Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Discounting the off chance that it's not in the game, how is the Moonlight Great Sword this time around? My second run is always a mad dash straight to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
At least me and my friends have stayed dark. On DS 2 release day we all joined the Covenant of Champions because, hey, I feel like a champion! Then we wondered why the game was way harder than the original.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

DS2 basically, but for some reason he's averse to saying it.

Linear, but dense within the context of those areas.

It's a bit different than that. DS2 was a hub area with a bunch of completely separate straight paths shooting off from it. Bloodborne was a straight line with some dead-end offshoots.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Ughhh I'm the worst. Every single one of my questlines have come to a screeching halt. Nobody is appearing anywhere. Guess it'll be a lonely journey for poor Character #1.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

ShadowMar posted:

just a regular +6, no infusions.

You should probably throw a Heavy or Refined infusion on it, then. A sharp gem massively boosted my Uchigatana's attack power.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Heath posted:

Does anybody know what the Uchigatana's L2-R2 does?

It's supposed to be a parry, but I haven't gotten it to work a single time.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Annath posted:

There's a katana zombie loving my poo poo up outside Fire link :saddowns:

Does he guard anything useful?

He drops his katana, which is a sweet dex weapon. That's it though.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Are catalysts still hosed? I remember hearing before release that upgrading them had no affect on your damage. And that miracles only did good damage at melee range.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Appoda posted:

Just killed the Cathedral boss. I heard there's an NPC in this area that lets you respec your poo poo -- where are they? Are they somewhere past those two bigass giants? Is there a way to deal with them that doesn't involve plinking arrows at them forever?

They're not as scary as they look. Lure them onto solid ground and nip at their heels until they die.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
"Performance adjustment for Greatsword" means they're making it better, right? Right? I'm having a ton of fun with my new strength build and I don't want it to end.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

God loving drat Wolnir is such a piece of poo poo boss I hate this so goddamn much. I wish there was literally anything else for me to do other than beat my head against him, but this game is way more linear.

I can't even summons someone for some weird reason, it's really frustrating.

Did you figure out the gimmick?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What's the SL meta right now? Gotta know what level to be at when I start fishing around NG+ for rings.

E: And am I correct in thinking that the pop arena is right after the Pontiff's door?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Lag, maybe. Apparently the hard counter to Dark Sword r1 spam is "mash the parry button" because I was getting parried in the midst of combos.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Am I missing something about the Luck build? The current speedrun is a rush to Anri's Straight Sword, but I'm having real trouble in just the first area as a Thief. I can't even beat the Sword Master.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm glad that, as more people beat the game, Champion Gundyr gets more and more crowd pop.

Any time a streamer makes it halfway through the Untended Graves, that explodes with "THE CHAMP AWAITS YOU", "THE CHAMP IS COMING" and so on.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

net cafe scandal posted:

For fucks sake. Aldrich definitely ate Nito. You people are absurd

I never even considered that Aldrich ate Nito. How does that begin to make sense? Didn't Nito die hundreds of years ago or something?

I disagree with the Priscilla thing, mostly because of the lack of presence in the bossfight. The miracle/weapon disambiguation is a good one too - the dude ate a god, I'm pretty sure that he can make a miracle from a dream. The game is so up-front about how he totally ate Gwyndolin so there's no reason to be coy about this.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Is there an explanation as to why Yorshka exists besides "we needed a covenant master for the darkmoon blades" and "we needed a giant furry girl in the game"?

e: and where is Priscilla, if she's not being devoured by Aldrich?

Yeah, pretty much. Why does any character exist?
Priscilla is probably in her super secret painting world, still. Wherever that painting is.

net cafe scandal posted:

Aldrrich has Nitos weapon and Nitos skeletons, and Nitos hair and Nitos music. He ate Nito and he probly ate Priscilla as well

skeletons, famously invented by Nito (dark souls 1, 2011)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

I thought each of the 4 lords had a piece of the original soul fire thing, not that they were all separate?

Nah, the original 4 lords found their flames independently. Only Seath and the 4 kings were "bequeathed" lord souls.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Irithyll seems like a really nice place to live when it's not in "evil mode", unlike most of the game. I assume these places were not overrun with monsters before the age of dark approacheth anyway.

Invasions have no risk and give almost no rewards, so I feel that the purpose has shifted away from "kill the host" to "annoy the host". Even making him waste some estus on me is a victory in my book.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yorshka can't be Priscilla, because Priscilla doesn't have bizarre malformed baby arms.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

So when you say "Aldritch ate Nito" what you meant was, "Aldritch ate a pile of bones vaguely shaped like Nito"? I can accept that even if it's overall meaningless.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I got into a mini-argument on Twitch the other day about the endings.

Which is a "happier" ending - Lord of Hollows, or the Betrayal (firekeeper ending)? Yuria says that becoming the Lord of Hollows will break the curse for good and usher in an age of man, but I'm not sure that we'll lead a very friendly kingdom. Yuria kind of leads you on re:Anri and has assassinations performed. And Londor (New Londo) didn't go so well! Meanwhile, in the Betrayal ending, the firekeeper removes the flame and...takes it with her? And she seems somewhat hopeful about the "small flames" in the distance, which I took to mean that a bunch of badasses will find it within themselves to be strong despite the dark.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 2, 2016

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

How the gently caress do you get Patches to show up? I'm just before Abyss Watchers and he refuses to show up and trap me either in Firelink or in the Cathedral.

My surefire way to continue that quest is to open the big blue frontdoor to the Cathedral. Then Siegward appears in the well and Patches will show up anywhere that he can.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I don't think The Dark literally kills everybody. It's just...kind of boring. Stagnant. People existed before the age of fire, after all. But those tiny flames in that the Firekeeper sees are the hope that people will rise up again, just like the did from the original age of grey nothingness.

The firekeeper wants you to kill her and remove the eyes - not because it's spooky or w/e, but because she's "enticed" by the darkness. She can tell that smothering the flame is the right thing to do.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What do you figure the fastest weapon in the game is? The 40 luck I have should make bleeding actually viable. Of course, my STR and DEX are at 13 so actual damage is irrelevant.

Is it better to infuse a weapon with Blood or just throw Carthus Rouge on it? Opinions seem to be split on whether Carthus Rouge scales with Luck.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Even a lot of DS1 speedruns involve jumping off a long drop, quitting the game before you hit the floor, then loading only to be safe and sound at the bottom. Speed, man.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Is it reasonable to fight that guy with the katana in firelink shrine early on?

Want that sword but the first couple times I went for him I got my rear end kicked...

You can quite easily knock him off the cliff.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I really appreciate that the Sorcerer's Robes automatically put the hood up even if you're wearing a helmet. The Fallen Knight hood-over-helmet look is pretty cool, pisspants aside.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What level are you guys going into the DLC as? I'm hoping I won't have to make a new character since all my dudes are PvP leveled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Being a MLGS user is hard. It's a fun weapon and a fun build, but it's so singularly focused that I'm going to miss out on 90% of the weapons in the DLC.

Have we gotten word of new sorceries or pyromancies?