Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So Champion Gunder is a hell of a "hope you've been practicing your parry" test.

I've gotten pretty good in the first phase, but he's just so relentless in the second phase. Never have a chance to step back and chug an estus. Where's a blunderbuss when you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Parried Champion Gundyr to death yesterday. Broke the cycle of "get poo poo beaten out of you, use estus, get poo poo beaten out of you before you can move" long enough to get into a cycle of parrying.

All the practice I got from Gundyr persuaded me to get one of the parry shields. I'd been trying to avoid spoiling where stuff was, but I'd apparently missed the imprisoned merchant who sells the buckler right back at the start of the game. Not looking stuff up has meant I've broken pretty much every npc questline. Oops?

Buckler's proven real useful during PVP, though there's been a bit of trial and error with what I can and can't parry. With the hornet ring, it's pretty useful for speedily finishing fights rather than playing "keep away and drink estus". Leads to some fantastic moments. Parrying and jamming my sword into the host, with their phantom buddies stuck there watching them die. Catching people off-guard who think they've got me stunlocked with sword slashes and turning the tables.

What's a good SL to mess around in the Anor Londo area with? Both for Aldrich Faithful and for normal invasions? Been chilling at SL57 for ages now.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Yesterday evening powered through the last third of the game. I've been soloing bosses since the pontiff because of the guy here who waxed lyrical about how great the pontiff is, and I kinda missed that by summoning help for him and a few other early bosses without even trying them solo. Not really satisfying.

Princes, dragonslayer and Nameless King all last night. Still SL 57, something like 27 dex and vigor.

Didn't have any problem with the first phase of the nameless king, every attack was really slow with an obvious buildup that you could just roll to avoid. Mostly stood in front and to the left of the dragon's head so I could see what was coming. It was my 5th attempt before it did the "fly up and breathe down" attack, also the first time I died before the 2nd phase. I'm guessing you've got to get right under its feet to trigger that? Just run back when it flies up worked from then on. Roll ring is invaluable.

Second phase was more of a learning curve though ow. So glad he's right next to the bonfire. He's got a lot of attacks which start the same but finish differently, with little pauses before the final attack to gently caress with you and make you think he's finished. Killed him with the irilyth rapier and grass shield. Shield was out to speed up my 1-handed attacks, not for blocking. Rolling everywhere is yet again a life saver.

Ended up killing him unembered because I ran out of embers. A lot of these bosses (Champ Gundyr, Dragonslayer, NK) you keep dying until you learn all their new tricks, then you steamroll them. I had no estus flasks left and was one hit from death.

I think Gundyr and NK are tied for how much I swore and slammed my hands down in disbelief. The former taught me parrying, and the latter gave me a lot of practice rolling.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Since Aldritch faithful has no consequences, I'm steadily slippping into sillier builds. Currently running around as a full dragon with a buckler and roll ring.

Bumped into the same dragon faithful buddy twice so far, they were rocking the NK halberd. We tore poo poo up.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
And it means running around wearing nothing like a nutcase isn't too punishing.

Does the NG you're in matter when it comes to matchmaking? If I keep my SL the same and go to NG+1 is that going mess up being summoned/invading?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
But then I can't be a weirdly skinny dragon

Only thing I really have to worry about is a big weapon parry/backstab. Vigor is a good investment.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So final boss killed me a lot. A LOT. And I thought Champ and NK part 2 were hard.

However now I am the final boss running around with his sword and armor. Really like his sword, if they're using a parryable weapon then at some stage I'll parry them and probably kill them. If they're parrying then I'll switch to 2handed. People who parry seem to keep trying to parry when it's two-handed, I guess it does look quite small. I'll take the free hits I suppose. The flame buff/smash has a pretty impressive range and duration.

Bumming around Smouldering Lake, invaded a group of 4 named after the mario characters. Couldn't get a good look due to 4 people chasing me, but I think they were geared up to be mario characters as well. With rapiers. Managed to get far enough away to black crystal outta there and promptly reinvaded them. Ran around for another few minutes looking for any opening, eventually parried Mario as a complete fluke and killed him. Turns out he was the host.

Woulda felt bad for crashing the party if they weren't so relentless at jumping 1 guy all at once christ. Guess I won't make that highlight reel.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The best thing about Champ Gundyr is he's one of those great bosses you can parry and riposte a whole bunch.