Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

HairyManling posted:

I've been keeping my hype in check because really, a 40 year old man shouldn't be getting excited for video games any more. But holy poo poo am I pumped for tomorrow!

I can't remember if this was answered in the last thread, but is there a password system this time? And if so has a goon password been decided yet?

I'm pretty sure someone said in the other thread that a password was no longer a thing, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm older than you are and pumped as hell (and quite a few people at work are taking Tuesday off--granted, I work in a game studio, so it's not your normal bunch of supposed adults, but still...)

Jastiger posted:

Yeah I have a 360. Looks like investing in an adapter may make sense. I've played all previous games on 360, but I can't monopolize the TV anymore. PC it is.

You shouldn't need an adapter (unless I'm misunderstanding you). I just plug my 360 controller into my PC and it works.

Re: starting class, there's a min/max part of me that wants to pick a class that has <10 on the stats I don't care about, to get that much more mileage (e.g. if I don't care about strength or faith, and pick sorcerer that's 6 "free levels" since they start with 7 in both). On the other hand, deprived has a certain pull to it, since I've decided in advance that I'm going to savor this game like a fine wine and starting with a (relatively) clean slate just makes that even more fun. Decisions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

The password still exists, still lets you ignore SL and will manage your power level if it is massively different from the summoner.

Ah, cool--thanks for the correction (and also, that's a pretty interesting feature)!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Either something really loving weird just happened, or there's been some major mechanic change around bonfires. I just got killed by a combo of an enemy plus a mound-maker invader (who just instantly attacked me...sigh), and when I respawned, I was at a bonfire that I had never lit or rested at. My last bonfire was the first one in Undead Settlement, and this one is apparently the second, but I've never seen it before. I'll have to load the game back up and see if I can figure out where I am.

I had a Ring of Sacrifice equipped, since I had a shitload of souls--maybe they work differently now? :confused:

Edit: Oh, okay, it's a bonfire right after the gate? Somehow I got distracted and walked right past it without seeing it, but I spawned at it anyway?

Harrow posted:

I feel like I'm handicapping by not using a straight sword or the Uchigatana. Are there any good-for-PvE weapons other than those in the first half of the game? Everything else I've tried (granted I'm more of a Dex build) just doesn't seem to have the moveset to deal with the fast, aggressive, high-poise enemies.
I've been thrashing the poo poo out of things with just the regular dagger. It has a great skill (quick juke/dash), but more importantly it hits super quickly and doesn't use a lot of stamina, so you can just stunlock a lot of enemies to death (and backstabs/crits are brutal). I only have it at +2 and I'm only up to Undead Settlement, but I'm pretty happy with it. I tried the uchi, but it just felt kind of slow and weird after the dagger.

Vikar Jerome posted:

This game is harder than my first time playing ds1 where i spent hours in the graveyard because i was dumb. ds2 has softened me up way too much.

enemy tracking is insane. its loving great.
For some reason DS3 seems slightly easier to me than 2. I'm not sure why (and I played 2 a few hours last week, so I don't think it's just from playing Bloodborne in between the two...?

Internet Kraken posted:

Wonder how all those people that complained about DS2 having too many enemies feel about 3, cause it has way more in the average encounter than either 1 or 2.
It really depends on how you play. I generally go really slow (if people were watching me they'd probably shoot themselves), and I haven't had much trouble kiting a single enemy rather than having to fight an X-on-1. Even places where it's set up for an ambush (like that one spot right before you open up the shortcut on the High Wall) you can just back up or back off a bit and you can usually get the closest dude to continue being aggro while the rest of them wander off in confusion. If you have any kind of ranged ability--even just a lovely unupgraded bow--you can pull single dudes too.

BlackFrost posted:

So is it just impossible to invade someone if they're by themselves? I don't summon much and haven't been invaded a single time. I just tried to invade five times and each time was against a team of three people, which isn't even remotely fun.
Nah. I was just invaded by a mound maker and it was 1-on-1. I even had the loving Blue Covenant thing equipped, and no one showed up. :(

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2016

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

I made a little video celebrating the early hours of Dark Souls 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twy4cYsbxXg

And yes, I have played the other games in the series. Why? What's wrong? :downs:

That was good, and you should feel good.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

DS2's dlc is probably the best part of the entire game so whoever you heard that from is a dumbass

Yep, this. DS2 was fun, and better than 1 in some game-mechanics ways, but 1 was the better game overall, and 2 left me kinda "meh" in comparison. But when I played the DLC I was impressed as hell, and it was hugely better than the base game.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Atreiden posted:

Yes. Though I think you have to hit it once before throwing the next charm

Nope. I just wait for it to finish yawning and stretching and go back to the normal "waiting to kill you" pose.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

Help me out with this dual torch build please

The torch does lovely damage, even fully upgraded, and can't be buffed/infused/enchanted.
It also can't do crits, so...yeah. Good luck with that. Maybe someone else will have a brilliant idea.

Mzbundifund posted:

Buy two torches and equip one in each hand.

I'm surprised at how loudly I laughed at this. :thumbsup:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for Dark Souls III Let's Plays or streams (preferably first playthroughs)? :3:

Game's been out for a while now and I really enjoyed having that stuff on my second monitor when leveling my Nth character in DS1/2.

I enjoyed watching Generation Hollow's blind playthrough. He's fun to watch and listen to, and really loves the game.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

I cooped literal thousands (probably? the in-game counter stops at 999:59:59) of hours of Dark Souls 2 with my partner, due to us being temporarily divided by an ocean. It turned out to be a fun way of spending time together in a virtual space. When we got engaged, the ring I got him was based on the Name-Engraved Ring you have to use to coop
DS2 has its faults but it's the most chill game of all Souls

That's heartwarming as hell. :kiddo:
Good for you.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I know this is the DLC thread, but the generic DS3 one seems kinda dead.

I swear to god, sometimes this game knows what you want and just tells you to go eat poo poo.

I decided I wanted to play around with the flamberge on a new character and have been doing laps around the cliff underside bonfire killing that one thrall (and the workers) for two hours now. I've gained...six? seven levels? and I've gotten a handful of titanite shards from the fucker along with 3 hoods. I've also gotten about 4 complete sets of worker gear and 3 fire gems, but no flamberge.

Anyone feel like dropping a sign there and handing me one? I'm currently level 27. (I'm unsure about regions or the best way to set that up if there is one--I'm normally just a PVE guy.)

I'm also hoping that just by posting this it will drop, since poo poo often works like that.

Edit: Got it. : p

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

axolotl farmer posted:

There's another DS3 thread??? :confused:

I just assumed there was from the title of this one (and assumed it was dead after I couldn't find it in the first few pages).
:shrug: