Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Boss fights in this are weirdly draining in a way the series hasn't been before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also re: Fashion Souls.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

EVERYTHING IS IN THAT GODDAMNED SETTLEMENT :argh:

I like that area but the amount of stuff crammed into it is absurd. I dunno where to even begin looking for the ring. The only place I know I haven't been is the top of the tower occupied by whatever prick is firing arrows at me. No idea how to get up there either though.

You go from Dilapidated Bonfire, though the sewers like you were going to the Greatwood, but go past the two pot and saw guys, keep going that way, deal with the elevator "puzzle" and you'll be on the right track.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I AM THE BANK OF SCIMITARS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

I'm looking for the sunlight altar so I can turn in my 30 Medals. I have two directions I can go right now, past the Abysal Watcher fight there's a place, or I can keep going along Farron Keep Perimeter. Which way is the right way as far as eventually finding the sunlight altar?

Past the Watchers bonfire, but you've got a long way to go, it's very nearly the end of the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah, I was wondering where the bad, needless attrition area was, Irythill it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

gently caress that area, holy cow. Note, however, the Central-Church bonfire run is the worst part, it gets better after that. I managed to make it to the church bonfire by just suicide-running until I figured out where it was, then making a run for it. I don't think they can follow you into the church.

Yeah, it has a bunch of enemies that are basically "hope you have enough stamina/estus fucko!" I hate these areas.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

So how do I get to that woman in the cell near the abandoned cathedral? The gate doesn't open from the side of the cathedral, and I see no way down to the ravine which I assume connects to her cell

Rat sewer has another door, buy the key from the Handmaiden once you've given her the Mortician's ashes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I agree- along with the perma-poison/slow blighttown expy, this was probably the one area so far I've unambiguously not wanted to be in.

At least for me personally, part of the problem is how I want to play the game versus how the game wants to be played: I'm still stuck in a demon's/DS1 mindset, where I want to make a guy with no vigor, all damage/utility, and just learn enemies well enough that dodging becomes my health. That's fine and dandy with one guy, but 3 focuses so much more on group encounters that I'm starting to think it isn't sustainable.

Case in point in the area we're talking about, the few times I could get one of those knight guys alone, I could safely dodge his attacks and probably kill him 8-9 times out of 10. However, getting hit once was usually enough to kill me, and when most of your encounters are with packs of them, you're kinda out of luck.

I didn't realize how problematic my own build was until I watched a video of someone with like 30 vigor do this area, and he was just shrugging off 4-5 hits from those guys, popping an estus, and moving on.

Yeah I'm sure my weapon being under leveled for my progress isn't helping, and I suspect I'm under level in general for how much experimentation and PvP I've been doing, but I agree with you on all of this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

a cop posted:

I talked to the guy who gives you 5 cracked red eyes but then he disappeared...what triggers the one who gives you the full!?

Beat the tree boss, get a pale tongue, he'll be back.

Orv
May 4, 2011
These alligator rat dog things are retarded as hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Do you have to buy his armor back from Patches?

Yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has anyone tried a luck build yet? There seems to be a few neat items / weapons that would be fun, but on the other hand poison seems terrible and bleed feels like it takes forever to proc.

They're universally not worth it. Poison ticks too slowly and for too little, bleed takes an eternity and then several more years to proc on a player and most of the luck weapons are novelties at best.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh good, the Dancer's second blade effects tank my framerate in insane ways, that's probably not good for that fight.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:gonk: Freaky-rear end poo poo quota achieved.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

You found the spider enemies in Irithyll, didn't you?

Nah those are actually pretty neat, I mean the stretch armstrong babyhead gollums which is a hell of a thing I just typed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has anyone found any evidence to suggest Cracked Blue Eye Orbs/Blue Eye Orbs exist at all anymore? Are sinner invasions just not a thing at all anymore for bluecops?

Now that bluecops actually function both they and Darkmoon just function as invasion responders.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Which is dumb as hell.

No sinner invasion, two covenants that are completely identical in function that I would also be willing to bet will become dead as a doornail in a month...

I did not think they could screw up Covenants harder than they did DS1's but they have succeeded.

It's a step back from DS2, which is unbelievable.

Nah sorry, they're good, even if there is a duplicate covenant.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eh, he's kinda right. Bluecops are only barely better off than they were in DS2 and what activity they do have isn't going to last. With sinner invasions inexplicably nixed, there's nothing to fall back on.

And how many times did you actually get invaded by or invade sinners in 1? Anecdotal evidence and all but that system barely worked in the first place from what I saw.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Plenty, and there were also arenas as yet another option. Getting summoned to protect Way of the Blue folks was basically impossible, and I say that as one of the lucky few who actually managed to do it semi-regularly due to right place/right time, but at least there was something in place for when that didn't work. We've got nothing here :shrug:

I can understand that, but I guess I don't see what the end issue is. If you want non-consensual PvP, Watchdogs exists, and there will be new players and new runs to invade for months to come, and after that the new equivalent of bridge dueling will probably survive longer still. What am I missing that's the issue, I guess is what I'm asking.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

There's no way to explicitly target serial invaders in any of the options you presented.

Think about it. Who is most likely to be the most experienced and best set-up? Serial invaders.

I think that's discounting the dueling crowd a fair bit, but sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

40 and +4 which I guess might be why. Maybe I've gone past the level of usefulness to this area?

Considerably. You'll want to keep your reinforcement at +3 or less until you're pass Abyss Watchers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LibbyM posted:

In the cathedral of the deep, how do you get to the spot across the narrow way? The one that Patches lowers on you, I can't find any way to raise it back up.

The second shortcut you unlock back to Cleansing Chapel has an elevator next to it, follow that path.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Einwand posted:

Man those cathedral rafters are terrifying, and it's even required to reach one of the covenants.

They're cake compared to the AL rafters, not to mention it's even easier to get everyone up there to prat fall.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloodmobile posted:

Why are NPCs hostile to red phantoms half the time? Having to go through the level while getting chased by a conga line of enemies is really loving annoying. Especially when the odds are already stacked against you by default because you seem to get 1v2s about 90% of the time and they can both heal twice as much as you can.

With how much invading is going on anyone who is summoning regularly has fairly consistent access to a Seed of the Tree of Giants, which makes enemies target invaders equally as hosts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I got to snowland. About how far in the game is that do you think?

Right about half if you do everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What do you guys think of the world in DS3?

12 hours in and no signs of DkS1-esque looping and intertwined zones. It feels all too linear with the occasional branch that goes off into a dead-end. Don't get me wrong - great game, but it's a long A to B path instead of the tangled world of DS1 and flower design of DS2. It's the least well-made game world of the series in my personal view. The world is a step down from the prequel.

The interconnectivity is not the be all end all that people make it out to be, and expecting them to put that insane level of effort into each game is only going to disappoint you. It's a very well made world even if it doesn't pretzel itself forever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hra Mormo posted:

Honestly to me a far bigger deal always was reaching a vista and being able to see a bunch of weird poo poo and places everywhere, then going there. The interconnectivity, while pretty sweet, ultimately boiled down to shortcuts to alleviate the issue of sparse bonfires and no warping (until later). The "oh I see" experience of looping around often got drowned out by the "where's my loving shortcut already, FROM?! gently caress!" experience. Then again, I wouldn't mind getting that feeling back. The feeling of isolation when you pushed on into the unknown was my favourite part of the first Dark Souls, and has been sorely lacking ever since.

There is a vista that you'll reach right at the start of the home stretch that will give you such a boner, or make you one, if necessary.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Why is the invisible ring hot poo poo now anyway? I thought most people called it stupid back in dark souls 2.

It's not better now, it's the cool factor.

Einwand posted:

I cannot for the life of me get Patches to show up in the firelink shrine. Everything I've read online says that if you miss him in the cathedral, beating the deacons/abyss watchers he'll just show up on his own.

You need to buy the tower key. If you've already done all that, just go back up the tower.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

What level are most people after the watchers? I'm only level 30 with a +4 weapon and seeing like zero summon signs.

Most people seem to be in their mid-40s for Catacombs which was way higher than I did it, and I seem to have kept behind the curve since then.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daynab posted:

Am I missing something with this cathedral covenant bonfire? I pulled the lever which let me walk across the cathedral on the thin grate and it leads to be able to open up the big double doors at the top but... why? Is there anything else or was that a dead end and I have to go back down from the previous bonfire?

There's an elevator to the right of those doors that shortcuts you if from the second shortcut door from Cleaning Chapel. It's from Cleansing Chapel straight to the boss.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daynab posted:

It says the lever wont budge, do I have to get to it from below?

Yeah you do, sorry.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

is there a way to send greirat to ice land without him getting killed? I liked him a lot, I wish I didn't let him go :smith:

If you do Siegward's quest line and don't tell Patches he'll show back up after Pontiff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm at 11/+8 on estus and I'm mopping up the last four bosses, I've missed some obviously but I can't begin to think of where.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think the trigger for her showing up the second time is pretty obscure; for me it was after meeting the Old Wolf of Farron and picking up the umbral ash from the hidden wall near him that lets you buy titanite shards.

It might not be something specific but a time/event thing?

May also have had something to do with me meeting Anri and Horace again, this time at Firelink which was after the Deacons.

It's the ash from the Old Wolf bonfire, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

I've never played a dark souls game before but I heard the multiplayer on this game is unlike any other game before it. Can I just go around collecting ears?

Fairly early even, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

So I got summoned to help with a boss and the host was wearing the Dancer of the Boreal Valley armor, but I have no idea where they got it from. Any ideas?

Handmaiden sells it after beating her, might need certain ashes but I don't think so.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

Just beat Deacons of the Deep and then met Patches. Is there a way for me to raise the wall he tricks you with? Or is that later?

From the Cleansing Chapel bonfire if you've unlocked the second shortcut take the elevator next to it and follow that path.

plape tickler posted:

Where is Siegward's armor? I know I've seen it somewhere.

Patches sells it once you get to the Cleansing Chapel bonfire, but if you want to keep doing his story you won't be able to keep it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grem posted:

Os anyone else having trouble getting two co op allies in certain areas? The Crystal Sage and Abyss Watchers specifically.

Level and reinforcement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

How do you use the shriving stones?

They're an infusement, last one in the grid.