Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Abyss Watchers are awesome. I started getting attacked by another one of them and was all "Oh poo poo, not this again", and then they started attacking each other and I was like holy poo poo this is the best.

Currently I'm fighting Giant Skeleton King-man and his array of skeletinis. I am getting murdered very much. It is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Just going off the first few bosses, I do feel like they've made some concessions to people who feel overwhelmed by multiple mobs. With Abyss Watchers, you have the boss literally fighting each other. With King Skeleton, the mobs he summons also get affected by his generous AOE attacks. I like it.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Dezztroy posted:

Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

Catacombs are better than the DS1 sewers, though. And Road of Sacrifices is swampy and mucky but I thought it worked out well with the Dark Fantasy aesthetic. I dunno, maybe I just don't have high standards :D

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also, it does not seem to have taken me long to get back to my usual habit of grass-crest shield and two-handing my weapons. Probably accounts for at least a few deaths, but whatever, I WILL BECOME DODGE MASTER.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

turtlecrunch posted:

Things to Add to Improve the Game With the DLC:
+ Rusted Iron Ring
+ Armor of Favor
+ Channeler's Trident
+ Arena covenant, with duel or fightclub options, no sippies allowed
+ More sorceries? :haw:
+ More everything
+ Cat NPC

+Option to give Cat NPC your armor for them to wear in tiny cat-form.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So how do I get to Cathedral of the Deep? I just killed Skeleton Guy and Tree Dude and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Malcolm XML posted:

Tree boss coop owns

He's just a loving pain to take down normally but absolutely trivial with 2 people

I took him down on my first hit, which is :smuggo: but I did just barely do it by the skin of my teeth (it may have also been that I took out skeleton dude first so I may have been overleveled). Tree telegraphs its moves pretty well, and the moves don't hit too too hard. Just clear the playing field of mobs and all that and it's pretty straightforward, aside from the weird discomfort of destroying it by whacking at the fungus eggs between its legs.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Beeez posted:

Thanks guys. It's not really about being broke or not as I have Gamefly, so if DS3 is the best for beginners then that's what I'd do, but otherwise I was thinking Dark Souls 1 seemed like a good start point. However, unless being a magic user is advised for a total beginner who doesn't usually play super hard games, I'm more inclined to devote a lot of my time to melee, I usually prefer that in games with magic acting supplementary.

I've always done melee for Dark Souls. Magic is fun but it lacks the tactile in-your-face thrill of beating a thing to death with cold steel (and just as often getting beaten to death with cold steel). Generally I start from a sword-and-shield set-up then move on to two handing and rolling everywhere.

Dark Souls 3 does seem to be more accessible for beginners in some ways, but in others not so much. I, for example, think the first boss of Dark Souls III, the "tutorial" boss, is quite a bit harder than the tutorial boss for DS1. He actually reminded me more than a bit of a boss in the difficult DLC for DS1. And combat is more fast-paced and levels more sprawling than they were in DS1.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is Undead Settlement supposed to be the Dark Soul's Deep South? Because I'm getting a strong hillbilly horror vibe from it.

It reminds me a lot of Bloodborne's Settlements.

Actually, come to think of it, a lot of levels in Dark Souls reminds me of Bloodborne. I guess that's because they're both next-gen so it's easier to make big sprawling cityscapes.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
e: Double post. My bad.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Einwand posted:

You can get a third phantom by using an item from the shrine maiden, dried knuckles or something. I think it also increases your priority for invasions and lets up to two phantoms invade at once?

What sort of weapons are people using anyways, I've been using the Lothric long spear, and I don't think I've seen a single other person with anything but a sword and one or two axes/clubs.

Starting axe, two-handed, and grass crest shield. It gets the job done and it does really well at breaking poise. I tried my hand at the dual-wielding stuff but they can't break worth poo poo, at least from what I've tried.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Your Computer posted:

Is there any point to the cathedral rafters other than getting your poo poo rocked y/n?

To teach you the virtue of humility and knock a few years off of purgatory.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Just killed the Deacons of the Deep. Holy gently caress they are doing multi-mob bosses right.. I feel like more of the bosses in general have a lot more personality to them than in previous Souls games.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I did it Fargin, and you can do it, too. I believe in you!

It might be too early to tell, but I think I may be digging Dark Souls III more than Dark Souls I. It's just a more polished experience overall, the world feels more cohesive, the combat is more fluid, the graphics are prettier. It's hard to imagine going back to DS1 after this. How are others feeling?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oh man, and here I thought New Game Plus wouldn't have much in the way of multiplayer!

I was in Irithyl of the Boreal Valley. I just crossed the bridge, and as soon as I pass the barrier I get invaded. Because I am nothing if not whimsical, I start off laying down and soon the invading spirit joins me. Then we both do a few more gestures and play around a bit and while that's happening I summon more dark spirits because what the hell. Then he attacks, we fight, and I kill him, and just as I do one of the other dark spirits I summoned show up. So we play around with gestures for a while more. Then the other dark spirit arrives and I play around with him two. Then the two dark spirits start dueling each other, and while they're dueling each other I run around them like some maniac referee. One of them kills the other, and while the survivor does some kneeling gesture, I get around and stab his weakened rear end in the back, killing him.

I guess that counts as me taking on three guys at once? :D

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

turtlecrunch posted:

The ice knights are super fun to fight with the slow as gently caress, 2-inch-range fist weapons of DARK SOULS III.

Stick with the shortsword. I used it after starting with a big war axe and now I swear by it. It's just so fast and versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Lester Shy posted:

For some reason, whenever I warp to a different area now, I get the four little status meters (poison, bleed, frostbite, whatever) popping up on my screen for a few seconds. They all start off slightly full and tick down within seconds of spawning, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Are you wearing rings that boost resistances or other stats?