Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Phuzun posted:

So Steam says the dlc is unlocking this afternoon. I've been avoiding spoilers, though it'd be helpful to know where the entrance is. Kind of concerned my latest character that just beat Dancer, won't be able to get in. I've cleared the first dlc with that one though. I've seen it mentioned that you can get their from the first dlc (which would be good) or the kiln at the end (which is why I hope for 2 ports).

Oh word. I'm hoping for option 1 too because I have a pvp guy I keep around sl60 for Aldrich stuff and he was able to beat the dlc but I don't want to use him to go kill the rest of the ember Lords, he still likes being invaded in some areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've got a request to help complete my cosplay. Does anyone have a spare dragonslayer greatsheild or can make one to give to me? I'll help you with a boss or something.

This is on ps4.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 29, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lore reason for that one room with the titanite demon in it, please.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

New Concept Hole posted:

Which one

Maybe all the bad ideas were in the Northern Limit

Anor londo. We already know the other is because he's the blacksmiths pet.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

All of the dark souls games seem to have sketchy development. Demon's souls has the sixth archstone (with unused area and enemy data!), dark souls 2 feels like individual areas were designed then linked together later, and dark souls 3 was possibly going to have a bonfire creation mechanic but may have been scrapped and created odd bonfire choices, like crucifixion woods, and dragonslayer to archives bonfire.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The whole lighting mechanic was supposed to be bigger than it is now.

Aside from bloodborne which feels like the most cohesive, all of the souls games seem to have aimed too high and ultimately have things cut. They're still complete games, but when you look at it, you see rough edges where things were cut.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Augus posted:

Looking back at the reveal gameplay they had it's pretty obvious that with DS2 they tried to give the game top of the line graphics and ended up overextending themselves, burning through their budget and creating a gorgeous game that couldn't run properly on consoles and leaving a lot of areas unfinished and needing to be slapped together at the last minute. You can even see that chunks of level design were cut out of the Forest of Giants.

I really like this sort of discussion from a development standpoint. What in specific were you referring to in how chunks of level design cut out of forest of Giants?

Internet Kraken posted:

Bloodborne has a lot of holes too. The entire PvP mechanic was slapped on at the last moment and the Chalice Dungeons ended up being a pretty poorly executed idea.

Its almost like none of these games are perfect, just really good.

Like you say, it's more like they finished the rest of the game and decided to try their hand at the covenants. And to be fair, any other souls game covenants are only just slightly more fleshed out. The rest of the souls games seem to have ideas from the beginning that's ultimately scaled back.

Bloodborne's pvp was hurt by the design of having to be ringing your bell in order to be invaded plus the idea of bell maidens. I'm not trying to claim bloodborne was perfect but it has less rough edges.

And let's be honest, for a mechanic that really wasn't that core to the game, the chalice dungeons is a solid piece of work. It's just underwhelming for rewards unless you go to depth 5. But it has a serviceable amount of content.

I'm not trying to criticize the series. They're some of the best games ever. But we should realize where they had stumbling blocks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think all of the souls games have had really fun pvp but I'll freely admit I've put the least amount of time into the bloodborne pvp.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Do you not have ps+ and therefore cloud saves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The archives mandatory death is funny in retrospect. I like to think seathe knew you were essentially an immortal undead, who will keep coming back from the nearest bonfire. So he set up a trap to have you respawn at a bonfire inside a jail cell.

His only flaw was hiring lazy serpent people.