Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dandywalken posted:

Am I the Furtive Pygmy?

Probably not since him and his daughters all got killed in the first 2 games. I am hornily ready to be proven wrong, not in the thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else getting crashes on the Sage? Real pain since he's fairly easy otherwise.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Caidin posted:

The best thing about being a sunbro for the catacombs boss is the people doing it for the very first time, and that quick spazzy turn in place thing they do when Wolnir shows up so you know they jumped.

Is that boss supposed to be fought as soon as you can reach him?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The dual-swords church boss can burn in skinny ballet hell.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

kanonvandekempen posted:

Just beat Abyss watchers in Farron Keep. Is there anywhere I can find their armour? I really want that hat.

You can buy it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
No Twinblades is pretty bullshit, they'd rock with the pace and item breakage setup.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

I AM BRAWW posted:

Dark Souls lore has a lot of holes that aren't really clear but it's because the main point is the overall theme that stays the same. As long as you understand the theme then you get a basic story from it, but again it's mostly repetition. Age of Fire/Dark, 4 Lord Souls, Chosen Undead, Abyss, cycle repeating themselves over and over, etc.. A lot of it is up to player intepretation.

The DLC of Dark Souls 2 kind of experiments with a new answer thought, wherein the three crowns allow an undead to never go hollow. Meaning in a way, the DLC ending does kind of break the flow somehow. Anyway, I haven't even finished Dark Souls 3.

I think the special DS2 ending is more about your character escaping the flow, rejecting desire and reaching zen, so the universe is probably going to keep on turning. You're right that there's so many holes so it's not really worth trying to get perfect answers.Aldritch's soul talks about the deep Sea, there's a bunch of references to the painted world, all the trees, how everything is simultaneously decades and millenia after ds1, which kind of never happened? It's gonna take like 12 youtube videos to sort out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
My best purple invasion was when I helped a guy for a bit, and then he went to kill eygon near the settlement and I backstabbed him, then teamed up with the npc for the kill. The guilty pay the price.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Internet Kraken posted:

So now that I beat the game I have some lore questions;

-The Deep; was this in either of the previous games? It seems different from the abyss at least. I don't remember anything like it before.

One explanation is that it's a mistranslation of Abyss, but aldritch's boss soul makes reference to the deep Sea, so that's probably going to matter at some point.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

HaB posted:

Is there some requirement to join the Darkmoons? I found the covenant NPC, but the only option I get is "Do Nothing".

You need to do the darkmoon gesture you get from sirris.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Veg posted:

I just got this today because I love Bloodborne so much. I didnt platinum BB but I got the 3 endings, thats more effort than I put into most games.

I feel like From Software have ruined other action games for me. Nothing else that I play is as rewarding or keeps my attention.

I put in about 5 hours today, I just beat Vordt with my sick rear end rapier. :madmax:

Hows the remaster of 2? I read that its 60fps, that'll be smooth as poo poo.

It's pretty cool but I'd play ds1 first if you can.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Stargate posted:

So is there a good summary anywhere of the Pontiff/Aldrich lore? I'm not going to have access to the game for the next few months so I won't be able to do it myself.

In extremely basic terms The pontiff is an rear end in a top hat and Aldrich likes to eat people, then sees the future and decides eating gods will help somehow

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fereydun posted:

it does 50% more damage to hollows

she's zullie and waiting on alva, who died right in front of her cell and right out of view. both are ds2 callbacks because nobody can be happy nobody

It's probably both, it fits with ds2 and making Alva another crown-seeker.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They nailed the dragon fight for once though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
e: who cares

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 10, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You know what I really miss? Jumping under elevators to find cool secret areas. That just dropped from the sequels.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

3 has a ton of hidden mid-elevator areas though.

It's not the same if you're on top of the lift. Doesn't feel as suicidal.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I wish the Dancer was more approachable at lower power levels, so killing the lady and opening the path early was a more interesting option, like Sif. It's still technically possible, but the long combos kinda demand a long stamina bar. The game's got a pretty singular path so opening that up would help replay value a lot.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Uncle w Benefits posted:

She's meant to gate the content after her fight. That's the only reason shes so much harder the Vordt at the bottom of the stairs.

I understand the gating thing but it's a bit over the top. It's obscure enough that people aren't going to run into it on accident on their first runs. To be fair, you don't have to do it immediately, but it's frustrating without end-game gear and stats, due to how reflex-based the game is. I really prefer ds1's approach, where the Catacombs, backdoor Blighttown or even New Londo are nasty but manageable if you come prepared, or are ballsy enough to sprint and jump through, and you can get some cool poo poo early on.

Your Computer posted:

:psyboom: I would make a reply but I don't even know where I'd start.

Even if you kill her, the archives and everything past it is locked until you're "supposed" to go there so it doesn't even open up that much. DS3 is already very linear, and they decided to arbitrarily make it even more linear by making the one "sequence break" in the game nearly pointless :eng99:

I'd really like to know why they did this. Bloodborne's very linear but it's got more branches. Pretty much every ds3 run goes in the same order, it just depends how long you put off Sullivan, and the only diversions are the DLC, the Cursed Greatwood and the Demon Ruins.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Your Computer posted:

It's easily my least favorite part of DS3 :( Both previous games were way more open, and I was really hoping for a similar situation to DS1's Master Key. The linearity also means that a lot of gear, armor and spells are endgame-only, and while some might say that this encourages NG+ I say that DS3 is the game I'm least interested in NG+'ing since nothing changes but health/damage and you aren't progressing (weapon, levels) like in NG so it just feels pointless. The first DLC at least opened up for some new, interesting weapons early (only need to beat Vordt and Crystal Sage to get there) but then they went and stuck the second DLC behind Friede/before last boss.

Yeah I tried replaying DS3 to try out the DLCs but I can't be bothered actually going through them. Pretty much everything's frustrating or kinda dull, and it's just not interesting to fight a lot of the dudes. I got up to Yhorm and realised I wasn't enjoying myself fighting any of the many blender knights with giant combos and lots of mobility, or the mobs where the best way to go is just kite them with arrows or wait for the patrol to move. There's a decent stretch of the midgame where nearly every monster acts in pretty much the same way: Strings of vertical fast attacks that you back off from, then roll past and chain stagger. There isn't even a black knight equivalent, or a big slow ogre to contrast with. Without the idea of discovery I just got bored and uninstalled in favour of DS2, and am enjoying fighting stuff like Heide Knights or Hollow soldier ambushes way more than a pack of Pontiff knights chaining scimitar R2s.

IronicDongz posted:

IDK if you really need a long stamina bar, on this playthrough I'm doing now I think I only have 15 endurance still and I'm way past that.
The stamina issues just mean you don't get much of an opportunity after dodging the bigger attacks, which slows it down even more. When you can put out a decent couple of hits it's not a big deal, but early on you don't get much of an opportunity for dodging the big super attacks

quote:

AKA the fundamental gameplay of all dark souls games?

Precise dodging used to mean you figured out the bosses moveset and if you go to the right when it charges his sword doesn't reach that far round so you heal safely, but it changed to doing 2 rolls after a 5 frame sign from a dude covered in flowing strings in a 3-phase bossfight that takes 10 minutes each run and watch out for Pursuers

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 11, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He's arguing that it's not actually a fundamental part of the design, not that Gael should be that. Get over yourselves.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 11, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You can dash in early for rewards, although none of them are really that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How much does the carthus flamesword pyromancy benefit from upgraded flames and stats? I picked it up as basically a freebie for the knight start but I’m not entirely sure if I should invest in the flame.