Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man I sure love this jump in the tower with the Estus Ring (I’m guessing most of you know the one). The best part is a loading fog wall after every fuckup!

Edit: gently caress it, maybe if I knew it was a +10 Holy Moonlight Sword or something I’d bother, I hope it’s nothing too indispensable

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hmm, I knew it going in, but they really seem to have done my boy pyromancy dirty in DS3, huh? No regrets though, Fashion Souls is top priority and hardly anything is cooler than throwing a fireball that explodes into a dozen smaller fireballs even if the damage is poo poo for the considerable investment . :)

And umm, this game has really good levels imho. There’s virtually no interconnectivity like DS1 that I can tell but each area is so wide and sprawling so far (just killed Crystal Sages) I find myself constantly surprised that there’s still more level.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Goddamn, Patches’ reaction to you falling for his trap if you already killed the giants (surprisingly not that hard tbh, to the point that the souls gained feels like overkill) is great. Got a hearty laugh out of me, at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Golly gee, I can’t think of anything I wanted more than if the forest from DS1 literally fused with Blighttown AND The Depths and I got to ponderously walk through poison sludge and largely samey forestland before getting ganked by those demons with the chain grab.

...well okay, conceptually it is pretty neat when you slowly start to piece together that it literally is the forest hosed all the way up from Blighttown runoff. Just not the most fun thing to play through.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was kinda mad when a boulder ran me over in the catacombs and shoved me into a cliff cause I lost my ember from it, but then I realized no, it’s a giant orgy skeleton ball and I’ve cooled off a fair bit. Then I had a decent chuckle when orgy skeleton killed itself on the bars to the broken gate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really like the lore detail of chaos pyromancies having no int/faith requirements, presumably because it’s been like thousands and thousands of years since even DS1 that everyone forgot how to cast them all that way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So out of curiosity, what’s the “best” way to run a pyromancer in this game? I’m guessing something like a raw straight sword you eventually convert to a dark one for the scaling, and just beeline to Great Chaos Fire Orb/Chaos Vestiges? I’ve been just hacking away with a raw hand axe and was feeling kinda underwhelmed until Chaos Bed Vestiges tore the doggo guarding Ithryil to shreds.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just looked it up and gently caress, next to Quelaag’s Furyblade that’s the most pyromancer-rear end weapon I’ve seen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m glad that after like four freaking FromSoft games they brought back “prison level” from Demon’s Souls, complete with gargoyle miniboss at the end. I guess Hypoenon Gaol is a prison but it’s not quite the same oppressive atmosphere.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of skeletons, did the bonewheeels always do the Akira drift, or is that new? And umm, why does Lloyd’s Talisman put mimics to sleep? Is there a lore reason for that I missed or just a weirdass Easter egg throughout all three games?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

The life drain in the dungeon is actually a good mechanic. the jumpscare screams are incredibly dumb though

Are they really meant to be jumpscare screams so much as “lol get hosed” screams? They’re not very scary after the first time when it’s only one zombie ambushing you but I knew ahead of time that there was one near the profaned capital exit from doing coop and still couldn’t trigger it from attacking it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean....attacking the corpse that’s not really a corpse preemptively to avoid the screaming. I tried to do that with one I knew was a trap lady from a prior coop run and it didn’t work. Did I type that oddly or something?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

snoremac posted:

I think they're fine because they inspire dread despite being fairly weak, but the area where there's about seven of them walking in a circle is ludicrous. I don't know how to do it except to slowly isolate each one.

I think you’re “meant” to do it stealth style and unlock the cell door at the end with the crucified guy to whittle them down if you wanna explore since he’ll immediately go ham on them (and probably also the mimic), I think you can just hug the wall and not have very many of them aggro to the cell with the giant babies that are mostly passive.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, Greirat question. His quest line is pretty infamous my now so I read up on it some. My understanding is that Siegward ends up saving him while going through Ithryl or you tell Patches that’s where he went and he does it. I ended up going to Ithryl Dungeon and further through the Profaned Capital for my build and ended up freeing Siegward from his cell.

So umm, since Patches isn’t offering to save him and Siegward is gonna be busy with his own plot stuff from what I know, is Greirat already saved and gonna pop back in to Firelink when I kill a boss or did I gently caress up?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, that blows chunks, thanks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, they should really have put the Storm Ruler somewhere like right next to the boss room in a chest or something. Kinda sucks poo poo that Onion Bro just bit it because the charge isn’t very intuitive if you don’t already use a weapon with a stance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well yeah, I got my titanite slab so I don’t care all that much wrt gameplay, but I feel slightly robbed insofar as me and Siegward both tag teaming Yhorm with sick sonic booms would have been sick as poo poo, I don’t even care that I lost a pretty good NPC to expedite the fight.

Speaking of, I went back to Ithryl since I ended up going to the Dungeon to make a Dark Battle Axe and that worked out pretty great! It turns out that lots of things really hate being hit by dark damage, and they hate that my battle axe actually scales with my good stats even more! Pontiff Sully seems a bit much though, and I think From knew that since there’s so many summons readily though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf you should probably be proud of yourself for making it that far without using a single bone shard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I knew it was coming but it’s still v. heartwarming to see the silver knight entourage of dragonslayer bows to welcome me formally back to Anor Londo. I’m almost disappointed that they made it fair this time though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, so is there an actual explanation somewhere for why there’s two Firelink Shrines/Untended Graveyards in the game? Or is it just a Bloodborne homage because Bloodborne is cool and rad? I guess “the flow of time in Lordran is warped and distorted” is an explanation but that’s just a transparent multiplayer justification.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that’s my guess too but it still feels weird cause you just kinda kill a crazy old man, smack a wall, then stumble into the opening area but it’s the past now. At least put a fog wall or something, you know?

Also at Archdragon Peak, it really does feel nostalgic fighting man-serpents again. There’s been no shortage of DS1 homages but this hits different, idk why. It’s a little annoying too since they got way stronger with much better weapons, but still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Usually I don’t mind spoilers for Souls but I really wish I could go into Soul of Cinder blind cause it really is one of the best player sendoffs in gaming.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

He’s on the cover of the game so idk how blind can one really be to him

I meant more the part where phase 1 is an amalgamation of the PvP meta and phase 2 is Firedad Again. That’s something that’s only really spoiled once you see it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s totally cool that Dark Souls 3 put another pain in the rear end greatbow/javelin area in the DLC with the downward descent down this bridge ladder/tree branches.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m cool with being a salty baby if need be, but this section feels pretty bullshitty if only because the collision detection on these branches is pretty unreasonably shaky sometimes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thankfully, the go to pro gamer strat of “bitch on the internet” worked, im sure there’s an item hanging out on the one branch high up with the boombow viking but that’s the ledge I died five times trying to land on so gently caress it.

The

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

got curious to try a faith build so I made a tomato son

God I can’t wait to see what that looks like all hollowed out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What, you've never seen a sundried tomato before?

Not one that ugly and godforsaken, no

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

Turn on your monitor

Jokes on you, it broke years ago after seeing me in a well-lit room :smug:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

FRIAR TOMATOFACE has killed a cardinal and taken his vestments and is now CARDINAL TOMATOFACE

It’s disturbing how well that outfit/face combo works

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m a friendless loser but there’s a password feature for coop that scales your damage back if you’re helping a significantly underleveled player

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool that the penultimate boss of Dark Souls 3 is a pair of paraplegics that instant transmission everywhere. Like, no irony, there’s some kind of tragedy and warped elegance to most of the Lords but the Super Lothric Bros nail it in a pretty understated way compared to “the world is so ducking tired we repeated the whole Artorias of the Abyss thing by accident” and “Gyndolin’s corpse being piloted by slime mega man”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the complaints about the enemies being from Bloodborne while you’re still in Dark Souls 1 have largely been overblown cause they might be faster and more aggressive but they’re still the same dumb old Souls enemies wrt openings and general vulnerability to mashing R1 but yeah, I might be a big old baby (feel like I’ve posted that more than once in this thread now) but Soul of Cinder is making me miss my BB sidesteps like nothing else has. Specifically phase 1 that’s just a amalgamation of NPC/PC builds where sometimes even one axe swing can leave me open so I guess I’m throwing black balls, phase 2 actually feels like the hard part’s done even if I still wiped twice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Have you fought Friede yet?

That’s one of the DLC bosses, right? I was gonna wait till I beat the game but I guess I should just finish the DLC so my punk rear end can learn what real “why boss so Bloodborne” is, huh?

Lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool that they realized Lady Maria was a cool boss fight so they gave her a sick scythe to go ham with.

Also beat the game, it was fun and I stopped having trouble when I remembered my Bloodborne training (fear is for the weak) also I feel like I got lucky with Cinderdad using his full combo that leaves tons of healing openings.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is there some trick to expedite the first phase of the fire demon fight? It’s not like, super hard or anything cause it’s designed to be blown through, but unlike other multiphase/gimmick fights like Ornstien/Smough, Bell Gargoyles, Abyss Watchers and the the Lothric Bros they don’t die very fast, even a single guy takes like 250ish damage unbuffed so umm, should I just say gently caress it and summon?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ah, I pulled off a few BB style viscerals after whaling on them enough but didn’t connect it to damage in a certain timeframe even though more proced after the first one went down, I just figured it was damage to the head.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Most of my boss fights have been with pyromancy so I wouldn’t have noticed anyway, heh. Although Soul of Cinder did stagger a few times when I got bolder with dark orb spam and I heard a weird sound effect, maybe it was that?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I know this poo poo’s like ten hours once you’ve memorized the rough blueprint of “poo poo what I need for my build” buy Im pushing seventy on my first playthough (a lot of that is probably water/bathroom breaks so like sixty but still) and still have the actual Ringed City to go. I’m definitely coming back to this at some point for a replay but I’m a no life loser so i get just wanted to play an amazing game once.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, it’s not my fault he has a spell that does a lot of damage and looks cool as heck. Dude really should have just breathed acid at people so his soul transposed into Acid Surge or something else lovely if he didn’t want people barging in to kill him and his worm. :colbert: