Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

do we know if this is more a sequel to DS1 or DS2? I played the hell out of DS1 but I never finished DS2. two seemed sort of disconnected from the first. will this be its own thing or refer back to the sequels? also I really hope my 660 ti can handle this game

DS1 references everywhere, DS2 references are scattered around but DS3 is basically a direct sequel to DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

I've decided I am going to play this offline when I start, like I did with Bloodborne and DS2. I like being able to take it slow without people's specters causing me to jump out of my chair because I think there's a ghost attacking me every time I see one.

I also want to be able to enjoy a new blind play-through without being terrified of invaders.

But being terrified of invaders is such a key part of a new blind playthrough! And right now is probably the time to be least afraid of early-game invaders, because people haven't yet figured out the most efficient way to twink and create low-level destroyer invaders. (Plus, the new weapon level matchmaking helps avoid a situation where someone invades you at SL20 with a +10 god-weapon.)

I did see some people post ideas for "be a dick, but in a really funny way" invasion builds on Reddit, though, but if I was invaded by any of those I'd laugh more than anything.

Zaphod42 posted:

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are literally in DS2 named as they were. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2, which explains a bit.

Also "so obscure" in the souls series? :v: Par for the course. The story and setting are always obscure, nothing is explicit. But named great lord souls is pretty drat explicit, as much as any other part of the story or setting.

At least before they were revised, a lot of the item descriptions were vague/obscure in a more pointed way than they were in the first Dark Souls. Like, Dark Souls leaves stuff out--Dark Souls 2 draws attention to the fact that it's leaving stuff out. I found that kind of fatiguing, myself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HGH posted:

Anyone know any good streamers/LPers that start today? Specifically blind. I'm planning to watch Lobos Jr. since he clowns on these games so often, is there more people skilled like that?

Elajjaz might be entertaining to watch. He's mostly a speedrunner but he streamed blind playthroughs of the previous games before he got around to routing/running. He's pretty good at the games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Please play online and join the Way of the Blue. I desperately want to protect people like you from the dickwraith hordes. :911:

I forgot about that!

Yes, if anyone is afraid of invasions, please play online, stay Embered as much as possible, and join the Way of Blue covenant. I'd love nothing more than to come in as a blue phantom and fight invaders off with you all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but did they remove the "lose a bit of max HP after every death" mechanic from DaS2? That part was pretty annoying honestly.

They did. You no longer lose max HP on death.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Glancing at the classes, mercenary is the way to go for non int/faith quick dodgy dudes right?

Knight or Warrior, believe it or not. Knight is better if you're leveling Attunement, Warrior is better if you aren't. This is all for very long-term build stuff and they're all within a few points of each other, so it's not a huge deal, but that's how the math works out. (Knight has low Luck so non-Luck builds save points there; Warrior has low Attunement, so builds that don't care about spell slots or FP save points there.)

There's a calculator you can use here: https://battlecalculator.com/dark-souls-3-class-selector/

Disregard this entirely if you're more interested in what weapon you start with and don't care that much for "PvP meta build maximum efficiency."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

General Morden posted:

is this game playable on kb+m

I don't think anyone here has played the PC version yet, but speaking from experience from DS2, it's... playable but the game was clearly made to be played with a controller. That said, some people here say they do great in Dark Souls 2 with kb/m so who knows.

(I'm not even mentioning Dark Souls 1, which has notoriously awful kb/m controls, but I'm just assuming they've learned their lesson.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What do you mean "to avoid the latency" ?

Wouldn't PS4 have more latency than PC?

I think they mean the stream latency you can get on the Steam Link, especially if you're running it over wifi.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, if you've gotta play on a TV then yeah probably go PS4. But PC + Monitor all the way. Gonna be playing souls at 100fps. :)

I just connected my PC to my TV with a really long HDMI cable and I'm switching between a Steam controller and DS4 over Bluetooth, works pretty well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eonwe posted:

im trying to talk myself into buying dark souls III because now that I have a steam controller I feel like I could maybe one day beat this, where for dark souls 1 essentially I just got to the capra demon and stopped playing

Capra Demon is an aggressively unfun boss and one of my least favorite in the series, so definitely don't let that color your whole perception of it. It also doesn't look like DS3 has any bosses quite that annoying.

(I've been playing Souls games for a good while now and I get that Capra isn't that hard but that tiny room with the dogs and his huge swing radius, it can all just gently caress right off.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where's the third gif one? It's the best part.

VVV Thank you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Change the thread title

Much like Final Fantasy, every game in the Souls series is the worst in the series.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

borf posted:

Does magic/pyro/hexes take a little while to get going in traditional DS fashion this time around? Can't decide if I want to smash smash or burn burn, and I only have half an hour!!

Yes. Probably longer to get going in this one than it ever has, and it doesn't reach maximum effectiveness until you have 60 in the scaling stat (or a total of 60 in your Int/Faith for pyromancy). Pyromancy probably gets off the ground faster than sorceries and miracles, though. And as long as you're okay with using an infused weapon in melee when spells aren't doing the trick, you'll do fine.

Hexes aren't their own type of magic this time, either. There are dark sorceries, miracles, and pyromancies, though, some of which are hexes from DS2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Walrus posted:

seems almost like its balanced around the respecs

Eh, it's a little like Bloodborne, really. Sorcery, at least, works well as a supplement to melee fighting in the early game, but takes a lot of investment to be your main source of damage, much like Arcane stuff in Bloodborne. Meanwhile, you can use infused weapons to fill the gap when your spells aren't cutting it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I didn't bother reading the OP. Should I buy this game? Is it good? I heard you can hit things with swords.

You can hit things with lots of things. Swords, spears, halberds, axes, dual-axes, swords taller than you, big fireballs, swords that shoot fire, spears that shoot lightning. It's a veritable feast of things-you-can-hit-things-with-and-then-things-to-hit-with-those-things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Character creation freezing for anyone else on PC? Like, the preview on the right side of the screen just freezes on me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe I oughta cancel that vacation day I had tomorrow and wait for a patch before I play. I'd like to be able to actually decide what my guy looks like before I start playing, and also hopefully maybe not crash at the first bonfire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

This happened to me. Save your duder to Favorites and then exit out and go back in, it'll be there and you can pick up where you left off.

Well that'll be a fun way to do some character creation. Ah, well.

ShadowMar posted:

everyone who isn't a knight or have lighting set to low is having that issue

Is it the armor? Like, if you take off your Herald armor, do you still crash? Or is it somehow tied to your actual class selection?

And is it at every bonfire, or just that first one?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So am I right that DS3 won't recognize a Dualshock 4 without DS4Windows or another program, but DS2 will? Weird.

Anyway that's not that much of an issue, I had it set up anyway. And hey, at least I was planning on starting as a Knight anyway, so no crashes for me :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i'm mostly not digging the way the gui feels like it went back to demon's souls. it's hard to explain, but everything seems all minimalist, like the health and mana bars are really small and they don't seem to give any marker or indication of your general health level. also, i died to the very first boss and when i came back i was not beef jerky man and it didn't look like my health was any lower. i assume that's just a perk of the training area?

You no longer hollow on death and you don't lose HP either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iudex Gundyr was pretty fun, not that tough but really cool.

I'm already getting the urge to go remake my dude because he looks worse in-game than in character creation though :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is it true there's going to be a patch tomorrow?

I'm somehow avoiding the worst of the performance issues, but I do get the occasional frame hitch where everything kind of skips for a half second.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Knight guy after the dragon in the High Wall of Lothric is by far the hardest enemy of his type I've run into in one of these games. Black Knights and Blue Eye Knights got nothing on him, jesus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

As a newbie knight, what should I be dumping my stats into?

That depends on what kind of a dude you want to grow up to be. In general, your starting class only determines the stats and equipment you start with--you can really go anywhere from here.

You'll want Vigor for HP, Endurance for Stamina, and you'll want to major in either Strength (slow weapons that hit hard) or Dexterity (fast weapons that hit often) early on. Note that, if this is anything like the rest of the games in this series, upgrading your weapons at the blacksmith will have more effect on your damage than Strength or Dexterity at first, so prioritize that if you have the choice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any particularly fun weapons to find in the High Wall of Lothric? The Longsword's nice and all, but I wouldn't mind something a bit more exciting to start off with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Is Flynn's ring like in DS2 where its total equip load as opposed to actual equip load?

It's actual equip load now, and it's percentile. So higher Vitality will actually help you with Flynn's now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it just me or is the Battle Axe move set much improved this time around?

Also: any reason not to spend Titanite on the Deep Battle Axe you can get in the High Wall? It already does more damage than my +2 Uchigatana and I'm having more fun with it, too, but I know it doesn't scale.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My realization this morning:

"Those Lothric Knights sure are loving me up something awful. How do I deal with them? Oh, I know! How about I nut the gently caress up and parry them and kill them in one hit loving duh"

They're deceptively easy to parry, is what I'm saying. Just gotta have the balls to try in the first place. But also I haven't tried to parry a spear one yet so :v:

Valiant Pudding posted:

So I really enjoyed DS1 and played about an hour or 2 in DS2. Go straight to DS3 yay or nay?

DS3 doesn't rely on you having played DS2 to enjoy it, so I'd base it on whether you really want to keep playing DS2 or if you want to jump on DS3 while it's new and everyone's confused and knows nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where's a good place to put down a summon sign for the High Wall? I'd like to help some people with the boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am not a fan of the NPC invader in the Undead Settlement. He's of the Dark Souls 2 school of NPC invader, I see: heal himself constantly and take jack poo poo for damage in return.

I ended up having to retreat because I ran out of Estus and he'd kill me in one more hit, so I'm sure glad I get to do the area again and then probably have the exact same thing happen :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

Is this a good plan? Would this ultimately end up with a stronger weapon, or should I just focus on a single aspect, in this case raw?

Raw is probably the best of the non-scaling infusions, really, because it doesn't deal split damage and you don't often have resistances to worry about. Plus, you can buff it with resins and the Magic Weapon spell.

You'll need to use titanite to reinforce it either way, though. You use a gem once to give it an infusion then upgrade with titanite from there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

man I see all these people having trouble with a 970 and it's running absolutely fine on mine. Guess I lucked out, there seems to be something hosed up with the port :(

My 970 is doing fine, too, but everyone's performance issues are making me paranoid.

This is definitely not a strong port though.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So...hey...is it just me or is Cleric objectively superior to Herald? Like, the weapon you start with is less clunky, it has a perfectly good shield too, the miracles are better, and it has a hilarious turtle shell, am I missing some reason to go Herald other than a minor boost to defense stats?

Herald armor looks cool, and it's not like your starting class matters much beyond the first couple areas. Does the Cleric start with a mace again? Those are usually good starters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why do you sometimes get another Estus Flask use out of nowhere? I can't seem to discern the pattern. It was happening before I wrote any messages, so it definitely isn't that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nothing like the feeling when you're like five hours in and realize you wish you could rename your character :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

man nurse posted:

Try realizing you consumed the item that it turns out lets you acquire the fucken Bloodborne get-your-health-back-with-attacks ring. I'm almost tempted to start over between that and accepting the free level up from the sorcerer guy.

Don't worry. The ring does almost nothing. You're not missing much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If one were to use CheatEngine to rename one's character (that was possible in DS2, at least), would that be seriously risking a softban?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Those Corvians in the Road of Sacrifices do not gently caress around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Is there any reason not to upgrade whatever weapons you like with simple + damage?

Does doing that lock you out of converting them into different damage types? If you convert a weapon to a different damage types, does it undo all your + upgrades to it?

Nope, you can infuse and clear infusions at will without losing upgrades. Every type of weapon (except boss/unique weapons) upgrades with regular titanite, so there's no reason not to upgrade. It's always a good idea.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

I'm new to the Souls series and can someone help me understand how to think about the weapons in this game? I love Bloodborne, and the weapons in that are rare and very specifically located. You can also start with the best weapons in the game. I also loved the way trick weapons worked.

In Souls it seems like weapons are random drops, and there's a million more. Is the basic starting axe something I want to level up like the axe in bloodborne? If I find a "short sword" is that great or will I eventually get a unique named short sword that has special stats?

Much like Bloodborne, any weapon (except the obviously lovely ones, like the Broken Straight Sword) can be upgraded and be good throughout the game. There are definitely some weapons with special properties, such as weapons you make out of the souls of bosses, but they're not necessarily "better." Hell, the basic Longsword is always a crazy good and versatile weapon in these games from beginning to end. A Battle Axe could be, too.

Upgrade materials are also much more common in this than in Bloodborne, so don't feel like you're really committing to something by upgrading it a bit. The only real "commitments" are the weapons you take to +10 with a Titanite Slab, and even then, there are more of those than there are Blood Rocks in Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Equip load is pretty seriously restrictive this time around if you're using any large weapon, isn't it? I really want to wear some cool-looking armor like the Fallen Knight set and wield a curved greatsword, but even at 20 Vit that takes me to 75% equip load on its own.

I wish they'd just wrapped equip load back into Endurance.