Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Boy I'm worried. I use an AMD radeon r9 200 series graphics card and I have no clue if that can handle highish settings. I could play DS2 at near max settings but I have no idea. I don't want to be plagued by technical issues, so I hope that I have enough.

Either way, I am loving pumped for tomorrow. I am so loving ready to die.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Did my homework and my fears have been calmed. It seems that my Radeon R9 270x 2GB card should be able to handle 60fps at near high settings, but not at max. Worst case scenario I could just lower the framerate to 30 and have no trouble at all. 60 is nice, but not at all necessary for me to have a good time.

Besides that, I'll bet that once Durante does whatever it is he always does I will be able to make up for any slack that my gpu can't handle.

So in 3 hours, I should be having a great time!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I've decided I am going to play this offline when I start, like I did with Bloodborne and DS2. I like being able to take it slow without people's specters causing me to jump out of my chair because I think there's a ghost attacking me every time I see one.

I also want to be able to enjoy a new blind play-through without being terrified of invaders.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are literally in DS2 named as they were. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2, which explains a bit.

Also "so obscure" in the souls series? :v: Par for the course. The story and setting are always obscure, nothing is explicit. But named great lord souls is pretty drat explicit, as much as any other part of the story or setting.

The names don't necessarily mean it is the same location. Those souls are portable and can be given from one to another and even split. Dranglake is still possibly a different location.

But whatever, I don't care too much, since it makes little difference in the end.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Please play online and join the Way of the Blue. I desperately want to protect people like you from the dickwraith hordes. :911:

Protect? I can protect myself from the Dickwraiths quite well. It's just that I scare easily.

I also have dark memories of Belfry Luna back during the early months of Darksouls 2.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

its happening! Just 10 minutes for the game to unpack!

Time to die! Whoooooo!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

The Walrus posted:

this is amazing. terrible but amazing. the real dark souls starts when you click install

e: restarting fixed it tho. its a weird disk write issue, not bandwidth related

Edit: gently caress, too slow.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Just beat an evil oak tree boss. Fucker killed me 20 times, I swear. I ate its soul out of spite. I now have no clue where to go.

In the meantime, the search continues for my beloved winged spear (or just a really good spear). The halberd has been great so far, but I long for my old friend.

I have also noticed that new armor is hard to come by. Any one know of some good finds?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Well I'm stumped. I don't know how to get past the giants in the Cathedral of the Deep. I know that you can raise walls to trap them but they won't move from their spot no matter how many arrows and firebombs I use. They won't follow me if I run up to them and run away. I don't know how I am supposed to get them into the spot. I could roll past one of them and succeed about 50% of the time, but I don't want to have to keep doing that. The other one blocks a door and I will die if I try to open it. They also have too much health for me to kill with arrows as well. Is there a secret?

Hmm. Hmmmmm.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Are you an archer only? If not then just stand between their feet and hit them.

That's it? There's no other option? loving Christ...

FutonForensic posted:

Fighting the Cathedral 2-Hander Knights, I can't believe anyone thought the Black Knights from DS1 were bullshit

Everything in this game makes Black Knights look easy to me.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Seriously though. How do you get past the giants in the cathedral? I'm not stupid (at least not all of the time). I am not going to stand under its feet and plink away forever. What's the actual solution?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

So I finally got my beloved winged spear. It feels so good to be reunited after all this time. Now I have the problem of not having enough titanite shards. Nothing drops them consistently, and nobody is selling them.
What has a high chance of giving me the titanite? And where do I get sharp gems?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

So today I finished up Cathedral of the Deep. Ho-lee-poo poo that place is the devil. I know that this is Dark Souls but holy poo poo. I would say that 80% of my deaths up until now came from that monstrosity. Thankfully From was merciful on the boss for that place. And then I had a bad time trying to figure out how to catch up to everyone's favorite menace so I could buy poo poo from him.

After being reunited with my favorite spear, I took a well deserved break and went back to the forest, where I found the poison swamp. I was almost disappointed that it didn't have the Blighttown brand scaffolding that is usually present in those areas.

Then I met an old friend by which I mean a Black Knight who is definitely not my friend, who killed me. Then I beat my first lord of cinder. I really liked the Abyss Watchers. The first part of the fight was neat but thankfully brief, and the second phase was brutal but really fun. I won on my third attempt.

Love this game.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Eat a load, Nuggan! I did that poo poo offline and it was a nightmare. I went from hollow-12 to hollow-49 in that place. Half of which happened while I was trying to figure out how to get to Patches.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I've noticed that nearly every boss in this game are harder than nearly all of the bosses in all of the previous games. I love this game but it seems that most of the bosses are loving speed demons with huge combo attacks. I used to think Fume Knight and Artorias were tough but then I met Pontiff Sullyvahn and Jesus Christ that guy is loving Satan on speed in the first phase. Everything is a huge combo with multiple differently timed swings or a quick-fired long ranged stab and I am too scared to approach him because he can't be stunned and I'll get caught in his tornado of pain. I'd say he's nearly as hard as Ludwig. Thankfully he calms the gently caress down in his second phase but by then my nerves are shattered and I panic. I beat him on my 20th or so attempt.

I feel like this game went a little too far on making bosses difficult through speed rather than timing or whatever. In DS1 the only bosses remotely as fast as PS were Artorias, Manus, and maybe Super Ornstein.

I still love this game but I'm getting really fatigued by the bosses all being Bloodborne bosses. I miss having slower bosses with unique ways of being challenging without having giant attack combos.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I am still in awe of how insanely difficult Pontiff Sulyvahn is. He's as fast and aggressive as Orphan of Kos and has a lot of health. Why is this game so focused on speed?

And yet I can't stop playing it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Just beat both Dragonslayer Armor and King Oceros before getting kicked in the head by the Champ, who is now my favorite boss.

Also, I saw in a loading screen that the Drakeblood armor is somewhere in this game. I went to the place where you are supposed to find it but it wasn't there. I heard that it has something to do with a quest involving the crestfallen guy, but I have no clue if I can even do that now.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

DkS2 Is referenced less directly than DkS1. The lords all having thrones seems to be related to the same kind of throne Vendrick wanted so badly, since the throne of want seems to be related to the bonfires just like the Lord's thrones.

Yhorm the Giant is the same kind of giant seen in DkS2, even though he seems to have eyes when you fight him, he is still made from some kind of wood and has the empty pit for a face.

In the Profaned Capital, you can find Laddersmith Giligan and a large number of ladders that he built before dying.

You are invaded by both Creighton the Wanderer and Alva.

The fact that locations from Darksouls 1 are present and locations from Darksouls 2 are not, in my opinion, validates my long held belief that Drangleic was never in the same location as Lordran.

Speaking of locations, I loved the Kiln of the First Flame. I loved seeing all the towers and stuff tumbling into the void below. Such a cool place, it's a shame you don't get to see more.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Anyone here know how to lock the game at 30 fps? Im a big loser who doesn't have the best GPU and poo poo, so while I can certainly run the game, I can't run it at a consistent 60 fps. I am kinda tired of the framerate bouncing back and forth between 60 and 40 and everything in between. I figure that if I could lock it at 30 it would be much more pleasant to play.

I wish locking frame rates was an option in the settings of all games.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Im doing the first DLC. Anyone got any pro-tips on how to handle Wolf-Hell. I can sprint through it and only die sometimes, but it isn't very efficient for trying to get back to the tower with all the giant vikings. I don't like Wolf-Hell, its not a good time.

Ariendel is like the evil Bob Ross. He paints a picture of Alaska but fills it with rear end in a top hat birdmen and wolf-swarms instead of happy trees and happy clouds. What a prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

To me dark souls lore is just the player showing up very late to a party. poo poo went downhill centuries ago and when you arrive everyone is dead or crazy. Economy is in the shitter, undead are working without pay, towns falling into sinkholes, you got rats in people's attics and nobody's home to fix it. The dead can't afford graves, living in the streets instead, killing people and taking their souls. They got demons running the asylum, and people are climbing around on the rafters at the cathedrals.

Who's gonna fix this? Who's gonna make Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric great again? The lords abandoned their thrones, the gods are nowhere to be found and kill anyone who finds them, the pope is a scary man who's selling out to the poop-lord. It's up to you I guess?

Or in other words: "I don't know what's going on here, but I'm gonna kill poo poo and take souls until I figure something out."

Followed by many deaths. Many, many deaths.