Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Just a few hours to see if my 660 TI is up to the challenge. I don't need to have super fancy graphics to be happy. If I have to buckle and build a new comp or upgrade my GPU to play this and wait another week I will go hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

A 960 or even maybe a 950 wouldn't cost a whole lot and add a lot of "power" to your system.

Yea I'm waiting to see how this goes. I'm really reigning in my gaming spending (will be living on one income in the near future). DS3 is the only game i'm interested in this year so if the 660 works I'll hold out for new cards and see what the market looks like later.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to play all day, so it's probably no more lame than that.

(Incidentally I'm also legitimately sick today but I couldn't force myself to take two days off in a row when one of them is for a relatively frivolous reason, so here I am at work coughing my lungs out onto my keyboard.)

You're setting the stage for tomorrow when you "get worse." Good work coming to work sick and coughing, it's the True American Way!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah, come on, I thought this was just what everyone did

Yep. Gotta be the tough guy who brings down the entire office.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What does chaos add to a weapon and what does it scale with in DS3? I'm probably going pyro in t minus SEVEN HOURS.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I am psyched up to be a pyromancer! I started my time with this series as a a pyro so I may as well conclude it as a pyro. Raw and chaos weapons and fireballs are in my very near future.

Here's hoping the afternoon at work goes by quickly for us all!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Calaveron posted:

So how is this game different from previous souls games

Dark Souls 3 is a third person cover shooter with a randomized loot mechanic. From Software is giving the people what they want.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It sounds like it's going to be tricky to use big weapons and give int/faith the respect they deserve to throw worthwhile fire spells.

I want to use fire and I want to use big strength weapons too! The decisions I have to make are too hard! AAAAAH!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Who else is going to fall for Patches' trap intentionally just to see everything this game has?

A follow up: who else will get angry when they die in Patches' trap knowing they intentionally walked into it?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Smoremaster posted:

do we know if this is more a sequel to DS1 or DS2? I played the hell out of DS1 but I never finished DS2. two seemed sort of disconnected from the first. will this be its own thing or refer back to the sequels? also I really hope my 660 ti can handle this game

Sup 660 TI buddy. Your concern is my concern let's hope our cards continue to hold their own in a few hours! :highfive:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Been looking at a giant DS3 in my planner for a few months. Can't believe it's here. Like Christmas in April. Also I'm super excited that my new job doesn't have me doing ridiculous amounts of field work the week of a major videogame release. What a time to be alive.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My download is 50% complete. :dealwithit:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I crashed when I walked near to the first bonfire. The real dark souls begins here.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
660 TI and seeing bon fires crash me. There's like a 20% chance of a crash.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I cannot get past the first Bon fire in Lothric. Game crashes down the only path I can take. C'mon and patch this game goddamnit.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Setting light effects to low and switching from pyromancer to knight seems to have eliminated all my crashing. What a weird game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dark Souls 1 was my first souls game. I spent nearly a weekend fighting through the Undeadburg and getting stonewalled by the black knight.

I then breezed through DS2 and then Demons.

I spent nearly two hours in Lothric and have been struggling to deal with the Knights that patrol around and I feel the same feelings I had in Undeadburg. Once the crashing stops (much better after setting lighting to low) this will probably be the only game I play for the rest of my life.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For the Knights patrolling Lothric I've found a simple kick to break their guard is all I need to start chopping away.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Will this run well enough with a gtx680? I've been hearing mixed reviews about the performance.

My 660TI works and the games beautiful. After I turned lighting to low in the settings stability improved greatly. It'll work but it'll probably crash. We're all holding out for a patch to fix the bullshit.

But buy the game and fall I love.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night setting SSAO and lighting to low and switching to knight fixed my problems. Today I can't get away from the high tower bon fire in Lothric.

Fix your loving game, From Software.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

You know what it is? The game loving RESETS THE LIGHTING TO MEDIUM. Or at least it does for me, every time I suddenly start crashing I check and it's back to loving medium.

My settings are unchanged. Literally nothing has changed but my game won't run anymore.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do I get any additional spell damage from upgrading the pyromancy flame?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Stokes posted:

I'm currently getting my dick kicked in by some frost beast underneath the Undead Settlement. If I've cleared out everywhere else in the area, is that the only path to go? Or am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure that's what you have to do now. I'm just finished that area tonight and am psyched to head into the third zone after work tomorrow. There's a trick to that icy beast fight I discovered while running away...

try elevator

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My buddy is giving this a shot as his first real attempt at a Souls game. He's hung up on Vordt and getting frustrated. I'm starting into the third zone and between SL + weapon upgrades in out if summoning range for him. Is that what the password system is intended for? Is there a way for me to plunk down my sign and have him summon me into his game? I really want to help him get into the game before he gets frustrated and gives up.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Just tell him to summon randoms. There should be tons of summoning signs...

I understand this but jolly cooperation with friends is better than randos...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm intending to use pyro to support big weapons and am prioritizing my melee stats before attunement, int, and fth. Does upgrading the pyro flame increase pyro spell damage? I'd like to squeeze as much damage out of those spells as I can before investing into stats to help the spells.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

queeb posted:

I think it just increases the scaling, so with higher stats they'll do more damage, but it doesnt add damage itself.

Aww bummer. I hoped it worked like DS1's flame. =/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

Wearing pyromancy-boosting rings like the Great Swamp Ring makes a huge difference, and they stack. Just one ring has so far been enough to keep Fire Orb useful through several areas.

Oh that's a good idea. I found a ring that boosts fire damage in the Settlement. I think there was a drawback to using it though, I'll have to check when I get home.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It lowers your defense. There's also a ring which boosts pyromancies with no drawbacks.

I think the no drawback ring is what the pyromancer starts with, correct? I have to track that down in game now!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm really enjoying this as my first Souls game (though im playing bloodborne also). Its familiar but has a lot of good differences from BB.

For DS veterans, whats your early opinion on it? Better/worse than 1 and 2?

I have lots of great memories of Dark Souls 1. Like spending an entire weekend struggling through the early zones and being lost, desperately searching for a Bon fire with a depleted estus flask. I loved exploring the world and finding shortcuts.

Dark Souls 2 was fun but nothing was memorable.

Dark Souls 3 has consumed nearly ten hours of my time in the first two zones. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore. The enemies are proving to be a challenge in the ways they were in DS1 (2 relied on big numbers for challenge). The early variety in weapons rules. The few boss fights have been solid. Assuming the game continues on this trend it will easily be my favorite souls game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

lets hang out posted:

You should talk to npcs

Yea. I learned about Aldrich from the sad knight in Firelink before I was done with the Undead Settlement.

Talk to everyone all the time. They're ready to tell you things!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dark Souls 3 dogs are easy peasy. They're not berserker unstoppable bastards like they are in 1. I get nervous every time I enter Lower Undeadburg.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying to help my buddy kill the Vordt. We're playing on Steam. He's level 13 and I'm level ~30, but if we set a password that shouldn't matter, correct? He can't see my sign anywhere that I drop it. Is there something we're missing or is it just lovely/buggy servers?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Glukeose posted:

He's embered, right? Sounds stupid but my buddy and I completely forgot that part.

Yep he's embered.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm in Farron Keep and I just opened the big door by extinguishing three flames throughout the swamp. Without spoiling anything am I far from the ability to respec? I've realized I'd much rather be using a long sword and focusing on pyromancy instead of a big weapons focus with a pyro support. At 22 str my longsword +3 is more useful and fun than my zweihander +3 :(.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

You're going in the wrong direction for the respec lady, she's in the Cathedral of the Deep, if you haven't found it, go back to the second Road of Sacrifices bonfire and explore the ruins to left of the swamp area.
Also she's pretty far in and it's a tough area.

I did find the Cathedral of the Deep, I'll change course and check that out!

Second question, what's the buff/debuff to the right of my increased stamina regen? http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/270589293977434432/4DDC804E1C6B6D65BFFC00584E171874C834522A/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Shows you have a Ring of Sacrifice equipped.
Unless there's something else that looks very similar.

I am not wearing a ring of sacrifice. I had that same symbol before I cured the dark sigil and thought it was related to that, but I have no hollowing going on now.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Exodee posted:

If it's not the Ring of Sacrifice, you probably have a multiplayer password enabled. The icon for that is based on the Engraved Ring from DS2, I believe.

That was it! No wonder I haven't been seeing signs this morning...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In the Cathedral I'm really confused. I am in the big watery area with two giants, both dead at this point. I raised two of the platforms and am struggling to find a lever for the third. I thought I only had two raised so I took the elevator up near the Deacons boss fight. To an area I visited earlier and wished I had raised the platformr, except now there was an onion knight there telling me about treasure on the other side of the raised bridge. I ran out and we all know what happens. The platforms lower and now I'm back to trying to raise all three. Am I overlooking the platform lever that Mr. Not-So-Onion-Knight was standing next to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The first lever is down on the ground level in the basin of clean water.
The second lever is up where Patches was hanging out, it's how he lowered you back down.
The third lever is In the far, far corner across the cathedral from the second giant (also on the ground level).

I'm so confused :(. I'm going to bed and I'll try this advice again tomorrow. I went to where I thought the second lever is but there's no lever. :(