Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Parrying in Souls games isn't as safe and reliable as deflecting is in Sekiro, because Parrying has a recovery and Deflecting does not.

Nevertheless, I have in my hand a list of enemies who are trivialized by parrying in this series:

DS1: Gwyn and his various Silver and Black Knights.

DS2: Pursuer, Velstadt, and Heide Knights.

Pursuer and Velstadt can't be grabbed after the parry, but their punish window after a parry is fairly long and you can get a few R1s in. Heide Knights have dangerously high poise early in the game, but if you play reactively a single parry can end the fight outright.

DS3: Champion Gundyr and Pontiff Sulyvahn.

Champion Gundyr has a long list of combos, but if you parry each opener it basically ends the entire string and you can immediately punish. Pontiff Sulyvahn is weird because successful parries can give you a window to burn through his entire phase 1 health bar.

ER: Crucible Knights and Commanders

Sword and Shield Crucible Knights are basically impossible to attack out of neutral, and otherwise have very complex and delayed attack strings. Being able to parry his openers on reaction lets you get straight into their health.

Commanders are huge pains to fight with their complete resistance to ministuns, but they are also very vulnerable to baiting out parries.

Bloodborne: Everyone

Bloodborne is a bit of an outlier in that almost everyone is parryable, and while the fundamentals of its gun parry resembles that of the mainline series, it's also about as safe as that of a Sekiro deflect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Radagon of the Golden Order is basically Nameless King, except with more range punishes and gap closers.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Midir has a long and predictable punish window after every single one of his combos. So just learn to dodge each one and he’s dead meat.

Tricky to learn, but easy to master.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The big laser can be dodged by sprinting to his left hind leg (your right). Chill there, buff up, and sprint to his head and get several punishes in while Midir is gassed.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Dragonslayer Axe has excellent faith scaling. If you raw infuse you can also buff it with greases and enchants.

I for one plan on using Lothric Knight Greatsword and cosplaying as Laxasia during Return to Lothric.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Anri's is also unique in that you load into a new instance, you are the summon in their world. Meaning your flasks are halved, you lose any embering. And you also get embered if you were not beforehand, which is honestly quite handy.

They explored this mechanic further in Yura's questline in Elden Ring.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI you can safely just use a Fire or Chaos or Dark Longsword (that's right, the same one the Knight class starts with) and have 90% of the same functionality as an LKSS. LKSS really shines in pvp, where spacing matters and that extra length really helps with spacing and roll-catching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Last Celebration posted:

lol that the Crystal Sage clones have like 1 HP so the cheap as poo poo throwing knives every build can use make them way more manageable than probably intended. Also I remember the watchdog minibosses being a lot harder, I still cheesed one (curved sword guy) but that’s because Muhammed Ali came and almost killed me while i was fighting them. Man, summons are great sometimes, I almost miss how Elden Ring made it nearly impossible to be ambushed by some weirdo.

The throwing knife trick turns a boss that would otherwise be a complete nightmare at high NG cycles or at SL1 extremely doable.

Also trying to hit the clones with an UGS is also extremely annoying and would otherwise lead to a huge number of chain punishes.