for why it was included.

Dreg Heap is made up of Lothric Castle, Earthen Peak, and Firelink Shrine (look around the demon boss fight area for the last one, you can even see Frampt's shrine)

I feel like they could've done more with Firelink Shrine or made it more obvious, and I hate that they used Earthen Peak and not a more memorable area like Lost Bastille, but I guess they didn't want two contrasting castle areas.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I was gonna co-op some spears and I got summoned, then the host summons two other sunbros and just had us fight invaders for a while then banished us. :iiam:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's baaaaaaack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/opensouls3/comments/63er07/boss_invasion_glitch_still_exist/

Did anyone ever figure out why these bizarre steps work? Sounds fake when you first hear about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWSvReNcRM

quality pvp vid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

The more I read this thread the more I am convinced some people just don't actually like Dark Souls but for some reason think that they do.

it's a long series and the games are pretty different at this point: go play ds3 for an hour and immediately boot up ds1 and ds2 after, even if you've played them recently. the games are v different. and let's not even start on demon's souls or bloodborne...