Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else getting crazy amounts of screen tearing? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Welp, crashing at the first bonfire :( GTX 670

It crashed so badly I had to restart my computer. And I've been up for 20 hours now waiting for this game. gently caress :negative:

Couldn't even reset my computer, I had to pull out the loving power cable.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So the strategy for now is to roll a Knight and set Lighting to low, correct? :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Remember when they had that 'rear end hanging out' bug a few days ago?

I wonder if they put in some hasty fix that hosed everything up at bonfires. iirc the glitch happened when people squatted at the bonfire specifically.

Even approaching the bonfire crashes the game, I never even got close enough to sit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've no idea how to roll back my drivers, but I set lighting to low and had no crashes so far. Even sat at the (same) bonfire twice. Please be a working temporary fix :pray:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now that I (seemingly) fixed the crashing problem, on to the next big issue..

How do I make a female character who doesn't look like Vladimir Putin.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This combat is.. Very different from DS1/2. Do you get any iframes at all beside the roll? Enemies can hit you even when you're on the ground, meaning if you get pancaked you're probably dead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This game has

1) The story of Dark Souls

2) The UI and aesthetic of Demon's Souls

3) The engine and combat of Bloodborne

What hath science wrought?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Game good besides the overheating guys.

I'm worried about overheating too, for the first time since I got this computer. Both the GPU and CPU heat up so much I could probably cook a pizza inside of there :ohdear:

Not going to be able to afford upgrading anytime soon though, and I can't just not play Dark Souls III. If my PC melts through the floor, at least it did it while doing something good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aaand I'm back to crashing :( Got to the second bonfire in Lothric at least, here's hoping the game is patched soon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Lol @ pc mustard race suffering a ton of issues. Good choice of platform. :thumbsup:

Why are you being mean, I don't even own a PS4/Xbone so this is the only way I can play Souls games :(

Also

Your Computer posted:

Not going to be able to afford upgrading anytime soon though, and I can't just not play Dark Souls III. If my PC melts through the floor, at least it did it while doing something good.

I just remembered that I can actually afford it very soon, so my question to the thread is; Is a GTX 960 plenty enough? The 970 is way more expensive and honestly my 670 has been good enough for all other games so far.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I use a 950 and have had zero issues so far.

Wonderful! I'll never forget the day my grandma saved christmasmy videogame addiction. Thanks, grandma :3:

Assuming we'll get a patch in the next few days, I should be ready with a new graphics card and determination to play some god drat Darkborne Demon's Souls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Flame effects in general seem to be what's causing the crashes. Which is hilarious considering the themes of this game.

Bonfires, pyromancy and the fire breath from the dragon have all crashed my game horribly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I put all my settings on low and started a new character. Got to the second bonfire in Lothric and I've yet to die, did I git gud?

Gotta say it's no shame in putting this game on low. It's still a very pretty game :3: It helps that I haven't had a crash yet on this char either.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Anyone playing the Assassin or Herald? How are you finding them? Hybrids sound fun but I worry they may suffer from 'good at many great at none' kinda issues

Herald is great. It's got armor, some healing to top off your health, a 100 physical block shield and a spear which is probably the safest weapon considering how fast enemies are and how easy it is to stunlock them.

Question Time!

How far into the game does titanite shards become buyable? I want to try out all my new weapons but don't want to risk running out.

e: Also, is scaling completely different in this game? I noticed on my spear that I only ever got 1 damage from +dex or str and their scaling is not the same. In DS2 you could perhaps expect +2 for ever X dex etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always use the Claymore as my main weapon for new Souls game playthroughs and I'm very happy to see that it's just as kickass in this game :3: I still can't figure out how scaling works in this game though, both STR and DEX just seems to give +1 attack power regardless of what the scaling is on the weapon.

Also, since no one answered earlier; does anyone know at what point Titanite Shards become purchasable? I'm obviously upgrading my Claymore, but I'd love to also try out the Rapier and other cool stuff I come across.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad to see that the messaging system is already being used for butt jokes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

samu3lk posted:

Yo, I just got a Ring of Sacrifice. Is this thing like in Souls 2 and you can repair it if it gets busted? Also is it mega expensive to repair???

It's gone forever once it breaks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Leveling in this game is really really slow, even the couple of bosses I've fought have barely dropped any souls. It's especially noticeable when you come straight from DS2, since in that game you can be level 50 in under 2 hours, but I feel like it's even slower than DS1. I hope there's at least some kind of unlimited respec like in DS2 because the one thing I liked the least about DS1 is how you had to plan out your character ahead of time if you wanted to get all the stats you needed for a particular build. People like to say that stats don't matter much, but in my first playthrough of DS1 (my first Souls game) I had to start over from scratch at some point after the Lordvessel because my stats were so garbage I literally couldn't get further in the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost considering just staying at base stats for the Claymore and pump all my stat points into Luck because I want all the item drops ever. Easily the most exciting thing for me in all RPGs/games with loot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

also someone answer my question about patch 1.1

AFAIK it's just coming out "soon".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

If youll permit me to give you some advice, Luck isnt all that good for upping itemfind and probly not worth it if you're not utilizing luck scaling or bleed/poison damaage. There will be abundant means to increase itemfind later on to a much greater extent

Alright squid, you've convinced me for now. I suppose it would also have been a bad idea to purposefully gimp myself in a new and really hard game on my first character.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'm not a fan of, which I hoped they wouldn't do, is that the roll is the DS1 roll. You literally shoot off the ground like you're wearing rocket boots, and it totally breaks :qq:MY IMMERSION:qq:. Dark Souls 2's rolls felt much more realistic, like your character was actually affected by gravity. It's a minor nitpick, but with how you control the character's left and right arm with the bumpers and such really give the Souls games a sort of "simulator" feel, and stuff like anti-gravity leaps feels contrary to that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait, the one thing that I really dislike about this game is that they ruined the Binoculars. Why would you do that, From, you heartless jerks :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What is even going on with the Soul economy in this game? You get like 60 souls for killing even difficult enemies, and I'm usually walking around with <2000 souls yet a level up costs me over 6000 now and I've gone zombified which (if I'm thinking correctly) the Fire Keeper wants 24k for curing!? :psyduck: Even the bosses only give a paltry couple of thousand souls, I wouldn't get that amount even if I cleared three areas.

e: also, someone tell I'm missing something important because I just arrived at the poison swamp and it makes me walk really slowly + fat roll, poison me, and all the non-slug enemies kill me in one hit. Surely this isn't how you're intended to go through it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ulvirich posted:

In no particular order:

The ghrues the ashen grey satyr fucks, particularly the ones without any visible weapons will rock your poo poo ten ways from Sunday if they manage to land on you from their slam dunk attack. These particular ones are always by their lonesome as far as I can remember, if you have to go through poo poo water to avoid them, then do so; you'll save yourself a lot of effort. Deep murk is denoted by lily pads. You have to venture out into the deep murk at least once to douse one of the flames out there. Go slow, use a ranged weapon to pull poo poo to you one at a time, don't gently caress with the big dudes. If you have the 14 faith for it, you can use the weapon art on the lowest level prayer chime to do a heal over time that does slightly more healing than what the poison can take away for cheap FP cost - mind you need to have the chime out for the buff to stick to you.

Thanks for the advice.

Gotta say I'm pretty peeved at this hollowing business. I'm one of those Fashion Souls people and I literally spent over an hour in the character creator "knowing" you didn't hollow in this game, and this is not how I was planning on walking around:

I loving look like I belong in Winny Puhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dllo85ZSUk&t=8s

and I can't even pop a humanity/effigy. It's going to take a couple of hours of farming to be able to cure it, and that's not very Fun™ :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay now the fire keeper wants 50 loving THOUSAND souls to cure my zombification? Is this a joke? Even boss souls give like 2k souls in this game. I'm not sure I've even gotten 50k total on my playthrough.

Please tell me there's another way? Do I have to farm for the rest of the week if I want to cure it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

There's another way in the story

A way beside purging stones and curing it? How far into the game?

This is honestly putting a damper on my fun and if I can't do anything about it until the game is halfway completed or something I'm gonna be pretty sad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltron lion force posted:

If your issue is fashion, you can also buy the ring from the same lady that sells the purging stones that makes you look unhollow. That way you don't have to keep buying stones.

The hollowing doesn't really have any negative effects, so my issue is indeed purely fashion. It sucks having to take up a permanent ring slot though. 4500 for a stone is insane compared to the relative price and rarity of humanities and effigies :(

Etrips posted:

Uhh I just farmed like 8k souls in a couple runs farming the Lothric Knight at the Wall. 2x spear dudes, 1 archer, 3x red Lothric Knights, 1x blue Lothric Knight.

Even with the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring the blue guys only give like 240 Souls, which means a lot of farming. I got over a thousand from the blue one though , so perhaps I'll farm here after all. Considering how much every other enemy in the game drops, including far more dangerous enemies, I almost have to wonder if his drop is unintended. Perhaps someone put an extra "0" somewhere?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry abyss watchers, you're the newest worst Souls boss. You're absolute garbage and it's a shame you're not optional.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you're Insane.

Multi-mob boss fights are always the worst fights, and then they throw a really tough boss at you after that's done. I imagine he'd be loving awesome to fight alone, just cut out the first bullshit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on, I'm a Herald in a full set of heavy armor and a mimic just one-shot me. Not with a grab, but with a friggin kick. Are you supposed to only pump vigor in this game or something?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there any point to the cathedral rafters other than getting your poo poo rocked y/n?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is the Astora Greatsword bad and/or Refined scaling bad?

I have 21 in both STR and DEX, and my sword is +4 Refined but I just caught up on Lobos Jr's run and he's doing comparable damage with just a Broadsword and 28 STR, and as you can imagine that's quite a bit faster and uses way less stamina. :sigh:

e: It's a really bad idea but my first char has "of Astora" in their name so I figured I could use the sword for maxxxximum roleplaying.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just as you guys are talking about it, it seems I have an invader who's hiding. It's been close to 30 min now and I can't proceed because he's somewhere. Thanks, From.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltron lion force posted:

Lol what are you doing just get on with the level whats the worst that can happen, you die!?

I literally can't go anywhere because everything is walled off with fog walls and I can't sit at a bonfire/homeward bone. Guy obviously went AFK somewhere but the levels are huge so there's no chance I'm finding him. That's kinda why that stuff is a problem, not because I'm afraid of dying (what?)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Is the Astora Greatsword bad and/or Refined scaling bad?

I have 21 in both STR and DEX, and my sword is +4 Refined but I just caught up on Lobos Jr's run and he's doing comparable damage with just a Broadsword and 28 STR, and as you can imagine that's quite a bit faster and uses way less stamina. :sigh:

e: It's a really bad idea but my first char has "of Astora" in their name so I figured I could use the sword for maxxxximum roleplaying.

Anyone? :(

I hate how rare titanite is in this game, if the sword is indeed garbage then it's still the only +4 weapon available to me for a while since I've gotten all the Large Shards available in the areas I've been.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about this, too, because that weapon seems really good. I'm inclined to believe scary ghost dog's explanation, though, that making it refined and lowering its base damage is what caused it to be weaker.

It says the base damage and scaling damage on the infuse screen and by making it Refined the total amount is higher than un-infused.

While it's not nearly as cool, I switched to the Astora Straight Sword and now I'm absolutely wrecking everything. It poise breaks enemies more than the greatsword (what?!) to the point where I can stun lock most stuff to death. I did the Abyss Watchers on my first attempt after switching, the difference is staggering.

I'm wondering if the greatsword is just too slow/not staggering enough to be worth it. Maybe that's tied to its really low weight? Also wondering if DEX scaling is rear end in this game like DS2, which might be dragging down a quality build compared to a STR build.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, choosing a straight sword is hard.

The Astora Straight Sword would be an obvious choice because of ~RP~ but I just got a Darkwraith sword and a Lothric Knight sword. Both are longer, and I'm pretty sure the Darkwraith sword does more damage than the Astora. It also looks pretty anime, while the Lothric is like a prettier version of the Astora.

And the Astora has a FTH requirement?? I easily cover it (gotta have enough faith for Homeward) but still weird if it's worse than the other swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

rear end is best for buff builds due to its unusually high base damage. If you're going higher str/dex, either the Dark Sword or Lothric Knight Sword would be better. Dark Sword is one of the/the strongest straight sword in the game with higher stats, and it having the Stomp skill is pretty novel. LKS is best if you're going low str high dex due to its very good dex scaling. Poking attacks are nice and it has a slightly higher crit modifier than normal which is nice.

That's absolutely wonderful advice, thank you :3:

What's a buff build look like? I don't think I have access to any buffs other than Deep Protection at the moment, but I haven't bothered trying it out since in the previous games buffs lasted only for a few seconds at base stats.