Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It feels like they intended to have bosses give you a coiled sword for placing a bonfire but just started to have bonfires just pop up after they died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think the "make your own bonfire" stuff would have been neat but probably caused some big issues if you picked a bad spot for it.

I figure they would have went with it being irreversible and given per boss.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm sure he's just Solaire or something.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

I guess that would explain why beating a boss says HEIR OF FIRE DEFEATED. Heir to what goddamn fire exactly?

The one that pops up after you kill em.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh man it's a dude in heavy armour with a huge club, I better play carefu....
Lol naw let me just whip out the rapier and stab him like fifty times.

Cathedral of the Deep is really drat fun. Literally every guy keeps bursting into flames and throwing themselves off cliffs and ledges to get me. There was a Evangelist that just casually strolled off a ledge when I hit her with and arrow.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh so turns out poise doesn't effect rolling either. Does it effect superarmour on attacks?

Also where is the stamina shield in the game?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Anal Surgery posted:

Fire makes them wig out but they are still my most hated enemy after the Jumping Goat Fucks in the the swamp

That the leech/uroboros-like thing? Cause fire will do a metric poo poo ton more damage along with stunning them for a good bit.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah you can usually take them out pretty easily just by hucking fire bombs at them. There does seem to be a delay between stuns which is annoying though - they aren't like those worm dudes where you can just smack them with a torch until they die - after they recover from the fire you won't be able to stun them again for a good 5-10 seconds, which makes meleeing them with a fire weapon a bit riskier than throwing bombs.

My fire axe was crapping out nearly 400 a hit though so the initial stun he had was enough to get another swing in.

Do any other elemental infusions have the same effect that fire does on some enemies?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What does the host need to do to be "prepared" for PvP?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I kinda want to do Sirrus's quest but I also want to make my character look more like Nigel Thornberry.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

I'd love for someone to explain to me why the "feminine" slider in character creation makes your character's skin gray.
Also why the masculine side mush all your facial features into the dead center of your face?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow Jailers suck. Even sniping them from across the room their red light can still get you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MZ posted:

Why do some hosts insist on summoning three Sunbros to help with the boss? Sure we beat it but do they not know that it's health shoots up with every summon?

Co-op is fun? :shrug:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:golfclap:
More of this please.

Also gently caress the things screaming when you pick up stuff. Don't need no dumb constant catscares in this game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

I dunno how they hosed the sound design of Irithyll Dungeon so badly. For a team that's coming off of Bloodborne, throwing in loving jump scares is unbelievably amateurship.

The first time it's okay but the place is tense enough with the Jailers that you really don't need to add that in.

Deified Data posted:

I thought these guys were supposed to alert jailers to your presence and that's why they scream? The one in the area with the patrolling jailers outside definitely does.
I did not know about that. Mainly cause usually the Jailers are between you and the item in most cases and you murder them before triggering it. Where are the screamers exactly?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

I believe that there's four in total: one at the entrance, one near the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring door, one to the left near the second floor shortcut, and one in the multi-jailer room next to a body with the Xanthous Ashes. The last one is probably what can get you killed, although I personally just cleared everything out with a bow before exploring much.
:hfive: Bow buddies

Seriously bows solve almost every encounter for me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

Dragonrider Bow is a seriously good weapon as far as bows go. I wish that there were more options other than it and the Composite Bow. I've been considering trying out Black Bow of Pharis to see if it's worthwhile, since apparently Dark Arrows can actually home in on targets Affinity-style.

Yeah once I got the Dragonrider it's been my main one. BF's using the Pharis Bow but puncture seems so much better.

Speaking of which in my BF run he decided to go all Luck. He regretted it til I told him to try bleed weapons. Is there any other suggestions for a luck build?

I got Greirat killed in both our games cause I misread something.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

Anri's is about your only option beyond Hollow-infused Bleed weapons. Carthus Curved Sword/Carthus Curved Greatsword are both good. The Spiked Mace is quite solid, and is more or less an instant kill in PVP if you have Carthus Rouge on (R1 -> L2 -> R2 combo will kill anyone who doesn't have insane bleed resistance).

Eh, probably never gonna focus on PvP but still good stuff to consider.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deckit posted:

NO TAKE TREASURE

MYWIFEGAVEMETHATLARGESHARDICANTBELIVEYOUWOULDTAKETHATAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Then who's the third guy?

It's YOU! The player!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deep water was okay for that one section in Irithyll where it's tense and you're slowed.

In Farron is makes the place feel twice as long to get through.

Also just put in the stupid ring for it because everybody's just getting past it by having a dagger equipped instead.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ah you found the bonus stage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pontiff Sulyvahn was fun. Summoned Anri and Gotthard for it since I missed the gesture before and Anri cool.

Afterwards two folks invaded immediately and moidered me. It was cool we sorta just had a bog standard fight, no rapiers, no hiding behind guys. Is this a covenant location? Hope they got an item for that fight.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh that's good then.

Oh, how is anybody meant to find out about the darkmoon covenant normally/naturally?
Even the game questions you on how you found out about it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had none when I went down there. Which was really weird considering the amount you used to get in the crystal caves in DS1.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I figured something would be there once I activated the elevator but really didn't think it'd be an invisible bridge.

I like how it connects to the church but I didn't think the church was that tall.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

scamtank posted:

Even the crystal cave had the decency to nudge the player towards the unthinkable by first placing "???" messages in midair.

In this case though it's a optional area so they probably wanted to keep it fairly secret.

The crystal caves gave other visual cues by the "snow" dropping on the invisible bridge. Here either you get messages or you get nothing and just think there's another way to the tower from below.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you're right, but I could see a dark souls 1 player figuring that out for themselves had they explored the church below and noticed that yorshka's platform was directly above it

Yeah that's possible if you're able to crank up the camera high enough and lay out the map in your head. I don't think that's a "Dark Souls 1" player only sorta thing though.

Otherwise though you're almost reliant on messages appearing to know it's a invisible bridge. I'm gonna take a look at the place again, i'm sure there's another visual cue I missed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think figuring out the tower and church link is fine but personally it feels like it's either messages or guesswork for knowing it's an invisible bridge if there's no visual cues like the crystal caves.

Anyway that's a silly side thing to get stuck on, so I tried Aldrich and it looks like it's a repeat of the Crystal Sage with me chasing him about the place. He got me with the arrow rain attack. I'm doing gently caress all damage with Dragonslayer's Axe +6 though, is there any particular weapon I should be taking in against him?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't like the callbacks that feel very in-your-face but seriously it's not ruining the game or anything. Call backs are just a sort of thing you either love or hate and move on past to see the next original piece the game has.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"Do not fall for the leveling intellegence meme"

Lol

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Atreiden posted:

the elder scroll comparison is good, because TES games always starts you of as nameless prisorner who is set on some quest just like DS nameless undead and both games feature recurring items, lore etc. But What I and others don't like about DS3 is it does it with far more than just items and lore tidbits. DS3 have a lot of areas that are more or less directly lifted from DS1, to do a fanservice thing. After the tutorial you go to a castle zone with a dragon on a bridge -remember this from ds1!

:eyepop: just going on record that I don't like callbacks but what you're calling callbacks area really drat loose. Next you'll be saying the Lava/Ice zone tropes are direct rips from other souls game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Have they fixed poise yet?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What does the Dragon Torso Stone do besides make you look ridiculous?

Also any suggestions for Aldrich? I feel like i'm doing gently caress all damage and chasing him around is a pain.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deified Data posted:

So regarding the batwing demons transporting you to Undead Settlement that everyone hates - is it really nonsensical? In the first game they saw fit to transport the chosen undead to somewhere they couldn't reach on foot and they did the same thing in DS3. They're mentioned as being chaos demons but we still have no idea who they serve and why. They clearly have an interest in prolonging the age of fire and help you to that end. Or maybe they just serve the Serpents and like loving with you.
It was about as nonsensical as in the first game. First game though it was an excellent way of showing off Anor Londo for your first time while in DS3 you pretty much can see where you're going already.

Atreiden posted:

He is fairly weak to lightning, if you got the dragonslayer axe from Sirris questline that weapon works pretty well and can be buffed with lightning resin. Same with the lothric knight UGS you can buy from Grairat.
I'm using that very same axe at +6 and it just feels like it's not doing enough. In that case though I must be messing up his pattern since for the first phase he just teleports away once I get to him and I don't get a second hit.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why is his crest directly looking at her! Get this fake Solaire poo poo outta here!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

They won't fix poise because they've been called out on a mistake, and it's standard Japanese developer response to deny-deny-deny. They can't acknowledge that they were wrong, or worse - lying, now. It's the exact same situation as the DS2 durability bug (which was also "working as intended").

Oh well. Someday they'll rethink it and fix it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I can't believe they just renamed Siegmeyer and put him back in DS3!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ballista seems like the only way for that.

Has anybody here actually taken on the worm without hiding behind that one rock and having the ballista take care of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

nominal posted:

In DS2 that sort of thing was breakable by a firebomb/black firebomb but I didn't really think about that until right now so I'm not sure if that actually works.

I thought that in cases with DS2 it wasn't your firebomb it was the oil barrels that were actually set off because of your firebombs. Hence why you could also use a fire longsword or arrows/bolts to do it.