Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like it's always a 50/50 whether or not summoning for a fight was the right thing to do or made it feel worse. Some bosses get markedly more bullshit with more people, some get markedly dumber, and others feel appropriately raid boss-y.

Really I just wish these games had the ability to revive bosses at will so I could play them every different way, over and over, as I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah ds1 is good i'm just trying to spread the hate from 2.

This is the thing, really. It's not that anyone who loves 2 thinks it's flawless, but a lot of its problems are identical to problems 1 already had but are mysteriously glossed over.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Like it's gonna sound reductive but the points presented are basically saying the bad parts of DS2 are bad. And...yeah, they are. I love DS2 but I'm not going to disagree about any of 'em because I've ran afoul of the same exact stuff.

But there's plenty of equally dumb poo poo in DS1 and I think DS3 is a mess of a game so :shrug: Hell, even Elden Ring has areas I think are terrible. None of the games have ever reached a consistent level of quality.

Ultimately DS2 is more than the stupid loving salamanders.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

DS2 had a competent director. The issues is they were a late edition after the prior director was fired and the base game needed to be stitched together and sent out the door. They didn't get to apply their competency to designing something from the ground up until the DLCs came out.

Lol, I had sped over that post. The director of DS2 co-directed Elden Ring.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I distinctly remember NK being aggressive enough that you simply have to get comfortable waiting for a proper opening to heal and continuing to dodge in the meantime.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I feel like that's like 1/4 of bosses through the series

Not necessarily untrue, but I think there's a distinction in that a lot of bosses aren't actually capable of hard punishing reflex healing because they simply don't put out enough raw damage for it to matter beyond wasting a few extra estus charges to recover from a bad facetank.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

I got the game at the same time as two buddies and we all found them super difficult

My fight with them was a clusterfuck. Honestly I just flatout never internalized how to dodge most of the phase two burning attacks. I assume it was my usual bad habit of mindlessly rolling in a single direction, but dunno for certain.

Pontiff was the other roadblock, but I chalk that up to a slow weapon and a lack of patience. And I guess well after the fact the revelation that From overrelies on player distance to influence boss AI...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

War Wizard posted:

Does Midir even have a weapon or spell? No.. it was something to do with the spears of the church?

You get the church covenant banner but also his soul which you can turn into some stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For whatever reason the Twin Princes were nbd at all for me. Usually I chalk that up to being better at reflex-based bosses, but that fight stands out for the sheer gulf in how most everyone else loathes it, unlike, say, Artorias or Gael.

I think I had more issues with the Dragonslayer Armor, both times.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh. Ohhh. The cool parts of the Sellsword Twinblades are on the left hand attacks. I was incredibly confused for basically the entire way up to Vordt before I decided to look it up.

I'm feeling their awful range though. Goddamn imps have been my #1 nemesis. Along with needing to readjust to 3's overly hyper pace in general...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Technically you could rush Oceiros but it'd be a big pain in the rear end.

I am very much biased but I see a lack of BONK in that list of builds. Vordt's Greathammer can be obtained quickly and is one of the best weapons in the game on top of being BONK.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Plus you could always main Vordt's/STR up until it's easier to get the MLGS and then pivot to that + INT. Or just respec.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Guess which art Vordt's has permanently affixed to it? :allears:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS3 circles back hard to the DS1 style of doing things. So embering up is what controls all online/pseudo-online stuff the same way going human in DS1 did, and illusory walls need to be struck with a weapon or rolled into to reveal.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They feel downright unfinished. My first instinct was that their fart cloud did...literally anything at all, but nnnooope!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In DS2, you could sell items off, but only to my man Gavlan, he of the wheeling and dealing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The goo snakes are just flatout a bad, dumb enemy. The one comin' out of Gundyr is tolerable because it's not just a flailing mess that fills the entire screen with damage, the rest are rear end. People say to use fire but fail to realize that fire damage makes them freak out for a couple of seconds, then they gain a couple of seconds of immunity to it, at which point you die. One of the very first ones you can encounter on the High Wall has firebombs right in front of it as a hint, yet it's possible to fail to kill it with those firebombs because they're not actually enough. The ones in the Consumed King's Garden might as well be a joke and you're better off running past them.

The pyro is in Undead Settlement and the magic dude is hiding out in one of the swamps. I know for a fact the latter fucks off entirely if you fail to talk to him and give him 2 magic scrolls before beating Abyss Watchers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

Any recommendations on dumb heavy playstyles that's not just facetanking bosses as I abuse perseverance with a 2h hammer?

There's other playstyles? :confused:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Because for some strange Fromsoft reason you start at the previous floor for that status type and then have to burn off the difference.

If your first thought is "doesn't this make items that improve status resistance way less good" then welcome to the club.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it worked how you wanted it to you could just toggle the ring on and off to gain free status curing. You can do something similar with regen.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Party Boat posted:

It does make mossfruit and profuse sweat marginally less useful, as about ten seconds of the buff's duration is expended waiting for the bars to drain.

It'd also be one thing if it was just an old quirk of DS3, but it carried right into Elden Ring. Which already has problems justifying its bloated list of consumables without making a bunch of them worse due to wacky programming.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goblin week posted:

This is gonna sound like a joke but you can just use a shield to block the lava damage.

goblin week posted:

Only on the way in, though, because it hits from one direction only. :psyduck:

Well, it must be intentional...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a previous poison area back for round two so it doesn't count. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Technically, Blighttown wasn't a swamp.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Water?! What water? :itwaspoo:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Everybody always latches onto the DS1 callbacks (usually to complain), but nobody ever talks about all the DeS references.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To me the callbacks and the themes intertwine to a large extent. In a meta-textual sense the 3rd game is very conclusively closing the circle, which means turning back towards its origin point. I mean, hell, the Ringed City is literally both the beginning and the end.

The weirdest part is that the two callbacks that people seem to have the biggest problem with - Anor Londo and the Abyss Watchers - aren't done artlessly? People act like Anor Londo is some triumphant bit of DS1 nostalgia but it's literally a barely surviving shithole taken over by a goopy Lovecraft monster. (I mean I also think its inclusion is a little weird and goofy, but not because it's unchecked fanservice.) Meanwhile unless I'm just daft I thought the entire point of the Abyss Watchers is that the world has stagnated so badly that even knights swearing to continue Artiorias's work have basically forgotten him or what they're even supposed to be doing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Best I remember they tried to patch it once but only half-heartedly, so instead of being insanely easy you need to put a little effort in.

I was shocked at how readily I was able to do it despite being on KBM.

...Then quickly doing it again because I got confused about something and dropped down wrong. :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

theblackw0lf posted:

Aldrich. At the bonfire and at the gate.

Edit: now at Dancer: still no summon signs

I don't think either of those are big summon hotspots to begin with. At least they weren't for me on PC years ago, I can't imagine they're any busier now. :shrug:

Even Twin Princes could be spotty, but if you're gonna get hits it'll be for them. Or maaaybe Dragonslayer Armor?

It's also possible you're at a slightly wrong level range and just not matching with whatever few players are around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not in DS3. Get a dagger with quick step.