Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Banemaster posted:

Second bell ringing cutscene literally showing the gate being opened helps too.

Ironically I feel like DS1 does fumble there slightly because while it flashes a neon sign saying GO TO SEN'S it totally glosses over Frampt existing. There's an alternate version of the cutscenes that actually fixes that - the bells wake Frampt, Frampt tells the giants to get off their asses - but for whatever reason they nixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm probably just being forgetful of how obvious he is. I guess now that I think about it, you'd have to really try to somehow walk up from the New Londo elevator and not have the camera pointed in the general direction of the giant serpent thing. Does he snore before you talk to him for the first time?

(I do still like the unused take for hammering home that the bells are basically just Frampt's alarm clock. :allears:)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh sure I knew about that, I meant once he's fully awake. I could've sworn he stays at attention for the first encounter and only nods off again if you leave and come back later.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dancer is toast, I indirectly killed a baby, and I finally beat the tutorial. :woop: Apparently I managed to be in a nice sweet spot because I got summoned for Dancer and Gundyr a good couple times each. Archdragon Peak is all cleaned up (including bumping off Leonhard and detouring for Havel's goodies), just gotta kill the big man before getting back to Lothric Castle.

So am I missing something or are the pus-infected hollows (or whatever they're called) just kinda bullshit? Yes, I know they ill like fire, but that only distracts them long enough for me to get one whole hit in, which doesn't do a whole hell of a lot of damage. Then they go into an invisible cooldown period where fire does gently caress all, which gives them enough time to do one of their patented "flail around and fill the screen with one big hurtbox" attacks. Then once the fire cooldown is over it becomes a coinflip whether or not I can get anywhere near them to give 'em the ole torch again because they like to immediately attack the frame I re-enter their range.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

giZm posted:

Firebombs are your best tool against those, don't even bother fighting them close-up.

Fair, though boy was I irritated when at the very first one up on the High Wall I took the free fire bombs, used them, and then it stopped caring about them and ran up and bit my face off. Great tutorial!

Oh, also I was double extra salty because while fighting the ones in the Garden I managed to get hard stuck between the stairs and a tree and died by default. DS3 feels like it has way more severe geometry problems than the other games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh yeah and on another small note since I got ahold of a giant pile of upgrade materials, I could finally understand what's going on with the Great Club vs. Vordt's Hammer. A +9 club actually has an identical AR to the +5 Hammer. So basically I'm trading off between that last +1 on the club (about like 35~ additional AR) and Warcry vs. frost's potential damage and Perseverance. And realistically, for anything but the smallest fodder enemies, the frost is gonna gently caress things up harder than the raw extra damage on the club.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wait, did I see a post saying that one could resurrect Reah in NG+?

I clearly said NG+++ and that whole conversation was about how you should figure that poo poo out on your own, you great big cheater!!!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The king is dead. Actually killed him with 1 HP left. First time that's ever happened to me in a Souls game, I think.

Not a fan of Lothric Castle. It's basically just the one major setpiece surrounded by a bunch of minor ones. The dragons are kind of a misfire but I actually do like the other encounters, because they're playing with more interesting ways to modulate the difficulty. So instead of just "what if you had to fight a million billion really difficult enemies and died in one hit?" it's more clever stuff like the snipers throwing charms to turn off your estus and the wizards buffing/healing the warrors (or like how the jailers back in the dungeon have the heath drain mechanic). But also on some level it feels really discordant to be fighting what look and feel like the hollow soldiers from the Undead Burg or the Forest of Fallen Giants here in an endgame area.

Also I think I discovered the secret of the pus of man, which is that they seem take extra damage if you can smack them in the snout of the actual blob monster rather than targeting the puppeted hollow. Of course I only learned this by trying to get some free hits in from above on the ones under the bridge and it would still be a nightmare to do it in a normal context. Like trying to punch a shark. Either that or they just have gently caress all for frost resistance and I was seeing that proc without realizing it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Mirroring my feelings on Duke's Archives in 1, I really liked the Grand Archives for the most part. A few bits and pieces felt unnecessary (a little too much faffing around on the outer rooftops, some of the secrets are just kind of annoying) but it was fun and didn't overstay its welcome. The run up to the Lothric bros. was actually suitably epic-feeling and there's obviously some big "walking up the stairs to Dracula's tower" vibes going on. I just wish the brothers themselves meant anything to me. They're kind of robbed of any punch when their motivation is "leave us alone, we don't wanna link the fire :smith:" and it's like, hey, what a coincidence I don't really want to either.

Also went ahead and cleared out Ariandel minus the bosses. I can see why people were (IIRC) a bit underwhelmed. I liked the opening areas well enough (could maybe do with less tree spam) but then the corvian village is just aggressively bland and fighting through the 20 some-odd Millwood dudes in the mountains was just a boring slog. The fly guys' grab attack is some top tier "frames? what frames?" bullshit. Platforming down to the bottom area while dodging explosive great arrows is some needlessly sadistic bullshit. Overall it's another area that's just kinda there in a game where a lot of the areas are just kinda there. I do appreciate Friede's "hi, hello, now gently caress off" turning to "sigh, here we loving go" because the player just won't stop sticking their nose into things.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The place was a ghost town last night in terms of signs or even invaders. With the exception of Friede, of course. It's a non-stop party around her bonfire.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Lmao, Gravetender. So anyway I ended up having a really good first try at Friede but ate poo poo towards the end, then proceeded to struggle a bit. Thankfully I got help from Gael and...also Gael. I wonder if it's the same dude who invaded me early on in Lothric Castle roleplaying as Lorian. :allears:

Then I made my way down to the Demon Prince fight and ate poo poo on the first try at 5 loving percent health left on him because he did the giant fuckoff chaos sun and even though I was a mile away from it the meteors still managed to come right for me and killed me in one hit. <:mad:> Then I reloaded and while I was waiting for Lapp to spawn in I saw a second summon sign...Slave Knight Gael! It must be the same guy, following me through the DLCs! :woop: What a friendly co-op buddy, always showing up when I need him most. :downs:

Anyway, stupidity aside, the Dreg Heap averaged out to...eh. I liked exploring the swamp (yay DS2 representation), but the angel gimmick wasn't great. It'd be one thing if there was an umbilical cord or some magic tendrils or whatever clearly connecting the angels to their hosts, but instead it just turns into some Yakety Sax bullshit. I actually somehow made it down to the Prince bonfire without killing either of them (I found the route to the second one, made note of it, then dropped down to said bonfire :goleft:), then said gently caress it and looked up spoilers because I didn't feel like warping back to the start and running the gauntlet over and over trying to find them and then have to run through the swamp at least one more time to loot everything anyway. It also then renders the swamp area kinda flat and uninteresting because by design it has to be really basic and mostly-unthreatening to fit the angel setpiece in there. IDK, I'll say this at least: They finally made a platforming-heavy section that didn't play like absolute rear end.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 2, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dunno if the Ringed City really did it for me. It's like a perfect encapsulation of all the worst parts of DS3. Gimmicky encounters, repetitive encounters, enemies that really shouldn't respawn but do, enemies that vacillate between being total chumps or an absolute nightmare, tedious runbacks... And once you see the whole area laid out before you it manages to feel so small, even with all the horizontal and vertical space they employ.

On the one hand, I feel a bit disappointed because the rando I summoned for Midir ended up doing most of the work. (Red Tearstone ring, clearly knew what he was doing.) But considering how many times I got summoned by the same 3-4 people desperately trying to beat him maybe I dodged a bullet. I was starting to dial it in over the course of trying and failing to help others, and I get the general strategy, but ultimately it's just a drat tedious fight and too RNG-heavy. Big "Sinh flies back and forth across the arena 20 times then finally lands and kills you in one hit" energy.

Oddly enough my favorite experience has been the church. My church fight was a tense battle against another player and I ultimately came out on top. Then in the process of putting down my sign for Midir I proved myself to be a pretty decent motherfucker of a spear. Between some very lucky Ringed Knight drops, the freebie you get, and all the passive summons I already got 10 spear ornaments for the first upgrade.

All that's left is Gael and the Soul of Cinder.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Midir is long and fairly tedious, but what do you mean by rng? Once he’s dialled in it’s just like 5 minutes of smacking his head once after baiting it and sprinting away from his fire and lasers. It’s an oversimplification of how I fight him but apart from doing the most damage of all bosses all the time, he’s really predictable.

Maybe being in co-op was making his AI especially fucky, but I saw a lot of instances of him doing the same attack multiple times in a row, which was just goofy. (Not his basic stuff, stuff like his quick charge, his jump away, or his big tantrum.) And maybe it's not strictly RNG per se but the fight is fundamentally different if he decides to go apeshit on the lasers or not. Also perhaps there's some tell I never clued in on, but it seemed like he could option select between capping off a combo with a regular horizontal fire breath (which opens him up for a good few hits) or he'll rear up and do the ground fire.

Edit: And I guess in a more general sense, RNG in that he has to decide to let you hit his head and sometimes he just doesn't for a while.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 3, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Spicy hot take time: Gael was alright. Soul of Cinder was alright. TBH I probably unintentionally did the same thing I did in DS1, where I basically walked into Artorias overleveled/geared and was suitably not immediately blown away by how awesome he was and was instead more like "oh neat".

To my sensibilities DS3 as a whole averages out to...eh, alright I guess. For every thing I really like there's another thing that feels worse. I want to say it feels like their hearts weren't in it after a point, but maybe that's just me projecting. I got really swept up in DS1 and DS2, but 3 just didn't recapture that same tantalizing feeling for me. :shrug:

I think I like the core combat the best out of the three games and might even be inclined to replay it sooner rather than later on that basis, but that was never the main appeal of the series for me, frankly.

Edit: Probably doesn't help that 3 is pretty meh when it comes to my favorite build type. Basically once I had Vordt's Hammer at +5 and Havel's gear retrieved there wasn't anything particularly cool waiting for me after that. Ledo's hammer is cool, but it's merely competitive with Vordt's rather than markedly better. I never even got around to trying the Quakestone.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 4, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The comparison that popped into my head is the difference between DMC1 and DMC3 and onward. Obviously they're all stylish character action games, but the former was still showing its roots as a weird Resident Evil spinoff. Maybe not a perfect analogy but close enough, I think. Hell, you've even got the much maligned second installment! :v: (Though I dunno if there's any DMC2 apologists out there...)

Basically I like DS as "King's Field but with more action elements" whereas DS3 is very much the game that you'd expect to come inbetween Bloodborne and Sekiro - polished combat, challenging fights, dazzling art design...but not exactly a whole lot of meticulous dungeon crawling* or general adventuring, even if they aren't strictly linear either.

*If you say ":actually: Chalice Dungeons!" I will stab you. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You want to ring the bell. I'm not 100% sure but I think all that message means is that you can get temporarily locked out of the "path of the dragon" ascent directly behind the bell until you deal with what you just unleashed, but AFAIK there's nothing permanently missable.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yup. It's got a Desert Sorceress Pyromancer (and her armor set to find :heysexy:) and everything!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It did seem a lot more like just "Dark Souls 4" than I expected.
But yeah it's an early trailer and you can't conclude much from it other than themes and artstyle and 'feel'.

Yeah I can't help but wonder how much of the trailer will actually reflect the final game, given DS3's hilariously chopped up and recombined state. (Which makes it even funnier since the trailer makes it sound like Elden Ring is basically a second try at Dark Souls 3.)

I"m not sure I'd describe my personal feelings on it as disappointed so much as just neutral, I guess. Obviously I was lukewarm on DS3 and I think I don't entirely gel with From's modern output, but I'm still interested - the payoff for the arm motif was :discourse: at least.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I got bored and decided to hang around and co-op in the Ringed City and I don't get what exactly a particular slice of players are up to: They summon a giant blob of random buddies at the Wall bonfire with the dried finger and then...slowly clear out the entire route down to the swamp and the swamp itself, fighting off the inevitable multitude of invaders the whole way. This isn't for progress - they have all the shortcuts unlocked, the Dragonslayer Armor is dead, no Midir in sight, etc. It's not a fight club thing, either. Soul farming? Mindless fun?

Regardless of their motives I kinda hate it because it's one of my least favorite areas and having 3-4 people running around doesn't improve it much at all. (And then if I bother to invade, oops all gank squads.) I just wanna help people clobber the bosses, dangit. :argh: (And occasionally get summoned to defend the church while I'm at it. :ssh:)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 24, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Supposedly Bamco is aware of it, but who knows if anything will come of it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Grinding mobs is the absolute worst way to get PvP tokens, the droprate is abysmal even when stacking item discovery+coins, and it's a 100% drop from dunking other players. There are many players who stink out loud in PvP, just kill them. If you lose there are literally no consequences to dying as an invader, simply try again. Purple invasions let you really stir poo poo up because everyone is on the menu and you benefit from killing other phantoms as much as killing the host (but kill the host too if you get a chance).

Darkmoon invasions can go by fairly quick since you'll be assisting the host who may very likely be trying to build a gank squad. Killing someone who belongs to Rosaria's Fingers specifically gives Proof of a Concord Twice Kept, which counts for double.

There is one consequence of dying as an invader - you drop your souls. It's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but it is a downside.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also nobody seems to talk about the fact that Sunbro invaders are aligned differently from other invaders? I tried to bump off some people to get my last few medals and on top of constantly getting summoned into 1v4s the few times I did delay long enough to get more reds on my team I would often accidentally kill them, because that's greathammers for ya. These weren't purples of any stripe, I'm pretty sure, either regular reds or fingers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wow, that's kinda dumb. Also makes targeting an absolute nightmare. No, I don't want to lock onto the guy that's on my side, From.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

vandalism posted:

Anyone wanna co op on PC?

I am always up for jolly cooperation on PC!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I did! <:mad:>

John Murdoch posted:

I am always up for jolly cooperation on PC!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've been helping other folks with Midir as of late, but I'm good with whatever, tbh. :) All I've got is the one endgame character though, so I guess just lemme know if I should bring something a bit more scaled down than a +10 bonk stick if you wanna work on early game stuff without me just blowing everything up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Might as well pop a password on to make it easy. The ole goon standard: lljk

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish I had any fuckin' clue what to do when he uses his phase 2 laser tantrum. I feel like we would've had him twice over if not for that one bullshit attack.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Like all of Midir's stuff, be right up in his grill.

The problem is that he loves to jump to the opposite side of the arena before doing that particular attack. If I stay at range, he targets me with the first beam and I die. If I try to run closer, I end up right in the path of the follow-up sweep and I die.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The big problem with any sufficiently large swarm of phantoms on PC is that at least 15-20~% of them will be hackers guaranteed. I ended up hanging around the Ringed City late last night and ran into more suspicious players in those couple of hours than I've seen across the entire rest of my playtime.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Shoulda joined the Covenant of Champions then.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
V E R Y
G O O D

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phobophilia posted:

Something extremely weird happened, I got summoned in as a Spear of the Church when I had Warrior of Sunlight covenant equipped.

The Church can passively summon anyone doing any kind of online play in the Ringed City. Actually having the banner for it equipped boosts your priority, but you technically don't need it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Church is my favorite PvP faction, though sometimes I get matched vs someone who fingered so they can summon a small army of phantoms. I'm good in PvP, but not 4v1 good.

Yeah, pretty much. Plus they'll nuke your helpers to make sure they don't accomplish anything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you know what you're doing (and have a big enough hammer), you can kill the helper painting guardian before the main phantom even gets summoned in.

Yeah, exactly. More painting guardians do get summoned in over time, but if it's into a gank squad then one of them can just tear off and keep its aggro and interrupt its heals and murder it again immediately. I've been that exact person multiple times. :v:

Btw, you can use the Purging Monument to do the same stuff as the Velka statue.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

But the purging monument is up past like 3 ladders, 5 knights and an rear end in a top hat giant summoner dude while the velka monument is just a short jog from the bonfire
...or is there a shortcut ladder to kick down from up there that I missed or forgot

Oh, you made it sound like the statue was even less convenient than the monument somehow, oops. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Are you having trouble actually connecting to other people in general? If not how available you are to other players is dictated by your highest upgraded weapon and your soul level.

As an addendum to this, using a password to co-op with specific people actually removes these restrictions. The summoned player(s) will be scaled appropriately to compensate, though.

I have heard of rare instances of the game(s) throwing a fit over specific NAT types or some other silly networking thing, but generally speaking it should Just Work.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was super annoyed to discover on one of my characters that if you start Ringed City before going to the painted world, you lose the ability to go there completely. Or it might be after touching the lady's egg. Either way

I think even if Gael leaves due to shenanigans, the painting fragment gets left on the altar next to where he usually is.

:toot:

Worth noting that DS3 has a password system for co-op, so if you really want some help you can always ask us trusty goons instead of relying on randos.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Great Club isn't bad, but it's hard to beat how busted good Perseverance + Frost is.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
May vary depending on your build, but generally Heavy that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Basically every enemy immediately after Dancer has some chance to drop chunks, albeit at a slightly low rate. Plus your usual smattering of freebies scattered around.

No reason to hold back on endurance if you can afford to pump it up and feel like you need it. There's a ring that gives +5 free points so it can be worth stopping at 35 if you want to conserve a few level ups.