Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

Man, the Irithyll Dungeon was pretty ridiculous. The screamers, those disgusting....things...and the length made it a pretty harrowing time. I think I killed every single enemy in the entire place before getting to the bonfire in the profaned capital. Is there really no other bonfire there? If I had died, I would have been pretty pissed.

There are like 3 shortcuts along the way, but yeah that's the only bonfire. It's definitely a tough area.

CJacobs posted:

After jumping down from the rafters you raise up the bridge/gate so that you can walk across to the other side of the cathedral; when you do, Patches will lower the gate from the other side while you're crossing it. You can then get back over there on your next life or whatever and berate him for it as usual. If you progress too far into the area before talking to Siegward in the well, it just plain doesn't happen- there's some other progress trigger that also causes it to not happen but nobody knows what it is.

edit: In said encounter, he's wearing Siegward's armor and pretending to be him, because he stole it. There is a pretty great cutscene of him taking off the helmet to reveal Patches' big stupid grin underneath.

It's annoying this is so easy to miss. It sounds like one of the more funny parts of the game but I straight up didn't see it at all and as you said there's no clear reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Probably a bit late with this, but dodge to his left (your right) while hugging him. His combos are fairly easy to predict so after a bit you can tell if he's going for a two or three hitter, then poke him in the butt before dodging again.

Yeah I beat him since I posted that and this is pretty much what I ended up doing. He was hard but I finally got the hang of him.

Punches, kicks, shoulder slams... what a dick.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

When fighting Yorhm do you have to use the storm ruler sword?

From my experience trying to sunbro before fighting him myself, yes. You basically do no damage otherwise.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Emalde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2sWSQbrZY

DS2/SOTFS has nothing on how hosed up and scary the enemies in the later half of the game are.

Oh my god it was so perfect

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Er, how long does that take? Cause I hit him with the sword when it glowed white and did a whopping 86 damage.

You have to keep holding L2 while you attack. Took me a while to work that out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

This is kind of an embarrassing question but what the hell am I supposed to do at deacons of the deep? I cannot stop getting cursed.

Look for the red glow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I realize this but I absolutely cannot avoid getting cursed when they are at around 25% Heath. At the end when the room turns black I can't cut through the mob in time to not get cursed. Even with the black pellet. I am at a total loss at how to beat this because there seems to be no way to avoid the buildup.

I didn't know they even had curse.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Two things:

1) The spaghetti and worm monsters in the Cathedral seem to have some kind of "super bleed." Much like Frenzy in Bloodborne, it keeps building long after I get hit...like...WAY too long. As in, the meter fills two and a half times. I'm guessing if I was nude with no bleed resist, it would be 3. The gently caress is going on? The merchant lady in Firelink isn't selling me any anti-bleed items, so I have to waste 2 Estus gulps from getting hit once. Surely there's a way to stop it from building up?

turtlecrunch posted:

Trying to get host to understand they need to take out the torch to get rid of leeches:

1. Drop torch on the ground
2. Use "HEY!" emote over and over again while host ignores you to fight the respawning zombie combo monsters
3. When host finally picks up torch, the leeches have fallen off naturally and when they use the torch nothing happens
4. They get hit again later
5. Chase them around using pyro hand R2, great combustion, etc on them
6. Host runs out of estus flasks
7. Host dies

A job well done.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

run away from them till you get to the fat guy and very quickly join the covenant

If you do that you don't get the Ring of Favor and Protection.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Anyone? I looked it up and that item is an estus shard, so I def. want it, but even at 0% ecumbrance I can't make the jump.

I know you don't have to jump over any of those pits. There are always ways around to the other side. Try looking for illusory walls.

For items in the lava just fire resist and estus. You might have to make a couple suicide runs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lid posted:

Is it normal for the body ball in Catacombs to die? While backtracking the first one, on the stairwell, went past me, and rather than come back up it blew up at the bottom and dropped an undead bone shard.

It's normal! If you look around carefully near each body ball you may be able to figure out why it happened.

It's cool to figure out on your own but if you really want to know there's a skeleton with a hat somewhere in the general vicinity of each of the two balls. He runs away if you get close, but if you kill him, the ball he's controlling crashes into a wall and breaks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tonight I've hit what I truly would call a wall in a very late game boss. Lorian and Lothric. I can't get the hang of dodging even Lorian consistantly. His teleports gently caress me up. Once Lothric climbs on, I'm completely hosed. I finally called it for the night because I wasn't making any progress or getting any better. I'll come back to it tomorrow but does anyone have any tips?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lid posted:

Luckily I can't even find the skeleton. Strangely while backtracking theres an area I can see: in the room above the second rolling ball you're forced along one side with a tonne of pots, but theres another side that cant be reached due to a hole in the floor. However there are enemies over there so it seems like you can reach it?

You can, and that's where the other skeleton is. I forget how to get there but it's a bit circuitous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

I've got to say, I just had an absolute blast getting all thirty of my bones in the Grand Archives. :allears: I love an area where I can just sort of hover around and put hosts on edge while the much-deadlier-than-me mobs murder them. Hell, the abundance of crystal lizards make a good indicator of how new they are to the area, and therefore whether I can just hang back and read SA while I wait for them to die on their own.

Basically I'm saying that I prefer to do my PvP as far away from other players as possible.

I had someone try this on me last night. They kept running away and hanging around the Sage. A succession of three Bluecops showed up and died desperately trying to kill them. I just ignored them since they weren't really bothering me and calmly explored the area. The two encounters with the Sage were a bit dramatic and I almost killed the invader before they ran and I finished off the Sage.

The last time I saw them they were hanging out on the roof near a gargoyle. I was trying to figure out how I was going to handle it, and started to backtrack to see if I'd missed any hidden paths. I had, and while I was fighting the Outrider I finally got the message that the invader had died. I think they managed to fall off a ledge somehow after all that. All in all it was a great experience and I'm glad I'm the one who came out on top in the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some very light spoilers? I'm shooting for the best ending using a spoiler free guide on how to get the "best" ending and some information is super conflicting with itself and I want to be sure I'm doing it right.

I'm in the catacombs now, talked with Anri and she asked where Horace was. I didn't tell her (not that I knew) and continued on. A part of the guide says that I'm done talking to her for this area and I can resume as normal, but I'm seeing a few people arguing and saying I need to find Horace and kill him right now. Which one is it?

Anri will die if you tell her where Horace is and leave him alive. I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't tell her she won't find him and get killed. The people saying to kill Horace probably just want to be safe. It doesn't hurt anything to kill Horace and so you might as well do it. Either way though Anri should move on to the next area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

This is not true- Anri will go down there and find him on his/her own if you don't say anything.

Ooh then yeah better get murderin

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ashtarath posted:

Ok so i have put the giant and the abyss watchers onto their thrones, where on earth do i go next?

You need to finish exploring Irithyll. You've missed at least one, possibly two bosses there depending on how far you progressed before getting sidetracked into the dungeon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress YOU TWINS YOU'RE FINALLY DEAD

Jesus I don't know why but that was like the hardest boss ever for me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toriori posted:

I picked up the jailers key ring but when I go to Siegward to open his cell it says it's locked. did I miss something?

That's only for the 3 cells in the dungeon itself. You need a special key for that one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

b0red posted:

Why won't onion bro leave his cell and help me fight the boss. I helped fight the fire demon and I've freed his rear end and got the slab. Is he glitched? I even went in ember and no ember

Did you chill with him in front of the fire place in Irithyll, cementing your bond as brothers in arms? If not then you're out of luck.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

So many dead ends in this game.

Where to go after the Twin Princes?

Wonderful though DS3 is I do kinda want to get it knocked out tonight.

You have all the Lords, now fulfill your duty.

Put them on the chairs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

:confused:

I killed the princes, I have no idea where the king is at

Do I have to kill Ludleth next? Kinda seems to be the implication...

The king is an optional boss that you can find if you go up the ladder after the Dancer and then head left.

But Lothric was the final Lord of Cinder and if you just want to beat the game, you have everything you need already.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

I still don't understand, is my game bugged? I caved and co-opped that boss fight and I only got a regular Heir of Fire soul for my trouble. Maybe one other thing but I don't remember what it was. I have no option to place anything on the topmost throne.

Check your key items.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Aldrich sounds like the worst fucker ever. He ate so many people and was such an rear end in a top hat he turned into loving goo. That's crazy.

His story is probably my favorite part of the game. Dude's just so awful and you spend so much time hunting him down that it's really satisfying to finally see what he looks like now and then murder him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh that reminds me I just saw this last night: apparently Wolnir only summons skeletons if you don't break the bridge in front of his room. I broke it every time without fail so I was really confused as to why when I was getting summoned for that fight he was bringing in skeletons constantly and I'd never seen it before.

Not totally sure it's true since I haven't actually tested it, but it at least seems to fit with my experience. Always break the bridge.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And you did indeed not break the bridge. I bet it's true, that's pretty cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You need to go back up to Irithyll, you missed a path and either one or two bosses.

Remember why you came to Irithyll in the first place? You haven't done that yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you want pyromancy to supplement a physical build in this game, it's decent, but not as good as say DS2 where I could put points only in attunement and have access to lots of different spells and use all of them for some nice extra damage.

I still used great chaos fire orb in DS3, but due to how it scales from magic stats, and the way the magic bar worked it meant that there wasn't much point in trying to use a variety. I think a pure pyromancy build could be a lot more fun and I might do that in the future.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it, I beat the game.

It's kinda nice for once to have a final boss that is (arguably) the hardest one in the game. That's never really happened before.

Admittedly I'm pretty sure my personal hardest boss was the Twins or the Champ but, the final one was very close.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

So... the King, in the Archdragon peak.

How do you deal with the attack in the first phase where he flies up and breathes fire straight down? It seems to have little wind up or warning and covers a huge area, plus you can't actually see where he is. Put on a dragoncrest shield and pray?

Also, the wind wall attack both he and the dragon do- how do?

Figuring out how to not get him to do this was the key to this fight for me.

You need to stay right in front of the dragon's head for as much of the fight as possible. Don't go underneath where it's safe. Don't run far away where it's safe. Stay right where all his normal attacks are going to try to hit you and dodge them. He'll never do that terrible flame attack.

Wagrid posted:

Get hit once then hammer the roll button once you get back up and you should survive it.

That attack loving sucks and that was the best counter I could come up with.

This is what I was doing originally but man I cannot imagine having been able to beat that fight by tanking that every time. I needed my estus for the final phase. Preventing it entirely is the way to go.

Mazerunner posted:

Ok so I got a strat for King of the Storm-

stand just in front of the dragon's head, not by his feet. You have a better view of what he's doing, and can move in to hit the head/neck when he attacks. If the dragon roars and flies up, start rolling backwards. I can beat this phase pretty easily now, but then I get immediately pasted on the second :sigh:

Oops I was too slow you figured it out already.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Huh, that's weird. A long-rear end time ago, did you get invaded by Yellowfinger Heysel in the Road of Sacrifices? According to the wiki, he drops it if you kill him and then the slug guy doesn't show up.

This can't be right. They both showed up for me and I ended up with two Xanthous Crowns

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hate that there's so much unique stuff from npc invaders, mostly because I keep not being embered and missing it. :(

He's not an invader

He's just there chilling by himself

E: oh though technically Harrow was wrong - he's not in the Catacombs, he's in the deepest part of the ruins in Smouldering Lake.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

He's an invader in the Catacombs, but he's physically in Smouldering Lake, so you can fight him twice. Not sure if he drops the ring in Smouldering Lake if you didn't fight him as an invader.

He does! I didn't even realize he invades in the Catacombs as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Day Two of Nameless King. I can get 25% of the way through phase two. My golly that's a difficult fight for straight melee. You need to be on point with dodging or you're hosed.

Are you wearing the Thunder Stoneplate ring? It adds a lot to survivability when you occasionally get tapped. With that on I actually found him substantially easier than another similar lategame boss: Champion Gundyr. Mostly because the Champ has all those fuckin punches, kicks, and shoulder slams that gently caress you up once you think you've dodged.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Aldrich seems like an exceedingly luck-based fight. If he spams arrows in the second phase you basically might as well give up.

You can outrun them

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I think they are confusing the doggoats with the actual four-armed satyr demons in Smouldering Lake. The doggoats and satyrs do seem to be related, since there's doggoats in SL and in some cases they are facing satyr husks covered in some kind of fungus.

I thought the satyrs were a latter type of demon, maybe the last kind of demon just like Firesage was the first.

Are you talking about the guys that throw/create fire balls? The other guys in the Demon Ruins are all Ghrus, they just have a lot of varieties. Some wear clothes and wield weapons and some are more feral (and then there's the kind that are weaponless but bipedal and are masters of martial arts and jumping) but they're all the same kind of creature.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

satyr, has 4 arms, is a demon

doggoat, has 2 arms, previously met 5000000 of them in the swamp

Yes alright we're on the same page. I think other people had been referring to the Ghrus (your doggoats) as satyrs which is why I was confused.

But I really wouldn't call those demons satyrs either.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 21, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

He referred to the second picture as 'doggoats' as opposed to the 'satyr' in the first picture. That's like, backwards at best.

There's satyrs that stand on 2 legs and stayrs that stand on 4 legs both in DS3, but that 4 armed owl-beast that throws fireballs isn't a satyr of any kind.

If we just call them the name the game gives them instead of making up our own there doesn't need to be any confusion...

They're like one of the few non humanoid enemies in the game that gets an explicit name from their weapon drops.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

killstealing posted:

gently caress those!!!

Agreed, they're up there on my list of deadliest enemies in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I tried to herd a Mimic into attacking that mob of assholes and was very disappointed when it ignored them all.

That mechanic feels a little undercooked.

You tried the wrong enemy. The red eyed crucifix guy in one of the cells can singlehandedly kill almost all of them if you let him out.