Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Please don't play Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dominic you rat! How could you give your brother the old spicy controller?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I am excited to play the videogame Dark Souls 3.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So does the Watchdog Covenant just straight up not work or what?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can you buy or farm all the different upgrade materials later on? I like too many weapons, I dont wanna find something new and not have enough special titanite left in the world to upgrade it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe the patch will make it so Greatswords do more damage than Straight Swords.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's cool when you throw caution to the wind and go wild with your attacks on a boss since you figure you aren't going to master the dodge timing this attempt and you realise they have almost zero poise. :getin:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I looked online to see if there was a secret to getting summoned for Darkmoon stuff. Apparently it has a rivalry with the Aldrich Faithful and gets prioritised to those but of course it needs the player you are saving to be in the Way of the Blue which nobody ever is at that stage of the game. Why not just automatically counter-invade the Aldrich guys?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Stuff like that Thor guy are cool because even if you get instantly chumped like that dude you just laugh and go back to playing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Here's my Dark Souls theory: Solaire is real and strong and he's my friend.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

He's both.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

don't give up, skeleton

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like that the Curse Rotted Greatwood's lore is that everyone in the Undead Settlement basically just chucked all their cursed items inside this big tree to get rid of it all, literally the same way Mr Burns got rid of nuclear waste in that one episode of the Simpsons.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Actually its got one attack that uses FP and one that uses durability. Its not a big deal though unless you are going crazy with it in general exploration and going a long way between bonfires. Should have no issues with it for bosses or PvP.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I am pretty sure that for the overwhelming majority of the time you can do well with any weapon so just go with what seems more fun to you. Going with the most optimally efficient weapon of each type will only let you kill a boss or player with one or two less swings as long as you got the right stats and they are both upgraded to the same level. Getting your own skills up with dodging/blocking attacks and learning how the game works is going to be the most effective thing anyway. So just have fun and keep trying.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Choose something cool! The fat ladies in Undead Settlement drop a big spiky mace, that could be a fun weapon.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You can get the Moonlight Greatsword pretty early if you are willing to exploit bugs. If you want to rely on your own personal skill then its a bitch.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao just as I looted my 29th Proof of a Concord Kept (and had just gone ahead and levelled up to 125 with all the souls I'd gotten after giving up on staying at a reasonable level) I actually got summoned to defend a world and got like 4 of them at once. Thanks Dark Souls. Thark Souls.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I got an urge to go back and do a Dark Souls 1 run just now and drat that game is rough now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I liked the Fallen Knight set on my first dude because it fit my *~character theme~* but its definitely the Drangleic Armor of this game, its nice to have a helpful indicator of which summons will instantly die to a boss.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So I fought Nameless King just now on my Solaire build. Phase One was over in about 45 seconds so that was pretty great. The second phase took a minute or two, though he was still a cool and fun fight. I'm glad I fought him solo this time. Did the Tarkus gesture irl.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I wanted to use a fist weapon in my offhand for parrying but then I saw that the fist weapon for the other hand shows up on your character model's belt which ruins my Fashion Souls so its back to rolling around like an idiot for me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dark Souls 2 is cool because if you go Deprived (the best class) your starting weapon would almost always break between bonfires and the only weapons you could really equip with your stats were copies of the same piece of poo poo broken sword haha.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, this is bullshit. I killed patches because I don't like being trapped in a tower, and I got tired of his bullshit. This means he does not have to gently caress me over in the Cathedral or gently caress over Siegward. As a result, I skip straight to finding him on Irithyll right? Okay, so I look up on how to free him after that, and he thanks me and all, and I'm all set to fight Yhorm so i can get his armor right?

loving wrong. I missed the step on recovering his armor and saving him in the cathedral, sssooo he never shows up in Yhorm. The gently caress is this man?

I always love when goons get upset and murder NPCs in games like they are Judge Dredd or something then get mad at the game because there was a consequence to that action.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A cool strat for Pontiff is stand there like an idiot and get hit by the phantom every time. The phantom does a much smaller amount of damage compared to the main attack and the invulnerability from being knocked down will prevent the actually threatening attack from hitting you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rings I don't care about but why doesn't the big dumb wizard hat give the same or more magic power as the Dusk Crown?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I enjoy playing this game in PvE and PvP, hosed up but true.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hodrick fight is so good because you are thinking this is going to be so easy with two people to kill some scrub and then he immediately parries and ripostes you for a one hit kill.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm just imagining Japanese executives sitting around a conference table and cackling about how they purposely misled players about Poise to achieve their nefarious purposes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

- Solaire of Astora

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wasn't it also you didn't need just 500 wins but 500 more wins than defeats?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ivory King was cool but it was also really poo poo because if you are doing co-op and more than one person attacked the same minion then your weapon durability starts plummeting.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The optional boss was giving me a real hard time but someone gave me a tip to use Pestilent Mercury, I'm a Pyro not a wizard but I had the 30 Int required. I didn't have any upgraded staves or whatever but it was just chewing through that dudes health bar and you can keep him on top of it for a while if you are lucky. Definitely would recommend.

Now I'm doing the Covenant stuff and its the most rude thing ever, I feel very bad for these dudes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Mercury doesn't scale with anything, if you can cast it, that's what you're getting.

Still, I'm having a lot of trouble dodging Midir enough to pull of casts, but he wouldn't be the first Dark Souls dragon I've given up on.

If you stay just in front of his face then he'll almost always do his double swipe then breath combo which is fairly easy to dodge if you keep moving forward. After all that you can just run back around and start it all again.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Vow of Silence works on Aldrich btw, its very funny.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Me playing Dark Souls as a phantom

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe I'm dumb but I didn't expect the DLC to explain everything, like a bunch of weird poo poo happening for no clear reason seems like the perfect ending to the series to me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

CURSE-ROTTED GREATWOOD
Ever since its establishment, all manner of curses have managed to seep into the Undead Settlement. The worst of them were sealed away inside a spirit tree, but eventually the curses took their toll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think that was one of the weird translation things, doesn't the Japanese version straight up just say it?