Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I Do Not Like this tree boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's an incredibly stark difference between Getting It and Not. My first three tries felt impossible and now it's my favored sunbro target.

Stay mobile, pick off easy to reach bubbles. The chaff in phase one A) are super slow and B) die to some of the tree's attacks.

Also, unless you have some really good phantoms and just need to not die, consider two-handing your weapon.

Got it very next attempt, thanks. I didn't even realize there were other bubbles besides the front.

Also what's the deal with the mound makers? I found the covenant, and I saw a summon sign with a purple phantom which I figure is them, but what's up?

Andrast posted:

I found the path through the spear valley to be faster and pretty safe when you know how to do it.

The tree boss is also optional so you don't have to beat it.

The run from the cliff underside bonfire is about 15 seconds with no enemies, if you opened the door.

I like that undead settlement encourages you to explore down both paths. Go one way and get shot at, and unlock the boss but also have a long boss run. Go the other way, stop the arrows and get a short boss run.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Hey Seigfriend, you... alright there?

(that's his leg up by his head)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I beat naked katana man by spamming lucerne's spin-to-smash combo, then backstep attacking when I ran out of FP.

I was getting frustrated with the cool dog knight at the end of undead settlement, so I ran past him... to find out there's a bonfire right there! Then I beat him by abusing the fact that he can't go through the door, and got his cool sword.

Then I used that sword to go destroy the big fatty patrolling the one place in Lothric's wall, and the crystal dragon at the start.

Then I noticed there was a guy sitting on one of the thrones in firelink and gave him a thing, and now I have the Mirrah greatsword to work towards using (I also found the clothes minus the helmet).

A Good Day in Dark Souls.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mound makers is such a cool idea, but everyone just treats it like fight club. Like anyone who actually wants help is just going to summon a white/sun phantom and they have no reason to play along.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

After a bunch of attempts at mound making, I finally got a host who needed help getting through the level, AND who had a convenient white phantom for me to gank. My plan was to act all friendly, help them through to a bonfire, kill the phantom, then I guess die if it didn't boot me out? That way I'm helping AND get my reward. Host got blown up. Oh well, now I can trade the thing in for Lucatiel's mask.

There was another dude who I helped through most of undead settlement. He got invaded by a mad npc. We killed him but I didn't get a reward. He got to the bonfire, but couldn't light it. Oh well, I'll just attack and- oh I'm dead. Dang it.

That's my mound maker story, thanks for reading. Back to sunbroing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Eddain posted:

Man ranged weapons are pretty scarce early on.

What's the ideal way to take down Treeballs? I've been phantoming him for a few hours but the host usually dies before we managed to take him down. It just feels like you rarely have a safe time to go in and strike.

There are other sacks to break, like on his hands, back, limbs, etc. One person can distract him/his main hand while the others go and hit the easy ones.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

A noob question: The Bonfires are the save locations, so when I quit I will always restart from the last Bonfire I activated? May I switch that later and even fast-travel?

It autosaves basically constantly- when you quit, you load back in exactly where you were, with the world and your character in the exactly the same state.

Once you unlock more bonfires, yes you can fast travel.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You can sort of mitigate it by equipping a quickstep weapon as it ignores the slow when you use its art, but doing so will drain your mana.

I'm trying to figure out why I liked Shrine of Amana but not lower Blighttown/Farron Keep. I think its because Amana is a straight line whereas the later are both big open areas. Normally I like big open areas, but when they are dark swamps that limit your movement exploring them just isn't fun. Also Amana actually had dangerous enemies so the water movement penalty was an issue.Blighttown has leeches and loving mosquitoes bugging the poo poo out of you. Farron Keep's deep sludge is mostly harmless slugs and baskilisks.

Well aside from the vicar priests. I have no idea how you're even supposed to fight those short of having enough damage to kill them in one combo, cause they never stop summoning projectiles.

I haven't gotten to whatever this part is in DS3, but I want to say that I had a lot of fun running people through the Shrine in DS2 using dual caestus. It was like I was batman.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Hmm. I beat the crystal sage, but I still see summon signs, so there's probably another boss in the area.

I guess I'll have to go explore the building... with the crazy jesus monsters... and the 'old friends'... and those two guys with great weapons... Hmmm.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Is there a ninja flip ring? Probably not, but I think it'd make a cool combo with the quickstep axe.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tollymain posted:

how bad is the deprived start? i kind of want to do it first run, but my brother said it's like taking on the asylum demon with the broken sword?

I didn't think it was too bad, although of course I haven't done any other starts to compare. The clubs actually pretty solid. Just de-equip the plank shield and two hand and roll. The lothric knights were scary at first, but once I learned to just smash them in the face repeatedly and then roll away they got pretty easy. Or maybe I'm better than I thought?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

96 spacejam posted:

Where does he go after disappearing in the cage? I can't seem to find him and the Treenuts guy is still up in my game.

Different guy. The guy in a cage is a pyromancer trainer (or was it sorcery? I forget). He goes back to firelink. Look around the area between the bonfire and Andre.

To get to the mound makers, you need someone carrying a cage.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Stokes posted:

I'm currently getting my dick kicked in by some frost beast underneath the Undead Settlement. If I've cleared out everywhere else in the area, is that the only path to go? Or am I missing something?

Lure it to the side you start on, then book it to the door. It's not locked.

bonfire right on the other side, so if you really want to kill it you have a) much much much much faster/easier attempts b) he won't follow through the door so you can go through to heal

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ok so I found the red invader covenant lady. I've heard that joining this one fucks up another npcs quest- but is that just the 'ask to join option'? Or should I just wait until I finish that npc before talking to her to get the trophy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Merauder posted:

Couple things:

1. Are phantom's names now based on the character name instead of the PSN ID? I'm seeing lots of "normal" names and have to assume they aren't all NPCs.

2. I've hit a progress wall due to lack of direction. Just finished the Cathedral, went back to Firelink and talked to the chick & her buddy, they talked about where they were headed which I assumed was my clue, but it wasn't clear to me where I'm supposed to go to follow them.

1. It's a setting. I think the default is character name.

(also what does the summon sign visibility setting do?)

2. From the crystal mage bonfire, you want to go to the opposite end of the crab lagoon. Like hug the left wall. (or start at the halfway fortress and hug the right wall). I think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Deacons was a really cool gimmick fight. It took me way too long to figure out the trick to the first phase, though :sigh:

e; hilariously easy in coop, though.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 15, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

I've never played a dark souls game before but I heard the multiplayer on this game is unlike any other game before it. Can I just go around collecting ears?

Multiplayer is this sort of opt-in layer to what's otherwise a single player game.

You do a thing which sets you... unhollowed was the old term for it, but now it's called kindled or something? Anyway when you're in that state you can summon helpers, but you're also a target for hostile invasions. Risk-reward.

If you want to invade, there's a couple different ways. You can get an item that matches you up with someone to invade (or a version that lets them summon you for honour duels). There's one that will send you to help another player who's been invaded. There's one where you can help them go through a level and get rewards for fighting off invaders, but also you can backstab the host for a reward. There's one or two that are matched to a certain area- anyone in that area is eligible for invasion no matter their state (I think?).

But more passively, there's stuff like blood spots (see how another player died), ghosts (a glimpse at another player), and the asynchronous message system (put down a madlib message template, other people will see it or you see theirs).

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 15, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

Just beat Deacons of the Deep and then met Patches. Is there a way for me to raise the wall he tricks you with? Or is that later?

hard to explain. There's a shortcut back to the cleansing bonfire that has the lift up, to where that one archer was way earlier. Walk around the edge of that tower to find a ladder to a higher level. Goodies and enemies there. There's a door that leads to the rafters of the cathedral. More enemies and goodies. Across from the door you came in, there's a ledge you can drop down on, and then from there another short drop to a wood thingy. Levers there. And Patches, I think*. And a bonfire. And a covenant.

*I'm pretty sure this is right- P didn't actually show up for me in the Cathedral.

Grem posted:

Os anyone else having trouble getting two co op allies in certain areas? The Crystal Sage and Abyss Watchers specifically.

I think there's a limit of one in certain areas.

plape tickler posted:

Where is Siegward's armor? I know I've seen it somewhere.

Patches sells it But I don't think you need to spoil the name of a dude. I mean it's basically worthless because everyone has to mouse over to see who you're talking about.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm...in a big ruin?

less obtusely, if you decide you just want to spoil it for yourself in the ruins before the crystal sage, in the road of sacrifice. If you were going to the sage, there's a path on the left of the room that leads to the sage.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I'm dumb, where's Sirris' summon sign for the abyss watchers?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jose posted:

how do i get to the items above the cave with 2 chests in in the poison swamp?

Keep progressing, I'm pretty sure.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jolly cooperation! (abyss watchers)
http://gfycat.com/GiddyDetailedIchthyosaurs

Who can tell me what went wrong here :v:
http://gfycat.com/ConfusedFlamboyantHammerkop

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

So a friend of mine recommended this game and it looks fun as hell. My only real question that he waffled on is this:

Is this game grindy? Like I'm just done with games requiring me to beat the same boss 100x to get the right drop.

Thanks!

No. Or I mean...

It's hard, so you're going to beat your head against certain areas/bosses until you succeed.

There's some things that drop rarely from enemies, but they're not required or anything, unless you really really like a specific look or want a specific weapon. Most poo poo is just lying somewhere to be found, or bought. Bosses don't have rare drops (also you can't repeat them besides coop in another person's game, but you only get the currency for doing that, not items).

If you really want all the achievements/trophies I guess it kind of is, because you'll be doing at least one or two New Game+ cycles and some pvp.

But if you just want to get through the game there's no grinding.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oh what, I just noticed that in the travel menu each page has firelink shrine listed at the bottom.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Shindragon posted:

The bloodstain over wrote the climb down ladder prompt so you probably went ah poo poo when it was the bloodstain that took priority.

Incorrect, the answer is actually 'hubris'

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

While waiting to do coop for Abyss watchers, the little swamp gremlins actually sometimes manage to kill the Dick Wagglers if one of them gets stuck on something and they separate. I've gotten their armour and legs this way.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, gently caress the Giant ion the Cathedral.

His strikes are timed exactly so that as soon as I get up from the first one and my invincibility window is over, WHAM, there comes the second strike. It's basically like getting one-shotted, but far more frustrating because it gives me the illusion that I can just roll away, or something.

Like are you trying to fight him, or just get by? Also are you on the second level, or down by his feet trying to get items?

If on upper level- just run. Maybe do a suicide run to grab those items, but otherwise just book it. He's slow. Don't bother fighting the enemies.

If trying to get feet items- constantly roll, and kind of roll between his legs. He didn't do many stomp attacks that I saw so it's pretty safe.

If you do get knocked down, there's a specific point in the animation where you can hit dodge and roll instead of slowly standing up. I want to say that was added in Bloodbourne, but maybe it's been around longer and I forgot?

If trying to fight- ... hahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Toiwat posted:

So I'm exploring Farron and sneaking past the crabs in the water when I find a keep, and inside are two fat fucks!
So we all roll around like idiots for a good five minutes while I whittle them down; I kill one, and when I finally kill the other (who heals via miracles, the fat gently caress), bullshit happens! You've been disconnected from Steam, return to the start, don't pass go, don't collect 200!
And when I load back in, the two fat fucks are still alive and well, while I've got only one Estus and half my life! AND I STILL MANAGE TO WIN, gently caress YOU COME GET ME :black101:
Thank gently caress there's a bonfire right down the ladder.

Aside from all of that, what does Hollowing actually do? Like, I'm at 12 or something. I've given the Fire Keeper Soul to the lady, and now I can heal it for a price. Is it like sin or something?

It's somehow tied to an NPC questline and a secret ending?. There's also some weapons/infusions that do stuff based on hollow level. Other than that I don't think there's anything? Like I'm at 99 and can still summon and poo poo.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jose posted:

Where/when do I trade in boss souls for weapons? I've just beat the catacombs boss

There's a dude sitting on one of the big chairs in firelink.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ok so spoilers-

I'm thinking probably you don't need to spoil most NPC/place/enemy names, unless they actually are spoilers?

Like knowing that there's an NPC named Serris isn't a spoiler, if you don't know anything else. But there's another NPC that probably would be.
Or Farron Keep isn't a spoilerific place name, but there is at least one place that totally is a spoiler.
Yhorne/Abyss watchers/whoever else aren't a spoiler, because they're introduced in the opening cutscene! But there's probably some bosses that their names are spoilers. Certainly some enemies that are good surprises.

This would cut down on a bunch of black bar clutter. Use the names and then big box what you actually want to talk about.

Use your best judgement?

e; hang on.

Use your best judgment ?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

gently caress I missed the sunbros too?

I'm at the end of Farron Keep

Yeah it's back in undead settlement.

past the area with all the zombie dudes and the fat lady and the big bonfire, there's the path that leads through all the buildings? The first big one you go in, with two stories and all the hanging bodies and a locked door on the bottom. On the upper floor is a hole, that leads to the room behind the locked door.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

LaserShark posted:

I probably just need to Git Gud, but is there seriously only one way out of Undead Settlement? I had much less trouble with Tree Nuts than the guy down there.

Just lure him out and run by, the door's not locked.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, I have run up and down this level twice now and I haven't found a Crystal Sage. Are we talking in the watery castle place with the crabs?

From the halfway fortress bonfire or w/e it was, where you met Anri and Horace, just hug the left wall basically and you'll find it.

(or from the bonfire that leads to Farron's, hug the right wall.)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Quoting myself to say that I was disappointed to find out that the area I was trying to get to was where the lever actually was. That's some :psyduck: level design. Relatively out of the way and hard to reach path leading back to where you already were. Didn't seem to be any point to it either, just some more enemies and that lever to get back across.

Hmmm.

Mmmmm.

Hmm.

You didn't fully explore it, did you? There's an enemy that drops the red soapstone, and a bonfire, and a covenant! If you hadn't completed the boss, it would have given the quickest and easiest boss run, as well. Not that the Deacons need it, but still.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Fully explore what? You drop off the rafters onto a little platform, drop from there to a larger platform, kill a bunch of maggot guys that ambush you and pull the lever which takes you back across, that's it. Unless there's some illusory wall hiding something, there's nothing more over there. :shrug:

There's literally, just... a path.

An archway door that leads to some stairs, right opposite the lever/big gate.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The Abyss watcher sword and set is swank as gently caress, especially for sunbroing at that boss fight.

It makes roleplaying sense

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Quality build, having a real hard time choosing between the Wolf Knight Greatsword and the Farron Greatsword. Someone tip me either way.

Farron Greatsword has a built in parry and lets you do the slide-swipe the boss does and immediately on you can get the rad as hell matching armour.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oh damnit, I forgot to actually give the sorcery trainer some scrolls, and progressed too far and he vanished. Oh well, there's always NG+!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

So I gave the vendor in the nexus Lorettas bone, and he seemed fine with selling me stuff for hours. Now he's too broke up over it and he won't sell me poo poo. He was my only source of passable arrows. What gives ?

he gets over it