Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Four hours to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's out!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

They should give us the small soapstone back, sometimes you just want to grab some help for a few mobs (or when you leave the sign, you just want to kill some monsters to get your cinder/estus back) being forced go the whole way until winning a boss fight sucks.

Being given a full restore of all your estus charges, etc. for being summoned and throwing yourself headfirst into a bunch of weak hollows was really boring an uninteresting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Where the hell do I get the soapstone to drop signs? I just killed the 2nd boss, the boreal dude and I'm about to go plant the banner and go the next zone but still couldn't find the soapstone.

The old lady merchant at Firelink.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Guillermus posted:

drat thanks. It's really overwhelming this game compared to 1 or 2 since it is heavy detailed like Bloodborne wich sadly I couldn't play as I don't own a PS4. Do you need to "use" illusory walls or just hit/roll like in DS1?

Hit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Good god how are you supposed to fight that thing on the bridge at the beginning of Ithryll of the Boreal Valley?

You are not ready, dude.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also, are there any other areas that have [spoiler]white trees that are protected by the giant bro? Also what's the story behind them? Were those trees saints at some point that got turned into trees or does the giant just really like them?

If you read the description of the branches that drop around them, there's three such trees and they're spawned from Dusk's old branch catalyst that you could get in Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss. They're a token of friendship to the giant.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Tall Goats are cool. I like their wierd, bushy heads and the way they stride towards you and then pounce way up in the air.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Smouldering Lake an endgame place or did I just miss it? I'm at the Grand Archives

It's an optional area.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I'm using the same equipment as in the beginning of the game (Knight armor + shield + longsword) but I'm all of a sudden over the weight limit (75.3%) and my rolls have become sluggish. Is there something I'm missing here?

Rings?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yes the area where they just stacked 12 of them right on top of each other walking in a line like they're trying to do a conga and said "yeah that'll be fine" is real good enemy placement man. Giving them a tracking grab attack that is guaranteed to kill you in 1 hit because of their health reduction is also great.

I killed that entire room with melee. It was incredibly easy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's the year of the straight sword, actually.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

fadam posted:

I think I hosed up. I died as I killed a boss, an important cutscene started playing, and now I don't know where to go.

Go back to Emma, in Lothric's High Wall, opposite Vordt's boss room.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Also, it seems kinda lovely to lock respeccing behind what appears to be an evil covenant that's mutually exclusive with another covenant

You can be in both.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

Love all the call backs in this game, not only to the other dark souls games, demons souls, blood bourne, etc., but also to the spin doctors.

Hahahahaha. Someone please change the boss music to this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

DS3 kinda peaks at Pontiff Sulyvahn and the rest is all downhill.

The hot takes are rolling in fast this time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Not too different from DS1 going downhill post Ornstein and Smough really.

I agree, that was also a stupid thing to think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mailer posted:

The secret formula: don't fight because the internet says he's invulnerable. This is a strat I came up with on my own please don't steal.

lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

What's everyone's fave katana, or which katana is pushing peoples poo poo in the most in PvP?

Bloodlust.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

the DS2 tree next to the Shrine seems kinda out of place. The DS2 references aren't really common unless my memory of DS2 has just faded completely. Forossa, the Drang Knight set, Wolnir, the giant tree, the blind lady merchant, and that's it? Just seems random that there's a single solitary dead-giant-tree just chillin there.

Karla and a whole bunch of other equipment that you can find throughout the game too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

karla's a reference to yuria the witch from demon's souls

Yes, but she's also one of the daughters of Manus.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Well finally finished the game and, in a way, I'm glad it's over. I'm glad it ended on a high note. The last two bosses are pretty good Dark Souls material. Methodical, learnable, not overly frantic, and very atmospheric. As a whole the game has a lot of things holding it back.

-Over reliance on late game bosses being able to 100-0 you with an ill timed hit from a combo even with solid Vigor investment gets tiresome. The boss design post-Pontiff is generally unsatisfying, in some cases Champion Gundyr feeling more like Bloodborne transplants ill suited to the tempo of Dark Souls. In other cases overly gimmicky as in Ancient Wyvern and Yhorm, and sometimes just plain tedious and unfun to deal with while posing little threat Aldrich.
-Loot distribution is bad. Real bad. The linearity of the game makes it genuinely feel difficult to make a character that feels genuinely different until half the game is already passed, because the equipment and spells are so limited so early on. Unless you are a Pyromancer. Extremely high up front investment to make spellcasting worth a drat doesn't help in that regard.
-Regarding the aforementioned linearity, that kind of thing just isn't what I play Dark Souls for. I like that in Dark Souls 1 and 2 you can approach the game world in a variety of different ways and priorities as befits the way you're trying to construct your character. Without that, I feel no pressing need to roll a second or third character whereas in DS1 and 2 that was literally the first thing I did after completing them.
-Multiplayer's kind of a train wreck. Covenants like the Blue Sentinels have not only not learned from the mistakes of previous implementations but have taken steps back. Estus is almost impossible to punish, turning fights into overdrawn out grinds that are neither fun nor rewarding.

It's a good game, but I feel no desire to have anything to do with it further in it's present state. Hopefully balance patches and DLC will help round out the experience. For now, Dark Souls 2 remains the most enjoyable of the lot to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Anri isn't dead, you can see them in the Usurper ending kneeling to you as you do your Lord walk

Uh, no you can't.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yes you can. Right hand side near the back, look up the video. I double checked after they posted and they're completely correct.

ENDING SPOILERS: Here is the clearest shot I could find online of the crowd before it begins to pan up. Which one of those figures do you think is Anri?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's from the exact video I watched. Pull it back a couple seconds and you can see one of the figures at back right wearing Elite Knight armor. It's rather distinct from Yuria and her fellow handmaiden

Seriously just punch Dark Souls 3 Usurp into Youtube you'll find it. Youtubes a bit unwieldly for me on mobile atm.

Edit: Although I take back that that's the EXACT same video. One I watched had a robed PC.

I just found the video you're talking about and it's different, there's straight up a different hollow in place of Anri in mine, I wonder what triggers that? Mine didn't have Anri in it, and neither does the one I screenshotted just there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's weird as hell. You can clearly see it here at 5:46 too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9v74CutD0NE

Yeah, here are the two screenshots I have; the wierdest thing is that the video where Anri is there, did everything exactly the same as me, yet my ending didn't show her there.

ENDING SPOILERS: http://imgur.com/a/6M3Y2

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Who would think to do that though unless they read about it in advance? it's ripe bullshit.

Who indeed would think to return to level up after acquiring a large amount of souls.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Oh give me a break. It shoots you right from one cutscene to the next and then to a boss. Something that has never happened in the series ever. There is no reason whatsoever to assume you have to homeward bone out of there within seconds. Don't act like a snob because you read about it before it happened.

It doesn't shoot you to a boss if you're smart and decide to prepare before progressing further. There's every reason to assume that after getting a new item that is going to lead to the next big challenge, that you should be prepared for it.

I didn't read about it before it happened, either, luckily, I defeated Dancer on my first try. Right snobbish of me, that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I think all I have left to do in the game now is beat the Nameless King

Is he the superboss I am expecting?

He's one of the more challenging bosses, yes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hamsterlady posted:

The boss in the Untended Graves is harder, I think.

Ultimately, it all depends on your build. I had a breeze with Champ Gundyr but definitely struggled the first few times I fought Nameless King/King of Storms.

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: yeah it was super intuitive.

I'm impressed by your e peen though brah.

It is. When you need to prepare or level up, you're meant to not proceed, and go back to a bonfire/Firelink/Majula. This isn't some super new twist on the formula, it's the basic ebb and flow of how Dark Souls' gameplay has always been structured, and the entire risk/reward proposition the game is founded on.

I'm really sorry that you're too stupid to have grasped it three (five, really) games deep and I apologize profusely for being better at this videogame, smarter and more handsome than you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

What are you even talking about with "being prepared" you loving idiot. You can't go back to a bonfire that's the whole point.

Yes, you can. You do not need to fight Dancer without first going back to a bonfire. Or are you terrified of talking to old, dying women?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm the best at Dark Souls.

You...monster!!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

You are the one that apparently homeward boned the second you saw her (don't worry it totally made sense to do that you didn't just read about it online) so who is the one scared of old ladies again?

I didn't do that. I already said I fought Dancer and beat her first try. I was nearly fully stocked on Estus, etc, so I felt comfortable moving forward.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I was scared of Old Ladies :ohdear:

They're terrifying, and powerful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Noice.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

The point is you get sent there right after beating a boss, and if you didn't know talking to her triggers another boss fight you get stuck fighting 2 bosses in a row. Good luck if you don't have any homeward bones on you, or even using it before the boss kills you. It doesn't help that the 2nd boss is quite tough.

Talking to her doesn't trigger a boss fight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Why was I able to invade the same gank squad 3 times in a row in the span of less than a minute? Does the dried finger let the same phantom do that?

Theoretically, yeah.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Seems like I've inadvertently screwed myself out of one NPC questline. I was just looking around in the Cathedral and stumbled upon a bonfire and Rosaria's covenant. I checked after joining and it seems like Sirris will be forever gone now. All she ever said was some cryptic sentences and not all like "Hey yo you better not join some covenant that I hate". I better not miss out on some good loot.

also re: Cathedral - I still have a few ways to the boss but I haven't seen Siegward in the well or Patches in the rafters either. Or are these events after the boss fight?

I don't know for sure, but R.E. your spoiler: some people have said that joining Rosaria's Fingers doesn't cause Sirris to hate you, but turning in a pale tongue to level up your covenant devotion, or use any of the services Rosaria offers does. You'll know if you go back to Firelink and talk to her and she tells you to gently caress off.

RatHat posted:

It just shouldn't happen in the first place. It's bad game design.

It's rather good design, I find.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I guess I will have to take another look, the reason I thought this was that when I ported to Firelink she wasn't standing in her usual spot near the bonfire and the Firekeeper. Maybe she's moved around. I did not do anything else than join the covenant.

She doesn't stick around in Firelink much. If you'd pissed her off, she should be sitting on the steps around the bonfire, and should tell you so when you talk to her. Otherwise, I think you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Also I was really sloppy with npcs, hosed up a lot of quests, and just didn't meet some of them so I'd just like a clarification:

Does this game have a Yurt like npc or no?

No, it does not.