Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

v1ld posted:

Generally split damage weapons get higher total AR than single damage scaling types. So it's not 400 total vs 2x 200 split, but more like 400 vs 2x 240 - or whatever it is not at the game right now. This is also visible on the non-scaling types like deep and fire vs raw for eg.

Of course, still depends on the specific resists of the enemies you're going up against, but they do try to keep all weapon infusion types viable.

Messed up my post, I meant to say 300 single type vs. 200 of two types.

But you're right--split damage weapons are perfectly viable. They're just never going to be the highest DPS option in most cases. Which is fine, because chances are, if you're using a split damage weapon, you're doing it because you have the stats to scale its elemental/magical damage, which also means you have the stats to cast spells. It's a worthwhile trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was getting summoned a ton with Blue Sentinels on a couple days ago, around SL 30-40, so that range was definitely active.

Back when the game was new, I got summoned a lot in Irithyll as a Darkmoon, too, but I remember a ton of people never getting summoned at all. Really not sure why it worked so consistently for me. I'll try using Blue Sentinels in Irithyll today since I just got there on this playthrough and see if it still works I guess.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 7, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There really did need to be a Blue Eye Orb in DS3. DS3 doesn't have DS1's sin mechanic, but the Blue Eye Orb could let Darkmoons invade any player who's currently in one of the invasion covenants, like Rosaria's Fingers or Aldrich Faithful. Or maybe even anyone who has turned in covenant items for those covenants--the game clearly tracks that, since there's at least one NPC who goes hostile if you turn in a Pale Tongue to Rosaria.

Back when the game was new, Irithyll was extremely active for blue summons but that might not be true anymore if most people are just either not using Way of Blue at that point these days, or are full up on password summons anyway. Maybe the right move if you want to make a Darkmoon Blade user is to put on Blue Sentinels and just hang out at SL 30 or so until you have all your proofs?

This is also reminding me that I lost my Darkmoon Blade save when I got a new PC and sold my old one to a friend. I assumed Dark Souls 3 had Steam cloud saves and was extremely wrong :negative:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 7, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Le0 posted:

They all had ultra great swords which I tried to roll to dodge their attack but it always seem to connect, not sure if it is because of the lag or if I suck. I guess I should be looking at blocking that instead?

Definitely don't try to block ultra greatswords. They'll eat your stamina and you'll get owned. I'd recommend dodging towards them, not backwards, or their length can still catch you. If you dodge towards them you can sometimes backstab before they're out of their recovery animation.

Le0 posted:

I might upgrade Gundyr halberd because this thing is way too cool.

Definitely do upgrade Gundyr's Halberd because that weapon owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Do your civic duty and put on Way of Blue if you're not actively using another covenant. Help support a starving and salty bluebro today.

:hai:

That said I was pleasantly surprised that I got two summons over a couple hours yesterday at SL 58. Some people are using Way of Blue in Irithyll and I thank them for that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to just camp out at SL 60ish or so and try to get 20 more proofs in Irithyll, or just continue onward and make a new character to farm proofs at low levels when more people are using Way of Blue. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets Blue Sentinel/Darkmoon summons fairly consistently but even for me they dry up post-Irithyll and are a lot more frequent at like Road of Sacrifices level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

If there were ever a time/place to farm proofs, right after Pontiff Sulyvahn (SL60/+6 weapon) is a great spot for it since hosts will very frequently be invaded by reds & Aldrich Faithful. That said it is a popular spot for twinks to curbstomp fresh players so ymmv. There are also some Silver Knights to beat on while you wait to be summoned.

I think the reason that spot doesn't work quite as well as Road of Sacrifices is because by Irithyll, hosts often aren't wearing Way of Blue anymore. Some do, but it's less common because they have access to other covenants by then. I do get occasional summons in that level range but it's definitely more common at earlier levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

There's always ringed city, that place sees lots of blue cops action, though it's obviously a ways off level-wise.

Oh, that's encouraging. I was considering making a separate character to be my Darkmoon faith/melee build but by Ringed City I'll have some PvP weapons I like more so maybe I can get proofs there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

Honestly though, if you are just doing it for Darkmoon Blade and the trophy, just go grab the Honest Merchant mod now and bypass the need to get proofs entirely.

How do mods like this work with online play? I assume I can't play online with a mod installed, but would it work to use the mod offline, then uninstall it before going online again? Or is that risking a ban too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay this Honest Merchant mod sounds fantastic. I'm up to about 10 concords just from Blue summons but I'm starting to find it less fun to chase down invaders in Irithyll so I have no issue just buying myself a Darkmoon Blade spell and calling it a day. I'll probably still keep the Darkmoon covenant on pretty often because it's fun every once in a while but it'll be nice to not have to worry about proofs while I'm doing it.

Also I feel less guilty about "cheating" because I got Darkmoon Blade on my old character back in 2016 and I could just play him if I hadn't lost my save so :v:

Side note: I haven't played this since 2016 and have posted plenty about my lingering negative feelings about the game from then. But I'm so glad I came back for another try. Playing this concurrently with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 really highlights the things each game does well, and I'm finding Dark Souls 3 really refreshing in a lot of ways. I remember finding the abundance of aggressive, high-poise enemies annoying/exhausting the first time I played through but I'm having much more fun fighting them this time. I also just really like what DS3 does with the lore of the Dark Souls series and I think it makes for a really satisfying conclusion, which is something I liked back in 2016, too, but it's really nice to experience it again. This is a real good game.

I never got around to playing the DLC before so I'm excited to play the last Dark Souls content I've never played before.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I've not gotten to that point yet, but I got the impression Nameless King was one of the more difficult bosses.

He was by far the hardest fight my first time through the game. Not sure how he stacks up to the DLC end bosses, but in the base game, he's definitely one of the hardest fights.

Cool as hell, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

for a first playthrough whats a good point to stop leveling your damage stat? was thinking of stopping at 30 like i did in ds1. i started out leveling str and dex equally to meet equipment requirements but leaning more towards dex now. also can i stick sharp on a str weapon like the mace and have it scale with dex instead?

Damage stats hit their first soft cap at 40 so if you can go to that, it's usually worth it.

You can indeed use a Sharp Gem on a Mace and have it scale more with Dexterity, but it's worth noting that not all weapons are equally good with each infusion. The basic Mace, for example, only gets B Dexterity scaling at Sharp +10, which isn't great for a +10 Sharp weapon.

I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast rule, but I think a good general guideline is that if a weapon strongly leans towards one stat or the other before it's infused, using the other stat's infusion gem on it will only be okay, and it's better to lean into the direction it's already going if you really want to make it shine. A weapon that already skews towards Dexterity can really shine if it's Sharp, while something that's already big on Strength scaling does best when it's Heavy, that kind of thing. But if you have a pure Dex build and you really, really want to use a Mace on that build, then infusing it with a Sharp Gem will probably be better than just leaving it default, if nothing else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Le0 posted:

Regarding covenants, is there any good newb covenant or shouldn't I really care?

Really depends entirely on what you want to do and/or if there are any kind of rewards you want for your build. If you just want a default covenant to have on all the time, Way of Blue is good because you'll get some help if you get invaded (and Blue Sentinels/Darkmoons will thank you).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hosed up and Siegward got killed during the Yhorm fight :negative: Turns out you really shouldn't stop to fish around your too-crowded inventory to find Storm Ruler if you want him not to die in the most depressing way possible!

My motivation to keep playing today is pretty much shot now :smith:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 10, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Something I want to ask about, regarding ending choices: I found the Eyes of the Firekeeper, and I know that's a requirement for one of the endings, but is it for the 'Good' ending? I know that's similar to how Bloodborne was, where you had to get three items to get the best (or most complete) ending. However, the item description for the Eyes of the Firekeepr made it sound like it giving it to the Firekeeper would affect her negatively.

FWIW that item unlocks the ending I like the best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

Of course, it also doesn't actually matter- the DLC makes it clear that the Link the Fire ending is the canon ending, and always has been; the others are more weird what-ifs.

How so? Can't you do them before the ending?

I sort of figured that there's no real canon ending, with the Ringed City's ending (with a new painted world being made from the blood of the dark soul) being able to work regardless of what happens in the outside world. I might be unaware of something that makes it explicit that Ringed City takes place after the ending of DS3, though in that case if you Linked the Fire, how are you traveling anywhere at all and not just sitting there being tiny, ineffectual kindling?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 11, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is there a glitch that lets invaders go through boss fog doors or is it a hack

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feeling very proud of myself because Champion Gundyr was super hard for me my first time playing the game back in 2016 and I just beat him first try on this run :smuggo:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

Basically getting to the Ringed City involves time travel, and so did building it. It's why, say Patches can be hanging around in Firelink and also running around trying to cure his hollowing in Dreg Heap at the same time. Also why Lothric Castle is simultaneously still standing in the present and also mashed up into the Dreg Heap.

The ash-desert where you fight Gael is the world's ultimate, inevitable fate, and has been ever since Gwyn created the city and the Darksign.

That makes sense. I think I was interpreting giving the blood of the dark soul to the painter as the "real" ending with everything else immaterial to that (what happens on the outside world doesn't matter to her painting), with each being a possibility but none of them necessarily true. I think it's because I read Dark Souls III as the last cycle no matter what the player chooses at the end, given how weak the flame is even if you link it, but that could be where I'm going wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know the Gotthard Twinswords ate a pretty big nerf a few years back but these things still shred and I love them

Sure, I could be doing meaningfully more DPS with the Sellsword Twinblades, but do they have that sick rolling L1 stab? No. Gotthard Twinswords 4 life

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

If an invader has actually gotten into your boss room then yes, they are hacking.

Yeah, a red phantom invader followed me into the Oceiros fight when I posted that so I was somewhat surprised :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

me after beating yhorm: :hellyeah:

me triggering another boss fight immediately after with 0 estus flasks: :staredog:

so uhh...where was that i want my 44k souls back

Start at Vordt's bonfire and head straight up the stairs. That room was the one where you got the banner from the old lady before you fought Vordt at the very beginning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

multijoe posted:

How did you even do that? You had to tag the post-Yhorm bonfire to continue

You don't--I just did that part in my current playthrough. If Yhorm is the last of the pre-Lothric Lords of Cinder you fight, you just get teleported away immediately after the fight ends.

You're free to leave the room you get teleported to but there's no way to know that placing the basin will activate a boss fight if you're playing blind so I can't blame anyone who starts the Dancer fight without realizing what they were getting into :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They do automatically light that bonfire for you so that you can warp back to it, but yeah they don't give you the opportunity to rest at the bonfire before you're teleported away.

It doesn't warp you directly into another boss fight or anything, but there's also absolutely no signposting that doing the thing the dying old lady says to do will immediately trigger another boss fight so :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

:unsmigghh:

in unrelated news, if you're a huge loving dork like me who's willing to watch an hour of a guy using freecam and prism stones, illusorywall started his dark souls 3 dissected series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRhEvTdQgg

This is really cool. I'd just sort of assumed that all the stuff off in the distance was just set dressing in the background but it's really cool to see how much is actually loaded in and how accurate the layout often is. The way these all fit together is really interesting to me.

I haven't watched his series on the first Dark Souls yet but I'm very interested to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been falling in love all over again with the Gotthard Twinswords. I know their damage got nerfed pretty bad a while back, but that rolling L1 is still so drat good and this weapon rules.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Replaying this alongside Dark Souls 1 makes it really stand out how much harder bosses got over the course of the series. I just did the DS1 DLC and Artorias is a chump compared to any similar "dude in armor with a weapon" DS3 boss. He's so much more predictable and getting hit is so much less punishing.

I used to find Artorias really tough but this time I just wrecked him and moved on, it's nuts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The last few posts are not making me look forward to finally starting the Ringed City soon :ohdear:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Back in 2016, Nameless King made me rage harder than any Souls boss I can remember. I found him incredibly hard, and having to do the King of the Storm fight again with each attempt was absolutely infuriating. I beat him eventually, but I felt no satisfaction or pride or even relief by that point. I'd made myself too mad to care.

It's been over four years since I last played Dark Souls III, but yesterday, I beat that fucker second try :smuggo:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

On a whole, the game seems a lot easier that the previous games. The first boss that feels like a roadblock is Pontiff Sulyvan, and even then, you've got a slew of NPC summons to pick from for that fight to make it easier. Bonfire placement is odd, though. In general, it's a lot closer together than before, but I feel like they messed up by having each boss create a bonfire after you defeat them, because often you'll activate the boss bonfire, progress ten feet, and then encounter another bonfire just outside the boss arena (High Lord Wolnir, Old Dragonslayer). The optional areas seem a lot harder, but not by a great deal. Of all the optional bosses, I think the hardest is probably the Nameless King.

It's interesting to see someone say DS3 is easier than the previous games, since I personally find it harder and I know a few people up in the chat thread have accused DS3 of being a "Kaizo hack" Dark Souls game. I think it's the greater emphasis on combat that makes me find DS3 more challenging than any previous Souls game, or even Bloodborne.

I'm having a much easier time this playthrough than I did back in 2016 but having played it sorta concurrently with DS1 and Demon's Souls, DS3 was definitely the hardest to me.

You're not the first person I've seen say DS3 is easier than previous games, either. I'm not objecting or anything, I just find it really interesting how different players find different things more challenging.

Max Wilco posted:

Visually speaking, the game also seems sort of monotonous throughout a lot of it. I don't mean to say the game looks bad; it's very beautiful. From the Cemetary of Ash through to the Cathedral of the Deep/Farron Keep, all the areas are saturated with that yellow sky, which gives everything a brown, murky look. I get that's sort of the point, because it's supposed to be end of the world and such, but I though something DS1 and DS2 did really well was make each area feel really distinct with a more varied use of colors in different environments.

This is the other thing I'm noticing playing multiple Souls games concurrently. That yellow sky for most DS3 really does sort of homogenize the environments, and the places that are really standouts--Irithyll and Archdragon Peak--pop even more because they're the places with different skies. I definitely found myself missing the relative variety of skyboxes from DS1.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 21, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

One of the interesting things about Soulsborne is that seems like there's one boss that's easy for one person and hard for another, but then there's a different boss where it's the opposite. Like, some people say Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne is one of the hardest bosses in the series, and I certainly died to him a lot, but he was relatively easy to figure out compared to Laurence, The First Vicar, which made me want to tear my hair out.

I had a similar experience with Orphan of Kos and Laurence. I actually managed to beat Orphan of Kos first try somehow, but Laurence was a goddamn nightmare for me. Then once I realized that I could stick super close to his right side (the player's left) when he's in the "crawl around and leak lava" mode and be mostly safe I beat him pretty easily. But it took a lot of deaths to get to that point :v:

Max Wilco posted:

The reasons why I think DS3 is easier is partially because the bonfire checkpoints and shortcuts are a lot more frequent, and the difficulty curve of bosses is pretty good. I don't remember Vordt or the Cursewood Tree that well, but I think I was able to beat them first go. I died a bunch to Crystal Sage, but I don't think he's super difficult. Deacons of the Deep are a joke. Abyss Watcher seems hard until you realize they start fighting each other in the first half, and in both forms, you can stagger them with a heavy-enough weapon. Wolnir's has glowing weakpoints. From the Pontiff onwards is where I think the fights start to pick up and get more difficult.

I do appreciate the more frequent bonfires and shortcuts. For me, it's not so much that the bosses are harder (though I think they are, at least once you're past Pontiff)--it's that the combat with regular enemies is more demanding this time. I sometimes say that it feels like some enemies are playing Bloodborne but I'm still playing Dark Souls. Compared to earlier Souls games, there are a lot more aggressive, high-poise, tanky enemies with long, highly-damaging combos that you really just have to learn to dodge with the right timing, and the game is also much more willing to make you fight two or three at once.

This is mostly compared to Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, where for the most part, if you have a really dangerous non-boss enemy, you also have the room to fight it on its own. That's not always the case, but it frequently is. In some cases they even made the aggro ranges really small on those types of enemies so that they could put two or three in a single hallway but you can still safely fight them one at a time. Dark Souls 3 doesn't really let you get away with that--you just gotta learn how to dodge, and dodge consistently.

Bloodborne has a similar design, but because the player is so much faster in Bloodborne (largely owing to the super-fast recovery on the sidestep dodges) and your parry move is ranged, it feels more manageable.

None of this is really a complaint, since I'm having more fun replaying DS3 than I thought I would, just an observation about how the series changed over its installments.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think Max Wilco is alone in finding DS3 easier than 1 or 2. For example, there's this SuperBunnyHop video from a few years ago where he implies he found DS3 easier (something like, if you found DS3 easier than the others, note that there are fewer places to fall to your death in each level, to paraphrase).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9_RJ2EPo0

Thinking about it, DS3 is definitely more generous with bonfires and shortcuts. So maybe a way to put how I feel about it is like, DS3 is harder, but Demon's Souls and DS1 and 2 are more punishing? If that makes sense? I find the moment-to-moment gameplay in DS3 more challenging, but when I die, it feels easier to recover and feels like I lost less time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hate the Witches of Hemwick

Like to the point that I will sometimes intentionally do the trick where you fight them with 0 insight so they don't summon monsters during the fight, and you get to just walk around beating up the witches. I've beaten them a bunch of times by this point but they're just so annoying that sometimes it's just not worth it to bother doing the "real" fight. (This is such a weird scenario, too, because you always gain 1 insight when you first encounter a boss, so to make this even happen you'd have to trigger the fight, leave, spend all your insight, and come back.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the bosses in this series I like the least are the ones who aren't all that hard, they're just annoying. Witch of Hemwick is one of those. I beat the Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled chalice on the first try (I take no credit, it was all Threaded Cane) and I still just feel my blood pressure rising during the Witch of Hemwick fight.

In Dark Souls 3, I think I feel that way the most about the Crystal Sage and the Twin Princes (although Twin Princes are also pretty challenging on top of being annoying). Maybe I just hate enemies that teleport.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne's NG+ balance is weird specifically because of blood gems. I think it's probably the harshest jump from NG to NG+ in the series if you haven't done a bunch of Chalice Dungeons to get really good blood gems. With +10 weapons and blood gems strong enough to beat NG, even the beginning of NG+ feels like a chore because enemy HP kinda goes through the roof.

If you've done that blood gem grinding, then you can kinda just sail right through like it's NG but with higher numbers.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Le0 posted:

Speaking of Bloodborne, I was wondering if there is an issue with my PS4 or something because after playing DS3 at 60FPS playing Bloodborne on the console feels really bad, the game feels laggy as hell and it looks like sometimes it would drop inputs or something. Having said that I just beat Gascoigne and I see how this game can be good, maybe I need to play more but to me for now DS3 plays way better.

Bloodborne notoriously has an issue with frame pacing. You'd assume a game running at 30 frames per second would distribute those frames evenly across each second, right? You'd see one frame every 1/30th of a second. But Bloodborne (and other games that have frame pacing issues) isn't quite so steady. You still get 30 frames in a second, but sometimes there's a stutter and you get multiple frames in quick succession, leading to a general feeling that the frame rate is more juddery than it should be.

If you're playing on a base PS4, it's probably dropping below 30 FPS sometimes, too.

It's one of those things that never used to bother me, but now that I've played a bunch of DS3 at 60 FPS (and the Demon's Souls remake), it takes a while of playing before I get used to the uneven 30 FPS of Bloodborne again.

Bloodborne is an incredibly good game but its frame rate and frame pacing issues are definitely noticeable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

If you have the DeS remake, can't you play BB on the PS5 and that would improve the framerate?

I can play Bloodborne on the PS5, yeah, but it doesn't improve the frame rate one bit. It runs the same as it does in the PS4 Pro's boost mode (or so I hear, I never got a PS4 Pro), which is to say the frame rate stays at 30 more reliably but the frame pacing isn't improved at all. Bloodborne hasn't gotten a patch to take advantage of the PS5 yet and I sorta doubt it will, as much as it would rule.

Incidentally, Dark Souls III has the same frame pacing issue on base PS4/XBone consoles, it's just that DS3 has a PC version where there's no frame pacing issue so a lot of players can escape it. With Bloodborne, you're stuck with it until a patch fixes it, unless you have a jailbroken PS4 Pro and use Lance McDonald's 60 FPS mod. That mod drops the resolution to 720p and lets Bloodborne run at 60 FPS with no frame pacing problems, so the PS5 could absolutely run it at 1080p (or higher) and 60 FPS if it was ever patched to do so.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

Part of the difficultly was definitely just learning dodge timing on bosses but my first playtrough of DS3 only took a max of 3 attempts to down any boss for the first time (including nameless king) with a dodge build.

I guess that's true for me, too, though Nameless King and Soul of Cinder both took me a lot more than three tries. Most bosses didn't. It could be that there's just something about the pace of combat in DS3 that makes me feel like it's harder/more anxiety-inducing even if it isn't that much harder.

Nameless King took me enough tries my first time through that I drat near rage-quit the game, though on the playthrough I'm doing now I beat him on the second try and it felt extremely good :smuggo: