Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone know which is the less-restrictive of the cross-region play settings? You'd think it would be "matchmaking on" but maybe "matchmaking on" means it matchmakes you with people in your region and "matchmaking off" means it lets you see everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a cop posted:

Does anyone know which is the less-restrictive of the cross-region play settings? You'd think it would be "matchmaking on" but maybe "matchmaking on" means it matchmakes you with people in your region and "matchmaking off" means it lets you see everyone.

I can't find any definitive answer for this online haha. Oh from.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Can't believe the xanthous crown is so easy to get in this game :\

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

1v2'ing in this game is so loving fun. The Astora Sword (or general sword) moveset fucks poo poo UP. The lunge for rollers and upward slash for people with shields + a mana estus or two just wrecks people.

I'm going to be swamp bro invading for a long rear end time. Gonna try to max out that covenant while the going's hot.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm getting wolfbro summons nonstop at level 36/+3 weapon.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What's the deal with my parry not allowing for a followup attack? I'm doing it in pvp and it's negating the damage but otherwise not bothering the other player at all. Same with npcs.

e: Nevermind, it's because Caestus doesn't have "parry" on it :\ that sucks!!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harrow posted:

You might be just barely missing the timing. If you miss the timing a bit, you get a "partial parry" that blocks some of the damage but doesn't set them up for a riposte.

I think it's because Caestus doesn't have "parry" on it. Gonna try unarmed, I know I was parrying when I was unarmed and the animation is exactly the same for 1 hand caestus so I figured it would work but maybe not. .

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yup. If I want to easy parry -> attack with my Raw Astora Sword I have to go 100% unarmed, parry, and then switch back to the Astora Sword to attack. I wanted to have Caestus in my left hand slot so I didn't have to switch on or off (it's easy to just go 2hand or not) but alas. You usually can't parry with Astora because L2 is weapon stance.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol. Going unarmed, waiting for people to attack you, parrying, and switching to a different weapon to follow up owns in pvp.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This is how I played my pugilist character in dark souls 2. Thinking about reviving him for 3 but with the way pvp is looking like it's panning out it might be terrible.

https://gfycat.com/FirmWellinformedKentrosaurus

It's been aight for me but I'm still early on (only in the mid 30s), what's wrong with that gyfcat though?? Looks like the punching guy is getting some good staggering hits in and the shield guy isn't actively defending.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Macintosh HD posted:

It may be a lot to ask, but can someone give a brief summary of this whole covenant system? I hear people talking about sunbros, bluecops, etc. What's the significance? I'm new to the Souls series and I understand that online play is unusual. I just can't find a good summary of this nonsense.

They're basically factions. They let you do stuff to gain "reputation" which usually results in items or gear. Sunbros gives you a coin every time you successfully help someone in co-op. Blue cops are counter-invaders- if someone has the blue help-me thing enabled then blue-cops get summoned to their world when they get invaded. DS3 makes it easier than ever to switch between factions because it's just an item you equip in your menu (it's to the right of all your rings).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Macintosh HD posted:

That's loving awesome.

Yup. Once you find the item it's super easy to equip it to do that faction's thing. You still have to find the NPC/place in-world where you turn in your coins/whatever you get for satisfying the faction's demands and in return get the items when you turn in enough, but it definitely owns.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol, I've gone against 3 people so far while swamp broing who immediately do something to disconnect once I kill their allies on PS4. Ultra buttery smooth 1v2 for a minute or two but bam, once I kill their buddy they run a little bit and then stop moving and I can't attack them and I get a connection error. Laaaame.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm with you there.

Like, I want to see From continue to make cool, thoughtful action-RPGs, but Souls fatigue might just actually be setting in for me.

Idk. I like almost everything about DS3 more than Bloodborne, soo...

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol. I love killing people's Yellowfinger Haysel invader in the swamp as a swamp bro. I killed someone's after they'd already died, I wonder if they still got the items..

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hahahahaha I just entered a world as a wolf/swampbro that was utter chaos. There was the host, a white defender, a blue cop, two red invaders, and two wolfbros all just going at it. poo poo gets all wonky when there's so many people too- I as a wolfyswampybro could attack all the NPCs, and all the NPCs reacted to me like I was a "good" player, but killing them netted 0 souls. The red invaders/other wolfbros were in the same boat, and most of them died to the giant enemy crabs. I hunted down the host and died right as I killed them. It was nuts!!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Technically you can get the full red eye orb without ever going to that area.

Oh gently caress there's a full red eye orb in this????

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

killstealing posted:

yes and you can get it easily as well, talk to a suspicious guy inside the shrine

I talked to the guy who gives you 5 cracked red eyes but then he disappeared...what triggers the one who gives you the full!?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Orv posted:

Beat the tree boss, get a pale tongue, he'll be back.

I beat the tree boss but I don't have a pale tongue (assuming it's under key items) so what the!!

codo27 posted:

Talk to the guy leaning on the middle throne in Firelink. I think he gives you the key? You need a key to enter a lift in the first area, Lothric, where you go down and fight one of those guys who also appear in the swamp.

I talked to him, he gave me 5 cracked red eye orbs and I haven't seen him since, no key. Double what the...

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pale Tongue is gotten in the other part of the Undead Settlement where the fire demon is.

Huh...not ringing a bell but I'm way beyond there so I guess i'll just look up a guide.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm up to 16 Wolfbro Swordgrass after starting the night with zero. I can't stop.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol all of the wolfsbro rewards are entirely loving useless for me. Oh well, still gonna max it out!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hoooly poo poo, why is Lightning Spear so insanely weak in this game? I'm feeling like I pumped all these points into faith for nothing now :\ It does like 90 damage when Soul Arrow does 70 for a third of the mana cost.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Lightning Spear line in DS3 does more damage the closer you are. Yes, it's a bizarre design choice. :shrug:

Oh wow lol.

e: Even at point blank it only does around 100 though. This is with a +2 talisman with a 14 faith req and A faith scaling.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

Yeah I've got 22 faith and I get about 1.5 enemies worth of lightning spears out of a full mana bar. I guess I don't know what I was thinking, since I heard offensive miracles were pretty weak in this game. I'd like to just power through with a hybrid melee/faith build using a lightning infused weapon, but I don't know where the lightning gems or the coal to forge them come from and I suspect I'm not there yet. I've killed 4 bosses and the deep battle axe is still doing work, but I don't know how much longer until I just hit a brick wall and don't do enough damage to progress reasonably quickly.

Yeeaahhh, poo poo. Guess I'll just put in enough points for midheal and call it. Is there respeccing in this?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh poo poo, now when you die as an invader you drop your souls where you died in THEIR world, not where you used the orb in your world (like in ds2). That's neat.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Was the online in the last two games this hosed on release? I know Bloodborne had crummy online but that was because the requirements for it were weird, not that the system literally did not function properly.

It's been working flawlessly for me on PS4.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does faith get good for anything other than extra heals later in the game? All of the early offensive stuff seems to suck rear end!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Alteisen posted:

So I can play offline? My internet is garbage and unstable as hell and I just had the game throw me to the title screen because of the net hiccups, and if that happens during a tough boss fight I'm gonna be rather annoyed.

yes

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

96 spacejam posted:

I let the Onion Knight die and attacked the Giant at the top of the tower. How bad did I gently caress up?

:pwn:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The pvp in this game owns SO MUCH. I love the 3v3 (or more!) + AI battles in the swamp when you have red phantoms, white phantoms, swamp bros, crabs, tree guys, cross boys etc all going at it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really great when it's working, the problem is it's mostly not.

Works flawlessly for me on PS4 :ssh:

I've got 24 wolfbro trophies, 11 white tongues and 3 blue tongues.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The forest is an awesome place to farm tongues because if you ever got caught in a situation where it's 1v2 or 1v3 and they refuse to come out after you you can just wait a minute or two for watchdog reinforcements and duke it out in a team battle :hellyeah:

e: Also using the red eye orb in the forest is INSTANT. Like zero wait from the second you use it. Best dark souls ever.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Umm..does anyone have a recommendation for what weapon I should use if I have 10str/10dex/20 faith besides "get more stats" or "respec"? I'm using a raw astora's but it's starting to get kinda long in the tooth vs some of the people I'm fighting against..

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh whoa, so the finger item makes it so you can summon THREE allies!?!?! That's insane..

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Anony Mouse posted:

Jesus christ I give up on invading, completely loving pointless.

Use the NPCs to your advantage or invade in areas with separate invasion covenants (swamp swamp swamp). I'm at nearly 30 tongues :toot:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm up to 36 tongues. I've hardly progressed since I got the full red eye orb!!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Where do you find the "HEY!" and "HELLO!" vocal emote things

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nuggan posted:

Give a present to a bird friend.

I tried a bunch of items w/ them, what do they actually respond to in ds3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Tabletops posted:

my invasion win/loss is like 5 wins to 50 losses. it's terrible.

drat, what do you think you're doing wrong? I love invading, I'm done w/ tongues so now I'm farming sunlight medals with it. It's much faster than cooping for em.