Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its throwing me off so much that being thrown on the ground doesn't make you invincible in this game. I keep lying for a second before thinking "wait poo poo I can still be killed!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Think I finally found a weapon I'll use for awhile. Thrall axe is a fun little hatchet that has the dash art, which seems insanely useful. Especially if you aren't using a shield. Gonna have a hard time using a weapon without one, as I keep finding more and more uses for the dash.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been using the finger at every bonfire. The two times I was embered, I got invaded right away. Now that I'm not embered, I never get invaded :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreyPowerVan posted:

can you attack instantly after dashing? if so i guess i can see it being useful as a quick-roll

Yeah, but the thing that differentiates it from a roll is it interrupts a lot of enemy animations. So you can dash into a group of enemies to stagger them and then start slashing them up. Also I think when staggered you can dash away at times you wouldn't be able to roll.

Fat_Cow posted:

Gotta remake my character because locked out of the mound makers coool

huh?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fat_Cow posted:

If you kill the tree you cannot join until way way later. But it seems either if you harm the purple invader or the other hacksaw guy (i don't know which ) the basket guy is aggroed and won't let you in his basket

Oh that guys a covenant leader?

I killed him because I thought he was a gibberish NPC :cripes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Didn't really like the first real boss, but the tree is really drat cool. What a twisted design. Wish I could play more but I gotta sleep at some point.

Afraid of Audio posted:

where the hell is titanite

I know Lothic Knights and the fat ladies can drop shards, if you just need one and are willing to grind.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I know the trick it's just really hard when your weapon needs you to be inside him to hit.

Use firebombs. The villagers in the area probably dropped some and you can throw them at tree baby when he's throwing a tantrum. Otherwise its just a matter of waiting for him to use the attacks that expose additional weak points and have his arm fall down. I dunno if there's good a way to bait those.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like the new estus system but hate that I can't allocate my estus at bonfires. Why the hell do I gotta go talk to Andre to do that?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to get up to the dragon in lothric or do I have to plink it to death from below?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

net cafe scandal posted:

If you guys haven't bought one, get a torch. Really useful for finding things you might have otherwise missed, plus the lighting system is really beautiful in this game and it adds to the Heros journey feels.

Yeah but it has equip weight so I can't be bothered to keep it on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

If its the difference between being above and under 30% I'm not gonna keep what is functionally useless on my equip bar. I'll switch to it in a really dark area but there hasn't been any of those yet.

net cafe scandal posted:

No but there may be some marginal durability drain that I've never noticed. It's not as stupid as in DS2 which is a running theme I've picked up on

How the gently caress could you ever run out of time on a torch in DS2 the game gives you mountains of them

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Loot glows white. You don't need a torch to find it. Its more useful for locating hidden passages in dark areas but again, I haven't found an area dark enough that I needed the torch yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

I haven't been invaded by a non-npc yet :( I'm usually embered too!

Try rubbing a dead finger on your face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Steve2911 posted:

What's this poo poo I heard about the early game being really easy? The first post-tutorial area is at least as hard as all of the other starting areas. I'm getting my arse kicked.

I'd say Lothric is harder than any of the other starting areas. Lothric knights make Baldur knights look like chumps.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna be really mad if you can't kill that archer in Undead Settlement. That fucker even shoots at you when you're an invading phantom! :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if you die as a red phantom in this game, you lose all your souls and they don't get left as a bloodstain. Kind of sucks since you can't just looking invasions while exploring unless you don't care about souls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RabidWeasel posted:

The stain drops where you died in the other player's world, it's a bad and dumb change.

Oh.

Well that's confusing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I swear the backstabs hurt more than they help in PvP. A lot of the time I'm about to kill someone they start rolling away. I try to hit them, get a backstab animation that does nothing, and while I'm standing still doing nothing they chug estus.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've had a few invasions where the host lagged a ridiculous amount. If there are dedicated servers I'm sure as hell not noticing them cause it feels just like other Souls games; a total crapshoot when it comes to how laggy a given session will be.

I think I should probably actually progress instead of loving around in invasions though. My build doesn't seem terribly good for 3v1 fighting anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When can I get a redo your levels item? I wasted a bunch of levels on dex before settling on the thrall axe, which has D scaling in str and dex so I'm not getting anything out of them. Would be better off making it raw probably.

Wish I also new where to give some more pyromancy, though even just the basic fireball spell is drat good in this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Turtlicious posted:

Is Leohnard gone for good if I beat the balls tree? Have I lost my chance at a red eye orb?

I didn't find that guy until after I killed tree baby, so you should be fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:stare:

Enemy didn't live up to the hype though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
5 invasions, 4 connection errors. These are some quality servers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lmao got an invasion with a blue sentinel that had no animations. He just glided around in a T positon, effectively making it impossible to fight him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Invasions loving suck right now. Half the time, you get in and the host either goes right into the boss or the connection dies. Then when you get one its almost always a guy with at least one phantom and then a blue boy shows up and they refuse to budge an inch. I guess you just have to spec for a big sweeping weapon to actually stagger multiple foes cause otherwise as soon as you hit one you just get smacked by another and its a beat down.

FEH

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

mound making is so loving good

Really wish I hadn't locked myself out of that covenant since it sounds like a better time than darkwraithing right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't imagine the AI would handle the trees unique boss design very well.

What do you guys think are the best weapons to use against multiple human opponents? I'm thinking something that has sweeping attacks over a large radius. Cowardly phantoms basically glue themselves to their host, so I bet it wouldn't be hard to get them all stunlocked with the right weapon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone tell me what the second number in a weapon physical attack is supposed to be? Is that the damage it inflicts on a follow up attack or something?

EDIT: Right after posting this I figured it out :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought purple bros automatically got summoned to sessions that had multiple phantoms in them. Basically, a covenant built around interrupting an invasion or coop session for the purpose of sewing confusion.

If those summon signs are the only way to bring them in then nobody is gonna bother with them in about a week.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boy it sure feels weirdly nostalgic and pathetic to run into an enemy that schooled you in Dark Souls 1, then basically get your rear end kicked again.

...or rather, get hit once for 3/4 of my health bar leading me to run away in a blind panic. It even chased me to the other side of the map.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got invaded by a guy called "Watchdog of Farron" in the swamp, and I assumed he was an NPC. He used more than 2 estus so he had to be right?

But if he was an NPC, how the gently caress could he lag. A bunch of his animation had stuttering issues as if he was another player :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okay how the gently caress do estus in multiplayer work? Everytime I've invaded, I've gotten two regular and one magic. I thought that was always the case. But I just got invaded by two dark wraiths at the same time, both of them definitely not NPCs, and I counted them using way more than two. Almost beat both of them, despite them working together, but the last one survived with a sliver of health even though I nearly killed him like 4 times. I kept thinking "well he doesn't have any estus left" and then oh look he does.

I don't get it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I see. Didn't notice that myself since it rounds down, so the estus shards I've found since getting the orb hadn't actually added anything to my invasion counts.

Also if you dickwraith and run into an invader that is blue, how can you work with him instead of trying to murder each other? Shameful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Rings of sacrifice don't seem to preserve your embered status. That sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a guide for the crow trader yet? Trying to figure out what she wants is pretty tedious.

She's so cute though. PUMP-A-RUM :buddy:

Eonwe posted:

I just beat the smaller icy miniboss guy in the undead settlement how far away am I from the tree boss

You can fight the tree boss right now. There's another path you can take in undead settlement, along a cliff from the second bonfire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool, clear out the swamp of crabs, get invaded by two invaders in the span of 30 seconds with all my estus gone. Fun.

Did I miss the pyromancy trainer? I found a tome for pyromancy in the swamp but haven't met anyone I could actually give it too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ymgve posted:

Pyromancer trainer is in the undead village. Exploding barrel area, drop down from the bridge to a ledge then you find a bonfire inside. Go out the other side and climb the building roofs. Pyromancer trainer is hanging in a cage at the opposite end of the building.

Thanks. I've tried exploring every inch I could think of in that drat town and still missed stuff.

a cop posted:

Can't believe the xanthous crown is so easy to get in this game :\

As the size of the Xanthous Crown has diminished, so has its prestige. Tragic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
gently caress, the online in this is so bad right now, but then its so good

3 sunbros vs. 3 invaders vs. crab army. The crabs got the kill on the host.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why does every From game need to have a loving slow rear end swamp

Why did they make you move even slower

gah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gortarius posted:

I'm talking like Bed of Chaos or Smelter Demon sort of stupid poo poo.

Smelter demon was an extremely good boss though?