Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Couple of quick questions.

Is it possible to get a ring that makes you move through the swamp easier before you get to it? (like getting the rusted iron ring before Blighttown in DS1).

Where can you get a ring to increase your discovery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Video of 15 tips that many may not be aware of

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/13/a-dark-souls-expert-points-out-15-hidden-mechanics-in-dark-souls-3

Also having watched this video don't be afraid that you're going hollow from one of the NPCs. It has it's benefits.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Anyone? :(

I hate how rare titanite is in this game, if the sword is indeed garbage then it's still the only +4 weapon available to me for a while since I've gotten all the Large Shards available in the areas I've been.

Supposedly you can buy one from one of the NPCs in the game.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

He drops the games drake sword. So it makes sense, Its really not that hard after you get the broadsword though.

You mean the deep battle axe? Not really finding it that great. Seems pretty identical in damage to the battle axe I started with.

Which is confusing because it says it should be doing around 244 damage, both physical and dark. Yet it only does around 110.

Is the dark damage just not happening for some reason?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

So I saved the dude who wants to draw out my ~truuuuue powaaaaaaaah~ but I never took him up on the offer. Just talked a bunch and bought a spell from him. My character is now in blackface. How did I hollow? Is that a bug or should I just go all in on :unsmigghh: ?

Watch the video I posted above. It's advantageous to stay hollow and continue the quest line.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I just found out you can attack on ladders. This is a gamechanger (Press R2 for down, R1 for up)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I please get some general game advice. Each time I try to play this in general I find myself just dying to everything that so much as looks at me the wrong way. I don't know what happened to me between Bloodborne and this but fully kitted out Knights are almost garunteed to slaughter me and these zombiemen that explode into goop eels just shred me if I don't throw a firebomb or two at them first.

I don't want to give up on the game at the starting gate, not like that but really finding it hard to play when I feel this weak damage output wise.

Batttle Axes can stagger Knights.

With my warrior I'd just block until I got an opening and then whaled on the Knight till he recovered. Dodge away, rinse, repeat.

It doesn't work all the time. Every once in a while blocking is ineffective. But for the most part it works.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

HGH posted:

I feel like some of the best fights in the game are on the backend this time around. The penultimate plot boss was a great challenge for me and the music was absolutely fantastic. Best take on a certain boss formula so far I'd say.

Also can anyone figure out what the gently caress happened to the giant Crystal Lizard in the first minute of this video? Like, what the hell even killed it?

Hopefully you found it by now but if you haven't, you're looking at the wrong corpse. The one you're looking for is way earlier in Undead Settlement, hanging on the building near the first fat woman.

I'm gonna go and guess this is gonna be one of the bigger stopping points in the game. Figuring out parries and dealing as much damage to the phantom as he summons it are downright critical.

Oh man I hope parrying doesn't become a necessity. I'm getting better but still find it unreliable and dangerous to do.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Looking at the armor on the wiki page, doesn't seem like there's not much difference in terms of protection. The highest physical defense for chest armor is only 17, not much more than the 12 you can find regularly.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Thinking about the difference in armor sets though, maybe DS3 calculates how damage is reduced differently than DS1? Like maybe the difference between 17 and 12 resistant is far greater than it was in DS1.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So came across this video that explains how damage reduction works, and it's well, kinda weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKc9ejlUYs

Essentially there are two types of reduction, flat damage reduction and damage. Flat reduction is what is subtracted from whatever damage you experience. So say if you got hit by 300 damage and you have strike resistance of 100, then your damage is reduced to 200. The next number is absorption, which is the percent is used to calculate how much of the damage you experience, after the flat damage. So in this case if you have 10% absorption, then your armor would absorb 10% of 200, or 20, so your final damage is 180.

Here's the really weird thing. All armor has the exact same amount of flat damage. A rag will give you the same amount as wearing heavy armor.

The difference comes into absorption. Heavy armor has a higher absorption rating than light armor. However once you pass 25%, the percentage of absorption doesn't actually match the percentage. So if you have 28% absorption, the actual percentage might be more around 26% of absorption reduction.

I tried to explain this as best as I understood, but watch the video

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I see that Darkwraiths have got an upgrade since DS1

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's been a while since I played through Demon's Souls. I watched a few boss videos on youtube yesterday, and I'd forgotten how forgiving certain elements of that game are. In a video of the Allant fight, someone had 99 Full Moon Grasses in their inventory, and he just kept spamming heals throughout the fight without any consequence. On top of being able to essentially carry an unlimited amount of items that heal you 100%, popping the grass recharges your health immediately. It doesn't slowly fill like it does with estus or lifegems. Allant also seemed really methodical. He telegraphs all of his attacks and gives you plenty of time to back off and heal.

I'd like to go back and play through Demon's Souls after I finish Dark Souls 3. I get the feeling that I'd tear through it pretty quickly, despite being terrible at it when I played through it originally and needing to cheese a bunch of the bosses.

Yea I only played a little bit of Demon's Souls. I'm going to go back and play that after finishing DS3. I wonder if I'll just breeze through it now.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

How do you determine how much a weapon disrupts and staggers poise? Is there a stat that shows it?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

This poison swamp fuckin sucks

You don't have to go through the deep area where you walk sluggish.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Emalde posted:

Broadsword, b/c jesus christ that weapon.
Lothric Knight Sword (if you went high on dex for spell speed)
Sunlight Straight Sword (can't be infused but can be enchanted, is cool for coop)
Astora Straight Sword
Bastard Sword
Flamberge
Uchigatana
etc etc etc Basically anything that needs 20/20 or less and has awful scaling even at +10 makes for perfect Chaos/Dark fodder.

What's so good about the broadsword?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I know it's been said before but that view after you come out of the Catacombs is just stunningly beautiful

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Can you still get to the top of fire link shrine without the tower key by using the tree jump method?

Having a hard time jumping up and wondering if they changed it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The only thing necessary to see player summon signs is be in ember form correct?

Just wondering since I don’t see any, though it’s an old game so makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Yes. If you can see NPC summon signs, you should be able to see player signs. Except for Anri at Aldrich’s and Gael at Friede’s, but those are exceptions.

I’m on PS4, and there are some areas that get very few signs. Where are you looking?

Aldrich. At the bonfire and at the gate.

Edit: now at Dancer: still no summon signs

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 6, 2024