Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I cannot wait to play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In general terms, are there fun utility pyromancies? DS2 had a few (warmth, flash sweat, fire weapon), but utility stuff has always mainly been Sorc. and Miracles. I've been hoping that they gave pyromancy some stuff to do that's not just damage.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
DEX / Pyro is going to be my first build, simply because a quick weapon and a decent ranged attack is the most Bloodborne-like build possible.

Edit: Plus having a flaming hand that shoots fire and a burning katana will look impossibly badass.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

call over is king of gestures with toast being a close second

please let me know if there's one even better but i doubt it

I like doing "Collapse" in front of the host after we beat a boss.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need a hint. Just beat Deacons. Where should I go next? Their boss room appears to be a dead end.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheQat posted:

go back to the halfway fortress bonfire and bear right instead of left in the swamp just after that bonfire. you'll get to a poisonous swamp

Ah, had a feeling it might be that. Sort of wish I'd checked my gut instead of asking first. Thanks, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea I only played a little bit of Demon's Souls. I'm going to go back and play that after finishing DS3. I wonder if I'll just breeze through it now.

It's really easy outside of 1 or 2 areas, and 1 or 2 bosses. The dodge mechanics are a bit different, and you have less mobility than in DS3, but if you know the basics of the Souls formula, then you can pretty easily kill most bosses on your first try.

Still a good game though, definitely worth playing if you like the series.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreatGreen posted:

Good god how are you supposed to fight that thing on the bridge at the beginning of Ithryll of the Boreal Valley?

Hit it in the rear end until it dies while dodging its attacks. The reward is cool.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does the damage-increases-per-hit effect of Carthus Beacon stack with the Pontif Eye?

Substandard posted:

I just wanted to say that you can run away from the thing and it will not follow past the end of the bridge. It shows up again later, but I had an easier time killing it towards the end of the area.

Maybe it's just because I've put hundreds of hours into Bloodborne, but I didn't find it hard at all. It's really just Watchdog, but without a phase two.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, Pontif is hard. I've been co-oping to try and get his moves down, and I've only had one party get him close to being dead. IDK if I'm too low a level, or what, but he wrecks me constantly 1-on-1 (well, in the 3 or 4 matches I've had). I think the secret is dodging into his attacks, except the ones where that doesn't work, and I'm suddenly at half health. I'll try it again tomorrow.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If an NPC's armor shows up in a vendor, does that mean I've failed their quest, and they're now dead?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I took away my rings to make me more agile. The ring I have don't help. I haven't found other estus shards. I have high endurance so I can't get hit. It has helped me in most boss battles, especially Yhorn.

I'll try investing more into vitality and dexterity.

Just as a note, your current equip load may as well be 69.9% for as much difference as it's making. You only get the fastest roll speed under 30%, and differences in between don't effect anything (that I'm aware of). That being said, medium roll is really good in this game, so you should just equip whatever you want as long as you're 70 or under.

The current tiers are

0 - 30
30.1 to 70
70.1 to 100

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babe Magnet posted:

People really need to stop making GBS threads themselves when someone invades. I can guarantee you I won't be the hardest fight in the level you're in, and I'm not even counting the boss. But no, the second someone gets invaded it's Phantom Has Been Summoned, Phantom Has Been Summoned, blah blah Blue Spirit Concord blah blah and then it's four guys holding down the block button huddled around the bonfire until I black crystal out.

I'd imagine it's probably because ember is a somewhat limited resource. Especially if you're not very good, and need co-op to beat a boss in the first place. Therefore, someone killing you while you're embered is a big setback, and getting an ember for killing them is a huge score. You're going to do everything you can to survive, and not try to have fun by challenging yourself against a stranger.

edit: that's a guess anyway, I'm soloing the game, and will fight whatever invader wants to challenge me (they'll probably win, since I suck at PVP).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be honest, BB's bosses and combat were a lot more fun and interesting to me, even though DS3's are a close second. DS3 blows BB out of the water in terms of exploration, however.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

I wouldn't even mind all invasions being 1v2 or 1v3 if running away and drinking estus wasn't so effective.

A great thing about Bloodborne was that even an un-upgraded gun with no BLT investment could punish a person out of vialing if you were good. I'm having problems getting the same thing going with pyro, since the cast is sort of slow.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LoG posted:

What's the in joke for the thread title?

Like most thread titles in games, it's people without a sense of humor trying to be funny.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the official guide is total poo poo, then? I was sort of hoping to do a completionist run without having a wiki open next to me, and a paper guide seems appealing, but the reviews for it are terrible.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Filthy Hans posted:

Join the Aldrich Hunters, I'm lvl 81 with +9 weapons and I got 10 human dregs in under an hour, tons of fun. You don't need to orb invade, just have the badge on and stand around in Anor Londo.

Adding on to that, Aldrich hunters have really favorable setups for the invaders. You still have to deal with a shitload of healing, but there're fewer phantoms (because the run to the boss is very, very long), and the invaders are so active that you just have to kill time to even up the stakes by pulling a fellow invader. Plus there's a shitload of environmental stuff in your favor.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sinh is an awesome fight, even if a lot of the difficulty comes from the bugged durability system making it so that most weapons won't last the entire fight.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bosses feel a lot easier than Bloodborne. So far nothing has challenged me as much as the first time I fought Rom, or the secret end-boss, or any of the DLC fights. I'm wondering if maybe it's because the combat is tuned around sword and board stuff, so having the ability to time rolls takes away a lot of the difficulty.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The bosses are very scaled. Once you collect the three lord souls the bossfights go from puzzle/light action fights to "gently caress your poo poo" fights

Yeah, I'm just past Dragonslayer, and I still haven't really felt challenged at all. I put like a few dozen attempts into Orphan, and the most I've had to do so far is 5 or 6. The PVE is definitely harder, though, which is cool.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, how many souls games have you played since you keep comparing to BB? Your first souls game will always be your hardest, and if you started with BB that will always be your benchmark.

I've played all of them several times over, starting with DS1 back when Prepare to Die was released. I feel like I have a pretty decent idea of difficulty since I've played so much, and I'm pretty confident that this one's bosses are pretty easy, comparatively.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

Nah, this game easily has the hardest bosses overall.

I hope I run into them at some point, because they've all been easy so far.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake, and Catacombs are all excellent, you mouth breathers.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GulagDolls posted:

sometimes. if you were good you could parry heals fairly reliably and if that happened the other person was hosed. unless you were pvping at lower levels in which case ripostes were trivial. in general pvping at lower levels was just a horrible slog.

I sort of agree, but invading in the woods was pretty fun. Skip to about 2:30 in this vid for a fun time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqEydfpWkV0

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Gorp posted:

Unlike hackers, who at least know that they're deplorable pieces of human garbage, people who put down white summon signs, summoners, and bluebros are worse. The hacker at least knows he doing something wrong, but the greatest sin of these players is the banality of their evil, they don't know they're Satan. They rob themselves of any opportunity to develop while actively destroying the invaders ability to develop as well and inhibit the feeling of satisfaction that should come alongside a job well done.

Blue brothers are the worst example of this, where they are guaranteed a 2v1 where their partner has the benefit of a full estus flask. These people hate challenge, hate fun and hate online interaction. The rewards for the covenant are nothing, killing the invader costs them nothing, the satisfaction of maintaining the status quo should be none. Blue phantoms are shells of men and women who have forsaken rationality and act outside of any interest they could possibly have. The single plausible reason to play bluebros is because they are "fun", which is a subjective argument unfit to platform a case on. "Look at me, I kick dogs i meet on the street because its fun - it's the only reason. I don't like thinking!" is the only possible way to profile these garbage monsters.

Red phantoms have integrity, and the skill forged only by going up against constant 3v1's and developing skill as a result of that. They are the only worthwhile people in the entire dark souls community. If you summon people just to walk around the stage and have a set of bouncers (as opposed to summoning only for a boss) you are actively destroying the community rather than building it. Stop being you, immediately.

Calm down, Beavis.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

School Nickname posted:

Holy poo poo I start a new game to test out the lucky bleeder build. It's loving ridiculous, you can get the spear+greatshield lothric knights to run out of stamina so they can be critted. I soloed Vordt easily. But in order to be Kindled I white phantom to help a newbie.

Only he wants me to help him versus the Dancer of the Boreal Valley. :stare: I didn't even know that was possible.

Yep, it's a skip they built into the game. It's pretty easy to figure out how to trigger, if you want to give it a go. I don't think it really changes anything except the obvious, small content lock-out.

I wonder if he has no idea that's not the next boss? Someone doing a low level run should realize that summoning a phantom in that level range is just going to make the boss harder and offer no possible benefit.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
NK and Princes were both the most challenging bosses I've fought so far, and I really liked taking them both down solo. That's the sort of challenge I've been wanting, although Ludwig and Orphan were still way harder fights. Very rewarding though, to finally master the dodge timing and narrowly get victories on both.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cirofren posted:

Game is full of players who don't want a fair fight and just frustrate their opponents.

:darksouls:

Most players need phantoms to make any sort of progress in the game, and have no interest in losing a scarce resource that's their only real way to beat bosses (ember). They don't see invasions as fun, they see them as a roadblock to ever making progress. I don't like it either, but it's understandable given the nature of the game and the influx of new, unskilled players.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Any kind of successful co-op play rewards you with an ember(it also embers you if you're not already) so they're not scarce at all.

How many successful co-op attempts do you think a bad player is getting versus successes? Their scarcity is a function of your skill.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nakar posted:

Also come on guys the age to come is the age of Bloodborne, it's all there in the lore. Aldrich dreams of a bottomless sea. A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea. Ah, Kos, or some say... Aldrich. Grant our Fire Keepers eyes.

That's what I think, too. Although that kinda complicates Marvelous Chester. I'm hoping for more direct BB tie-ins in the DLC.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I take a weapon to +2 and still get hits for the auto-summon covenants? My +1 raw Longsword is pretty good, but I'd like an additional 10% damage if I could. I'm also considering putting in another 5 levels or so, up to 25. Is that within range for Farron?

Unrelated, but something that I'm not 100% clear on: the four lords of cinder were all dead and buried at some point, right? If so, then they were resurrected in an effort to link the fire, realized that they didn't want to be kindling, and hauled rear end from Firelink to their respective areas that were important to them in life, but have all gone to poo poo in death?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm phantoming for the dancer; does her grab not actually do damage? It hasn't hurt me or anyone else she's picked up with it.

I believe you can wriggle out of it, and there's no damage. Once she starts the stab animation though you're in for pain.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've found the perfect, most satisfying revenge for someone who's bad enough at the game to summon a gank squad. Sunbro in front of a boss door or at a bonfire and just don't help. Perfectly roll through the enemies and bosses while mocking your host and attacking them. It really makes you feel better after one gank squad after another.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jastiger posted:

Yeah it just seems all reward for the red with all risk for the host. If you want invasions fine, but you should get something for winning.

You get to play the easy mode of the game, which doesn't seem like any sort of prize IMO, but if you want to have three strangers walk you through the game, then you need to pay for the privilege.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand phantoms who drop signs at bonfires. Do they just really love ganking invaders that much? If someone is summoning you at a bonfire, then I can't imagine they're probabilistically good enough to get you a boss win before they die, and even then you're wasting a shitload of resources getting to that point.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So what's the deal with the tall, spindly ghost knights you see in Irythyl? I don't recall what lore explains why there are weird ghosts

Good question. My thinking is that they could be a DLC hook that hasn't been implemented yet, but was left in as a teaser.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Are those any good btw? I skipped them.

It seems cool for gimmicky invading that makes new players poo poo their pants because of how cool the attacks look, but functionally they seem super slow and useless. You'd also have to do a low level run to Archdragon.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Silly me thinking this extremely linear game wouldn't have its quests break when you dare to go outside to intended path in the few cases it lets you :geno:

Do you ever stop complaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my guy at level 90 has 30/30 fth int, and can use a lot of fun magic (although that's mostly for fooling around and not really my damage source) while dealing decent endgame damage with a chaos infused weapon. i'm up to 460 with a chaos uchi, which i feel like is pretty respectable, and lets me deal seemingly on par damage to the endgame stuff.