Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Manatee Cannon posted:

there won't be a dark souls 4

It would look like this

The flame essentially can't be maintained any further after 3, no matter who lights it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Defiant Sally posted:

Just finished the game and got the default ending (since I went in completely blind). I sure did enjoy that 10 second cut scene. Glad this dumb series is over for good.

Every single Souls game has really short endings, the point of these games is that the story has already ended and you are simply wading through the aftermath.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's been covered many pages ago, but archdragon peak shows that a colorful Souls game would work. That blue sky was a breath of fresh air after dozens of hours of grim-dark dungeon trawls.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish there was a gesture for communicating general confusion because I'd use that a lot.

Collapse

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

pigdog posted:

Sorry if this is a common question - trying not to read the thread too much to avoid spoilers. How is the PC port these days? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the game for PC or PS4, and seem to remember people not being too impressed with the PC version.

PC port is as good as it gets and runs well, the only issue as always are the few players who use cheat engine.
PS4/Xone are laggy messes with choppy framerates but no cheaters.
Choose your poison.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nice Silent Hill reference

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Even though I got DS3 on launch day, I only just got around to the expansions recently. Good god that Filianore cutscene. Re-igniting the first flame just feels like an abomination we should've truly left alone from the start

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The general theory goes that DS2 had the global illumination lighting engine in place that was shown in its gameplay reveal trailer, but it was incredibly taxing on 360/PS3 hardware, and they had to go back to static lighting again which completely killed the atmosphere.

The most obvious legacy of this are the braziers (which you can still light with a torch) which are everywhere in the game despite being totally useless - much of the world was originally intended to be shrouded in near-complete darkness.

It's said that the game was probably originally set during the age of dark, unlike 1 & 3 - but they simply couldn't pull it off.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sum Gai posted:

Really the frustration isn't that they figured out the lighting system wouldn't work, it's that they should've figured it out much, much sooner.

That's a pretty great point actually. They certainly weren't able to get some of the areas just right in time. Aldia's Keep looks incredibly flat for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59eLW1IGUCU