Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Carl Seitan posted:

I've got an exam tomorrow in Clinical Neuro. If I do well, I'm buying DS3 with the season pass to celebrate. If I bomb the exam, I'll buy DS3 with the season pass to forget about my sorrow.

Good luck with your exam Carl Seitan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

White Phosphorus posted:

This weapon arts business worries me. Does this mean I HAVE to use shields now?

EDIT also LUCK? From loves introducing strange new mechanics that enrage fans. Looking forward to 30 pages of "LUCK ruined the series" chat.

SOMEone is a filthy casual who never played Demon's Souls. (Luck is not a new mechanic, it's in fact an old mechanic re-introduced)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vargs posted:

My favorite setup in DS2 was a light-armored dodgy character that power stanced a rapier and a falchion for its fun, useful, and varied moveset. Refused to ever use a shield or ranged weapon.

Anyone who's played the game have any advice if I want to go down a similar path in DS3? I was planning on focusing dex a bunch, but if it turns out that stat scaling is garbage like DS1 on release, or dex weapons are utter trash like DS2 on release, or something else of that nature, then maybe I should reconsider. Maybe dual wielding is terrible? Who knows. Is it worth shoving a bunch of points into attunement for focus points, or are you better off sticking to more traditional melee stats? What sorts of weapons are worth using and upgrading? Any tips like that would be cool.

As a general rule, basically anything is good in DS3, from early reports. However, it does not have DS2's dual wielding system, so dual wielding is usually relegated to specific dual wielding weaponry, special weapons that have a dual wielding moveset rather than a two-handed one. However, should you still want to, rapier is one of the more solid choices for traditional dual wielding due to having a parry instead of a lovely block when wielded off-hand.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thumbtacks posted:

alright now i can actually play the game

Also why would anyone summon mound makers or whatever the gently caress they're called? If you need a person to help you you'd summon a white phantom so I don't see why people wouldn't just immediately turn on the crazy purple ones. It's a great idea in theory, but it seems like it requires both sides to play along.

They're fun. I don't get anything in particular out of summoning them, but I like the mechanics of it, especially since both summoner and summonee know that mound maker is kinda pointless if you don't try to play along for a while. It's entertaining going through an area with eyes on your back, waiting to see when your ally will turn on you. Meanwhile, as the summonee, you need to maintain a facade of trustworthiness even if both of you know it's gonna end with one of you dead.

It doesn't have like... A purpose. But I find it super enjoyable. And either my game is bugging out with summon signs or a lot of other people agree with me because I always see white/gold summon signs laying around forever while purple ones get snatched up immediately.

Edit: Plus at one point I managed to have 2 purple spirits, a blue cop and an invader in my game at once. Now THAT was a fun clusterfuck, because the only two people who weren't aggro to each other were me and the blue cop, and the only person not aggro to the enemies was the invader. Was a really hectic fight that ended up going all across the map, with a lot of traps and running away.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 12, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's kind of amazing that the PvP continues to be fun even with the near-constant lag I have. It's not usually TOO bad, but it's CONSTANT. I've actually gotten weirdly good at lag parrying though. Helps that apparently no one expects someone to try parrying in laggy PvP scenarios and they seem to keep falling for it.

Also man using the Finger is a rush. Just invasion after invasion. I couldn't even sit down at the bonfire between fights!

Oh, by the way, I got the key to go find the full red eye orb but I have absolutely no loving clue where this key goes. Any tips? I wanna be able to invade again even though I usually just run face-first into full enemy parties.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man Oceiros is much less of a joke when he can fairly easily oneshot you and it takes you 1000 attacks to kill him. Trying to get the MLGS as early as possible is proving quite a trial, especially since the run to him is more annoying than the run to Dancer. But I will persevere for the sake of sweet sweet moonlight.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

I just hate everything about the Jailers. Even with a big, heavy weapon I can't seem to get through an encounter with more than one of them without just having a sliver of HP remaining, and then I just have to stand around and wait for it to come back and chug Estus and it's just tedious. The whole area is just really tedious.

I'd rather deal with Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne.

Huh? They go down so quick though. I don't think I've ever managed to lose more than like, half my lifebar from fighting them, and that was when I got cocky and tried fighting two at once in the final 8 jailor room.

By the way the trick to that room is to open the door to the crucified thing, aggro it outside, and let it murder the jailors for you as he's aggro to them. Since he's a prisoner, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It was hard fought but getting the MLGS super early is already paying off as people in early areas have no idea how to fight against it. The damage on it may be mediocre, but those beams are a lot of fun in PvP, even if they'll never hit a competent duelist. Great for punishing sipping though. I suppose I should make this character a sorcery caster too since I had to commit so many points to INT to wield this thing, and will likely put in more to improve its primary scaling.