Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

rolled a wizard on a lark because i've never played any of the DS games to completion as a spell caster, and i'm amazed at how flimsy you are in the starting wizard armor. i've previously read a ton of words by people that dissected the game code that has basically said "the benefit you get from wearing any armor is significant, but the increased defensive value between armors is almost nothing except in extreme edge cases" but i gotta say my experience doesn't follow that at all.

wearing the basic wizard robes i am getting 2-shot by a pus of man, whereas just putting on the crap-tier armor you can get from drops off zombies in highwall lets me take an extra 1-2 hits from the same thing. i know lol "you're not supposed to get hit at all dumb dumb" but it feels like the defensive benefits of armor are more noticeable than the online data mining has lead people to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kawabata posted:

Man I'm reaching the end of Ashes of Ariandel and it's a huge pile of poo poo, thread was right.

Highlights so far: getting 8 comboed in the back by some freddy krueger beetle thing that was lying in ambush, dying during a weird platforming vine section with archers knocking you off, beating R1 spamming dude and his wolf (that was a boss???), getting hosed up by vikings with infinite poise and infinite stamina spamming 360 swings forever.

This is even funnier when you consider that I bought the season pass because I was unsatisfied with the base game, thinking hey, maybe there's some cool new cont-

*gets stunlocked to death by 6 wolves*

IIRC there's very little unique loot in the entire snowfield area. you might as well just look at a map of the zone, figure out which specific item you want from there, beeline to it on a suicide run and then never go back. the entire DLC should have started at the rope bridge leading up to the church

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm on my first playthrough, currently making my way through Lothric Castle, and I had a question regarding heavy weapons. I'm usually a big Strength player in this series. I loved pancaking enemies in DS1 and while the ultraweapons felt a bit too floaty in DS2 for my taste, dual-wielding giant clubs was still a good time. So naturally I gravitated towards the same weapons in DS3 and have been using the Astora Greatsword for quite a while now. It works fine throughout the levels, but the bosses after the Catacombs have all given me a fair bit of trouble. It feels very hard to fight them with a slow weapon because they leave such a small window of opportunity between their attack combos. Even a single attack can lead to them getting a hit in. Pontiff in particular cost me a lot of deaths. I finally caved in and switched to a straight sword for that fight, at which point I won first try.

Long story short, what am I doing wrong? Or rather, how do you properly use heavy weapons against some of the faster bosses in this game?

astora GS isn't really a heavy weapon for strength builds. there's a bunch of other weapons you could use instead - my personal favorite is executioner's GS, many people swear by vordt's hammer, yhorm's machete is another cool weapon, there's a bunch of options.

my main strat for heavy weapons was leveraging poise / hyperarmor so that when i attacked a boss they couldn't interrupt my action, and i would likely power through whatever they were going to do. for example, sister friede is a fast lil' ninja, but she has no poise herself, so if you can just tag her with a heavy weapon swing you can usually fit in a whole combo before she flips away.

to get hyperarmor and leverage your poise, you basically have to use either great hammers, great axes, ultra great swords, or certain moves from other weapon sets (regular GS gets hyper armor on a few things). it's probably best to just google which weapon gets hyperarmor on which attacks and plan around that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Simply Simon posted:

I really, really hate "every enemy is a miniboss"-style design, for me it grinds the flow of exploration to a complete stop, and I'm usually just not consistent enough to kill like three minibosses in a row, so if I bite it on the third, I'm super annoyed. And then just run past the first two because I already proved I can do them. Which is really boring, then. It's great that it works for you, but I pretty much have the exact opposite reaction to what you describe as positive.

yeah the only time i can abide mini-boss level difficulty is if the enemy actually stays dead once you beat it. the crow knights especially are decently tough motherfuckers, and the fact that they keep coming back when you die is just infuriating.

also the main reason i didn't care for ashes is the fly monsters in the gore room at the end of the loop back to friede's chapel. i know it's a short area and it's mostly optional but that whole area is so disgusting i actually have a physical aversion to being there. makes me not want to complete the DLC on subsequent characters because i dread having to run through there.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kawabata posted:

That's what I felt from the start but a lot of people (itt too) swear by parrying every time you can. I tried parrying Pontiff, it was very hit and miss and punishment for failing was unreasonable so at some point I was like eeeeh I'll just hit him real hard and dodge his bombs.

the risk of a missed or partial parry is what frustrates most people with it, especially because the timing is a lot tighter than dodge-rolling or just blocking with your shield. i feel like parrying should be a guaranteed one-shot kill if you land it, because of how much worse it is to miss a parry.

it's also weird because it's the only defensive option that doesn't always work. it'd be like if there were attacks that removed all iframes from your dodge roll, or moves that always dealt damage to you even with a 100 defense shield. you have these two other options that work 100% of the time that are extremely easy to use, and then this other option that works sometimes if your timing is perfect and does some reprisal damage maybe. so most people don't bother to struggle through learning to parry consistently because even when you know how to do it perfectly there's still monsters and attacks that you can't parry, so you still have to use some backup defensive measure anyway

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Whalley posted:

I mean, I can't think of a time that you can parry an enemy and not get in a significant amount of reprisal damage as a result. Who the hell would bother blocking or dodging if parrying worked 100% of the time.

I'm not saying the timing's amazing; it's floaty and off and sometimes it really feels like you did everything just right and the game decided "no, this was an animation that had an Unparryable trigger on it, Accidentally" - but it also shouldn't be an easy replacement for blocking stuff. Somewhere in between where it's at now and what it was in DS1 would feel right.

it would definitely be improved if there were some kind of visual indicator on every move that can be parried, so at least you could know when you've got a shot and when you don't. could even be subtle, like the monster flashes red briefly when they're doing a parry-able attack. anything beyond "rote memorization for every monster for every attack they have and every sequence of attacks they can weave together"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It’s true that sometimes you’ll aggro more than one of them and they’ll just keep doing endless spinning attack chains and you’ll die

that's why. that's the whole reason why. "i don't understand why, except for this very obvious thing that I myself will acknowledge." the fact that pulling more than one at a time is basically a guaranteed game over is pretty frustrating.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sleekly posted:

Yeah thats what I meant. Don't stop people from playing, just give them a different group to play with.

wasn't that the point of the soft-bans in DS2? it basically put you in a special pool with other suspected cheaters, with the idea being "you guys can just gently caress around with each other if that's all you intend to do"

did they stop doing that for DS3? i recall my vanilla copy of DS2 on steam got softbanned because i was invading someone that had infinite health, so i fired up cheat engine to get around that, and when i killed them (by out-cheating basically) they threw a ton of shade at me over steam chat and said they were going to tell on me to FROM

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Digirat posted:

because they were implemented badly not because they’re a bad idea!!!

i think it was this. a competent, balanced rouge-like experience is an entire game in-and-of itself, and trying to bolt that onto a much more hand-curated experience like the souls games just isn't feasible within the development limits most companies are trying to operate. they could make a decent souls game WITH a well done rogue-like section but it'd take a significantly greater amount of time and money and it's not guaranteed that all the effort and expense would actually sell enough additional copies to justify the whole project.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

...! posted:

It's "Run Away: The Game!"

a lot of people are going to try and dunk on you, but i agree with what you said. ringed city was my least favorite DLC out of all the souls DLC and it was largely for the reasons you mentioned. it's weird because i like the sunken DLC in DS2 the best because it's such a cool puzzle cave, but i feel like the slower deliberate pace of DS2 played better with having a bunch of puzzle mechanics. DS3 is so much more manic, the whole game is teaching you how to have fast reflexes and think quick and gogogogogo and then throwing a bunch of puzzle encounters into the final DLC just felt frustrating. "oh cool this whole game moves 20x faster than DS2 and i've gotten used to that, WHOOPS the final DLC is intended for a more methodical play style :cool:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

"A few weakpoints to destroy" is a good way to have the player fight a giant enemy, but it works better if the destroyable parts can be locked onto and aren't too annoying to hit.

Rotten greatwood is fine, but it would be better if more weapons could reasonably reach the higher balls and you could lock onto them.
On the other hand, Wolnir does let you lock onto the weak points individually, but he's really just a casualty of being too drat fast to kill. He's ds3's pinwheel, except sometimes people who don't know to hit the rings actually die to him.

i'm hard pressed to come up with any encounter in the whole souls series where the boss is a mostly immobile giant thing and it's actually a fun fight

dragon king in 2-3, bed of chaos and ceaseless discharge in ds1, duke's dear freyja and ancient dragon in ds2, greatwood and wolnir and wyvern in ds3 - they are all like 1 note gimmick fights that suck