Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Last night I dreamt that DS3 was a crossover game, and all of the fast moving beast monsters from Bloodborne invaded Lordran, except it was modern day Lordran and there were people and cars and poo poo and it was so violent. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just realised that I'm more excited to see whatever the new hub area/safe space is and what its music is like than for the rest of the game right now.

I think Majula changed me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man it's crazy how good this game looks and plays on PC, especially coming straight from DS1 and 2.

It does give me a bit of a twinge of regret that we'll never see BB on PC. Can't wait to play more of this tonight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What's this poo poo I heard about the early game being really easy? The first post-tutorial area is at least as hard as all of the other starting areas. I'm getting my arse kicked.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After the second boss I found three bonfires in approximately 90 seconds. Slightly excessive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pikey posted:

Goddamnit. I always feel the need to do my first run in a souls game as deprived, otherwise I don't get the Real Dark Souls Experience.

I get through the tutorial ok, dying a couple times on the boss but then in the next section end up getting my poo poo pushed in by the shadow Plagas dudes.

Reassure me goons. Tell me its ok to pick a normal class :(

It's definitely not ok. Keep going skeleton boy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I wouldn't mind dying to the Firelink sword guy so many times, but the loading screen fog barrier at the shrine's exit makes it really frustrating.

I'm thinking I should have put this on my SSD.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

Catacombs boss effectively has a time limit where if you don't do the right thing quick enough, he uses an attack that's impossible to dodge. That's absolutely a gimmick.

A gimmick?

Or a challenge?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anyone else getting this minor audio glitch? The background ambience restarts itself every time a new line of dialogue starts or I make a menu selection.

It's a tiny thing but very annoying. I've only noticed it in Undead Settlement so far.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aw man I was really excited to get a greatsword but the combat in this game is far too quick to use one. In DS1 you had plenty of time for the ridiculous swings.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I remember seeing someone mention that Onionbro is hanging around the well at the start of the Cathedral.

He's not there. Have I missed a vital Onionbro step? :ohdear:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can someone spoil me as to whether there's anyone other than the initial throne dude that I could be keeping my boss souls back for?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, I hated Cathedral of the Deep at first but having had a proper look around it's such an excellent area. Up there with the best of the series in my (terrible) estimation.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh god drat it. I didn't realise that burning bone shards improved your flask across all bonfires. I thought you levelled each individually so I was saving them.

I was wondering what the point would be in upgrading a bonfire when there's one every three steps.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Forgive me if I'm an idiot but why should Knight be filtered?

Other than it being a stupid thing to call yourself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:( Oh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lol at dying to Abyss Watchers because a poison mook with a spear poked me through the fog gate mid-fight.

Also gently caress the Abyss Watchers. I get why they're not that hard but I can't get a grasp on them, especially in part 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah man, the linear nature of the game really sucks when it means I can't put off the Catacombs for 20 hours like in DS1. :(

No joke it's kind of a bummer how much of a straight line it's been so far, with a few exceptions. DS2 was pretty heavily criticised for its linearity but at least that gave you two or three long, linear paths to go down.

I do like that I've been consistently travelling downwards throughout though. DS1 had about four different paths that went an equal distance downwards from the starting point, DS2 had one fairly long one, but this has been like a nice, long, gradual descent.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 17, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

For a game that everyone is saying made magic useless, it sure has a poo poo tonne of loot and NPCs dedicated to magic. I swear almost everything I find is a spell, tome or magical garb.

gently caress magic. Give me more armour and swords, game!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

To whoever recommended the Dark Sword a few pages ago, thank you. It led to me farming Darkwraiths, and now I'm a Zweihander wielding skull demon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I suck at invading. Every time they're either amazing or there's a sunbro and multiple phantoms helping them.

The one person I've actually killed was at like 4% health and was trying to ambush me so I waited around for ages before having the poo poo scared out of me. This is why I've never bothered with PvP. :colbert:

This is loving annoying btw.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stokes posted:

I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong but Patches wasn't in the Cathedral, yes I know he's dressed as Onionbro, no I didn't kill the boss at Farron's Keep. Every single door is open to the Cathedral but he's nowhere to be found.

I never saw him at the Cathedral, but I did find Onionbro in the well after meeting Patches in Firelink and opening the doors.

Apparently Patches robbed Onionbro while I was escaping the tower. Pathceeeeeeeeees!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it scummy to invade someone with a Red Eye Orb just so you can have a look around the area unhindered by enemies?

Because it feels really sort of necessary in the Catacombs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kikkelivelho posted:

I feel like this game has by far the easiest bosses in the series. I've soloed every boss so far and most of them are were easy after a few tries. The challenge comes mainly from the disgustingly high damage some of them dish out. There's also a lot of puzzle/gimmick bosses that become almost trivial once you figure out what the solution is.

I suck at videogames but I could never bring myself to not solo any boss in any of these games. I think I co-oped for The Rotten in DS2 and felt like scum after.

Also just beat Wolnir. Shat my pants completely the first time. The second time I killed him in like 20 seconds. <3

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Real hurthling! posted:

the abyss watchers fight might be the easiest in any souls game. or maybe i have too much health

This is a sick joke.

It's not terribly difficult but it's not Deacons, Wolnir or Covetous.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Invasions attempted: 15+
Invasions won: 1

I am the PvP master.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Getting a mimic and a giant fire demon to kill each other was the highlight of my yesterday.

They literally got each other's health bars down to nothing and the demon won by a scratch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't even entertain the possibility that a chest isn't a mimic anymore. If I see a box I smack it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan Smithee posted:

really any sort of HOLY OBJECT ISNT WHAT IT APPEARS TO BE moment would be nice

so far the only new one I've seen is the soul corpses yelling at you like this is some 2005 flash video screamer bullshit

gently caress the ithryll dungeons

The cages full of corpses in Undead Settlement only start attacking you after you've seen enough of them to assume they're no threat. That definitely got me the first time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pretty much going all heavy at the moment, and I finally found a second heavy gem. My first one went on my broadsword. Currently debating whether to use the second on my dark sword or the Zweihander.

Or is there another weapon that would massively benefit from it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I summoned in NPCs to get through Sulyvhan and now I feel like scum. :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do all the fun covenant's rewards have to be magic based? gently caress magic, give me cool armour and swords.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress I finally beat Aldrich. It came down to both of us being at basically zero health, me having no healing items left and sprinting towards him hoping I get a hit in before he does.

We died simultaneously and I got pissy until I realised I got the kill credit. I'll take a draw, Aldy. :)

I guess I have to go into this loving dungeon now. :negative:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think I'm getting towards the end now. It's taking me loving forever but drat it I'm gonna finish this one.

I can't believe how easy the Dragonslayer Armour was. I was in full 'oh poo poo' mode when I stepped through the fog wall but the fight lasted like 30 seconds. Considering how many times Yhorm and Dancer crushed me I was amazed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Notorious QIG posted:

Those phase 2 arrows are easily my least favorite thing about an otherwise-great fight. It's just so annoying that the arrows last long enough that he can launch a second attack while you're still running away.

Those arrows killed me like ten times but they were my favourite thing about that fight. They made it a constant challenge to get close.

The worst thing was when the little bitch teleported away as soon as you closed the gap.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, the dark Firelink shrine got me good. Now I'm trying to figure out whether the 'main' shrine is a past, future or dream version.

Also I'm guessing that giving the keeper those eyes triggered a different ending. Can someone let me know if I'll be able to choose outright at the end, or if I have to kill her now to stop it? Also will letting her live override all of the work I put in to become a dark lord zombie?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really want to see how this game's map (in terms of where stuff is located) compares to DS1's. Maybe someone could make a 3D map and overlay it.

Also I doubt it given the game's linearity, but has anyone noticed any funky transitions or areas being on top of each other like DS2 was filled with? (I like to explain DS2's weirdness by assuming that it's the SMB2 or the Link's Awakening of the series and is just a hosed up dream).

stev fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 7, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp I feel like Nameless King and Lorian are both pretty much impossible with my build. This is gonna be a gruelling final stretch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

What's your build?

If you just feel like you messed up, you can respec (unless you've already done it 5 times).

40 strength, 30 vigour, 30 endurance and 20 dex, with everything else loving off.

It's carried me fine through everything else but this is doing my balls in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This spot marks our grave...