Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can tell how long it's been since I've played a Souls game by the embarrassingly large number of times I've died to Iudex Gundyr.

It doesn't help that my controller is hosed up or something and it keeps using my estus flask in the middle of dodge rolls.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh okay so I guess I made the mistake of bothering to dodge anything he does at all once he transforms. Shoving my face in his junk mashing R1 is clearly the correct way to beat a Dark Souls boss :downs:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How am I supposed to kill these blob things on the high wall? They oneshot me from full health and I cannot kill them in a full stamina bar, so it just ends up with me inevitably trying to dodge and poke which fails horrifically since their attacks are large and occasionally frequent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress is up with this woman in Road of Sacrifices with the huge axe/cleaver thing? Is she even killable early on without huge amounts of cheese?

I'd skip her but I really wanna know what she drops :(

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GIANT ENEMY CRAB :stare:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Settlement is absolutely enormous. I spent something like six hours there and traded some hiding spots with my roommate who did the same and we're still probably missing some things.

I like how you can be friends with the giant and he stops shooting arrows at you when you're near his tree. :3:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Magical Lamp posted:

Crowtrading spoilers!

You need the 20k souls key from Firelink, you can drop onto a rooftop and go through a secret passage to get to the nest. There's a full spoiler on it here, location at the front and full trade list at the bottom - http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dark-souls-3-all-crows-nest-trade-items-pickle-pee-pump-a-rum-crow

So that's what the Siegbrau is for! :worship:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eonwe posted:

I just beat the smaller icy miniboss guy in the undead settlement how far away am I from the tree boss

You passed him. The tree boss is optional.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pthighs posted:

Could someone tell me where to go from Firelink shrine? I can't find anything but the tower, which needs 20k should fit the key. :negative:

Stab the circle in front of the firekeeper lady, it turns into a bonfire, then you can warp from it to the first zone you need to go to.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You get access to Chaos later on, which is Fire but scaling.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Would you guys recommend that I do (areas after Road of Sacrifices spoilers) Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep first?

There's a ring in the former that will make your life slightly less frustrating in the latter, for what that's worth. I haven't done anything else there though so I have no idea what's worth it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That's twice I've been hit into a wall I couldn't escape from now. loving rats.

Also how does the Blue Sentinel system work? It's been pulsing for an hour and nothing has happened.

People in the Way of the Blue have to be invaded and then you get pulled in to defend them. I don't imagine many people are staying in that faction.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Those crystal lizard things that drop scales, I guess you can backstab them? I did it by accident while wailing on it with my hanzo steel.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ahahah, I was wondering about that. Seems like their server took a poo poo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Macintosh HD posted:

Question regarding secrets, a specific covenant, and this early game boss: tree balls

Background info: I have been trying to get into the cage on the back of the Hollow Manservant in the Undead Settlement so he can take me to the Mound Maker guy. My stealthy attempts to get in that cage seem to make him notice me and attack. I heard that you can't do this if you already killed Tree Balls (since the tree falling down a level would kill the Mound Maker dude). I previously fought Tree Balls and caused him to fall down a level but then I died. The boss is still alive for me to fight if I traverse the fog.

The actual question: Because I previously attempted the boss fight, am I locked out of getting in that cage? Has anyone been able to get in there after partially fighting the tree? "Just try it, human being" isn't good because I have tried and I can't figure out if it's now impossible to be stealthy enough.

The tree falling through the floor kills the guy who gives you the covenant item, you can see his body on the floor in the room. You're outta luck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I found a braille tome in the Cathedral so I went back to give it to Irina, only to find she wasn't there. It looks like the knight dude that was near her jail cell took her outside and is trying to kill me because she got hurt, and that's somehow my fault?

What did I miss?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Crest Shield is so good. I'd been using the Silver something kite shield for most of the game since it was the lightest 100% physical block I've found and you get it wicked early, but the Crest Shield has way higher magic defense, better stability, and better all other defenses by a bit for the same weight. It even upgrades out of twinkling titanite which I've had zero use for so far.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works, since a lot of people seem unsure about what to do with their weapons for a given build. If this can get thrown in the OP (with spoiler tags where needed, if you think that's necessary?) that would be helpful. Also if I missed something or someone has anything helpful to add, feel free.

Blacksmith Andre starts with three infusion types available, and can unlock more as you give him embers which you find as you progress through the game. Infusing a weapon or shield requires a gem of the appropriate type and a small amount of souls. You can change a weapon from one infusion type to another, though the first gem isn't refunded, or you can use a Shriving Stone to remove the infusion altogether if you'd like.

All infusions except for Raw lower the base physical damage slightly. The plain Dagger seems to be an exception, with all the elemental infusions actually increasing its base damage.

Weapon buffs such as pine resins and spells that affect your weapon can ONLY be applied to normal, Refined, Sharp, Heavy, and Raw weapons.

Starting Infusions:

Refined - Slightly lowers the highest among STR and DEX scaling, then brings the other one up to that level.
Raw - Removes all scaling, significantly increases base physical damage.
Fire - Removes all scaling, adds flat fire damage

Farron Coal location: Road of Sacrifices, guarded by a Black Knight.

Heavy - Removes DEX scaling, increases STR scaling.
Sharp - Lowers but does not remove STR scaling, increases DEX scaling.
Poison - Lowers all scaling, adds poison buildup.

Sage's Coal location: Farron Keep, guarded by a Darkwraith.

Crystal - Lowers all scaling, adds magic damage with INT scaling.
Blessed - Lowers all scaling, adds FAITH scaling to physical damage. Also gives slow HP recovery while equipped.
Deep - Removes all scaling, adds flat dark damage.

Profaned Coal location: Irithyll Dungeon right by the shortcut.

Dark - Lowers all scaling, adds dark damage with INT+FAITH scaling.
Blood - Lowers all scaling, adds bleed buildup.
Hollow - Lowers all scaling, adds LUCK scaling, increases your LUCK based on how hollowed you are.

Giant's Coal location: Anor Londo on a giant corpse near the bonfire.

Lightning - Lowers all scaling, adds lightning damage with FAITH scaling.
Simple - Lowers all scaling, adds flat magic damage. Also gives slow FP recovery while equipped.
Chaos - Lowers all scaling, adds fire damage with INT+FAITH scaling.

Generally speaking you will always want to infuse a weapon you're using, as there will be one if not several options that are outright better than an uninfused weapon. Starting off when you don't have much for stats, Raw or one of the non-scaling elemental infusions like Fire and Deep will be your best option, depending on what enemies you're going to be fighting since certain ones have heavy resistances or weaknesses. Once you have solid offensive stats, STR builds will usually want Heavy, DEX builds will usually want Sharp, and Quality builds will usually want Refined. Spellcaster builds are a bit more situational - a DEX or STR caster hybrid will generally want Heavy/Sharp so they can enchant it, a pure caster can use Raw with enchantments or forego them for one of the elemental scaling infusions if their appropriate stat(s) are high enough, and again it depends on what types of enemies you're going to be fighting.

The type of weapon you're modifying matters as well. Weapons with high base damage benefit more from flat damage infusions, weapons with high scaling benefit more from infusions that add or increase scaling. All gems are farmable in at least one location, so it doesn't hurt to experiment to find out what works.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Urthor posted:

I started out with a Fire Gem Broadsword, like many people I realised this is by far the best weapon in the game for sword and board. What I'd like to know is, at what point does shifting from Fire Gem to Heavy/Refined on the broadsword do more damage, the flat damage from Fire is well, reallllly good, but at what numbers does scaling overtake the flat damage?

The numbers on the weapon stats don't reflect how much damage you'll actually do. Damage reduction is a flat reduction to those damage numbers, and any enemy that isn't weak to fire will reduce both the physical and the fire damage component by whatever their defense stat is, meaning a weapon with 100 physical and 100 fire damage may end up doing quite a bit less than one with 140 physical. No hard data on any of those numbers yet since the game's only been out a couple days.

For switching to a scaling infusion like Heavy, it depends on the weapon but since you can preview the numbers before you apply an infusion you should see how well the scaling works for what your stats are.

Section Z posted:

The main one I'm hazy with is Refined, with it's full implications.

Is it just entirely pointless on D/C or D/E weapons? What happens with weapons that don't have one type of scaling in the first place?

Or is it primarily for nudging C/E weapons into D/D weapons? outside of the rare snowflakes that actually have B or A scaling build in.

The rest seem simple enough to grasp. It's just the Refined loving with me.

The letters only give a vague idea of what the scaling percent actually is, with each one being a range of percents that it never tells you. Using refined on a D/E weapon will generally turn it into a D/D weapon but the first D is a bit lower.

I think how it works is that it averages the two, so if a weapon has 40% STR scaling and 20% DEX scaling it will give you 30% in both. That could be totally off base though.

You'll want to look at the bonus number for each infusion to see which one is giving you more and out of what stat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Andrast posted:

I managed to get to the end of the Siegward questline without loving it up and apparently Siegward loving owns.

Do you have to buy his armor back from Patches?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

gently caress, that's a lot of souls I don't have. What's the deadline?

slev posted:

What's the second number beside attack power mean? Attribute bonus?

Yeah, it's the amount you get from the attribute scaling based on the letter.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

where did leonhard go? i talked to him the first time and now i joined the covenant and want to talk to him again but he's not leaning on the throne anymore. does he move or leave?

He heads to the covenant room after a bit, I believe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone give me the skinny on equip burden and rolling? I'm having trouble finding anything good on it.

Less than 30% for light roll, less than 70% for medium roll. I don't think there's any difference in between those points other than for Flynn's Ring.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nope that's how it works. Thankfully that dude does nothing helpful after you've joined the covenant, you turn in the items at the shrine behind him.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has anyone tried a luck build yet? There seems to be a few neat items / weapons that would be fun, but on the other hand poison seems terrible and bleed feels like it takes forever to proc.

Also the Wolf covenant is so loving fun. It's the only form of PvP I've found so far where you don't just get ganged up on constantly. Pretty good mix of 1v1, 2v1, and 2v2 matches so far, and there is nothing better in the world than getting people smashed by a giant crab. That's also a really brutal area to get invaded in, because there are 2 potential Watchdogs, an NPC invader, and 2 mini-bosses, plus the crabs and deep water.

Also people get really, really mad when you spam the "Call Over" emote afterward. I do it every time and this last invasion, me and the second Watchdog broke it out at the same exact moment by pure chance. It was magical.

Orv posted:

They're universally not worth it. Poison ticks too slowly and for too little, bleed takes an eternity and then several more years to proc on a player and most of the luck weapons are novelties at best.

If you go hollow, luck is very good. There's a weapon infusion that makes your weapon damage scale on luck, and gives you bonus luck based on how hollowed you are. If you throw that on a weapon that already has bleed like the uchigatana you can get some good mileage out of it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's another sorcery vendor in Road of Sacrifices, upstairs from the building that leads to the Crystal Sage.

That guy also leaves after killing the Abyss Watchers unless you get him the golden tome from a cave in the swamp before that happens.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Magical Lamp posted:

I don't think levelling vigor is optional this time round. Shields don't seem very good.

You're using the wrong shields. Silver Herald Kite Shield and especially the Crest Shield are A+ in my book.

Also the Grass Crest but you don't generally block with that :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The 30% and 70% breakpoints are the only thing that really matters in most situations.

Hilariously I saw a video of a guy with 99% weight armor using a dagger to jump around and dickstab people, totally ignoring that he was supposed to be slow. It worked well and was fun as gently caress to watch, hell if I can find the video again though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: And also, "you're doing it wrong" isn't even an applicable statement in this situation. No matter what you do, you cannot mitigate the effects of the muck besides not going in it, which is not possible. There's nothing to do wrong, unless you count the game designers doing the players wrong by putting in a lovely area like this for the third time

Equip dagger. Two-hand it. Press L2.

You're welcome.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can still quickstep at zero mana, despite all conventional logic.

You can even do it while over your maximum equip load and give approximately zero fucks about movement speed or rolling, because it gives you iframes while doing it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Could someone explain what causes my max hp to decrease in Irithyll Dungeon? I've identified the creature causing it, and I realize that it has something to do with the lamp being red, but then it just seems arbitrary when it does or does not happen.

When they do that thing where they poo poo mist all over the floor, it makes your max hp drop temporarily. It's unavoidable unless you stagger them as they start the animation, before the mist shows up.

It goes away after like 30 seconds thankfully, but multiple ones doing it to you stack and there's an area where you can have your HP dropped to 1.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It does suck though, I feel for you. I lost the miracles lady already and I'm bummed about it.

Try walking back to where you fought the first boss from Firelink.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why do the Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels have the exact same summoning condition? It just makes it even harder and more tedious to do anything at all in one of those factions.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hot tip for anyone having issues summoning: The spell Seek Guidance makes a ton more summon signs show up around you when you use it, in addition to showing developer messages.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Conversely, always be embered, do way of blue+giant seed+dried knuckle and be in pvp heaven. Not being embered there actively harms the pvp community of the game.

Invasions always being 1v3+ fights with hostile monsters is actually worse for the pvp community of the game because they'll all stop.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is there any functional difference between Darkmoon Blade and Lightning Blade other than their damage type? Scaling or anything like that?

If not I think I'm just gonna give up on trying to get 30 covenant items for that because it's borderline impossible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Lightning blade scales with faith but darkmoon scales with how upgraded your talisman is

Doesn't upgrading your talisman increase your faith scaling on spells anyway?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The spell buff value of your talisman is increased by your faith. Unless there's one with no scaling, but the rest do.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Also give Darkmoon Blades a loving Blue Eye Orb

Or just give them their item from regular invasions if they have the Darkmoon covenant equipped, like the purplebros and sunbros get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

EDIT: Dumb question