Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So has there been any word on returning softban or any other kind of anti-cheat?

Also after utterly failing to be engrossed in Bloodborne I'm pretty excited to have a new souls game and I hope they didn't take too much from Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Whatever DS2 PC has.

So cheat all you want, just don't touch the souls?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

panda clue posted:

why isn't dark souls 3 called demons souls 2?

gently caress this game, uninstalled, steam refund in process

They should totally hook up with Sony again and make Demons Souls 2 just to confuse everyone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Walrus posted:

theres no way the things going 'give us smooth' are at all cute. likely not even birds.

My friend actually tried to start an argument with me over whether or not they were birds. He kept insisting they were just invisible people.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

longest 5 mins ever

Watch the servers implode.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't like this guy as much as my usual Dark Souls characters, he just looks kind of sad and gross.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

660 TI and seeing bon fires crash me. There's like a 20% chance of a crash.

poo poo, I've got the same card. How's the performance otherwise?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No crashes but the framerate tends to be unstable for me on my 660. I'm assuming its just because it's an old card? I've got it set to windowed mode and it defaulted to high, but once I got to firelink it decided I had an unsuitable framerate for online and kicked me to offline. Oh well I probably wouldn't be doing any co-op or invasions for a while yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Bite the drat bullet and set your settings to low, people, theres not much of a difference.

But then I'll only see ten reflected shiny butts and ninty nine pieces of wavy grass instead of twelve butts and a hundred grass.

Anyway that first boss was pretty rad, if confusing. Why did he turn into a resident evil boss? I guess that'll be explained. I liked it though, a simple fight to get back into the game and I can't wait to get good and go back and beat that stupid lizard to death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I managed to get my framerate not bad by turning off poo poo I hate like motionblur and reducing reflections and crap like that so the game still looks good and things I don't actually pay attention to, don't ruin the show.

Also there's a giant tree, like the one from Dark Souls 2, near the shrine. Neat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Katanna guy is supposed to be hard? I killed him without taking damage. I was super paranoid about his weird stance being a parry though so I threw fireballs in his face a lot.

I tried to roll behind him for a backstab and he was having none of that.

EDIT: wait is there no bonfire in firelink?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what do you do when the katana guy just spams his dash attack non-stop? Because I can't even get him to do a single parryable attack or anything. He just does that one attack constantly, I can't get behind him and I can't parry it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

If you can't beat him don't worry about it too much, you don't really have to. And you can always push him off the ledge :cheeky:
I just found out you can parry the dash attack. I am not stopping until I kill this rear end in a top hat. Vengance will be mine, little 200 damage chunks at a time!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So every time I die to katanaman there's a fog gate over the exit to firelink. What's up?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Phoix posted:

It's a weird way to mask loads. That's the only place I've seen it be an issue so far.

Thought so, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some secret super boss lurking around. I finally killed him and got his katana. Hooray.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

That explains it. Thanks. (Still would have been better to just let you level at every bonfire but eh)

This game seems to be making a lot of Demons Souls callbacks though. Granted Darksouls 2 did the same thing but she even chants something similar to what the black maiden or whatever did in Demons. It's probably the closest we'll get to a PC port of Demon's Souls.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I took a break and man, I'm not happy to hear there's another dragon run. I liked that about dark souls 2, far less dragons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So has anyone tried killing the little king dude in firelink?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Ok that's really straightforward

Covenents usually are. The tricky bit is figuring out how to join them. Sometimes you talk to a dude. Sometimes you offer your soul to a titty spider. Other times you throw yourself into the blackest abyss and just hope there's something there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

lol these people who didn't play bloodborne

I didn't like bloodborne at all yet I'm loving this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

lovely driver calls triggering on certain materials.

This is why i only update my graphics drivers if they crash.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Etrips posted:

As a newbie knight, what should I be dumping my stats into?

Whatever you want. Do you have anything in mind for what you want to wield later on down the road? DEX and STR are always good choices if you plan to be melee. VIT is nice since it increases your equipload and being able to fast roll in a nice shiny suit of armor feels good. Otherwise you can't go wrong with health or stamina.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Man, I missed having a shield in Bloodborne, this feels so much more natural to me.

Also I forgot to select a starting gift like an idiot. Oh well. Maybe selecting nothing will lead to a big secret :smith:

Honestly most of the starting gifts in this game kind of blow, probably because in the other games there was always one that was almost gamebreakingly good. The fire gem is probably the best one this time around for the early damage, but overall they're nothing that really makes or breaks the game. I went with the health ring just because.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

axeil posted:

So I figured out what the Fire Keeper Soul is for

It's to clear the Dark Sigil you get if you use the free level up from your sorcerer buddy slave. Of course it costs the same as a level up to cure so yeah, nothing's free

So what's the downside to using the thing in the first place?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So huh, you can get backstabs while blocking now.

Also question, can you warp from any bonfire?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So these big knight guys in the first real area, I can't back stab them apparently. Can they be parried? The ones with a shield are pain in my rear end because the shield is big and blocks most of the damage.

EDIT: Oh. Cool. The big mutating guy respawns every time. I thought he was a miniboss. Is there a shortcut I can unlock or something?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 12, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Anyone know where I can get a better weapon any time soon? I love Great Swords or even Ultra Great Swords, this starting sword just doesn't do it for me and I'm not sure I really want to go whole hog and put the points into Dex right now or not to wield the katana.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's an elevator not too much past him, or yeah, you can book it.

Or just invest his soul value in arrows every time and plink his rear end to death from the top of the ladder. :v:

I have arrows but no bow. Anyway turns out I'm not far from the boss apparently. Just run from the fat guy downstairs and I'm there. I think at least. Sadly I have no estus because I got hit by poo poo and now am considering just going back and then trying again. Does the big guy respawn by and by? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat. At one point I had him fall down a ledge but his spear can go through all physics objects and kill me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I shove the souls in to use the katana, turns out it does way less damage than my sword. Bummer, oh well I upgraded the sword I found and now off to kill this jackass, hopefully I can make it to him without getting my poo poo kicked in this time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The first real boss is pretty fun. Still simple but interesting and introduces something new. I feel like this game above all else takes the best from the souls series so far and does its best to make the most of it, it even takes elements from two and uses them in cool ways and it gets a lot from bloodborne without its front loaded bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and am going to play the hell out of it, but does it feel like a weird amount of fan service? Like I can tell half the enemies were put in just because people liked them and wanted their poo poo and they don't thematically fit there at all, and a lot of the zones seem to be them squashing two or more levels together (i.e. Farron feels a lot like Blighttown and Forest, Catacombs feel like...well, the Catacombs, plus Sen's and the Depths). I mean I'm not complaining, it just feels weird.

What enemies? That being said it is pretty fan servicey considering how many returning weapons there are, some odd choices made it in as boss soul weapons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what does hollowing do in this game anyway? Like, what are the side effects of dying after you get the mark, and accumulating more of them?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

One thing I don't like is that enemies tend to be inconsistent about combos. I fight this lotheric knight like ten times, he does a two hit combo every time. Eleventh time I fight him, I go for the kill after the second hit and he busts out a five hit combo for the first time ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So this game has taught me to fear naked harmless looking hollows. I like to kill them before they transform.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So the dragon on the wall, I hate it and I want it to die. Has anyone figured out a good way to do it? The fire seems to hit everywhere and anywhere.

EDIT: Turns out the answer is to stand in the doorway below the tower fire and shoot it in the rear end. It doesn't die though and that makes me mad. I lust for dragon death.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 13, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

Decide on a direction you want to go in, make some headway into the other direction until Halitosistraza starts emitting fire and back up until it's done, then Run Like Hell in the direction you chose. Ahead and to the right underneath the turret ( with the bonfire up top), you can stand in the doorway and shoot about a hundred arrows into it's left wing to get it to gently caress off so you can loot in peace. I would really recommend you stand in the doorway before unleashing arrows. :v:

Yeah, figured it out. Then I used the last of my arrows and firebombs to kill that mimic because the first time I fought it, it kicked me in the skull and broke my defense and almost oneshot me. Then kicked me again and that was that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I love reading the wiki and seeing how many people are jumping the gun on the lore poo poo. This boss wields a sword? It must be artorias! And then half the pages half people writing fanfiction comments for ~lore reasons~. I can't wait for this to turn out like the bloodborne wiki where people just start wiping out whole pages of useful information over lore edit battles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So there's one door I can't seem to figure out in the Wall of Lothric. It's the area below the tower bonfire, before the locked up NPC. It's a one way door with what looks like an elevator behind it, I can't seem to figure out what it could possibly lead to or how to open it, anyone know?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You get the key to that MUCH, much later in the game. It only contains a single enemy, who drops the infinite use red orb

You're meant to go "argh, what's that? oh well I'll come back later" :)

Oh, okay for some reason I could have sworn it said it was one of those doors you could only open from behind and so I was running in circles trying to find a shortcut I missed or something. Thanks, now to move on after spending these souls so they don't go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Solomonic posted:

I managed to go into this totally unspoiled and am having a blast so far

Can I just say that, after the previous three games in the series had me fighting a skeleton made of skeletons, an army of skeletons that creates a bigger army of skeletons, and a giant electric beast skeleton, I find it extremely good that the end of the series throws me up against a skeleton the size of a skyscraper who summons other skeletons and also bonewheels. GOTY

I just hope they make at least one more spinoff where you fight skeleton voltron.