Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Can you fly via VPN Airlines to a different country to unlock before the official US release?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It feels so good to use the Red eye orb and get a hit in like 5 seconds every single time.

I've already seen more blue sentinels in this game than in 200 hours of dark souls 2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I find it really difficult to measure the difficulty in souls games since I'm so much better at them now than I was when Dark souls 1 was released.

This game is probably harder than the other ones but I'm still breezing through it with no problem. I guess that's what hundreds of hours of souls experience does for you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless poster posted:

i used all 5 of the starting cracked red eye orbs and i was very surprised to learn that evidently everyone plays this game with 2 buddy phantoms at all times. getting stomped 3v1 is whatever, but i am amazed that so many people prefer to roll through the game the first time with +2 people watching their back instead of digging through the dungeons on their own. i always felt like white phantoms were more frustrating than useful in ds1/ds2 because they were either people who already memorized the level and ran through flipping all the switches and killing everything for you, which completely removed all the challenge, or they were complete idiots that would just die immediately to the first monster that showed up.

i think about 90% of my enjoyment is figuring out and mastering the content based on my own skill, so it's really weird to me that many more people than i would have guessed are running around with 2 extra buddies at all times.

You are only invading people who have used an ember and a disproportionately large portion of those are people who coop since you need to be embered to summon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pthighs posted:

Could someone tell me where to go from Firelink shrine? I can't find anything but the tower, which needs 20k should fit the key. :negative:

Use the bonfire to teleport.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't like hosts that don't open the shortcut before they start summoning for it.

I found the path through the spear valley to be faster and pretty safe when you know how to do it.

The tree boss is also optional so you don't have to beat it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megafunk posted:

gently caress the run up to the abyssal watchers, a minute of just sprinting through scenery and then you either spend a few business days killing the ultra poised out dark knight dudes or sit on your rear end for a few minutes while they fight and then run past, hoping to not get utterly buttslammed by the spear spam. The fight itself is frustrating, but doable but the run up to it makes me want to just do something else. If there is a shortcut or something I am Interested.

The run is really loving short already though. What bonfire are you using?

Also, run to the boss from the right and not from in front of the door where the knights are.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So, lets talk builds for a second. Because mine is a mess, almost every level goes into VIT because I want to one hand a claymore and run around in shiny knight armor without thudding to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I've just barely managed to get my equip load below 70% for a mid roll and that's good enough for now.

You can respec in this game so doing whatever with your build isn't really a problem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Without being too spoilery, what allows you to respec and is there a finite amount of them?

It's a covenant and you can do it five times in a playthrough.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Have you fought the dude on the way out of the undead settlement?

Because if you want faster than that, I dunno what to say.

Dark souls 3 is still way slower than Bloodborne.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Lol what are you doing just get on with the level whats the worst that can happen, you die!?

He literally can't proceed because fog walls will prevent you from leaving an area with an invader in it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Estus usage being so easy kind of ruins pvp for me. Unless you can burst someone down super fast most fights just turn into slugfests.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I managed to get to the end of the Siegward questline without loving it up and apparently Siegward loving owns.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Do you have to buy his armor back from Patches?

Yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

man nurse posted:

Uhh, am I supposed to be able to beat High Lord Wolnir? He has impossibly high HP.

Hit the bracelets

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

Maybe I just need to Git Gud, but is there a way to get more Estus before you fight Vordt? I can clear pretty much all of High Wall without incident save for the big chunk of Lothric Knight pain right before his door, and then I've got nothing left for him.

Also gently caress Lothric Knights. :hist101:

You should learn the true art of Dark souls: Running past every enemy.

(also, open up a shortcut)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So I have a question. Is it actually possible to beat the second phase of the Abyss Watchers fight?

Because I don't think it is. If so though, how the hell do you even start to fight a guy with a fire sword and apparently infinite stamina who literally does not stop attacking ever?

That guy isn't even particularly aggressive as far as aggressive souls bosses go.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Is there anything that I would want to keep ___Trusty Patches___ alive for? Also, will killing him get me siegward's armour?

He's your good friend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Since poise doesn't seem to help very much, is there much point in using heavy armors? High defense stats have always seemed underwhelming in this series.

Fashion.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

So eh, Road of Sacrifices and Cathedral of the Deep.

The levels themselves were fun but man, the bosses were incredibly underwhelming. I haven't fought a fun boss since Vordt. I hope the game starts to pick up the pace

You haven't seen anything yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Appoda posted:

In short, any good reach weapons out there?

The estoc is great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

objects in mirror posted:

Why do people say you should play these games blindly. I'm currently playing Scholar of the First Sin and without using guides about where to go next I don't know how I could complete the game in a reasonable amount of time.

Have you thought about, uh, exploring?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

And now Eygon is aggressive every time I try to sneak past him and I can't go on with the game. I can't kill him, he wrecks me every time. Only other option is to grind 25 000 souls and pray at the shrine?

Just run past him then?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

Argggggg the Abyss Walkers are everything I hate and fear in a Souls boss :smith: Humanoid bosses, fast, multiple enemies at once, MULTIPLE PHASES!! At least there aren't any over-powered AOE attacks???

You are really going to dislike some of the later bosses then.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

He follows me all the way inside the building and so far I've been unable to continue with the NPC there with him attacking me all the time.

He's not going to follow you if you go up/down with the elevator.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

It happens sometimes. I've managed to do it to a number of bosses.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Two unrelated questions: Is there a ring or something that increases the damage done by poison you inflict on enemies?

Nope. Poison is garbage this time around.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

So I had to buy Dark Souls 3 twice last night because I'm an idiot that thought maybe, just maybe, It would run ok on my old PC (Core i5 760, 4gb RAM, GTX 560) Nope, it was a total slideshow even at low settings and 720p. I updated my video drivers beforehand too. Its weird because my system runs Dark Souls 2 flawlessly and I didnt 3 think would be that big of a leap in graphical requirements. So I ended up buying it for Xbox One. Does anyone play 3 with an old system like I have?

Dark souls 2 was made for PS3/360 and 3 is made for newer consoles, of course it's going to be massive increase.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish people would stop calling the third ending a "true ending" or the "best ending" when it's just a different ending.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Day Man posted:

What are the purple phantoms?

Your best friends. Summon all of them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Frostbite can actually stagger some bosses and let you visceral attack them so that's a bonus

Are you sure that's the frostbite and not just you doing enough damage? I have visceraled plenty of bosses with normal weapons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I mean Yuria's working for Kaathe, and that's exactly what the Dark Lord ending in Dark Souls 1 was: believing that the true nature of man and source of human power was immortal, undying insanity because a snake with horse teeth and a mustache told you so.

Why the heck would you trust her

Eh, what's the worst that could happen

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's basically Artorias on crack, it's a brutal as hell fight and I have no idea anyone does it without a shield unless they are a grand master at dodging. Which means there's probably already a video of someone beating it as a level 1 deprived naked and two-handing the club.

I found it easier without a shield since his attacks take too much of your stamina when you block.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

To be fair, anyone who invaded was not looking for a good fight, since most of the time their target was unprepared.

I love invading and getting invaded. Spontaneous pvp in a wide variety of areas is (or would be) really fun.

Easy estus drinking and running makes it a whole lot less fun (+ every fight being at least 1v2)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Lordric is the most bullshit boss I've ever seen. I woke up this morning thinking DS3 might be my game of the year already, and am going to bed never wanting to play it again. And the most bullshit part is that I know if loving summoning actually worked instead of just saying "unable to summon phantom" every loving time I try and get help I could do it.

Unable to summon phantom usually means that someone else summoned him before you. Apparently there is a real shortage of phantoms compared to people who want to summon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Why in the flying gently caress do Alrdith Faithful target other invaders, rather than the hosts? I don't understand why you would kill the guy on the same side as you.

Maybe you should stop trespassing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

immortal flow posted:

This is true, but why is the utilization so low across all 4 cores? It never breaks 80% on core 1 or 50% on the other cores, no matter the situation. Temperatures are fine too. I'm sitting here right now at 50 fps, with GPU and CPU nowhere near maxed out, which just shouldn't be happening.

The game just isn't very good at using your CPU but is still CPU limited in most cases.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

You can skip the following:

Curse-rotted Tree thingie (you miss out on the Transposing Kiln, though)
Ancient Wyvern (located in the optional dragon area)
Nameless King (same as above)
Consumed King (located on sidepath after the Dancer fight, need this - or rather, something after his fight - for the optional dragon area)

I think that's all that can be skipped.

There's also champion grundyr, who is also after the consumed king and the Old demon king in smouldering lake

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

does anyone have some advice for the pontiff? I'm just taking far too many hits that require me to heal without much time to heal

Take less hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like the pvp a lot more if drinking estus wasn't so easy.